NATION

PASSWORD

Right Wing Discussion Thread XIV: Join the Friendkorps

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:56 pm

Dresderstan wrote:Quebec would just be a French version of New England, we already have one.

Manifest Destiny has no stopping point.
Hoppean Libertarian, Acolyte of von Mises, Protector of Our Sacred Liberties
Economic Left/Right: 9.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:56 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Baltenstein wrote:
German anti-Frankism was religiously, rather than ethnically, motivated. Charlemagne was portrayed in a bad light because he was Catholic, unlike the Prussians.

...As was everyone in Western Christendom at the time.

And besides, Charlemagne and his sons were as much responsible for the emergence of Germany as he was for France.

Ahem, I explicitedly used the past perfect and was talking about Imperial Germany, not the present.
O'er the hills and o'er the main.
Through Flanders, Portugal and Spain.
King George commands and we obey.
Over the hills and far away.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

Aellex
Senator

Founded: Apr 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aellex » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:57 pm

Baltenstein wrote:
Western Vale Confederacy wrote:
>Germania was a LATIN term

ok barbarian

Yeah, but it was used to describe people from, well, Germany, which is where the Franks were originally from.

Interestingly, France in the Greek language is known as "Gallia" - from the Gauls. The Greek language holds the Frenchies' heritage in higher esteem than the French themselves do.

And interestingly, the Greeks are used as a synonym for homosexuals and degenerates (not even kidding or upping it up for the sake of bantz) in the French language.
It seems we both are pretty aware of who respectively founded and defined the national characteristics of our nations. :^)
Citoyen Français. Disillusioned Gaulliste. Catholique.

Tombé au champ d'honneur, add 11400 posts.

Member of the Committee
for Proletarian Morality

RIP Balk, you were too good a shitposter for this site.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:58 pm

Baltenstein wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:
...As was everyone in Western Christendom at the time.

And besides, Charlemagne and his sons were as much responsible for the emergence of Germany as he was for France.

Ahem, I explicitedly used the past perfect and was talking about Imperial Germany, not the present.

I thought that Germany would have praised Germany's past imperial incarnation in the HRE.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:00 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Baltenstein wrote:

I thought that Germany would have praised Germany's past imperial incarnation in the HRE.

They do. Otto's HRE.

The HRE that de-facto dissolved after Charlemagne's death is quietly ignored by German nationalists.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:00 pm

Aellex wrote:
Baltenstein wrote:
Yeah, but it was used to describe people from, well, Germany, which is where the Franks were originally from.

Interestingly, France in the Greek language is known as "Gallia" - from the Gauls. The Greek language holds the Frenchies' heritage in higher esteem than the French themselves do.

And interestingly, the Greeks are used as a synonym for homosexuals and degenerates (not even kidding or upping it up for the sake of bantz) in the French language.

Of course they are, I mean is there any nation you don't hold in whiny and completely unjustified contempt? :^)

And French people calling other nations effeminate is, as the English would say, a bit rich. I'm pretty sure if was you lot who introduced the concept of "decadence" to the world.
Last edited by Baltenstein on Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

Dresderstan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 18, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Dresderstan » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:03 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
Dresderstan wrote:Quebec would just be a French version of New England, we already have one.

Manifest Destiny has no stopping point.

I'm also not a fan of unnecessary HOI4 style border gore between the US and Canada by acquiring Quebec.

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:03 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Baltenstein wrote:

It was...a mixed bag. Imperial Germany - and the Nazis - liked the whole empire-thing, but they disliked the Catholic thing.

Keep in mind that I was talking about the Frankish Empire. The portrayal of the HRE - the one founded by Otto I. 150 years or so later - was more positive, yet not completely enthusiastic either. Do remember that Germany's bloodiest war in history had been fought between said HRE and German protestants (Martin Luther being hailed as one of THE national heroes in Imperial German and Nazi German popular historiography), and the modern incarnation of the HRE - the Austro-Hungarian Empire - was still around as a potential geopolitical rival (that is, until they were forced into being Germany's little junior partner).
Last edited by Baltenstein on Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:04 pm

Dresderstan wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:Manifest Destiny has no stopping point.

I'm also not a fan of unnecessary HOI4 style border gore between the US and Canada by acquiring Quebec.

Which is precisely why we can't stop at Quebec.
Hoppean Libertarian, Acolyte of von Mises, Protector of Our Sacred Liberties
Economic Left/Right: 9.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:07 pm

Also, for the record I actually like the French language.

They have some neato Crusader songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mxCiIXRaWY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kV3geloYzo

And hymns in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yzs7DZuuCEk

Of course, that's when France was actually cool :^)
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Aellex
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aellex » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:21 pm

Baltenstein wrote:Of course they are, I mean is there any nation you don't hold in whiny and completely unjustified contempt? :^)

And French people calling other nations effeminate is, as the English would say, a bit rich. I'm pretty sure if was you lot who introduced the concept of "decadence" to the world.

Our dislike and contempt is only ever justified. :^)

Silly Greek, it's not rich at all, you're just confusing acting like a woman with getting them. ;)
Won't lie tho, it's gonna be a little hard for you to pull a "no u" when you have a reputation for being sodomites since even before the classical era. :p

Member of the Committee
for Proletarian Morality

Autarkheia
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Autarkheia » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:23 pm

The Eternal Aulus wrote:Arabic is the lingua franca of Muslims, so yeah.

Again, I consider it to be an unnecessary aspect of Islam (i.e. everything has to be Arabic somehow).

Like I said, Catholics don't go around speaking Latin, they speak in their native tongue (and that includes the religious texts, which have been translated into God knows how many languages).
IME most Muslims use Arabic words more than Catholics use Latin and this is normal to them. Islam is practiced by a ton of different ethnicities from a large part of the world so it's one thing that unites them. Jews are the same with Hebrew. But unlike Muslims and Jews who often know at least basic Arabic and Hebrew, Catholics don't learn Latin at all anymore.
-
On that topic, Latin sucks. Boring language. Its daughter languages are okay though. As far as liturgical languages, I've always liked the appearance of Arabic and the sound of Hebrew.
Camelone wrote:On the topic of language what is everyone's opinion on constructed languages and their uses in a political context, good, bad, the road to complete government control over how people speak and think?
Conlangs are a hobby for dorky teens who want to use them for a sci-fi or fantasy board game or something. Imposing one on a whole nation wouldn't work. The most successful conlangs have barely any native speakers. The closest thing to this that has ever happened is when Zionism revived Hebrew and made it the language of Israel, but it wasn't a conlang but just a simplified and updated version of it.

Although Orwell popularized this trope, most linguists no longer think it is possible to control thought via language. I remember this was debunked in a linguistics class I took.
-
Going back to the discussion about Occitan, what are this thread's thoughts on preserving minority cultures? Shouldn't right-wingers want to do that because it's part of a nation's traditions and heritage?
We are free to believe that this is the century of authority, a century tending to the right, a Fascist century. If the XIXth century was the century of the individual (liberalism implies individualism) we are free to believe that this is the "collective" century, and therefore the century of the State.

Aellex
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aellex » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:25 pm

Salus Maior wrote:Also, for the record I actually like the French language.

They have some neato Crusader songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mxCiIXRaWY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kV3geloYzo

And hymns in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yzs7DZuuCEk

Of course, that's when France was actually cool :^)

Shush. :p

But yes, le roi Louis is a truly beautiful song and one I found myself knowing by heart from listening to it so much.
The French equivalent of Palastinalied is very good too : https://youtu.be/k-gTUUgZCQo

And to bury the war axe and any ill-feeling, here is some hymn to the glory of Albion's patron Saint :) : https://youtu.be/qT4pTWm8p0M

Member of the Committee
for Proletarian Morality

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:25 pm

Aellex wrote:
Baltenstein wrote:Of course they are, I mean is there any nation you don't hold in whiny and completely unjustified contempt? :^)

Our dislike and contempt is only ever justified. :^)

Silly Greek, it's not rich at all, you're just confusing acting like a woman with getting them. ;)
Won't lie tho, it's gonna be a little hard for you to pull a "no u" when you have a reputation for being sodomites since even before the classical era. :p

By "acting like a woman", do you mean wearing make-up, lipstick, pompous wigs, drowning yourself in perfume and prancing around in high heels and skinny tights?

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:30 pm

Autarkheia wrote:On that topic, Latin sucks. Boring language.

I don't know about that, it has provided us with many an ominous dramatic choir in Sci-Fi and/or Fantasy settings.
Last edited by Baltenstein on Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:38 pm

Canadensia wrote:They don't care if a few bleeding hearts need to be crushed in order to secure national sovereignty, and have kept their country largely intact because of this.

>Tfw protesting cultural suppression is just crocodile tears
Aellex wrote:
Novus America wrote:So you do actually admit the writing and pronunciation are different.

Because we don't write phonetically and neither do English or any language, lol.

Actually some languages are written phonetically.
The South Falls wrote:What's with all the france-hate in this thread?

Yeah I just wanted some fun banter about which language is best and now people are in a war over it :(
Valrifell wrote:
I unironically believe in the concept of a North American Union (USA, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean), but let's overlook that for a second...

Quebec would only join the US if the latter had strong guarantees that the French-Canadian language and culture would be preserved.

The US and, specifically, the state of Louisiana is perfectly fine with local folk trying to revive their creole language and culture, so they'll be fine.

Yeah, Louisana Creole is pretty cool.
Autarkheia wrote:Islam is practiced by a ton of different ethnicities from a large part of the world so it's one thing that unites them.

Yeah, and on top of the fact that we use Arabic in our Salaat (prayers), it shouldn't come as a surprise that natakallamu 3arby fee (we speak Arabic in) our conversations sometimes.
Autarkheia wrote:Going back to the discussion about Occitan, what are this thread's thoughts on preserving minority cultures? Shouldn't right-wingers want to do that because it's part of a nation's traditions and heritage?

Exactly! It's hypocritical tyat right-wingers wanna preserve culture when a bunch of immigrants come in but when there's various native cultures already in one's country they wanna kill it.
Kubumba Tribe's sister nation. NOT A PUPPET! >w< In fact, this one came 1st.
Proud Full Member of the Council of Islamic Cooperation!^u^
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS
https://americanvision.org/948/theonomy-vs-theocracy/ wrote:God’s law cannot govern a nation where God’s law does not rule in the hearts of the people

Democracy and Freedom Index
Plaetopia wrote:Partly Free / Hybrid regime (score 4-6) El-Amin Caliphate (5.33)

Aellex
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aellex » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:49 pm

Baltenstein wrote:
Aellex wrote:Our dislike and contempt is only ever justified. :^)

By "acting like a woman", do you mean wearing make-up, lipstick, pompous wigs, drowning yourself in perfume and prancing around in high heels and skinny tights?

I was more thinking of getting yourself rammed in the ass but I'd forgotten the helenic love for traps, my bad.

Member of the Committee
for Proletarian Morality

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:52 pm

Aellex wrote:
Novus America wrote:So you do actually admit the writing and pronunciation are different.

Because we don't write phonetically and neither do English or any language, lol.

Spanish, Korean, and Finnish, among other languages, write phonetically.
Of course English and French are both written by having a blind toddler throw letters handed to him by a monkey at a dartboard, but not every language is the same way.
Your claiming oversimplification is an admission of guilt.

Saying that English is just French spoken with a bad accent is also an oversimplification tho technically just as true. :^)

That's completely false. English is a creole language between Anglo-Saxon and Old Norse with significant numbers of French loanwords.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:56 pm

Diopolis wrote:
Aellex wrote:Because we don't write phonetically and neither do English or any language, lol.

Spanish, Korean, and Finnish, among other languages, write phonetically.

In the case of Spanish this isn't 100% true. The letter g has 2 different pronunciations.
Diopolis wrote:Of course English and French are both written by having a blind toddler throw letters handed to him by a monkey at a dartboard, but not every language is the same way.

:rofl:
Diopolis wrote:That's completely false. English is a creole language between Anglo-Saxon and Old Norse with significant numbers of French loanwords.

Yeah, why isn't English considered a creole language.
Kubumba Tribe's sister nation. NOT A PUPPET! >w< In fact, this one came 1st.
Proud Full Member of the Council of Islamic Cooperation!^u^
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS
https://americanvision.org/948/theonomy-vs-theocracy/ wrote:God’s law cannot govern a nation where God’s law does not rule in the hearts of the people

Democracy and Freedom Index
Plaetopia wrote:Partly Free / Hybrid regime (score 4-6) El-Amin Caliphate (5.33)

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:58 pm

Autarkheia wrote:
Again, I consider it to be an unnecessary aspect of Islam (i.e. everything has to be Arabic somehow).

Like I said, Catholics don't go around speaking Latin, they speak in their native tongue (and that includes the religious texts, which have been translated into God knows how many languages).
IME most Muslims use Arabic words more than Catholics use Latin and this is normal to them. Islam is practiced by a ton of different ethnicities from a large part of the world so it's one thing that unites them. Jews are the same with Hebrew. But unlike Muslims and Jews who often know at least basic Arabic and Hebrew, Catholics don't learn Latin at all anymore.
-
On that topic, Latin sucks. Boring language. Its daughter languages are okay though. As far as liturgical languages, I've always liked the appearance of Arabic and the sound of Hebrew.
Camelone wrote:On the topic of language what is everyone's opinion on constructed languages and their uses in a political context, good, bad, the road to complete government control over how people speak and think?
Conlangs are a hobby for dorky teens who want to use them for a sci-fi or fantasy board game or something. Imposing one on a whole nation wouldn't work. The most successful conlangs have barely any native speakers. The closest thing to this that has ever happened is when Zionism revived Hebrew and made it the language of Israel, but it wasn't a conlang but just a simplified and updated version of it.

Although Orwell popularized this trope, most linguists no longer think it is possible to control thought via language. I remember this was debunked in a linguistics class I took.
-
Going back to the discussion about Occitan, what are this thread's thoughts on preserving minority cultures? Shouldn't right-wingers want to do that because it's part of a nation's traditions and heritage?

Why else do you think I learned how to make Gumbo Z'herbes?
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:58 pm

Aellex wrote:
Baltenstein wrote:

I was more thinking of getting yourself rammed in the ass but I'd forgotten the helenic love for traps, my bad.

Fair enough, I think there was a fellow once whose name became a synonym for sexual perversion, he may have been Greek but he may also have been of a different, more depraved nationality, I think his name was Sados, or Sadicos, something like that? I can't quite remember it right.
Last edited by Baltenstein on Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:00 pm

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:
Diopolis wrote:Spanish, Korean, and Finnish, among other languages, write phonetically.

In the case of Spanish this isn't 100% true. The letter g has 2 different pronunciations.

If you're talking about the hard/soft g distinction, that's regularly marked and predictable from the orthography.
Diopolis wrote:Of course English and French are both written by having a blind toddler throw letters handed to him by a monkey at a dartboard, but not every language is the same way.

:rofl:
Diopolis wrote:That's completely false. English is a creole language between Anglo-Saxon and Old Norse with significant numbers of French loanwords.

Yeah, why isn't English considered a creole language.

Because it's been a creole for long enough to develop out of many of its creoley-er features.

Aellex
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aellex » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:01 pm

Baltenstein wrote:
Aellex wrote:I was more thinking of getting yourself rammed in the ass but I'd forgotten the helenic love for traps, my bad.

Indeed, I think there was a fellow once whose name became a synonym for sexual perversion, he may have been Greek but he may also have been of a different, more depraved nationality, I think his name was Sados, or Sadicos, something like that? I can't quite remember it right.

I mean, the fact that he was jailed or interned in asylum for most of his life rather than put in power or as a teacher for rulers is rather telling of the difference of attitude toward what he preached. :^)

Member of the Committee
for Proletarian Morality

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:05 pm

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:
Canadensia wrote:They don't care if a few bleeding hearts need to be crushed in order to secure national sovereignty, and have kept their country largely intact because of this.

>Tfw protesting cultural suppression is just crocodile tears
Aellex wrote:Because we don't write phonetically and neither do English or any language, lol.

Actually some languages are written phonetically.
The South Falls wrote:What's with all the france-hate in this thread?

Yeah I just wanted some fun banter about which language is best and now people are in a war over it :(
Valrifell wrote:
The US and, specifically, the state of Louisiana is perfectly fine with local folk trying to revive their creole language and culture, so they'll be fine.

Yeah, Louisana Creole is pretty cool.
Autarkheia wrote:Islam is practiced by a ton of different ethnicities from a large part of the world so it's one thing that unites them.

Yeah, and on top of the fact that we use Arabic in our Salaat (prayers), it shouldn't come as a surprise that natakallamu 3arby fee (we speak Arabic in) our conversations sometimes.
Autarkheia wrote:Going back to the discussion about Occitan, what are this thread's thoughts on preserving minority cultures? Shouldn't right-wingers want to do that because it's part of a nation's traditions and heritage?

Exactly! It's hypocritical tyat right-wingers wanna preserve culture when a bunch of immigrants come in but when there's various native cultures already in one's country they wanna kill it.

Certainly it is hypocritical to destroy local cultures, while claiming to protect yours.
I oppose the destruction of localized culture in the US.

I have no problem with Hawaii wanting to preserve Hawaiian culture, or Louisiana using the code Napoleon as the basis for their legal system.

I have no problem with other cultures, within reason.
If a cultures has values that are a threat to the rights of others, they have to reject that part before they come here though.

Also immigrants need to learn English, but they can keep their own language as well.

Not because English is better per se, but for the sake of safety and ease of administration.
Last edited by Novus America on Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:06 pm

Aellex wrote:
Baltenstein wrote:
Indeed, I think there was a fellow once whose name became a synonym for sexual perversion, he may have been Greek but he may also have been of a different, more depraved nationality, I think his name was Sados, or Sadicos, something like that? I can't quite remember it right.

I mean, the fact that he was jailed or interned in asylum for most of his life

Was that before or after you gave him a position of government? Oh wait - it was both! Well done France, well done.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General