NATION

PASSWORD

Right Wing Discussion Thread XIV: Join the Friendkorps

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:21 pm

Anyway, I apologize if I was overly harsh in this discussion. Hopefully amends can be made, and all can be forgiven.
< THE HIGH SWAGLORD | 8VALUES | POLITISCALES >
My NS stats are not indicative of my OOC views. NS stats are meant to be rather silly. My OOC political and ideological inspirations are as such:
The Republic, by Plato | Leviathan, by Thomas Hobbes | The Confucian civil service system of imperial China | The "Golden Liberty" elective
monarchy system of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth | The corporatist/technocratic philosophy of Henri de Saint-Simon | The communitarian
ideological framework of the Singaporean People's Action Party | "New Deal"-style societal regimentation | Kantian/Mohist/Stoic philosophy

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:28 pm

The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord wrote:
Novus America wrote:
We never went to war with the Soviets. Nuclear weapons and other deterrents are ultimately the great manager. I meant no matter what the financial cost (space exploration is expensive).
It should not be a strict ends justify the means competition.

And no, competition and conflict does not necessarily mean hate.

Also I am all good with condensing into fewer countries, as long as we have at least two.
Ideally three as that keeps a better balance.

Which is probably going to happen, the US, India and China being the dominant ones.

You mention that competition and conflict does not necessarily mean hate; if we are going to make an argument based upon "human nature", I've observed that when an "out-group" is designated, members of the "in-group" will hate the out-group with a passion. My countrymen hated the Soviet Union, and vice versa. Hate leads to strife, and strife will ultimately lead to destruction. The fact that we didn't wipe ourselves out is a stroke of random fortune, as there were plenty of instances where the Cold War could have turned hot. Had circumstances been even slightly different, a full-scale nuke fight could have erupted. Although, I am willing to settle for three supranational unions/"super-states" (The successors to the United States, India, and China, perhaps?) instead of a world-state, at least in the relatively short term.

The nuclear war scares were largely exaggerated.
Besides there are far fewer nuclear weapons now then there were then, and better communication and sensors.

We may have hated the Soviet Union but never hated its people.
Never tried the genocide Russians or anything.

But I am good with China, the US and India consolidating strength.

I would like the US to cover all North America and the Philippines. India can cover SAARC.
China can have Russia and most of the stans.
Not by invasion and imperialism hopefully, but by economic power, common interests and other ties hopefully.

Besides a competition with China is less ideological, leading to less hate.
Last edited by Novus America on Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Joohan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:36 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Joohan on Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you need a witness look to yourself

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism!

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:36 pm

Novus America wrote:
You mention that competition and conflict does not necessarily mean hate; if we are going to make an argument based upon "human nature", I've observed that when an "out-group" is designated, members of the "in-group" will hate the out-group with a passion. My countrymen hated the Soviet Union, and vice versa. Hate leads to strife, and strife will ultimately lead to destruction. The fact that we didn't wipe ourselves out is a stroke of random fortune, as there were plenty of instances where the Cold War could have turned hot. Had circumstances been even slightly different, a full-scale nuke fight could have erupted. Although, I am willing to settle for three supranational unions/"super-states" (The successors to the United States, India, and China, perhaps?) instead of a world-state, at least in the relatively short term.

The nuclear war scares were largely exaggerated.
Besides there are far fewer nuclear weapons now then there were then, and better communication and sensors.

We may have hated the Soviet Union but never hated its people.
Never tried the genocide Russians or anything.

But I am good with China, the US and India consolidating strength.

I would like the US to cover all North America and the Philippines. India can cover SAARC.
China can have Russia and most of the stans.

Besides a competition with China is less ideological, leading to less hate.

I mean, when I was in elementary school (about 2010-2011, perhaps?) the young man who sat next to me on the school bus declared that we should genocide the Russians, although he seemed to be under the impression that the USSR never fell...

Also, he was about 10 years old, I think, so he wasn't the best resource when it comes to international socio-political commentary. :p

Although in all seriousness, I do concede victory to you, at least in regards to the short term future of human civilization. I admit that it saddens me that the masses need an "other" to rally against, though.
Last edited by The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord on Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My NS stats are not indicative of my OOC views. NS stats are meant to be rather silly. My OOC political and ideological inspirations are as such:
The Republic, by Plato | Leviathan, by Thomas Hobbes | The Confucian civil service system of imperial China | The "Golden Liberty" elective
monarchy system of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth | The corporatist/technocratic philosophy of Henri de Saint-Simon | The communitarian
ideological framework of the Singaporean People's Action Party | "New Deal"-style societal regimentation | Kantian/Mohist/Stoic philosophy

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:36 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
I figured that you thought as such, given that you literally have "Down With the Enlightenment!" in your sig.

I don't wish to be impolite, but I have to disagree with you on this one, tbh.

It certainly could have ended better. Napoleon shouldn't have been exiled.

By the time Napoleon had taken power it was already too late. Anti-clericalism ( anti Christian in general ), radical republicanism, blank slate theory, atheism, and anti-traditionalism, had already sweeped it's way across Europe. The French Revolution and the hubris it stood for had already seeped its poison into the heart of Christian Europe.

The ancien regime was corrupt and a great many problems - but the revolution offered no cures.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:38 pm

The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord wrote:Anyway, I apologize if I was overly harsh in this discussion. Hopefully amends can be made, and all can be forgiven.

No worries, you did nothing wrong.
You are not forgiven simply because there is nothing to forgive :lol:
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:39 pm

Novus America wrote:The nuclear war scares were largely exaggerated.

I don't think that they were. The Cuban Missile Crisis came very close, as did Able Archer.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:42 pm

Joohan wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:It certainly could have ended better. Napoleon shouldn't have been exiled.

By the time Napoleon had taken power it was already too late. Anti-clericalism ( anti Christian in general ), radical republicanism, blank slate theory, atheism, and anti-traditionalism, had already sweeped it's way across Europe. The French Revolution and the hubris it stood for had already seeped its poison into the heart of Christian Europe.

The ancien regime was corrupt and a great many problems - but the revolution offered no cures.

:blink:

I mean I know you're traditionalist, but what exactly do you have against republicanism? I mean, I concur that the revolution was flawed, but the ancien regime needed to fall. I'm just mildly disappointed that the regime fell the way it did in our timeline.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:45 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Novus America wrote:The nuclear war scares were largely exaggerated.

I don't think that they were. The Cuban Missile Crisis came very close, as did Able Archer.

Vasili Arkhipov is probably full of BS. The other people on the submarine say he was.
Anyways during the crisis the Soviet nuclear forces were not in raised alert, the were not capable of launching a sudeem strike.

With Able Archer the Soviets actually thought it might be attack, but were paralyzed and did nothing. Then it ended. They never had the mentality required to pull the trigger first.

Besides with better sensors, better communications and the fact that the Chinese are less irrationally paranoid help.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:57 pm

Joohan wrote:

I mean I know you're traditionalist, but what exactly do you have against republicanism? I mean, I concur that the revolution was flawed, but the ancien regime needed to fall. I'm just mildly disappointed that the regime fell the way it did in our timeline.

Radical republicanism, as in a disdainn for ones royalty. Not necessarily just its individual members, but to the concept of the monarchy in general. Most early revolutionaries just wanted a reformed monarchy, not to destroy it and everyone associated with it.

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:02 pm

Joohan wrote:

Radical republicanism, as in a disdainn for ones royalty. Not necessarily just its individual members, but to the concept of the monarchy in general. Most early revolutionaries just wanted a reformed monarchy, not to destroy it and everyone associated with it.

I mean, I'm opposed to the concept of hereditary monarchy as a matter of political theory; the technocratic directorial council of "philosopher-kings" within my ideal state would merely be the highest ranking scholar-bureaucrats ("scholar-technocrats", perhaps? "scholar-officials"?) in the civil service of the executive branch.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:03 pm

Novus America wrote:Vasili Arkhipov is probably full of BS. The other people on the submarine say he was.

Source for that?

Novus America wrote:Anyways during the crisis the Soviet nuclear forces were not in raised alert, the were not capable of launching a sudeem strike.

They certainly would have been if that sub had either been sunk or fired its nuclear-tipped torpedo.

Novus America wrote:With Able Archer the Soviets actually thought it might be attack, but were paralyzed and did nothing.

Wrong. The significant activity in readying the Strategic Rocket Forces, as well as readying nuclear-capable aircraft, certainly doesn't look like paralysis to me. If NATO forces had been placed on increased alert in response, then it likely would have made the Soviets think that an attempted first strike by NATO was inevitable.

Novus America wrote:They never had the mentality required to pull the trigger first.

Their entire military doctrine in Europe involved the use of nuclear weapons to cut a swath through NATO lines, and they conducted significant simulated exercises that depended upon the use of nuclear weapons for success. Many of their weapons like the BMP were designed specifically with the intent of going through areas contaminated by NBC weapons used to create gaps in the enemy lines.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:05 pm

Volkari wrote:
Fahran wrote:This is a meme, and not an especially insightful one either. It perverts the complexity and beauty of a multitude of institutions and traditions - and appears to fundamentally misconstrue the telos of the state/nation and the essential characteristics of religion.

In regard to the multiplicity of institutions, I've stated that the corporations are the bedrock for my concept of what the state should be, and in regard to traditions, they're little better than scraps of paper.

Actually they're passed by word of mouth. And actions.
Volkari wrote:I've yet to see any of these mythical "Southern traditions." besides the glorification of a heinous slave-owning oligarchy which treated my ancestors like dirt while they raped their slaves' wives and sold their children into slavery.

You weren't raised in the south were you?
Kubumba Tribe's sister nation. NOT A PUPPET! >w< In fact, this one came 1st.
Proud Full Member of the Council of Islamic Cooperation!^u^
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS
https://americanvision.org/948/theonomy-vs-theocracy/ wrote:God’s law cannot govern a nation where God’s law does not rule in the hearts of the people

Democracy and Freedom Index
Plaetopia wrote:Partly Free / Hybrid regime (score 4-6) El-Amin Caliphate (5.33)

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:08 pm

Joohan wrote:

I mean, I'm opposed to the concept of hereditary monarchy as a matter of political theory; the technocratic directorial council of "philosopher-kings" within my ideal state would merely be the highest ranking scholar-bureaucrats ("scholar-technocrats", perhaps? "scholar-officials"?) in the civil service of the executive branch.

Well in my ideal government Jesus would lead everything. Be being practical and attached to the real world, there are a lot of benefits to having a monarchy ( constitutional ). France didn't gain anything from its revolutions - the monarchy of the past was never so tyrannical as the republicans.

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:21 pm

Joohan wrote:

Well in my ideal government Jesus would lead everything. Be being practical and attached to the real world, there are a lot of benefits to having a monarchy ( constitutional ). France didn't gain anything from its revolutions - the monarchy of the past was never so tyrannical as the republicans.

I mean, if we’re going for “true” ideal, then we’d all be a quasi hive mind of perfectly moral automatons. But we all know that’s not going to happen. :p

In all seriousness, though, I take less issue with a constitutional monarchy; perhaps a compromise would be best in this case, with an indirectly elected constitutional monarch that serves until death, upon which the (vaguely corporatist, since hereditary aristocracy is absurd in my view) upper house of the legislature deliberates and selects a new ruler to be coronated. (or until kicked off the throne for failing to uphold the sacred duty of guardian of the state and the bringer of the common weal of the people)

The monarch would be granted much power, a “strong” executive branch, if you will. However, the monarch would ultimately be accountable to the collective will of the nation that they serve and champion (civic nation, that is; I’m not a particular fan of ethnic nationalism)

Any thoughts on this compromise?
Last edited by The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord on Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:58 pm

Joohan wrote:

I mean, if we’re going for “true” ideal, then we’d all be a quasi hive mind of perfectly moral automatons. But we all know that’s not going to happen. :p

In all seriousness, though, I take less issue with a constitutional monarchy; perhaps a compromise would be best in this case, with an indirectly elected constitutional monarch that serves until death, upon which the (vaguely corporatist, since hereditary aristocracy is absurd in my view) upper house of the legislature deliberates and selects a new ruler to be coronated. (or until kicked off the throne for failing to uphold the sacred duty of guardian of the state and the bringer of the common weal of the people)

The monarch would be granted much power, a “strong” executive branch, if you will. However, the monarch would ultimately be accountable to the collective will of the nation that they serve and champion (civic nation, that is; I’m not a particular fan of ethnic nationalism)

... we're not actually forming a government here. Just saying the Republicans were way worse than the monarchy

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:02 pm

Joohan wrote:

... we're not actually forming a government here. Just saying the Republicans were way worse than the monarchy

But through such discussions, we can better understand the nature of a just society and a just state, and how to best serve the common good when participating in public life/one’s civic duties.
Last edited by The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord on Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:14 pm

Nea Byzantia wrote:
I'm not saying any of this to bash Poland, I'm just trying to defend the Russian point of view as best I can. As I said earlier, I'm somewhat biased in this direction, being Greek and Orthodox.

The Russians were always there to help Greece, both back in the Byzantine days (the Varangian Guard was mostly comprised of Rus warriors, at least initially), and in more modern times (many Greeks took shelter in Russia during the Dark Times of the Ottoman Occupation, and the Russians were very kind hosts; also plenty of Russian volunteers came in the 1820s to help the oppressed Greeks fight the Ottoman Empire for our Independent). Our peoples have a very long and storied history together; of helping each other out, and backing each other up.

Lol, the "Xantho Genos" strikes again. I'm sure the Russians will help us take back Constantinople any day now.
What you probably wanted to say was that many Greeks, both on the Left and on the Right, have a long history of deluding themselves into thinking that Russia was always there for them, with usually abysmal consequences for our country.
O'er the hills and o'er the main.
Through Flanders, Portugal and Spain.
King George commands and we obey.
Over the hills and far away.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

Volkari
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 22, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Volkari » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:23 pm

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:
Volkari wrote:
In regard to the multiplicity of institutions, I've stated that the corporations are the bedrock for my concept of what the state should be, and in regard to traditions, they're little better than scraps of paper.

Actually they're passed by word of mouth. And actions.

I have no idea what this is supposed to be a response to.
El-Amin Caliphate wrote:
Volkari wrote:I've yet to see any of these mythical "Southern traditions." besides the glorification of a heinous slave-owning oligarchy which treated my ancestors like dirt while they raped their slaves' wives and sold their children into slavery.

You weren't raised in the south were you?

The only three states I've ever lived in have been Kentucky, Tennessee, and Georgia all my life, and my European ancestors all came to the New World from North Carolina. Clearly a Yank.
Proud Red White Blue Fascist
Giuseppe Mazzini wrote:So long as you are ready to die for humanity, the life of your country is immortal.
Fact: Uncle Sherman did nothing wrong

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:33 pm

Joohan wrote:

Good heavens that sounds Chinese. Neat.
Hoppean Libertarian, Acolyte of von Mises, Protector of Our Sacred Liberties
Economic Left/Right: 9.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:36 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:

Good heavens that sounds Chinese. Neat.

Is there a problem? I apologize if there is.
Last edited by The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord on Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:42 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:Good heavens that sounds Chinese. Neat.

Nah, I just admire Chinese aesthetic.
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:51 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:

Nah, I just admire Chinese aesthetic.

I mean, I took rather blatant inspiration from the Confucian system of scholar-officials (In fact, I take a lot of inspiration from Confucian philosophy, tbh). I merely updated the system to better reflect the needs of a modern industrial civilization. The underlying principles were generally always sound, though.

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:52 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:Nah, I just admire Chinese aesthetic.

I mean, I took rather blatant inspiration from the Confucian system of scholar-officials (In fact, I take a lot of inspiration from Confucian philosophy, tbh). I merely updated the system to better reflect the needs of a modern industrial civilization. The underlying principles were generally always sound, though.

Embrace Daoism, my friend.

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:56 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:

Embrace Daoism, my friend.

I’m not fond of the... chaotic aspects of Daoist thought. I prefer Confucianism’s emphasis on social harmony, dutiful propriety, and righteous conduct. L A W F U L G O O D G A N G

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General