NATION

PASSWORD

California passes gender-quota laws

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:02 am

ehhhh, i'm not sure that this was a great idea, although i understand the motivation.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Western-Ukraine
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Western-Ukraine » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:07 am

No less than terrible. I can't fathom how this kind of decision ever got through any system. The state shouldn't mandate quotas, anywhere.
Factbooks: National Politics
Region: U R N

Politics is a zero-sum game.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:34 am

Disagree, people should get the position based on their abilities, experience and capabilities for the role. Not their gender, race, class, family ties or anything else.

Understand why they did it, but i disagree that this was the right thing to do.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:39 am

I'm very disappointed in California but this is the sort of thing the state would do. Things like this should be based on ability instead of gender.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Trumptonium1
Senator

Founded: Apr 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Trumptonium1 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:46 am

This is quite irrelevant, I presume, since most of America's important companies are based in Delaware. Apple etc. are unaffected.

I also don't understand the requirements. I was thinking the quota would be a percentage of the board total, not in actual numbers. If a board is relatively small, does it have to add members and create token spots just to invite women in? A few publicly traded companies, especially small corporates trading on alternative markets (AIM in the UK, BATS/IEX/Chicago Exchange in US), only have two board level members. Under this prerequisite, such a company would be forced to replace both members with women.

That comes to another question - do they have to replace employees to make way for women? So men are going to be fired to make way for a quota filler?

Or are special spots going to have to be created with no practical portfolio, to allow a quota filler to enter the board? Like the company founder's son/daughter getting a token place on the board and a wage for doing nothing?

All in all, I like this. It furthers the theory of the War On Men.

The voting gap between men and women is already the largest it has ever been on record, and Trump would have won by over 400 electoral college votes if only men voted, and would have won every state if only White men voted, which is who this law is basically targeting. So anything that agitates this group is quite nice. Especially if it targets white liberal men. Bankrupt them. Stop them from funding liberal movements. Use their own rules against them, for the luls.
Preferred pronouns: His Majesty/Your Highness

https://www.bolsonaro.com.br/
Resident Non-Pumpkin Character

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:47 am

The New California Republic wrote:I understand the intent behind it, it is just tragic that, as with many laws during their long gestation period, they end up as a shadow or distorted caricature of the original intent.

If you read Brown's statement it's almost stating straight out that he expects it won't survive the challenge, that he's doing it more as a gesture. That part is kind of unfortunate because all that really means is that it feeds the Two Minute California Hate and some anti-feminist rhetoric because he felt like women needed a win this week.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

IronJustice
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 04, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby IronJustice » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:00 am

Glad to see there are some people on here who see through the bs.

Imposing quotas and affirmative action does a disservice to everyone. What about MLK's ethos, 'judge a man by the content of his character alone.."

I have worked at some companies where it's like 95% white, but look at the qualified applicants coming in, it's even higher than that. On the off chance they get a black qualified applicant they tend to snatch them up. But the unsophisticated people will just look at them and say they discriminate against blacks because of the 95%.
Ironjustice, Founder of Bigtopia est. 2005
Come waste your life with us.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008

Postby Shofercia » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:12 am

Mystic Warriors wrote:
Kowani wrote:https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/09/30/california-law-sets-gender-quotas-corporate-boardrooms/1482883002/

California’s finally hit that next level of liberalism, government interference in business to ensure equality. Now, this is obviously a major win for the SJW lobby, not so much for anyone already on those boards. Beyond the normal criticism of “sexism!”, which I think someone else can handle much better than me, I think this sets a dangerous precedent. Seriously Jerry Brown, what were you thinking?

I get really tired of people using Liberalism likes a problem. And trying to fix inequality is not a bad thing.

Trying to fix inequality - awesome! Coming up with an idiotic law that makes those trying to fix inequality look like welfare queens - very bad.

Mystic Warriors wrote:
Medwedian Democratic Federation wrote:
The Californian government is leftist. This does not necessarily apply to the disenfranchised populance.

In fact, the whole two-party system is a scam. It’s basically “the tail shaking the dog”, tricking people to believe there is an actual democracy in America.

There is none. The Rothschild/Zionist elites have already taken over the country decades ago.

Keep telling yourself that. Liberals are the vast majority here. Deal with it.

Actually, neither political block can win without NPP voters. Let's look at the statistics:

https://elections.cdn.sos.ca.gov/ror/15 ... county.pdf

Total Voters: 25,119,238
Unregisterd Voters: 6,095,821
Registered Voters: 19,023,417

Democrats: 8,438,268 (44.4%)
No Party Preference: 4,852,817 (25.5%)
Republicans: 4,769,299 (25.1%)
American Independents: 504,325 (2.3%)
Libertarians: 141,701 (0.7%)
Greens: 90,404 (0.5%)
Peace and Freedom: 74,282 (0.4%)
Other: 152,321 (0.8%) (and a good chunk here are reformists)

So no, leftist parties do not have the majority. The problem is that NPP voters don't vote as often as partisan voters. Hopefully these stunts will change that. But leftist parties don't even have 46% of the vote.
Last edited by Shofercia on Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:16 am

Shofercia wrote:Democrats: 8,438,268 (44.4%)

This makes me happy.

It reminds me that even in the darkest cesspools, there is hope
All shall tremble before me

Firaxin
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 28, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Firaxin » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:24 am

This is unfortunate. Quotas are a terrible way to go about enforcing equality. They force businesses to take people that don't deserve the pay/job they're getting, and they prevent people who actually deserve that job from getting it. If you want to enforce equality, keep a record of every individuals ability, and then force businesses to pay if they did not select a more qualified person without any reasonable reason.

Or just get rid of Capitalism and let the state hand out jobs to people who want them.

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:29 am

The Batorys wrote:
Democratic Empire of Romania wrote:If by absurdity, a company would have unqualified woman workers, they would have to put an unexperienced woman instead of a hard-working, qualified man ?

Ok, California. Here goes your relevancy.

Keep dreaming.

California is experiencing a mass exodus of people (and possibly companies) though.
Awarded for Best Capitalist in 2018 NSG Awards ;')
##############################
Fmr. libertarian, irredeemable bank shill and somewhere inbetween classical liberalism and neoliberalism // Political Compass: +8.75 Economic, -2.25 Social (May 2019)

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:30 am

Hammer Britannia wrote:
Shofercia wrote:Democrats: 8,438,268 (44.4%)

This makes me happy.

It reminds me that even in the darkest cesspools, there is hope

The problem is that people bought into this crazy idea that California is forever "muh Democrats" and don't vote. Republicans lost a critical state assembly seat by less than 5,000 votes. Libertarians could pick up a seat, but they're too Libertarian to care about a single seat.

2014 Elections - Districts lost by Republicans:
8th Assembly District - less than 15,000 voters
13th Assembly District - less than 15,000 voters
21st Assembly District - less than 5,000 voters
26th Assembly District - Republicans won, by less than 1,500 voters
30th Assembly District - less than 15,000 voters
32nd Assembly District - less than 5,000 voters
44th Assembly District - less than 5,100 voters
45th Assembly District - less than 12,000 voters
48th Assembly District - less than 5,000 voters
49th Assembly District - less than 15,000 voters
52nd Assembly District - less than 10,000 voters
56th Assembly District - less than 11,000 voters
57th Assembly District - less than 2,000 voters
61st Assembly District - less than 11,000 voters

That's 13 assembly districts. Amount of registered voters in a quality, competitive district, was around 250,000 at the time. Winning those would give Republicans in the majority in California's State Assembly. Point being: VOTE! Especially if you're NPP.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:31 am

Great Minarchistan wrote:
The Batorys wrote:Keep dreaming.

California is experiencing a mass exodus of people (and possibly companies) though.

Mostly due to housing.

They're all moving to Texas though, so there's that.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:32 am

The Batorys wrote:Keep dreaming.

Ah yes the Great Californian Mass Exodus, where all 0.5% of Californians leave, and we get 0.7% new residents. Should I hit the panic button?

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:35 am

Hammer Britannia wrote:
Great Minarchistan wrote:California is experiencing a mass exodus of people (and possibly companies) though.

Mostly due to housing.

They're all moving to Texas though, so there's that.

Our population is growing. In spite of that, we still have a positive net migration rate. And that's not counting the illegal immigrants. The reason that people say "oh so many leave" is because we're so damn huge. If 400,000 Californians left on a yearly basis, (which is not happening, nowhere near it,) that's less than a percent of our population. But for other states, having that many Californians, and no beaches for Californians to calm down, can be quite scary. Housing shortage is something the Democrats chant, so that they'll shove more low cost housing for illegal immigrants down our throats. Thankfully, the League of Californian cities saw right through that, and told them to fuck off. The 2020 election's going to be good :D
Last edited by Shofercia on Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:41 am

Mystic Warriors wrote:
Scomagia wrote:Not all inequalities are a result of discrimination, you know. Inequalities don't necessarily need to be eliminated, inequalities based on discrimination do. It's not evident that the scarcity of women in executive positions is entirely or even mostly a result of discrimination.

:roll:

All inequalities need to be eliminated, its just a matter of how.

Oh yeah? When are we going to force people into hormone therapy so men and women look and behave alike?

Really telling of your apparent left """libertarianism"""
Fmr. libertarian, irredeemable bank shill and somewhere inbetween classical liberalism and neoliberalism // Political Compass: +8.75 Economic, -2.25 Social (May 2019)

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:41 am

Shofercia wrote:
Great Minarchistan wrote:California is experiencing a mass exodus of people (and possibly companies) though.

Ah yes the Great Californian Mass Exodus, where all 0.5% of Californians leave, and we get 0.7% new residents. Should I hit the panic button?

>Net outflow of residents
uhh, I have bad news for you...

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:43 am

Shofercia wrote:Our population is growing. In spite of that, we still have a positive net migration rate.

Calling BS on that claim.

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:45 am

Shofercia wrote:Our population is growing. In spite of that, we still have a positive net migration rate.

Calling BS on that claim.

I'm pretty sure he's just in denial that his state is a virgin and that the chad Texas shall take over the world

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:46 am

Conserative Morality wrote:
Grinning Dragon wrote:I'm a big fan of hiring a person based on whether or not a person is qualified for the position.

What do you do if companies don't do that already?

You get them to hire people based on skin color and gender as a bottom line rather than merit, clearly.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:46 am

Hammer Britannia wrote:
Great Minarchistan wrote:Calling BS on that claim.

I'm pretty sure he's just in denial that his state is a virgin and that the chad Texas shall take over the world

Texas is an economic powerhouse, which has consistently excelled California on growth.

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:47 am

Salus Maior wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:What do you do if companies don't do that already?

You get them to hire people based on skin color and gender as a bottom line rather than merit, clearly.

Nay, not get them, force them.

Force them to have equal representation, even if the workers are about as skilled at their job as a toddler.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:48 am

Conserative Morality wrote:I'm no fan of this system, but let's not pretend that companies are anything but hotbeds of nepotism in the upper ranks.

And this doesn't help that at all.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Northeast American Federation
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Northeast American Federation » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:51 am

Salus Maior wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:I'm no fan of this system, but let's not pretend that companies are anything but hotbeds of nepotism in the upper ranks.

And this doesn't help that at all.

Don't be silly, clearly having candidates chosen via nepotism to fill diversity quotas will solve the problem of nepotism.
Pro: United States of America, American Exceptionalism, Bill of Rights, Capitalism, Western Civilization, Federalism, Nationalism, Democratic Republics, Militarism, Traditional Families and gender roles, Space Exploration, Law and Order, Equality of opportunity(not to be confused with outcome), Border Security
Anti: Communism, Socialism, Modern Feminism, "Progressivism", Nazism(actual nazism, not "you disagree with me so you're a nazi" nazism), Monarchy, Globalism, Racism and racial supremacy groups of all colors, radical Islamic terrorism, Anarchism, Direct Democracy, Open Borders, Drugs, Antifa

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:51 am

Hammer Britannia wrote:I'm pretty sure he's just in denial that his state is a virgin and that the chad Texas shall take over the world

Texas is an economic powerhouse, which has consistently excelled California on growth.

Let's see, we have DOW, Oil, Natural Gas, Dell, Pizza Hut, JCPenny, H-E-B, GameStop, Motel 6, Phillips 66, Whataburger.

What does Cali have? Kim Kardashian? Google? Smashburger? Apple?
Last edited by Hammer Britannia on Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General