NATION

PASSWORD

Mail Bombs Sent to Clintons and Obama (Man Arrested)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Lone Alliance
Powerbroker

Founded: May 25, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Lone Alliance » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:00 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
The Lone Alliance wrote:Soros lives in Europe, gets a bomb the day before all this happens.
It would figure that it's the same people.

Unless he's getting a bomb in the mail from a completely different group?

Suburban New York. And the current assumption it's the same people behind all of the bombs. Why is that 'too coincidental' and for what?

So you're agreeing with me that it's likely the same guys then.

Why did his bomb get mailed a day before?

Was it a fuck up on their part, did their guy go early and get the day wrong?

I'm trying to think of other existing groups in the news...

Could have been members of that Californian right wing Hate group that got busted recently?

I wonder if we'll find out who did it before the Midterms.
Last edited by The Lone Alliance on Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger." -Herman Goering
--------------
War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; -William Tecumseh Sherman

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:04 pm

The Lone Alliance wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Suburban New York. And the current assumption it's the same people behind all of the bombs. Why is that 'too coincidental' and for what?

So you're agreeing with me that it's likely the same guys then.

Is there anyone theorizing that this is all just a massive coincidence that unrelated mail bombers all went after demonized Democratic figures?
The Lone Alliance wrote:Why did his bomb get mailed a day before?

Was it a fuck up on their part, did their guy go early and get the day wrong?

I couldn't tell you. I'm still not seeing what this is supposed to imply.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:06 pm

Did the people sending these bombs actually expect them to harm the people they where being sent to? I mean the people most likely to be harmed would have been the postal workers, since Clinton and Obama would never receive those mails. Both of them are under constant protection one as a former president, and the other has the former first lady (I don't think secretary of state gets permanent protection).
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:08 pm

Neutraligon wrote:Did the people sending these bombs actually expect them to harm the people they where being sent to? I mean the people most likely to be harmed would have been the postal workers, since Clinton and Obama would never receive those mails. Both of them are under constant protection one as a former president, and the other has the former first lady (I don't think secretary of state gets permanent protection).

They thought people would be fooled about the device's origins by putting DWS' campaign office as the return address. We're not exactly dealing with a criminal mastermind here.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 22, 2007

Postby United Dependencies » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:08 pm

Neutraligon wrote:Did the people sending these bombs actually expect them to harm the people they where being sent to? I mean the people most likely to be harmed would have been the postal workers, since Clinton and Obama would never receive those mails. Both of them are under constant protection one as a former president, and the other has the former first lady (I don't think secretary of state gets permanent protection).

They may not have intended it.

Keep in mind that many organizations used to phone in ahead of their bombings. The goal was not necessarily to kill people but to disrupt their lives and put them in fear. A bombing that is prevented can be just a fighting to victim (and would be victims) as a successful bombing.
Alien Space Bats wrote:2012: The Year We Lost Contact (with Reality).

Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

This is Nationstates we're here to help

Are you a native or resident of North Carolina?

The Lone Alliance
Powerbroker

Postby The Lone Alliance » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:09 pm

The Lone Alliance wrote:So you're agreeing with me that it's likely the same guys then.

Is there anyone theorizing that this is all just a massive coincidence that unrelated mail bombers all went after demonized Democratic figures?

I'm sure somewhere there is someone on the internet arguing that.

Cannot think of a name wrote:I couldn't tell you. I'm still not seeing what this is supposed to imply.

I was implying that it's all related, since you seem to agree with me I don't see how you don't get it.

I'm implying that whoever is doing this have to be a group. AKA not a single "Lone wolf" a lone wolf wouldn't have been able to make all these deliveries unless they were really booking it. (If all the bombs were like the CNN one with no post stamp)

If it's a group then it's likely it'll be easier to catch too.
Last edited by The Lone Alliance on Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger." -Herman Goering
--------------

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:09 pm

United Dependencies wrote:

They may not have intended it.

Keep in mind that many organizations used to phone in ahead of their bombings. The goal was not necessarily to kill people but to disrupt their lives and put them in fear. A bombing that is prevented can be just a fighting to victim (and would be victims) as a successful bombing.

Given the two who where sent to packages their lives are highly unlikely to have been significantly affected.
Just A Little though

Seangoli
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 24, 2006
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Seangoli » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:13 pm

Perhaps. The bombs were apparently very much live according to law enforcement, even though they were rudimentary in design.

That said, anyone dumb enough to buold these things (given their notoriety for blowing up in the creators hands) probably didnt think this through that well.

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 22, 2007

Postby United Dependencies » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:13 pm

Neutraligon wrote:Given the two who were sent to packages their lives are highly unlikely to have been significantly affected.

I bet that other lesser Democratic officials are hesitating before opening their mailboxes.

edit: However, I will certainly agree that we know nothing of the perpetrator at this point. Stupidity is just a likely possible.
Last edited by United Dependencies on Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alien Space Bats wrote:2012: The Year We Lost Contact (with Reality).

Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

This is Nationstates we're here to help

Are you a native or resident of North Carolina?

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:13 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
United Dependencies wrote:They may not have intended it.

Given the two who where sent to packages their lives are highly unlikely to have been significantly affected.

Did you miss the point where the entire Time Warner Center had to be evacuated after one of the bombs was sent to CNN?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:14 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:Given the two who where sent to packages their lives are highly unlikely to have been significantly affected.

Did you miss the point where the entire Time Warner Center had to be evacuated after one of the bombs was sent to CNN?

Just like it would get evacuated if there was a fire or anything else like that.
Just A Little though

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:15 pm

The Lone Alliance wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Is there anyone theorizing that this is all just a massive coincidence that unrelated mail bombers all went after demonized Democratic figures?

I'm sure somewhere there is someone on the internet arguing that.

I was implying that it's all related, since you seem to agree with me I don't see how you don't get it.

I'm implying that whoever is doing this have to be a group. AKA not a single "Lone wolf" a lone wolf wouldn't have been able to make all these deliveries unless they were really booking it. (If all the bombs were like the CNN one with no post stamp)

If it's a group then it's likely it'll be easier to catch too.

You started off wondering why no one blamed Russia and then said it was too coincidental as if only Russia could possibly organize 4 people in the same relative area. This is what I'm not getting, the level of organization you seem to think this requires.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

The Lone Alliance
Powerbroker

Postby The Lone Alliance » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:15 pm

Seangoli wrote:

Perhaps. The bombs were apparently very much live according to law enforcement, even though they were rudimentary in design.

That said, anyone dumb enough to buold these things (given their notoriety for blowing up in the creators hands) probably didnt think this through that well.

I doubt they are thinking at all if this was sincere.

So all the bombs detonate and kill all the ones responsible, what does the creator think will happen?
Creator will be hunted down and killed like a dog and his or her entire ideology will be utterly crushed in the United States forever.

Cannot think of a name wrote:You started off wondering why no one blamed Russia and then said it was too coincidental as if only Russia could possibly organize 4 people in the same relative area. This is what I'm not getting, the level of organization you seem to think this requires.

That's because I originally believed that the Soros bomb was in Europe. After you corrected that I reconsidered.
Last edited by The Lone Alliance on Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
--------------

Xmara
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 31, 2014

Postby Xmara » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:26 pm

Vassenor wrote:Right, so what do we actually know at this point?

That the bomber is likely a right wing extremist.
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
Status- Code Green- All clear
I mostly use NS stats, except for population and tax rates.
We are not Estonia.
A 16.8 civilization, according to this index.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

The Lone Alliance
Powerbroker

Postby The Lone Alliance » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:35 pm

Xmara wrote:

And he clearly doesn't like Democrats, CNN, and George Soros.
And he's not very good at making bombs.
And he either has a good vehicle or 2 or 3 people helping him.
--------------

Xadufell
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Xadufell » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:45 pm

Xmara wrote:

I'm sorry, let me reiterate their question; Right, so what do we ACTUALLY know at this point.
28 Year old autistic twat.
!!!WE MADE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Pro: Right Wing, Israel, The Donald, Guns, Free Speech, Capitalism, Switzerland, Germany, Britain leaving the EU, TEMPORARY ban on Muslims until everything gets sorted out, Republicans, Russia.
Anti: Hillary, Sanders, Democrats, Radical Islam, ISIS, Illegal Immigration, BLM (Because they obviously do.), Obama, MSNBC, Left Wing, Radical Anything (Virtually), Turkey, Trump Protesters who have no valid points.

Grinning Dragon wrote:Why would anyone waste a good bullet on the likes of CNN anyway? I don't understand why anyone would get that worked up over a bunch of dipshits, christ if their shit show is getting you that worked up, just turn the damn thing off and go for a walk/run/ride.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:47 pm

Xadufell wrote:
Xmara wrote:

I'm sorry, let me reiterate their question; Right, so what do we ACTUALLY know at this point.

A person or persons unknown sent explosive devices to political figures which were intercepted before they could reach their targets. There were some stickers on one and a bogus return address. That's about all, currently.
Insert trite farewell here

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:49 pm

Xadufell wrote:
Xmara wrote:

An unknown individual or group, possibly extremist, sent explosives to former Presidents Bill Clinton and Barack Obama and former candidate, First Lady, and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton with bogus info and fake stickers.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:49 pm

The Lone Alliance wrote:
Xmara wrote:

And he clearly doesn't like Democrats, CNN, and George Soros.

You shouldn't assume the perp is a male. It's somewhat more likely but not certain.
Insert trite farewell here

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:54 pm

Atheris wrote:
Xadufell wrote:

An unknown individual or group, possibly extremist, sent explosives to former Presidents Bill Clinton and Barack Obama and former candidate, First Lady, and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton with bogus info and fake stickers.

This unknown force also sent a pipe bomb to billionaire George Soros and television news station CNN.

We also know for certain that all of the explosives have been intercepted by law enforcement, with (to my knowledge) at least the package to Mr Soros detonated in a controlled demolition.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:02 pm

This is a correlation with Trump saying "there will be leftist violence", which, combined with our political polarization being the main factor, made someone send a bomb to all of these people.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

The Lone Alliance
Powerbroker

Postby The Lone Alliance » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:03 pm

Scomagia wrote:
The Lone Alliance wrote:And he clearly doesn't like Democrats, CNN, and George Soros.

You shouldn't assume the perp is a male. It's somewhat more likely but not certain.

I'm giving 70% odds it's male.
Now there might be a female involved though, terrorism is getting more gender equal these days.
--------------

Petrasylvania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrasylvania » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:07 pm

The South Falls wrote:This is a correlation with Trump saying "there will be leftist violence", which, combined with our political polarization being the main factor, made someone send a bomb to all of these people.

Like how all the Pizzagate meming convinced a moron to shoot up Comet Ping Pong and Pizza.
Last edited by Petrasylvania on Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be proof of a pan-Islamic plot and Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand, crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of mentally ill lone wolves who do not represent their professed belief system at all.
The probability of someone secretly participating in homosexual acts is directly proportional to the frequency and loudness of their publicly professed disapproval and/or disgust for homosexuality.
If Donald Trump accuses an individual of malfeasance without evidence, it is almost a certainty either he or someone associated with him has in fact committed that very same malfeasance to a greater degree.

New Flag Courtesy of The Realist Polities

Petrasylvania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrasylvania » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:09 pm

The Lone Alliance wrote:
Scomagia wrote:You shouldn't assume the perp is a male. It's somewhat more likely but not certain.

I'm giving 70% odds it's male.
Now there might be a female involved though, terrorism is getting more gender equal these days.

Wouldn't far right ideology be of the "Get in the kitchen and make me a sammich and babies, bitch" type?
Crimes committed by Muslims will be proof of a pan-Islamic plot and Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand, crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of mentally ill lone wolves who do not represent their professed belief system at all.
The probability of someone secretly participating in homosexual acts is directly proportional to the frequency and loudness of their publicly professed disapproval and/or disgust for homosexuality.
If Donald Trump accuses an individual of malfeasance without evidence, it is almost a certainty either he or someone associated with him has in fact committed that very same malfeasance to a greater degree.

New Flag Courtesy of The Realist Polities

Balican
Envoy

Founded: Oct 12, 2015
New York Times Democracy

Postby Balican » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:09 pm

The South Falls wrote:This is a correlation with Trump saying "there will be leftist violence", which, combined with our political polarization being the main factor, made someone send a bomb to all of these people.

I'm glad to see that some people in this thread aren't jumping to conclusions.
Economic Left/Right: .13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 5.78
Pro: Corneliu Codreanu, Jus Sanguini, Nationalism, Moral responsibiliy, Traditionalism.
Con: Cuckservatives, Liberalism as a whole, Israel, Communism, Islam, Welfare, NATO in it's current form, the UN.
Proud user of NS stats.
I am a monarchy.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General