NATION

PASSWORD

Thousands of Hondurans heading toward the US

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What should be done when it comes to the Hondurans heading toward the US

Let them into the US
30%
Do not let any of them into the US
42%
Its Mexico's problem so let them handle it
11%
US needs to liberate Honduras
11%
Not Sure
5%

Total votes : 619

Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator

Founded: Aug 03, 2016
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:31 am

South Ccanda wrote:
Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:May I ask the same of you?

I define a riot as any crowd of 10 or more people who use any means of violence (example: Pushing, shoving, fighting, throwing things, etc.) during any kind of protest.

Well, this wasn't a protest, ergo, it wasn't a riot.

Eastern Awes Comal
Civilian

Founded: Nov 23, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Eastern Awes Comal » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:34 am

I say let them in. Criminals are criminals, but I doubt most have any intent other than to escape the conditions back home.

South Ccanda
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby South Ccanda » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:35 am

Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:
South Ccanda wrote:I define a riot as any crowd of 10 or more people who use any means of violence (example: Pushing, shoving, fighting, throwing things, etc.) during any kind of protest.

Well, this wasn't a protest, ergo, it wasn't a riot.

i define protest as a group of people advocating for/against something and/or taking action to change a buisness, corporation, country, or ones own status
I am Center-Left Libertarian. (-3,-3) on the Political Compass. My friends call me Whiskey cause I was named after a bottle of Jack Daniel's.

I've been drowning myself in work, I just started Culinary School, and I recently got called a Boot Licker for thanking a veteran for their service. I'm sad that I have to witness the part of history where supporting Cops and Troops is seen and a radical ideology.
Updated on August 25th, 2020

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:41 am

Ifreann wrote:
Novus America wrote:
I am sure it did, although tear gas is a gas, not something that sticks to you.

But yes it surely sucked. But also sucked less than other options.

But yeah, parents who brought their children into the situation could almost certainly be charged with reckless endangerment.

Imagine if shooting broke out. Kids could have died.

The only way it could possibly be reckless endangerment to bring your children to the US/Mexico border is if Mexico treats the CBP as an inherent danger to life and safety. Is that what you think? That American federal agents are a danger to anyone who approaches them, like a lion, tiger, or bear?

Do not drag you kids into a riot against the Border Patrol.
Though actually the Border Patrol handled this much nicer than some other organizations might have.

People didn't drag their children into a riot against the CBP. They brought their children to the US/Mexico border so they could claim asylum in the US, which is still legal, and the CBP attacked them with tear gas.

Novus America wrote:
I am sure it did, although tear gas is a gas, not something that sticks to you.

But yes it surely sucked. But also sucked less than other options.

But yeah, parents who brought their children into the situation could almost certainly be charged with reckless endangerment.

Imagine if shooting broke out. Kids could have died.

The only way it could possibly be reckless endangerment to bring your children to the US/Mexico border is if Mexico treats the CBP as an inherent danger to life and safety. Is that what you think? That American federal agents are essentially equivalent to wild animals or a fire or a flood?

Do not drag you kids into a riot against the Border Patrol.
Though actually the Border Patrol handled this much nicer than some other organizations might have.

People didn't drag their children into a riot against the CBP. They brought their children to the US/Mexico border so they could claim asylum in the US, which is still legal, and the CBP attacked them with tear gas.

Where this occurred is clearly not near any legal entrance point, nor is it a commercial or residential area. It is a giant open sewer with a wall on the other side with no legal crossing.
There was absolutely no good reason to take kids across that sewer. The parents who do were completely unjustifiably reckless in doing so.

And the vast majority of the rioters appear to be adults males, though some of the pictures show adults literally dragging kids toward it.

You try to make this out to be that some kids were peacefully standing in line at the entry point and the Border Patrol used gas on them for no apparent reason.
But the videos show your BS narrative has nothing to do with reality.

The kids were taken there for no legitimate purposes, into a dangerous area they should not have been, to commit a crime.

Using kids a what appears to be human shields does not allow you to commit any crime without consequences.

And the tear gas was much safer for the kids than alternatives.
The Border Patrol did the right thing as it resolved the situation with no serious injuries or deaths. We cannot say the alternatives would have such a outcome.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:43 am

South Ccanda wrote:
Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:Well, this wasn't a protest, ergo, it wasn't a riot.

i define protest as a group of people advocating for/against something and/or taking action to change a buisness, corporation, country, or ones own status

I feel like this definition is too broad, to be honest, since by this logic, every group of people organized to accomplish something qualifies as a protest. By this logic, a middle school debate club is a protest, as it is a group of people advocating for/against something, as is a group of people going to a job fair, as it is a group attempting to change their own status.

Loben
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Loben » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:44 am

With some of the responses here you'd think Waffen SS armed with zyklon B gassed the crowd.

South Ccanda
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby South Ccanda » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:46 am

Loben wrote:With some of the responses here you'd think Waffen SS armed with zyklon B gassed the crowd.
they honestly make it sound like the second battle of Ypres lol
Last edited by South Ccanda on Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am Center-Left Libertarian. (-3,-3) on the Political Compass. My friends call me Whiskey cause I was named after a bottle of Jack Daniel's.

I've been drowning myself in work, I just started Culinary School, and I recently got called a Boot Licker for thanking a veteran for their service. I'm sad that I have to witness the part of history where supporting Cops and Troops is seen and a radical ideology.

Xadufell
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Xadufell » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:47 am

South Ccanda wrote:
Loben wrote:With some of the responses here you'd think Waffen SS armed with zyklon B gassed the crowd.
they honestly make it sound like the second battle of Ypres lol

They wouldn't be using tear gas if they didn't have a reason to.

But they're just doing it because ICE = KKK
ObViOuSlY
28 Year old autistic twat.
!!!WE MADE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Pro: Right Wing, Israel, The Donald, Guns, Free Speech, Capitalism, Switzerland, Germany, Britain leaving the EU, TEMPORARY ban on Muslims until everything gets sorted out, Republicans, Russia.
Anti: Hillary, Sanders, Democrats, Radical Islam, ISIS, Illegal Immigration, BLM (Because they obviously do.), Obama, MSNBC, Left Wing, Radical Anything (Virtually), Turkey, Trump Protesters who have no valid points.

Grinning Dragon wrote:Why would anyone waste a good bullet on the likes of CNN anyway? I don't understand why anyone would get that worked up over a bunch of dipshits, christ if their shit show is getting you that worked up, just turn the damn thing off and go for a walk/run/ride.

South Ccanda
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby South Ccanda » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:57 am

South Ccanda wrote:i define protest as a group of people advocating for/against something and/or taking action to change a buisness, corporation, country, or ones own status

I feel like this definition is too broad, to be honest, since by this logic, every group of people organized to accomplish something qualifies as a protest. By this logic, a middle school debate club is a protest, as it is a group of people advocating for/against something, as is a group of people going to a job fair, as it is a group attempting to change their own status.

well, protests have debates sooooo.
also, this is how merriam webster defines protest. "to execute or have executed a formal protest against (something, such as a bill or note)"
although it doesn't list many examples as i did, it can be assumed that my examples are just as valid.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:01 am

#everythingIdontlikeisHitler
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:01 am

South Ccanda wrote:
Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:I feel like this definition is too broad, to be honest, since by this logic, every group of people organized to accomplish something qualifies as a protest. By this logic, a middle school debate club is a protest, as it is a group of people advocating for/against something, as is a group of people going to a job fair, as it is a group attempting to change their own status.

also, this is how merriam webster defines protest. "to execute or have executed a formal protest against (something, such as a bill or note)"
although it doesn't list many examples as i did, it can be assumed that my examples are just as valid.

You, and by extension I, requested a definition "in your own words", but regardless, if it doesn't list examples, it didn't want to list examples.

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:02 am

South Ccanda wrote:
Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:I feel like this definition is too broad, to be honest, since by this logic, every group of people organized to accomplish something qualifies as a protest. By this logic, a middle school debate club is a protest, as it is a group of people advocating for/against something, as is a group of people going to a job fair, as it is a group attempting to change their own status.

Protests can’t really have debates. You can’t have thousands of people shouting different or varying beliefs. This is why chants and shouts are made, rather than a person on a pedestal talking to the other person. It’s why counter protests are stupid. They’re just people shooting at one another.
Name: Ted
I have hot takes, I like roasting the fuck out of bad takes, and I don't take shit way too seriously.
I M P E R I A LR E P U B L I C

South Ccanda
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby South Ccanda » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:05 am

South Ccanda wrote:well, protests have debates sooooo.

You, and by extension I, requested a definition "in your own words", but regardless, if it doesn't list examples, it didn't want to list examples.

and i delivered, but you didn't like it, thus i had my buddy Meriam Webster back me up. also, its a dictionary, it only needs to list a few examples, not all eamples

South Ccanda
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby South Ccanda » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:06 am

Holy Tedalonia wrote:
South Ccanda wrote:well, protests have debates sooooo.

Protests can’t really have debates. You can’t have thousands of people shouting different or varying beliefs. This is why chants and shouts are made, rather than a person on a pedestal talking to the other person. It’s why counter protests are stupid. They’re just people shooting at one another.

having personally attended a few protests, you actually can have a civil debate if the person opposite you decides that they want to come to a common ground rather than shout and chant.

Xadufell
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Xadufell » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:07 am

Vassenor wrote:

#everythingIdontlikeisHitler

Conglaturations, you're winner!
28 Year old autistic twat.
!!!WE MADE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Pro: Right Wing, Israel, The Donald, Guns, Free Speech, Capitalism, Switzerland, Germany, Britain leaving the EU, TEMPORARY ban on Muslims until everything gets sorted out, Republicans, Russia.
Anti: Hillary, Sanders, Democrats, Radical Islam, ISIS, Illegal Immigration, BLM (Because they obviously do.), Obama, MSNBC, Left Wing, Radical Anything (Virtually), Turkey, Trump Protesters who have no valid points.

Grinning Dragon wrote:Why would anyone waste a good bullet on the likes of CNN anyway? I don't understand why anyone would get that worked up over a bunch of dipshits, christ if their shit show is getting you that worked up, just turn the damn thing off and go for a walk/run/ride.

Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:08 am

South Ccanda wrote:
Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:You, and by extension I, requested a definition "in your own words", but regardless, if it doesn't list examples, it didn't want to list examples.

and i delivered, but you didn't like it, thus i had my buddy Meriam Webster back me up. also, its a dictionary, it only needs to list a few examples, not all eamples

It's not that I didn't like it. I didn't, but that wasn't the issue. The issue was that I can't think of a single circumstance where a group would be organized and it would not qualify as a protest according to your definition.

Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:09 am

South Ccanda wrote:
Holy Tedalonia wrote:Protests can’t really have debates. You can’t have thousands of people shouting different or varying beliefs. This is why chants and shouts are made, rather than a person on a pedestal talking to the other person. It’s why counter protests are stupid. They’re just people shooting at one another.

having personally attended a few protests, you actually can have a civil debate if the person opposite you decides that they want to come to a common ground rather than shout and chant.

It's a shame that so few people on either side are interested in listening.

South Ccanda
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby South Ccanda » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:10 am

South Ccanda wrote:and i delivered, but you didn't like it, thus i had my buddy Meriam Webster back me up. also, its a dictionary, it only needs to list a few examples, not all eamples

It's not that I didn't like it. I didn't, but that wasn't the issue. The issue was that I can't think of a single circumstance where a group would be organized and it would not qualify as a protest according to your definition.

Just because there are a few exceptions when it comes to my definition, it doesn't entirely discredit my definition.

South Ccanda
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby South Ccanda » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:11 am

South Ccanda wrote:having personally attended a few protests, you actually can have a civil debate if the person opposite you decides that they want to come to a common ground rather than shout and chant.

It's a shame that so few people on either side are interested in listening.

quite a shame

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:12 am

South Ccanda wrote:
Ifreann wrote:Trying to get by police officers isn't a riot.
may i ask how you would define a riot, in your own words, of course.

Some kind of serious mass violence and unrest.

Novus America wrote:
Ifreann wrote:The only way it could possibly be reckless endangerment to bring your children to the US/Mexico border is if Mexico treats the CBP as an inherent danger to life and safety. Is that what you think? That American federal agents are a danger to anyone who approaches them, like a lion, tiger, or bear?

The only way it could possibly be reckless endangerment to bring your children to the US/Mexico border is if Mexico treats the CBP as an inherent danger to life and safety. Is that what you think? That American federal agents are essentially equivalent to wild animals or a fire or a flood?

Where this occurred is clearly not near any legal entrance point, nor is it a commercial or residential area. It is a giant open sewer with a wall on the other side with no legal crossing.
There was absolutely no good reason to take kids across that sewer. The parents who do were completely unjustifiably reckless in doing so.

Why are you calling it a sewer?

And the vast majority of the rioters appear to be adults males, though some of the pictures show adults literally dragging kids toward it.

There weren't any rioters, because there wasn't a riot.

You try to make this out to be that some kids were peacefully standing in line at the entry point and the Border Patrol used gas on them for no apparent reason.
But the videos show your BS narrative has nothing to do with reality.

The CBP attacked them because the President doesn't want to give them asylum.

The kids were taken there for no legitimate purposes, into a dangerous area they should not have been, to commit a crime.

That the area was dangerous is only because the CBP attacked people.

Using kids a what appears to be human shields does not allow you to commit any crime without consequences.

No one was using kids as human shields.

And the tear gas was much safer for the kids than alternatives.

The alternative was to let them in. No danger in that.
The Border Patrol did the right thing as it resolved the situation with no serious injuries or deaths. We cannot say the alternatives would have such a outcome.

I'm confident that letting these people cross the border would not have caused any serious injuries or deaths.
He/Him

beating the devil
we never run from the devil
we never summon the devil
we never hide from from the devil
we never

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:14 am

Wow. Havent seen a godwin in awhile.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

South Ccanda
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby South Ccanda » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:20 am

Ifreann, they were in fact rioters, there was in fact a riot, and saying otherwise is just naive.
Last edited by South Ccanda on Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

South Ccanda
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby South Ccanda » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:25 am

"Just let them in, no harm in that."
Just letting them in is illegal. where they were trying to "Apply for asylum" was not a legal entrance point. What they did was illegal. tear gas is justified against a riot of criminal.

Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:27 am

South Ccanda wrote:
Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:It's not that I didn't like it. I didn't, but that wasn't the issue. The issue was that I can't think of a single circumstance where a group would be organized and it would not qualify as a protest according to your definition.

Just because there are a few exceptions when it comes to my definition, it doesn't entirely discredit my definition.

That's not what an exception is.
The Black Forrest wrote:

Wow. Havent seen a godwin in awhile.

To be honest, I think it's kind of ironic that the only people making Nazi comparisons are apparently doing so in reaction to Nazi comparisons.
South Ccanda wrote:Ifreann, they were in fact rioters, there was in fact a riot, and saying otherwise is just naive.

Could we please get off the semantics as to whether or not it was a riot and talk about, just a thought, whether or not the actions of the guards were justified as a reaction to the migrants and/or whether or not the actions of the migrants were justified as a reaction to the guards?
I can lawyer definitions all day if you really want to do that, but it's growing increasingly irrelevant to the topic at hand.

South Ccanda
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby South Ccanda » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:29 am

well, in order to figure out whether the gaurds actions were justified, we have come to a conclusion that it was a riot or a crowd of reasonable people they took action against.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General