NATION

PASSWORD

Pentagon's weapons easily hacked

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:11 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Northeast American Federation wrote:Stuff like this, even if it was just a test, is one of the few reasons I'm actually glad most of our nuclear missiles are run off cold war-era technology.

Yeah, I heard the DOD uses an old IBM from the seventies as a tertiary nuclear control system.

To be honest I genuinely believe that there are still useful applications of vacuum tube computers in some parts of the military, for example in areas where miniaturization and speed are not essential. I'm sure if someone designed a new vacuum tube computer using modern materials and expertise that it would be much smaller and more energy efficient than the old models.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:15 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:Yeah, I heard the DOD uses an old IBM from the seventies as a tertiary nuclear control system.

To be honest I genuinely believe that there are still useful applications of vacuum tube computers in some parts of the military, for example in areas where miniaturization and speed are not essential. I'm sure if someone designed a new vacuum tube computer using modern materials and expertise that it would be much smaller and more energy efficient than the old models.

That is logical.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Uxupox
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Uxupox » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:58 am

The New California Republic wrote:Every new weapons system that uses some kind of IT technology in it should be put through its paces by an IT OPFOR team, to test it for vulnerabilities before it is accepted for service. How that isn't standard OP already I will never know, as it isn't as if the computer age has suddenly creeped up on the military...

eh this "tends" to happen.
Economic Left/Right: 0.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.00

Previous

Return to General