NATION

PASSWORD

Right Wing Discussion Thread XIV: Join the Friendkorps

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:19 am

Aellex wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:French is abhorrent in sound and spelling.

That's German.

Novus America wrote:Besides for all the French crap about keeping it pure, it is just poorly pronounced Latin

That's Italian.

with bad grammar and spelling.

And that one is actually just English. :^)

French is little more than Italian with incomprehensible pronunciation.

English is a bastardized North German/Latin/French/others combo, true.
But we do not pretend it is something else.
We do not try to protect the “purity” of the English language because we know that is silly.

My problem is no with French per se, although why have so many extraneous letters you do not prounouce?

My problem is when some French try to pretend it is something it is not.
Last edited by Novus America on Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Frievolk
Minister

Founded: Jun 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Frievolk » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:40 am

Novus America wrote:
Aellex wrote:That's German.

That's Italian.

And that one is actually just English. :^)

We do not try to protect the “purity” of the English language because we know that is silly.

My problem is no with French per se, although why have so many extraneous letters you do not prounouce?

Believe it or not, it's one of those exceptional times it's because they intentionally want to oppress other people, i.e. force other nationalities living in places they unilaterally declared as "Natural Borders of France" to lose their own identity. It's... surprisingly successful, because everyone's so used to the French being French nobody really reacts to it now. (And tbf when it started they weren't they only ones to do cultural genocide like that.)
OOC
Libertarian Constitutionalist
Part-time Anarchist
Anti-Monotheist
Iranian Nationalist
Templates
♔ The Frievolker Empire || Frievolker Kaiserreik
♔ The Realm in the Sun || De Reik in de Sonne
♔ Led by Kaiser Johann, Part of the Erstwelt
Never forget that the Muslims literally made up a new meaningless name for him when they forgot the name of Adam's Firstborn.

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:44 am

Aellex wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:French is abhorrent in sound and spelling.

That's German.

The eternal Frenchman strikes again. A man speaking German is masculine and impressive, a woman speaking German strikes fear.
Hoppean Libertarian, Acolyte of von Mises, Protector of Our Sacred Liberties
Economic Left/Right: 9.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

Aellex
Senator

Founded: Apr 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aellex » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:05 am

Novus America wrote:

"[X] romance language is little more than [Y] romance language with incomprehensible pronunciation! "
You're wrong tho.

No, because once the bun is already in the oven, it's too late to put on the belt. :^)

Like what? "s" or "x" at the end of words? They're the mark of plural. Could you give actual exemple rather than loudly ranting at nothing in particular?

In other words you just jelly. :'D
Citoyen Français. Disillusioned Gaulliste. Catholique.

Tombé au champ d'honneur, add 11400 posts.

Member of the Committee
for Proletarian Morality

RIP Balk, you were too good a shitposter for this site.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:11 am

Aellex wrote:
Novus America wrote:

"[X] romance language is little more than [Y] romance language with incomprehensible pronunciation! "
You're wrong tho.

No, because once the bun is already in the oven, it's too late to put on the belt. :^)

Like what? "s" or "x" at the end of words? They're the mark of plural. Could you give actual exemple rather than loudly ranting at nothing in particular?

In other words you just jelly. :'D

Why have a plural mark you do not prounounce?

No, hardly. I do not think liguistic purity is actually meaningful, when it is just a combination of pretentiousness and an the case of France, Parisian cultural imperialism.

I do not support using a pretentiousness to crush linguistic diversity and local dialects and accents.

We English speakers need not overcompensate. We have the biggest vocabulary... :)
You are just jealous of our massive, always growing vocabulary.
Last edited by Novus America on Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:17 am, edited 4 times in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Aellex
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aellex » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:13 am

Northern Davincia wrote:The eternal Frenchman strikes again. A man speaking German is masculine and impressive, a woman speaking German strikes fear.

To quote Charles Quint, "One speaks Latin to God, French to men, Italian to women and German to horses."
Ugliness and roughness is neither masculine nor impressive except to those that feel that they need to compensate for something. :^)

Member of the Committee
for Proletarian Morality

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:14 am

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:The vowels are more of an issue with spoken Arabic.

Actually it's not because you know what someone is saying. When writing it doesn't use vowels so you have to guess what someone's saying.
Northern Davincia wrote:Hebrew writing is an eyesore for me, but it's marginally better than chicken scratch.

>Calling Arabic chicken scratch
Boy you waiting for somethin lol.

What makes Latin so good?

Precise, easy to read and write, with a complex grammar that cultivates and develops the intellect and a pleasing sound.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Aellex
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aellex » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:21 am

Frievolk wrote:Believe it or not, it's one of those exceptional times it's because they intentionally want to oppress other people, i.e. force other nationalities living in places they unilaterally declared as "Natural Borders of France" to lose their own identity. It's... surprisingly successful, because everyone's so used to the French being French nobody really reacts to it now. (And tbf when it started they weren't they only ones to do cultural genocide like that.)

Novus America wrote:Why have a plural mark you do not prounounce?

It's pronounced tho, you make the "liaison" and add a "z" sound when followed by a vowel.
Not to mention that writing is important.

No, hardly. I do not think liguistic purity is actually meaningful, when it is just a combination of pretentiousness and an the case of France cultural imperialism.

I do not support using a pretentiousness to crush linguistic diversity and local dialects and accents.

Too bad it rustle your jimmies but we're a Nation-State based not on an ethnicity but a culture and we're thus going to feel that this culture and its language are important and worth protecting when they're literally the pillar our country is built on. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member of the Committee
for Proletarian Morality

Frievolk
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Frievolk » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:30 am

Aellex wrote:
Frievolk wrote:Believe it or not, it's one of those exceptional times it's because they intentionally want to oppress other people, i.e. force other nationalities living in places they unilaterally declared as "Natural Borders of France" to lose their own identity. It's... surprisingly successful, because everyone's so used to the French being French nobody really reacts to it now. (And tbf when it started they weren't they only ones to do cultural genocide like that.)

posting a meme about genocide doesn't make it any less of a genocide.
OOC
Part-time Anarchist
Anti-Monotheist
Iranian Nationalist
Templates
Never forget that the Muslims literally made up a new meaningless name for him when they forgot the name of Adam's Firstborn.

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:31 am

Aellex wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:The eternal Frenchman strikes again. A man speaking German is masculine and impressive, a woman speaking German strikes fear.

To quote Charles Quint, "One speaks Latin to God, French to men, Italian to women and German to horses."
Ugliness and roughness is neither masculine nor impressive except to those that feel that they need to compensate for something. :^)

I usually speak Latin to God, Spanish to men and English to women, and Esperanto or French to dogs and horses.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:31 am

Aellex wrote:

Novus America wrote:Why have a plural mark you do not prounounce?

It's pronounced tho, you make the "liaison" and add a "z" sound when followed by a vowel.
Not to mention that writing is important.

No, hardly. I do not think liguistic purity is actually meaningful, when it is just a combination of pretentiousness and an the case of France cultural imperialism.

Too bad it rustle your jimmies but we're a Nation-State based not on an ethnicity but a culture and we're thus going to feel that this culture and its language are important and worth protecting when they're literally the pillar our country is built on. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So you admit your writing and pronunciation are inconsistent.
I agree written and spoken French are basically two different languages.
I can read some French, but cannot make out the incomprehensible slur used to pronounce it.

The US is also a Nation State built not on ethnicity.
But we are self confident enough in our nation to not freak out when people in Noo Yawk City prounounce something different than someone in Washington DC.

What makes Parisian alone the only source of French culture? I guess everyone outside the city limits are just ignorant backwards barbarians needing to be crushed then?
Though basically that has been how France has believed and operated the past 500 years or so.

Overcompensating for lack of genuine self esteem... :)
Last edited by Novus America on Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

The Eternal Aulus
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 10, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Eternal Aulus » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:35 am

Diopolis wrote:
The Eternal Aulus wrote:Because sometimes the essence of words become lost in translation. This is especially the case in most Semitic languages which have words and/or wordplay which may loose its meaning when translated. I think staying close to the ''source language'', or original language as you will, is very important especially for religions. It's also why Arabic is considered a subject of theology in the classical Islamic educational curriculum.

That's why the Roman Catholic Church kept its mass in Latin until the Second Vatican Council. And they still do in Tridentine mass.

But even latin mass only Catholics don't walk around throwing random chunks of latin at people.

When I go to a Latin mass that does happen sometimes though. It's not uncommon.
Muslim
Islamist
And, behold, with every hardship comes ease: - Quran 94:5
RWDT's favorite Dutchman. A middle school teacher in philosophy and religion.
RIP Joch 12/11/2017 - DoS - 2young2bdeleted

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:40 am

The Eternal Aulus wrote:
Diopolis wrote:But even latin mass only Catholics don't walk around throwing random chunks of latin at people.

When I go to a Latin mass that does happen sometimes though. It's not uncommon.

I've seen it happen before, but usually either as an in joke or by complete weirdos. It's certainly not a normal thing unless both parties actually speak latin- and that's not very common.

The Eternal Aulus
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Eternal Aulus » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:41 am

Diopolis wrote:
The Eternal Aulus wrote:When I go to a Latin mass that does happen sometimes though. It's not uncommon.

I've seen it happen before, but usually either as an in joke or by complete weirdos. It's certainly not a normal thing unless both parties actually speak latin- and that's not very common.

The priest spoke in Latin. Ie the mass itself was in Latin.

Then again, it was a tridentine mass.
Muslim
Islamist

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:42 am

The Eternal Aulus wrote:
Diopolis wrote:I've seen it happen before, but usually either as an in joke or by complete weirdos. It's certainly not a normal thing unless both parties actually speak latin- and that's not very common.

The priest spoke in Latin. Ie the mass itself was in Latin.

Well, duh, but I've never seen any latin that was random.

Aellex
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aellex » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:56 am

Novus America wrote:So you admit your writing and pronunciation are inconsistent.

Never said such a thing, tho. Don't really see how you can infer that from what qi said neither.

Gross oversimplification tho formal written French do use tense that sound weird when used when speaking orally.
I can read some French, but cannot make out the incomprehensible slur used to pronounce it.

Sounds like the problem comes from you because French being quite flat is the easiest Latin language to pronounce.

lmao :rofl:

But we are self confident enough in our nation to not freak out when people in Noo Yawk City prounounce something different than someone in Washington DC.

We probably have more accents than you do from the one "Chantant du Midi" passing by my beloved Lyonnais one and the Picard and Breton one not to mention the Aquitain one or even with the Maghrébin or Jewish one and no one have a problem with any of them.
It seems what you're ranting about only exist in your head again. : /

What makes Parisian alone the only source of French culture? I guess everyone outside the city limits are just ignorant backwards barbarians needing to be crushed then?
Though basically that has been how France has believed and operated the past 500 years or so.

And more angry waving of your fist at the sky for something that only exist within your head.
I'm not sure what to say at that point because you seem so distached from the subject you're bitching about I'm not even sure that you yourself know what you're actually angry at. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Say he who get an existential crisis at people not liking his language. :lol2:

Member of the Committee
for Proletarian Morality

The Eternal Aulus
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Eternal Aulus » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:57 am

Diopolis wrote:
The Eternal Aulus wrote:The priest spoke in Latin. Ie the mass itself was in Latin.

Well, duh, but I've never seen any latin that was random.

I do find it disappointing honestly. I'd love to see the faces of post-Vatican II boomers being confused when the priest does the mass in Latin.
Muslim
Islamist

Aellex
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aellex » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:58 am

Frievolk wrote:
Aellex wrote:

TIL that mandatory, free education is genocide.
Welp, you got me I suppose.

Member of the Committee
for Proletarian Morality

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:07 pm

Aellex wrote:
Novus America wrote:So you admit your writing and pronunciation are inconsistent.

Never said such a thing, tho. Don't really see how you can infer that from what qi said neither.

Gross oversimplification tho formal written French do use tense that sound weird when used when speaking orally.

Sounds like the problem comes from you because French being quite flat is the easiest Latin language to pronounce.

lmao :rofl:

We probably have more accents than you do from the one "Chantant du Midi" passing by my beloved Lyonnais one and the Picard and Breton one not to mention the Aquitain one or even with the Maghrébin or Jewish one and no one have a problem with any of them.
It seems what you're ranting about only exist in your head again. : /

And more angry waving of your fist at the sky for something that only exist within your head.
I'm not sure what to say at that point because you seem so distached from the subject you're bitching about I'm not even sure that you yourself know what you're actually angry at. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Say he who get an existential crisis at people not liking his language. :lol2:

So you do actually admit the writing and pronunciation are different.
Your claiming oversimplification is an admission of guilt.

Ha, anyways you guys hate our language so much you listen to even our bad music all the time.

He. I do not care how much you hate. So long as you fear. :twisted: I know people claim to hate English.
But I do not care. It is conquering anyways.
You hate only because you fear, and mourn the loss of your language’s dominance.

English has surpassed France as the language of international trade, science and communications.
So why should we need be jealous?
We won. Our language might also be an ugly mess, but we still beat your ugly mess like a drum.

And if you are denying Parisian cultural imperialism and political oppression you might need to review some French history, just saying. :)
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Canadensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Canadensia » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:29 pm

Frievolk wrote:
Aellex wrote:

Calling the Vergonha a genocide is a stretch that renders the term meaningless.

It was cultural ethnicide, at most. And one which much of Western civilization should have emulated. Whereas much of the Western world has been plagued with separatism and internal disunity since the 20th century, the French nation-state has largely remained united. And while France undeniably has its glaring internal problems (the yellow vest movement being an obvious indication of just how disconnected its elites are from the bulk of the French population), it has consistently maintained national cultural unity at home, to the point where separatism is practically a non-issue, with no serious internal separatist movement threatening the integrity of the French state.

Compare this state of affairs with a country like the UK, which lost the bulk of Ireland in the 1920's (and had to fight a decades-long guerrilla war to keep what little land it held onto in Ulster) and is currently in the process of losing Scotland to a separatist party. Or Spain, which has divided itself into "autonomous communities", yet still finds itself plagued by separatism in the Basque country and Catalonia. Hell, even my own country of Canada is a good example, considering how we've pretty much given up on national unity in favour of multiculturalism and bribing Quebec not to separate.

Like it or not, cultural unity is absolutely crucial to the integrity of a state, and no Western nation does this better than France. They don't care if a few bleeding hearts need to be crushed in order to secure national sovereignty, and have kept their country largely intact because of this.

Frievolk
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Frievolk » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:29 pm

Aellex wrote:
Frievolk wrote:posting a meme about genocide doesn't make it any less of a genocide.

TIL that mandatory, free education is genocide.
That's as much a mandatory free education for the victimized cultures as the holocaust was a free train ride and you know it.
OOC
Part-time Anarchist
Anti-Monotheist
Iranian Nationalist
Templates

Aellex
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aellex » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:32 pm

Novus America wrote:So you do actually admit the writing and pronunciation are different.

Because we don't write phonetically and neither do English or any language, lol.
Your claiming oversimplification is an admission of guilt.

Saying that English is just French spoken with a bad accent is also an oversimplification tho technically just as true. :^)
Ha, anyways you guys hate our language so much you listen to even our bad music all the time.

That's just capitalism, my dear. We listen to whatever is pushed forward but most of it is still Francophone, if you want to make sure of that, you can just turn on your radio and listen to what's airing on NRJ. ;)

He. I do not care how much you hate. So long as you fear. :twisted: I know people claim to hate English.
But I do not care. It is conquering anyways.
You hate only because you fear, and mourn the loss of your language’s dominance.

English has surpassed France as the language of international trade, science and communications.
So why should we need be jealous?
We won. Our language might also be an ugly mess, but we still beat your ugly mess like a drum.

Enjoy it while it last, the Han is around the corner and you're likely to suffer the same fate you're gloating of right now. :^)
As for us, we're doing just fine, thanks you very much. The time of Flamboyant Imperialism has passed but we've secured our gains and will hold on to them and see them fructify, our language and culture will continue to grow much to your anal pain as you've been so exemplarily showing. :lol2:
And if you are denying Parisian cultural imperialism and political oppression you might need to review some French history, just saying. :)

I'm not really seeing how it somehow ties to your inane rant, tho, that's all.

Member of the Committee
for Proletarian Morality

Aellex
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aellex » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:36 pm

Frievolk wrote:
Aellex wrote:TIL that mandatory, free education is genocide.
That's as much a mandatory free education for the victimized cultures as the holocaust was a free train ride and you know it.

Lmao, because providing schooling for all children in the official language of the country is tots the same thing as murdering 6 millions jews.
Do you even listen to yourself when you're speaking?

Member of the Committee
for Proletarian Morality

Frievolk
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Frievolk » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:38 pm

Aellex wrote:
Frievolk wrote:That's as much a mandatory free education for the victimized cultures as the holocaust was a free train ride and you know it.

Lmao, because providing schooling for all children in the official language of the country is tots the same thing as murdering 6 millions jews.
Do you even listen to yourself when you're speaking?

In the context of destroying practice of native cultures and languages, yes. Yes it is. Hence cultural genocide.
OOC
Part-time Anarchist
Anti-Monotheist
Iranian Nationalist
Templates

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:40 pm

The fact that the French have named themselves after a Germanic tribe (you'd think that if the frogs were soooo proud about their nation they would pick a native name) make their silly antics in regards to the English language all the more laughable.
O'er the hills and o'er the main.
Through Flanders, Portugal and Spain.
King George commands and we obey.
Over the hills and far away.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General