NATION

PASSWORD

Right Wing Discussion Thread XIV: Join the Friendkorps

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:49 am

Valrifell wrote:
Novus America wrote:
Based on empiricism we still know what works, and what does not though.

Sure, you could argue that a united Earth government or communism would fail for other reasons but do note that the default and singular nature of mankind (if such a thing exists) is an awful justification for your premise.

But we have is empiricism to work from.
We have no reason to believe a unified government would work, and more importantly every reason to believe it will not.

And we do know competition and struggle brought us closest to the stars.

So it better to use what we know works, than try something we know is harmful.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:50 am

The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord wrote:
Novus America wrote:
Your mistake is assuming it is a problem in the first place.
Creation requires destruction.

We cannot reach the stars if we stagnate. Only with two separate competing groups trying to colonize the more star systems than the other will we do so.

And if if we had a single civilization it would tear itself apart with internal conflicts.

Again conflict is not necessarily a bad thing. It can in fact be a good thing (managed properly).

But why do you assume that conflict is the only reason why one desires to reach the stars? Why do you assume that a single civilization would tear itself apart? Would we all not be as brothers and sisters striving ever onward towards excellence, towards the eternities of the heavens, but most importantly towards the Good? Why do you assume that brotherhood would lead to stagnation? Humanity could achieve wonders if we are united under a singular, glorious vision, if we are united in pursuit of the noble truths of what is Good.

An internal curiosity has inarguably driven human pursuits in the sciences for generations. If you removed the nationstate only funding "practical" projects and capitalists only funding "profitable" projects we'd have a lot of nice things.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:51 am

Novus America wrote:
Valrifell wrote:
Sure, you could argue that a united Earth government or communism would fail for other reasons but do note that the default and singular nature of mankind (if such a thing exists) is an awful justification for your premise.

We have no reason to believe a unified government would work, and more importantly every reason to believe it will not.

Yes, and I'm saying it's valid to argue your premise from those standpoints.

It is not valid, however, to argue your premise through "human nature". Particularly if you're going to act as if it's a) singular and b) not a very contestable thing in most philosophical circles.

The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:51 am

Novus America wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

Yet you haven't provided a sufficient reason to believe that we can't achieve unity. And we don't know that said unity would be harmful; we would be treading unexplored new ground, perhaps the beginning of a new chapter in the story of humanity.
< THE HIGH SWAGLORD | 8VALUES | POLITISCALES >
My NS stats are not indicative of my OOC views. NS stats are meant to be rather silly. My OOC political and ideological inspirations are as such:
The Republic, by Plato | Leviathan, by Thomas Hobbes | The Confucian civil service system of imperial China | The "Golden Liberty" elective
monarchy system of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth | The corporatist/technocratic philosophy of Henri de Saint-Simon | The communitarian
ideological framework of the Singaporean People's Action Party | "New Deal"-style societal regimentation | Kantian/Mohist/Stoic philosophy

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:52 am

Valrifell wrote:
But why do you assume that conflict is the only reason why one desires to reach the stars? Why do you assume that a single civilization would tear itself apart? Would we all not be as brothers and sisters striving ever onward towards excellence, towards the eternities of the heavens, but most importantly towards the Good? Why do you assume that brotherhood would lead to stagnation? Humanity could achieve wonders if we are united under a singular, glorious vision, if we are united in pursuit of the noble truths of what is Good.

An internal curiosity has inarguably driven human pursuits in the sciences for generations. If you removed the nationstate only funding "practical" projects and capitalists only funding "profitable" projects we'd have a lot of nice things.

Why do you think so? It is always a matter of distribution of finite resources.
And what alternative is there?

We know during the 50s and 60s we said “fuck practicality” in favor of “beat the Soviets no matter the cost”, and it worked to get us to the moon.
Last edited by Novus America on Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:57 am

Novus America wrote:
Your mistake is assuming it is a problem in the first place.
Creation requires destruction.

We cannot reach the stars if we stagnate. Only with two separate competing groups trying to colonize the more star systems than the other will we do so.

And if if we had a single civilization it would tear itself apart with internal conflicts.

Again conflict is not necessarily a bad thing. It can in fact be a good thing (managed properly).

Because we came closest during a time of conflict and competition. We advanced most during a time of competition and conflict.

Because lack of conflict and competition has always lead to stagnation in the past.

Why do you assume conflict and competition (properly managed) are bad?

The best way to unite behind one vision is against a threat.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:02 am

Novus America wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

Why do you think so? It is always a matter of distribution of finite resources.
And what alternative is there?

A lot of cool things get discovered through the development of "pure" scientific research. NASA's completely non-utilitarian goals of the past years has offered breakthroughs in stuff like optics and mass communication, while the private sector and profit motive is also a good means to spread technology and "nice things" I am by no means convinced it is the only option available to us.

In fact, industrial and "private market" science is relatively new, even in a capitalistic framework, and only coming into being with Edison's labs in the early 20th century. Nowadays, due to an obsession with a return on investment, I think we're missing a lot of cool ideas that could be gathered from the peripherals of less "useful" research.

I mean, fighting over grant money is so bad that I've heard researchers spend more time writing proposals than actually doing the science.

Alternatives are iffy and I don't have a concrete solution since a lot of research apparatuses are resource-intensive, though I do think that question will be easier to answer if we ever get off this rock.

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:02 am

Novus America wrote:

Because we came closest during a time of conflict and competition. We advanced most during a time of competition and conflict.

Because lack of conflict and competition has always lead to stagnation in the past.

Why do you assume conflict and competition (properly managed) are bad?

The best way to unite behind one vision is against a threat.

Why do you assume that conflict and competition would be "properly managed"? As you even said, the mentality is "beat the [ENEMY GROUP] no matter the cost" (emphasis mine). People will do truly horrid and wicked things to the "out-group".
My NS stats are not indicative of my OOC views. NS stats are meant to be rather silly. My OOC political and ideological inspirations are as such:
The Republic, by Plato | Leviathan, by Thomas Hobbes | The Confucian civil service system of imperial China | The "Golden Liberty" elective
monarchy system of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth | The corporatist/technocratic philosophy of Henri de Saint-Simon | The communitarian
ideological framework of the Singaporean People's Action Party | "New Deal"-style societal regimentation | Kantian/Mohist/Stoic philosophy

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:03 am

Novus America wrote:We know during the 50s and 60s we said “fuck practicality” in favor of “beat the Soviets no matter the cost”, and it worked to get us to the moon.

In a goodly world, we'd be saying "fuck practicality" in any given situation.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:03 am

Novus America wrote:

Yet you haven't provided a sufficient reason to believe that we can't achieve unity. And we don't know that said unity would be harmful; we would be treading unexplored new ground, perhaps the beginning of a new chapter in the story of humanity.

Unless you can actually provide reason to believe we can achieve unity and it will not lead to stagnation, why should we believe it can or should work?

Over what we already know can work?

And it is not entirely new ground, we do know how the post Cold War end of history thing worked.
Or more accurately what a bad idea it was.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:07 am

Novus America wrote:

Unless you can actually provide reason to believe we can achieve unity and it will not lead to stagnation, why should we believe it can or should work?

And it is not entirely new ground, we do know how the post Cold War end of history thing worked.

The post-Cold War world wasn't unified. Sure there was one global hyperpower (U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!), but humanity was (and is) still fractured among 200-ish bickering, squabbling nation-states.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:14 am

Novus America wrote:

The post-Cold War world wasn't unified. Sure there was one global hyperpower (U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!), but humanity was (and is) still fractured among 200-ish bickering, squabbling nation-states.

Well it was based on the false premise that could and would unify around neoliberal globalism and liberal democracy. It was based on the premise of unity.

Sure it shows that even when we think we can unify we do not actually do so.

And how would we achieve unity?

And if we did achieve political unity many people would react against it, claim things were better before or better without.

Problem is your proposal involves us achieving real unity (something we have never done).

My proposal does not.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:21 am

Novus America wrote:

Well it was based on the false premise that could and would unify around neoliberal globalism and liberal democracy. It was based on the premise of unity.

And if we did achieve political unity many people would react against it, claim things were better before or better without.

Problem is your proposal involves us achieving real unity (something we have never done).

My proposal does not.

And in your proposal, you keep us all divided among in-groups and out-groups, commanding us to "hate thy neighbor", at least in my view. It's as if you seek to perpetuate a system which is deeply broken. A system that's... alien to me, I guess. I don't wish to be impolite, but I just... cannot fathom your perspective.

EDIT: I posted this earlier, and I genuinely want to know your answer: why do you assume that conflict and competition would be "properly managed"? As you even said, the mentality is "beat the [ENEMY GROUP] no matter the cost" (emphasis mine). People will do truly horrid and wicked things to the "out-group", y'know?
Last edited by The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord on Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:26 am

Genivaria wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:What difference does that make? That alone doesn't justify a single aspect of the Indian Wars.

Despite downturns in the market, the American economic plan was stable. No economy is safe from calamity. Even so, the US was relentless in pushing natives further and further west. These atrocities can not be morally dismissed because of an economic model.

Wasn't trying to justify it, I actually think I misunderstood what you're position was.
My apologies, I thought you were comparing the Indian Wars to the genocides the Nazis committed as an attempt to defend their economics.

If that wasn't what you were doing then I again apologize.

No need to apologize. My point was that no atrocity can be defended economically.
Hoppean Libertarian, Acolyte of von Mises, Protector of Our Sacred Liberties
Economic Left/Right: 9.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

Joohan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:32 am

The French revolution was a mistake
If you need a witness look to yourself

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism!

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:33 am

Joohan wrote:The French revolution was a mistake

I figured that you thought as such, given that you literally have "Down With the Enlightenment!" in your sig.

I don't wish to be impolite, but I have to disagree with you on this one, tbh.

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:35 am

Joohan wrote:The French revolution was a mistake

I figured that you thought as such, given that you literally have "Down With the Enlightenment!" in your sig.

It certainly could have ended better. Napoleon shouldn't have been exiled.
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:36 am

Northern Davincia wrote:

I mean, it could have ended better, but I find that it was still good that it happened at all.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:36 am

Northern Davincia wrote:

The best way for it to have ended would be Napoleon being declared Emperor of All Europe in Moscow.

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:51 am

Valrifell wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:It certainly could have ended better. Napoleon shouldn't have been exiled.

The best way for it to have ended would be Napoleon being declared Emperor of All Europe in Moscow.

^^^
This but unironically.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:52 am

Northern Davincia wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

^^^
This but unironically.

Who said I was being ironic?

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:55 am

Valrifell wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:^^^
This but unironically.

Who said I was being ironic?

Ce n'est jamais trop tard.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:02 pm

Novus America wrote:

My proposal does not.

And in your proposal, you keep us all divided among in-groups and out-groups, commanding us to "hate thy neighbor", at least in my view. It's as if you seek to perpetuate a system which is deeply broken. A system that's... alien to me, I guess. I don't wish to be impolite, but I just... cannot fathom your perspective.

EDIT: I posted this earlier, and I genuinely want to know your answer: why do you assume that conflict and competition would be "properly managed"? As you even said, the mentality is "beat the [ENEMY GROUP] no matter the cost" (emphasis mine). People will do truly horrid and wicked things to the "out-group", y'know?

We never went to war with the Soviets. Nuclear weapons and other deterrents are ultimately the great manager. I meant no matter what the financial cost (space exploration is expensive).
It should not be a strict ends justify the means competition.

And no, competition and conflict does not necessarily mean hate.
I realize China is our enemy, but I do not hate the people of China at all.

Also I am all good with condensing into fewer countries, as long as we have at least two.
Ideally three as that keeps a better balance.

Which is probably going to happen, the US, India and China being the dominant ones.
Last edited by Novus America on Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:08 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:It certainly could have ended better. Napoleon shouldn't have been exiled.

Maybe but that was not going to happen. The best (realistic) option would be Napoleon took a break after the Treaties of Tilsit and focused on consolidating his gains for a decade or so before trying an further conquests.

He tried to do to much too fast.
And lost it all.

Problem with all of nothing is you often get nothing.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:19 pm

Novus America wrote:

We never went to war with the Soviets. Nuclear weapons and other deterrents are ultimately the great manager. I meant no matter what the financial cost (space exploration is expensive).
It should not be a strict ends justify the means competition.

And no, competition and conflict does not necessarily mean hate.

Also I am all good with condensing into fewer countries, as long as we have at least two.
Ideally three as that keeps a better balance.

Which is probably going to happen, the US, India and China being the dominant ones.

You mention that competition and conflict does not necessarily mean hate; if we are going to make an argument based upon "human nature", I've observed that when an "out-group" is designated, members of the "in-group" will hate the out-group with a passion. My countrymen hated the Soviet Union, and vice versa. Hate leads to strife, and strife will ultimately lead to destruction. The fact that we didn't wipe ourselves out is a stroke of random fortune, as there were plenty of instances where the Cold War could have turned hot. Had circumstances been even slightly different, a full-scale nuke fight could have erupted. Although, I am willing to settle for three supranational unions/"super-states" (The successors to the United States, India, and China, perhaps?) instead of a world-state, at least in the relatively short term.
Last edited by The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord on Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General