NATION

PASSWORD

We have come one step closer to finding Nibiru.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Medwedian Democratic Federation
Ambassador

Founded: May 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

We have come one step closer to finding Nibiru.

Postby Medwedian Democratic Federation » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:21 am

https://gizmodo.com/discovery-of-goblin ... 1829459509

It was reported yesterday that astronomers of the Northern Arizona University have discovered yet another dwarf planet in the outermost reaches of the Solar System. The object, dubbed “Goblin”, has an extremely eccentric orbit with a perihelion of around 65 AU, an aphelion of 2300 and a period of 40 thousand years.

While the Goblin itself is too small to extert significant gravitational influence on the planets of our solar system and as such does not explain abnormal orbital pertrubances and the like, its extreme orbital parameters can be seen as a clue to a major, yet undiscovered body - Planet X or Nibiru.

Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft
Minister

Founded: Jul 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:26 am

Medwedian Democratic Federation wrote:https://gizmodo.com/discovery-of-goblin-solar-system-object-bolsters-the-ca-1829459509

It was reported yesterday that astronomers of the Northern Arizona University have discovered yet another dwarf planet in the outermost reaches of the Solar System. The object, dubbed “Goblin”, has an extremely eccentric orbit with a perihelion of around 65 AU, an aphelion of 2300 and a period of 40 thousand years.

While the Goblin itself is too small to extert significant gravitational influence on the planets of our solar system and as such does not explain abnormal orbital pertrubances and the like, its extreme orbital parameters can be seen as a clue to a major, yet undiscovered body - Planet X or Nibiru.

If such a planet exists, it will not pose any threat to Earth as described in the "Nibiru cataclysm" conspiracy theory - a planet large enough and close enough to Earth to cause such a cataclysm would be easily visible to the naked eye and will noticeably disturb the orbits of most planets in the Solar System - a trans-Neptunian planet would have far, far too little gravitational influence to noticeably affect Earth.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:32 am

Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft wrote:
Medwedian Democratic Federation wrote:https://gizmodo.com/discovery-of-goblin-solar-system-object-bolsters-the-ca-1829459509

If such a planet exists, it will not pose any threat to Earth as described in the "Nibiru cataclysm" conspiracy theory - a planet large enough and close enough to Earth to cause such a cataclysm would be easily visible to the naked eye and will noticeably disturb the orbits of most planets in the Solar System - a trans-Neptunian planet would have far, far too little gravitational influence to noticeably affect Earth.

Also since we can track plusars and the like we’d know of a large planet long before it even got to our solar system
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:35 pm

Ah yes, doomsday scenarios.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:42 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft wrote:If such a planet exists, it will not pose any threat to Earth as described in the "Nibiru cataclysm" conspiracy theory - a planet large enough and close enough to Earth to cause such a cataclysm would be easily visible to the naked eye and will noticeably disturb the orbits of most planets in the Solar System - a trans-Neptunian planet would have far, far too little gravitational influence to noticeably affect Earth.

Also since we can track plusars and the like we’d know of a large planet long before it even got to our solar system

I think you guys aren’t taking into account the three headed dragon monster factor from Planet X....
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Gig em Aggies
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 15, 2009
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Gig em Aggies » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:46 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Also since we can track plusars and the like we’d know of a large planet long before it even got to our solar system

I think you guys aren’t taking into account the three headed dragon monster factor from Planet X....

No it's no longer from Planet X it's frozen in the Antarctic just make sure Monarch doesn't catch you.
“One of the serious problems of planning against Aggie doctrine is that the Aggies do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine.”
“The reason that the Aggies does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the Aggies practices chaos on a daily basis.”
“If we don’t know what we are doing, the enemy certainly can’t anticipate our future actions!”

Uiiop
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Uiiop » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:53 pm

I thought Planet X was between earth and mars. That's what the Strukas told my gramps. :unsure:
#NSTransparency

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:54 pm

Interesting. There is so much beyond the Kuiper Belt that we don't know. Any planets beyond the Kuiper Belt would have a very long orbit time. TG387, the new planet referred to in the article, has a 40,000 year orbit, mainly caused by a really elongated orbital path. It'll be interesting to see if there is the possibility of sending probes to investigate it at some point in the future.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:58 pm

The New California Republic wrote:Interesting. There is so much beyond the Kuiper Belt that we don't know. Any planets beyond the Kuiper Belt would have a very long orbit time. TG387, the new planet referred to in the article, has a 40,000 year orbit, mainly caused by a really elongated orbital path. It'll be interesting to see if there is the possibility of sending probes to investigate it at some point in the future.

Well, we did manage to get a probe to pluto and beyond. Anyway...is there any evidence that Nibiru actually exists? I mean, this discovery is simply another dwarf planet, like pluto or plenty of other dwarf planets in the Kuiper belt. Also, wasn't Nibiru supposed to be close to planet Earth or something.
Last edited by Neutraligon on Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Uxupox
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Uxupox » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:00 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Interesting. There is so much beyond the Kuiper Belt that we don't know. Any planets beyond the Kuiper Belt would have a very long orbit time. TG387, the new planet referred to in the article, has a 40,000 year orbit, mainly caused by a really elongated orbital path. It'll be interesting to see if there is the possibility of sending probes to investigate it at some point in the future.

Well, we did manage to get a probe to pluto and beyond. Anyway...is there any evidence that Nibiru actually exists? I mean, this discovery is simply another dwarf planet, like pluto or plenty of other dwarf planets in the Kuiper belt.

it's just a bad theory. there is no evidence to suggest it's existence.
Economic Left/Right: 0.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.00

Gig em Aggies
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Gig em Aggies » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:00 pm

Neutraligon wrote:

Well, we did manage to get a probe to pluto and beyond. Anyway...is there any evidence that Nibiru actually exists? I mean, this discovery is simply another dwarf planet, like pluto or plenty of other dwarf planets in the Kuiper belt. Also, wasn't Nibiru supposed to be close to planet Earth or something.

Nibiru is just a doomsday myth just like the Mayan 2012 calendar was.
“One of the serious problems of planning against Aggie doctrine is that the Aggies do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine.”
“The reason that the Aggies does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the Aggies practices chaos on a daily basis.”
“If we don’t know what we are doing, the enemy certainly can’t anticipate our future actions!”

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:02 pm

Gig em Aggies wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:Well, we did manage to get a probe to pluto and beyond. Anyway...is there any evidence that Nibiru actually exists? I mean, this discovery is simply another dwarf planet, like pluto or plenty of other dwarf planets in the Kuiper belt. Also, wasn't Nibiru supposed to be close to planet Earth or something.

Nibiru is just a doomsday myth just like the Mayan 2012 calendar was.

I know that. I am essentially wondering why the OP is calling this possible planet (having read the article it does seem to possibly exist) Nibiru.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:05 pm

Neutraligon wrote:

Gravatational irregularities in the outer dwarf planets.

A lot of the outer dwarf planets have very excentric orbits in very similar ranges, and IIRC the math just doesn't add up (All those planets/objects forming orbits like that are apparently damn near impossible), so some scientists believe there's a 9th planet about the size of Neptune keeping their insane orbits the way they are.

As a side note, I really hate the name Nibiru, I'd personally name the thing Erebus or Oceanus, but that's just my opinion. And yes, Nibiru is supposed to be a doomsday planet, which this planet would definitly not be.
Last edited by New haven america on Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:20 pm

New haven america wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:Well, we did manage to get a probe to pluto and beyond. Anyway...is there any evidence that Nibiru actually exists? I mean, this discovery is simply another dwarf planet, like pluto or plenty of other dwarf planets in the Kuiper belt. Also, wasn't Nibiru supposed to be close to planet Earth or something.

Gravatational irregularities in the outer dwarf planets.

A lot of the outer dwarf planets have very excentric orbits in very similar ranges, and IIRC the math just doesn't add up (All those planets/objects forming orbits like that are apparently damn near impossible), so some scientists believe there's a 9th planet about the size of Neptune keeping their insane orbits the way they are.

From the article:

With the help of study co-author Nathan Kaib from the University of Oklahoma, the researchers ran various computer simulations. In most cases, the hypothetical Planet Nine prevented Goblin from approaching too closely—an effect referred to as gravitational shepherding. This effect could potentially explain why other ETNOs have similar orbits.

“What makes this result really interesting is that Planet Nine seems to affect 2015 TG387 the same way as all the other extremely distant Solar System objects. These simulations do not prove that there’s another massive planet in our Solar System, but they are further evidence that something big could be out there,” said Trujillo.

So I think the thing to conclude is that they are keeping an open mind. I'd bet that with further simulations it would be possible to identify the most likely orbital path of planet nine, which would cut down the total area that they would need to search.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:59 pm

So when is it due to crash into Earth next?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:00 pm

Vassenor wrote:So when is it due to crash into Earth next?

something something Mayan something Anunnaki how does Tuesday work for you?
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:00 pm

Will the Annunnaki return?
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:01 pm

Diopolis wrote:Will the Annunnaki return?

Not until we stop spelling their name wrong.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:02 pm

Probably around Easter. The end of the world has an annoying habit of ruining the best parts of life.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:03 pm

Geneviev wrote:

Probably around Easter. The end of the world has an annoying habit of ruining the best parts of life.

I don't care, I'm coloring eggs anyway.

Gig em Aggies
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Gig em Aggies » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:04 pm

Geneviev wrote:

Well I could send an email and tell them to send it on 11/3/20 instead how's that sound to you?

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:05 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Diopolis wrote:Will the Annunnaki return?

Not until we stop spelling their name wrong.

In fairness, Sumerian is not my native language. That would be Akkadian.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:08 pm

Gig em Aggies wrote:
Geneviev wrote:Probably around Easter. The end of the world has an annoying habit of ruining the best parts of life.

Well I could send an email and tell them to send it on 11/3/20 instead how's that sound to you?

My next birthday would be most convenient.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:10 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Gig em Aggies wrote:

My next birthday would be most convenient.

Can you make it right before my mortgage payment is due, too?

Gig em Aggies
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Gig em Aggies » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:12 pm

Diopolis wrote:
Geneviev wrote:My next birthday would be most convenient.

Can you make it right before my mortgage payment is due, too?

Wait you guys want to see the 2020 US presidential results?

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General