NATION

PASSWORD

Party Gone South Scenario

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Would you help her?

Yes
49%
No
37%
Other
15%

Total votes : 41

Chernoslavia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chernoslavia » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:43 pm

Ifreann wrote:
Gun Manufacturers wrote:
I'd like to think that my friends would understand me calling the police about someone illegally breaking into my family member's house. Besides, if they're truly as horrible as you outlined in the OP, then why would I care anymore what they think?

IM seems to think that adults in the real world behave like American high school students behave in works of fiction.

Well, it's not too unrealistic. The setting being in Canada might be though.
What would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive? Or if during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand? The Organs would quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt!

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:01 pm

Ifreann wrote:
Gun Manufacturers wrote:
I'd like to think that my friends would understand me calling the police about someone illegally breaking into my family member's house. Besides, if they're truly as horrible as you outlined in the OP, then why would I care anymore what they think?

IM seems to think that adults in the real world behave like American high school students behave in works of fiction.

I’ve seen it

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:15 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Ifreann wrote:IM seems to think that adults in the real world behave like American high school students behave in works of fiction.

I’ve seen it

You've hung out with some pretty shitty people then.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:03 pm

Heloin wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
I’ve seen it

You've hung out with some pretty shitty people then.

I expect a great deal of cruelty, eventual ostracization, and opportunism from regular people. The crowd will alternatively join in or do nothing and watch; usually the intellectual ones will think of some insincere but on the surface, moral sounding justification for it. High level Politics is this way too it seems.

This op can stand for a metaphor for many similar scenarios.

For instance, right here someone in that crowd is probably saying: “well when we’re mocking them we’re really just educating them and strengthening their character. If you get dirty, you deserve to be called out on it.”
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Musselshell
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Musselshell » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:05 pm

"Felicie, I think you should adopt this new persona of fun loving, mud covered, party star. Try it for a few hours. I'll put my muddy pants back on, you put your jewels in the house, we'll roll dirty, and come do a keg stand with me. Maybe we can get Pierre to jump off your diving board. You can go back to old you tomorrow.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:08 pm

Musselshell wrote:"Felicie, I think you should adopt this new persona of fun loving, mud covered, party star. Try it for a few hours. I'll put my muddy pants back on, you put your jewels in the house, we'll roll dirty, and come do a keg stand with me. Maybe we can get Pierre to jump off your diving board. You can go back to old you tomorrow.

:rofl:

Pierre ????

What is this? We’re all bunch of Québécois now?

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:15 pm

Chernoslavia wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
The Camera is probably at the bottom. That ain’t realistic.

IM, no mud is that freaking deep lol.

It’s almost 12 inches high and the camera’s near the fall point; point us, she clearly won’t willingly stick herself in to find the thing.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:17 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
Rich Quebecois girls can be fairly fragile. She might make that protest, but you can ignore.

And medical Science shows that cold air and cold water doesn’t equal getting a cold.

The reason why there are more colds in the winter is because you are cooped up inside with people

I don’t think this is wildly known.

She’ll definitely think she can catch a cold and demand warm/hot water.

Musselshell
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Musselshell » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:24 pm

The way i see it is she didn't realize it was dress down and all the snide comments and meanness was a defense for her feeling like an outsider. There's also a chance she is full of herself and came dressed up to feel superior. Either way the accidental or intentional superiority persona is ruined, so why not see if she can be fun now that her pretensions are gone?

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:29 pm

Musselshell wrote:The way i see it is she didn't realize it was dress down and all the snide comments and meanness was a defense for her feeling like an outsider. There's also a chance she is full of herself and came dressed up to feel superior. Either way the accidental or intentional superiority persona is ruined, so why not see if she can be fun now that her pretensions are gone?

Because she’ll be further embarrassed and mocked probably?

Musselshell
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Musselshell » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:36 pm

If we go back and have a few beers, they'll get bored of mocking when they see we don't care. Try it for an hour. $20 loonies says I can get somebody to jump off the diving board on purpose.
Last edited by Musselshell on Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:50 pm

Musselshell wrote:If we go back and have a few beers, they'll get bored of mocking when they see we don't care. Try it for an hour. $20 loonies says I can get somebody to jump off the diving board on purpose.

tbh you probably COULD get someone else to jump intentionally, either as a joke or for some cash...

but there's still a world of difference between how they ended up with mud. It looks "cool" if you jump in on purpose and with self confidence...

when you were showing off dance moves and then... OH NO... falls shrieking... that's some serious embarrassment.

Also, no one else is wearing a Ralph Lauren top or jewellery =)
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Musselshell
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Musselshell » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:02 pm

Combine the effect of seeing that you've gotten over it, are having fun, and are actually a fun girl,
with the fact that a few others are now muddy, and you won't have to worry about being embarrassed. If you leave now, all anyone is going to remember is that you were the snob that got
what you deserved instead of the cool girl that turned into the life of the party...

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:04 pm

Musselshell wrote:Combine the effect of seeing that you've gotten over it, are having fun, and are actually a fun girl,
with the fact that a few others are now muddy, and you won't have to worry about being embarrassed. If you leave now, all anyone is going to remember is that you were the snob that got
what you deserved instead of the cool girl that turned into the life of the party...

You may have a point here

Musselshell
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Musselshell » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:12 pm

For real, watch the John Wayne movie McClintock, based off of The Taming of the Shrew. Right down to the mud bath. ole Billy S knows how to deal with the sitch...

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:14 pm

Musselshell wrote:For real, watch the John Wayne movie McClintock, based off of The Taming of the Shrew. Right down to the mud bath. ole Billy S knows how to deal with the sitch...

... is it obscene? 0_0

Musselshell
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Musselshell » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:23 pm

No. its probably pg? John Wayne. made in the 1960's , barely color, much less provocative.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:25 pm

Musselshell wrote:No. its probably pg? John Wayne. made in the 1960's , barely color, much less provocative.

oh

Musselshell
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Musselshell » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:25 pm

the snooty lead female even has red hair and high fashion until she gets muddy...

Chernoslavia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chernoslavia » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:27 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Chernoslavia wrote:

It’s almost 12 inches high and the camera’s near the fall point; point us, she clearly won’t willingly stick herself in to find the thing.

Then I'll kick her out of the property while she's still covered in filth.
Last edited by Chernoslavia on Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive? Or if during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand? The Organs would quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt!

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:45 pm

United Muscovite Nations wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
I include selective details to help the posters visualize the situation and experience it before choosing a decision and justifying it

Simply saying “you were tricked into getting some mud on you and then mocked” for instance (and leaving it at that) cheapens the whole thing

Ideally, there should be a degree of immersion

But you could use literally any scenario to give people the idea of the hypothetical. This is just bizarrely specific and immersive, which is why I think it is largely based on something that actually happened to you.

Or it’s something he saw on tv/in a movie
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:50 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Ifreann wrote:IM seems to think that adults in the real world behave like American high school students behave in works of fiction.

I’ve seen it

Where? In a movie? Because based on how you think the work place works I highly doubt you’ve seen people act like this
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:53 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Chernoslavia wrote:

A foot deep? Well if she wants to use the hose she better start digging.

Also this really really sounds like something that happened to you or something you saw in a movie
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:59 pm

Musselshell wrote:the snooty lead female even has red hair and high fashion until she gets muddy...

is her attitude very similar to the Felicie character in this hypothetical? or not as extreme?

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:00 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
I’ve seen it

Where? In a movie? Because based on how you think the work place works I highly doubt you’ve seen people act like this

in day to day life

wherever you have large crowds

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General