NATION

PASSWORD

Having children and selfishness

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:31 pm

Forcing me to exist isn't selfish. It would be selfish if my existence were good for my parents. That also applies to anyone else really. Having children can be really expensive.

What is selfish is forcing your children to do what you always wanted to because you somehow think they care about the same things as you do. A musician can't be turned into a programmer just because their parents want it but they try anyways, for example. It just gets frustrating and is really selfish.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:45 pm

Saiwania wrote:
Soldati Senza Confini wrote:Yea, they push their kids to become doctors, bankers, or lawyers.

But they do it because the social circles they raised themselves in and they are raising their children in see a social value in becoming doctors, bankers, or lawyers, and children usually surround themselves with people who want to be doctors, bankers, or lawyers, so the child ends up becoming a doctor, banker, or lawyer.

The Jews wouldn't be gravitating towards medical, legal, or financial fields if those professions weren't paid well, it is all about the money. The stereotypes regarding Jews are true more often than not, those perceptions wouldn't exist if there wasn't some truth to it. Who can blame them for doing more of what it takes to become rich (on average) than other peoples?

Oh...

Is that why so many local law firms in Vancouver were run by Jewish partners/bosses?

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:50 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Saiwania wrote:
The Jews wouldn't be gravitating towards medical, legal, or financial fields if those professions weren't paid well, it is all about the money. The stereotypes regarding Jews are true more often than not, those perceptions wouldn't exist if there wasn't some truth to it. Who can blame them for doing more of what it takes to become rich (on average) than other peoples?

Oh...

Is that why so many local law firms in Vancouver were run by Jewish partners/bosses?

IM, Saiwania has very definite opinions on... well, most things really. It would be a mistake to blindly swallow them as the truth.

In any case, I don't think this thread is "On Distasteful and Outdated Opinions of Jewish People"

Luminesa wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
I'm not a parent but it is my belief that parents are there to help guide their children into fulfilling their own dreams. We shouldn't live, vicariously, through our kids. We hurt them and we hurt ourselves when we try to do that. Your child is not there to do what you didn't get to do at his or her age. Your child is there to live his/her life, his/her own dreams, with your guidance. Like you said, if we try to impose, we create another emotionally stunted person. A statistic.

Right. We have enough parents who laugh at their children in awkward situations (like the parents of shows like Toddlers n’ Tiaras and Dance Moms). Parents should give their children love, support, and wisdom, not the dreams they wished they had followed when they were 15.

In those type of shows, it seems to be the narcissistic parents (the "Mama Rose" parents -- if you've seen Gypsy), who live through their children, rejoice in the successes their children receive as being their personal successes and reject anything the child achieves for themselves as being insufficient or unacceptable.

They've been studying such parents since the times of Freud and Jung, and such parenting (as seen in Toddlers in Tiaras or Dance Moms) can cause lifelong harm, even up to PTSD.

I can't watch those shows; I always feel so sorry for those poor children.

I'm not a parent, but -- if I was -- the most important thing would be to raise a child who was supported and loved, and raised to be as happy and functional as they could be. That's why people should have children -- because they can support a child and want to raise them properly. Not to live their own life over.

A child is a human being. Not a Sim.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:32 am

The Free Joy State wrote:
Luminesa wrote:Right. We have enough parents who laugh at their children in awkward situations (like the parents of shows like Toddlers n’ Tiaras and Dance Moms). Parents should give their children love, support, and wisdom, not the dreams they wished they had followed when they were 15.

In those type of shows, it seems to be the narcissistic parents (the "Mama Rose" parents -- if you've seen Gypsy), who live through their children, rejoice in the successes their children receive as being their personal successes and reject anything the child achieves for themselves as being insufficient or unacceptable.

They've been studying such parents since the times of Freud and Jung, and such parenting (as seen in Toddlers in Tiaras or Dance Moms) can cause lifelong harm, even up to PTSD.

I'm not a parent, but -- if I was -- the most important thing would be to raise a child who was supported and loved, and raised to be as happy and functional as they could be. That's why people should have children -- because they can support a child and want to raise them properly. Not to live their own life over.

Sometimes the child needs to learn how to enjoy something and parents need to make them work harder on it. That still doesn't mean that parents should always make them do things the parents wanted. But I did learn to love music and now it's the only thing I want to do.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

The Commonwealth of Tennessee
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 20, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Commonwealth of Tennessee » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:17 am

I will say that a lot of my friends know I want to be a father later on in life. I wouldn't say me wanting to raise up some of my own lineage is selfish. I also wouldn't say that the idea of "forcing a life into the world against said life's wishes" is particularly correct, mainly because said consciousness didn't exist at the time of the two parents wanting to conceive a child. It's an interesting dilemma for sure, but I won't say that being a parent or wanting to have a child is selfish. I also wouldn't say that not wanting to a child is selfish. You'll see many examples of people not wanting kids, and others will criticize them for it. The people criticizing the former are actually self-centered themselves for wanting to put their mindest in the head of another.

Sorry if this is all over the place, it sounded good in my head.
If you've had the unfortunate experience of viewing my horribly antiquated political views, I apologize. I am a far different person than I was in 2016, so bear with me.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:27 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Oh...

IM, Saiwania has very definite opinions on... well, most things really. It would be a mistake to blindly swallow them as the truth.

In any case, I don't think this thread is "On Distasteful and Outdated Opinions of Jewish People"

Luminesa wrote:Right. We have enough parents who laugh at their children in awkward situations (like the parents of shows like Toddlers n’ Tiaras and Dance Moms). Parents should give their children love, support, and wisdom, not the dreams they wished they had followed when they were 15.

Oh I can’t watch them either. Aside from the obvious sexualization and exploitation, the parents are horrific people. You remember when a parent tried to dress their 3/4-year-old like the girl from Pretty Woman? She (the mom) said it was a “joke” and that she did it because she loves the movie, I was horrified.
Last edited by Luminesa on Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:43 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Oh...

So true. Good parents should take an active role in their childs life, encourage them to do new and exciting things, advise them, and when need be force them to do stuff like homework or discipline them for bad behavior. What they should never do is use them as a tool or as something to use to live out their dreams.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:15 pm

Saiwania wrote:
Soldati Senza Confini wrote:Yea, they push their kids to become doctors, bankers, or lawyers.

But they do it because the social circles they raised themselves in and they are raising their children in see a social value in becoming doctors, bankers, or lawyers, and children usually surround themselves with people who want to be doctors, bankers, or lawyers, so the child ends up becoming a doctor, banker, or lawyer.

That's true, but I fail to see how it addresses the point.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

The Batorys
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Batorys » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:15 pm

Welp, Saiwania has successfully threadjacked this into being about jews or something.

Great job, everyone.
Mallorea and Riva should resign
This is an alternate history version of Callisdrun.
Here is the (incomplete) Factbook
Ask me about The Forgotten Lands!
Pro: Feminism, environmentalism, BLM, LGBTQUILTBAG, BDSM, unions, hyphy, Lenin, Ho Chi Minh, Oakland, old San Francisco, the Alliance to Restore the Republic, and fully automated gay luxury space communism
Anti: Misogyny, fossil fuels, racism, homophobia, kink-shaming, capitalism, LA, Silicon Valley, techies, Brezhnev, the Galactic Empire, and the "alt-right"

DARGLED
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby DARGLED » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:51 pm

Wow.
I did not read the plethora of accounts here.
Ask you, person reading this, who cares?
It is you that determines what you do.
This question, meh.

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:31 am

Saiwania wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:With how disgusting your ideological stances are, it's not strange to me that you are lacking in the romantic department. I don't think it's career prospects or looks, it's just that what you believe in is frankly nauseating.

Lack of children at any age is not selfish or a sign of failure. It's of no concern to us if that's how you feel about lack of Aryan babies but it is the truth. And society needs to change their views about it. Having babies is not selfish, just like not having them isn't a failure.

I could be a liberal pantywaist and would still be unsuccessful. No, I insist that it is simply a mismatch between the predominant zeitgeist of my community and my innate personality. I'm simply the type that hates other people by default. It is far easier for me to mistrust someone than to leave myself open and thus become vulnerable to a negative outcome. Being like a hermit is my easiest and most natural inclination.

In a K-12 context, Emotionally Handicapped (EH) mostly just refers to unpopular children. I got labeled with that simply because I didn't do stuff expected of people in my age group. I never derived any satisfaction in making friends, going out of my way to talk to people, or to take unnecessary risks. That just wasn't me and never will be.

Should I eventually raise a kid, I most definitely am going to show them the IEP paperwork (if that applies) and make them aware of what the School District really thinks about them and will get them to proactively correct that straight away so that they won't be judged more negatively than is necessary. They'll be aware of the conspiracies of this world that tries to stay secret from them.

Most of everything I did wrong, ideally they'll do right. To get this outcome, it demands some degree of micromanagement and strict discipline. I could implement a series of 5 week plans for improvement on their part. Too much failure, shall have consequences. I'd rather they succeed where I failed and be hated, than to be loved but for them to have failed in equal measure.

Here's the real shit: if you are emotionally handicapped, this means you should never do anything that relies too much on contacts with others, especially forming a new human personality. You straight out don't have the ability to contact others to do so.

This is the reason I'm not planning on having children.
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
We are not Albania and I am not Albanian, FFS!
Male, gearhead, classic rock fan, gamer, agnostic.
Not sure if left-libertarian, ex-libertarian or without a damn clue.
Where you can talk about cars!
"They're always saying I'm a Capitalist pig. I suppose I am, but, ah...it ah...it's good for my drumming, I think." - Keith Moon,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:43 am

Saiwania wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:With how disgusting your ideological stances are, it's not strange to me that you are lacking in the romantic department. I don't think it's career prospects or looks, it's just that what you believe in is frankly nauseating.

Lack of children at any age is not selfish or a sign of failure. It's of no concern to us if that's how you feel about lack of Aryan babies but it is the truth. And society needs to change their views about it. Having babies is not selfish, just like not having them isn't a failure.

I could be a liberal pantywaist and would still be unsuccessful. No, I insist that it is simply a mismatch between the predominant zeitgeist of my community and my innate personality. I'm simply the type that hates other people by default. It is far easier for me to mistrust someone than to leave myself open and thus become vulnerable to a negative outcome. Being like a hermit is my easiest and most natural inclination.

In a K-12 context, Emotionally Handicapped (EH) mostly just refers to unpopular children. I got labeled with that simply because I didn't do stuff expected of people in my age group. I never derived any satisfaction in making friends, going out of my way to talk to people, or to take unnecessary risks. That just wasn't me and never will be.

Should I eventually raise a kid, I most definitely am going to show them the IEP paperwork (if that applies) and make them aware of what the School District really thinks about them and will get them to proactively correct that straight away so that they won't be judged more negatively than is necessary. They'll be aware of the conspiracies of this world that tries to stay secret from them.

Most of everything I did wrong, ideally they'll do right. To get this outcome, it demands some degree of micromanagement and strict discipline. I could implement a series of 5 week plans for improvement on their part. Too much failure, shall have consequences. I'd rather they succeed where I failed and be hated, than to be loved but for them to have failed in equal measure.

“What the school district REALLY thinks of them”, like an IEP is some sort of conspiracy. An IEP is an Individualized Education Plan for a child with special needs. An IEP doesn’t mean the school district is “out to get you”. It means that the child’s IEP team has made plans for how the child will make progress throughout the school year. Most children with emotional disorders are taught in a general classroom setting, and are given therapy to help them with their emotional disturbances.

You did not have an emotional disorder from what you described, because you (presumably) showed no signs of emotional behavior that was keeping you from normally interacting with your classmates and teachers. It’s not a term that refers to “unpopular children”. These are children with phobias, with fears, with lots of anger, or who might be painfully shy to a point that it keeps them from making interpersonal relationships. Do I sound like a textbook? Yes. Is this correct? Yes. Take some time to research IEPs. I had one for a mild speech impediment for many years, I promise the school district was never “out to get me”.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
-Alan Jackson

Jebslund
Minister

Founded: Sep 14, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Jebslund » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:46 am

Luminesa wrote:
Saiwania wrote:

“What the school district REALLY thinks of them”, like an IEP is some sort of conspiracy. An IEP is an Individualized Education Plan for a child with special needs. An IEP doesn’t mean the school district is “out to get you”. It means that the child’s IEP team has made plans for how the child will make progress throughout the school year. Most children with emotional disorders are taught in a general classroom setting, and are given therapy to help them with their emotional disturbances.

You did not have an emotional disorder from what you described, because you (presumably) showed no signs of emotional behavior that was keeping you from normally interacting with your classmates and teachers. It’s not a term that refers to “unpopular children”. These are children with phobias, with fears, with lots of anger, or who might be painfully shy to a point that it keeps them from making interpersonal relationships. Do I sound like a textbook? Yes. Is this correct? Yes. Take some time to research IEPs. I had one for a mild speech impediment for many years, I promise the school district was never “out to get me”.

The school district was out to get me as a kid with an IEP, but it wan't by forming an IEP. The IEP was for my own good and actually helped me, as much as I resented it. It was the fact that I wouldn't bow down and accept them as my new gods that had most of the teachers and administrations out to get me.

An IEP is nothing more or less than the school doing its job to make sure kids with disabilities can learn.
Jebslund is a nation of kerbals ruled by Emperor Jebediah Kerman. We reject tyranny, believing that rights should be protected, though we also believe said rights end where the rights of others begin.
Shockingly, we *do* use NS stats, with the exception of lifespan.
Singular sapient: Jebslunder
Plural Sapient: Jebslunden
Singular/Plural nonsapient: Kermanic
Note: When a verb can logically only be done by the sapient using/piloting/holding the object in question, then the appropriate demonym for the number of sapients is used.

Capitalism, Socialism, and Communism are ECONOMIC SYSTEMS. Stop conflating them with political systems.

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:55 am

Jebslund wrote: It was the fact that I wouldn't bow down and accept them as my new gods that had most of the teachers and administrations out to get me.

Many teachers and administrators are quite harsh towards students who express individuality or question authority in ways they don't like.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:17 am

Page wrote:
Jebslund wrote: It was the fact that I wouldn't bow down and accept them as my new gods that had most of the teachers and administrations out to get me.

Many teachers and administrators are quite harsh towards students who express individuality or question authority in ways they don't like.

Teachers, in general, want students that will turn in their work without making extra work for the teacher.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Jebslund
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Jebslund » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:18 am

Diopolis wrote:
Page wrote:

Teachers, in general, want students that will turn in their work without making extra work for the teacher.

And accept everything they say at face value even when demonstrably wrong.
Jebslund is a nation of kerbals ruled by Emperor Jebediah Kerman. We reject tyranny, believing that rights should be protected, though we also believe said rights end where the rights of others begin.
Note: When a verb can logically only be done by the sapient using/piloting/holding the object in question, then the appropriate demonym for the number of sapients is used.

Capitalism, Socialism, and Communism are ECONOMIC SYSTEMS. Stop conflating them with political systems.

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:26 am

Jebslund wrote:
Diopolis wrote:Teachers, in general, want students that will turn in their work without making extra work for the teacher.

And accept regurgitate everything they say at face value even when demonstrably wrong.

Fixed that for you.

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:28 am

Diopolis wrote:
Page wrote:

Which is fine, but not what I was talking about.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Jebslund
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Jebslund » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:40 am

Diopolis wrote:
Jebslund wrote:And accept regurgitate everything they say at face value even when demonstrably wrong.

Fixed that for you.

Not really. Accept is the proper word. And, then as now, I'm not going to accept something that is so wrong as to be easily proven wrong by someone much less knowledgeable on the subject as a whole.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:23 pm

Jebslund wrote:
Luminesa wrote:“What the school district REALLY thinks of them”, like an IEP is some sort of conspiracy. An IEP is an Individualized Education Plan for a child with special needs. An IEP doesn’t mean the school district is “out to get you”. It means that the child’s IEP team has made plans for how the child will make progress throughout the school year. Most children with emotional disorders are taught in a general classroom setting, and are given therapy to help them with their emotional disturbances.

The school district was out to get me as a kid with an IEP, but it wan't by forming an IEP. The IEP was for my own good and actually helped me, as much as I resented it. It was the fact that I wouldn't bow down and accept them as my new gods that had most of the teachers and administrations out to get me.

An IEP is nothing more or less than the school doing its job to make sure kids with disabilities can learn.

I’m glad you were able to get help, but I’m sorry you were treated so badly. :hug:
-Alan Jackson

-Ocelot-
Minister

Founded: Jun 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby -Ocelot- » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:55 pm

The Batorys wrote:So why is this the case, that the decision to have children is seldom regarded as selfish, yet the decision not to, often is?

Because of conflicting interests. This isn't an honest opinion.

There are many institutions that benefit from you choosing to raise many children. The state needs more taxpayers, some corporations rely on young consumers, the church needs new customers, the army needs young men etc. Of course you are "selfish" and "evil" and "degenerate" (depending on who you ask) when you decide to not raise any children.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General