NATION

PASSWORD

California passes gender-quota laws

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Loben
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Loben » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:44 pm

Mystic Warriors wrote:
Loben wrote:
how is this fixing apparent inequality?

So having no women on a board of directors is not inequality? :roll:

answer the question instead of giving me bullshit.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:58 pm

Mystic Warriors wrote:
Kowani wrote:https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/09/30/california-law-sets-gender-quotas-corporate-boardrooms/1482883002/

California’s finally hit that next level of liberalism, government interference in business to ensure equality. Now, this is obviously a major win for the SJW lobby, not so much for anyone already on those boards. Beyond the normal criticism of “sexism!”, which I think someone else can handle much better than me, I think this sets a dangerous precedent. Seriously Jerry Brown, what were you thinking?

I get really tired of people using Liberalism likes a problem. And trying to fix inequality is not a bad thing.

Not all inequalities are a result of discrimination, you know. Inequalities don't necessarily need to be eliminated, inequalities based on discrimination do. It's not evident that the scarcity of women in executive positions is entirely or even mostly a result of discrimination.
Insert trite farewell here

The Batorys
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Batorys » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:00 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Mystic Warriors wrote:

I get really tired of people using Liberalism likes a problem. And trying to fix inequality is not a bad thing.

Not all inequalities are a result of discrimination, you know. Inequalities don't necessarily need to be eliminated, inequalities based on discrimination do. It's not evident that the scarcity of women in executive positions is entirely or even mostly a result of discrimination.

:roll:
Mallorea and Riva should resign
This is an alternate history version of Callisdrun.
Here is the (incomplete) Factbook
Ask me about The Forgotten Lands!
Pro: Feminism, environmentalism, BLM, LGBTQUILTBAG, BDSM, unions, hyphy, Lenin, Ho Chi Minh, Oakland, old San Francisco, the Alliance to Restore the Republic, and fully automated gay luxury space communism
Anti: Misogyny, fossil fuels, racism, homophobia, kink-shaming, capitalism, LA, Silicon Valley, techies, Brezhnev, the Galactic Empire, and the "alt-right"

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:00 pm

The Tomerlands wrote:
Kowani wrote:https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/09/30/california-law-sets-gender-quotas-corporate-boardrooms/1482883002/

California’s finally hit that next level of liberalism, government interference in business to ensure equality. Now, this is obviously a major win for the SJW lobby, not so much for anyone already on those boards. Beyond the normal criticism of “sexism!”, which I think someone else can handle much better than me, I think this sets a dangerous precedent. Seriously Jerry Brown, what were you thinking?

This isn't SJW related. Even if you don't agree, there's nothing wrong with it morally, it's not like they are censoring anyone. And no, SJW rhetoric and liberalism aren't the same thing. Do your research please.

Except they are censoring men. If a boardroom has all men, and a male candidate is more qualified than a female candidate, they must now higher the female candidate. Hence the man's promotion is being censored. This is dumb.

Liriena wrote:
The Batorys wrote:I think board rooms should be purged and their assets seized by the people.

You have outleftied us both :bow:

Waterboard the board rooms!

San Marlindo wrote:If the new legislation mandates that quotas be established over the individualized consideration of board members based on merit and if it also is justified by th state on the grounds of combating non-specific societal discrimination (as indeed many of the posters in this thread seem to imply), it is unconstitutional. That was the crux of UC vs Bakke. Hopefully the Supreme Court will strike it down when the inevitable lawsuits ensue.

Taking into account one's race, gender, etc as one factor among many in their appointment to xxx position is constitutional.

Appointing them purely on the basis of their race or gender without citing a need to redress a case specific act of past discrimination is not.

Oh yeah, Kavanaugh might get confirmed. It'd be interesting is this is the first case he gets.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Ru-
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 01, 2016
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ru- » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:06 pm

I think the concerns that were brought up by current female executives should have been taken more seriously. While there is no doubt that there are real benefits to more diversity in corporate leadership, there are better ways to address the glass ceiling problem then an arbitrary quota. I think it'll be alot harder for qualified female executives to be taken seriously and get the credit for thier accomplishment that they deserve now, everyone will just point at the quota.
Last edited by Ru- on Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A civilization with an over 3,000 year history of lizard people killing each other and enslaving everyone else. Now they've finally calmed down and formed a modern westernized constitutional monarchy. (long live Emperor Yoshio!)

Note: Any factbook entries over a year old are severely out of date and may be subject to extreme revision and retconning soon. If you have questions on anything about Ru, please feel free to ask.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:06 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Mystic Warriors wrote:

w e w
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:08 pm

Ru- wrote:I think the concerns from female executives should have been taken more seriously. While there is no doubt that there are real benefits to more diversity in corporate leadership, there are better ways to address the glass ceiling problem then an arbitrary quota.

Agreed.
I think it'll be alot harder for qualified female executives to be taken seriously and get the credit for thier accomplishment that they deserve now, everyone will just point at the quota.

Disagree.

Excuses will be made regardless. As most women who have been in any kind of position above entry level (and many in entry-level positions) can tell you, having affirmative action blamed for one's success is common even in the absence of affirmative action policies.

There's already a narrative of denigration of female achievement in many of these places, and in society as a whole. This will neither add nor subtract considerably from it.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.

Mystic Warriors
Minister

Founded: May 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Mystic Warriors » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:15 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Mystic Warriors wrote:

All inequalities need to be eliminated, its just a matter of how.
Proud Trump Hater. Ban Fascism in all its forms. Disagreeing with a comment because you hate who said it is childish.

San Marlindo
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 01, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby San Marlindo » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:21 pm

Mystic Warriors wrote:
Scomagia wrote:Not all inequalities are a result of discrimination, you know. Inequalities don't necessarily need to be eliminated, inequalities based on discrimination do. It's not evident that the scarcity of women in executive positions is entirely or even mostly a result of discrimination.

A certain degree of inequality in various spheres is inevitable in every society.
"Cold, analytical, materialistic thinking tends to throttle the urge to imagination." - Michael Chekhov

The Lone Alliance
Powerbroker

Founded: May 25, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Lone Alliance » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:25 pm

Mystic Warriors wrote:
Scomagia wrote:Not all inequalities are a result of discrimination, you know. Inequalities don't necessarily need to be eliminated, inequalities based on discrimination do. It's not evident that the scarcity of women in executive positions is entirely or even mostly a result of discrimination.

That's scientifically impossible.
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger." -Herman Goering
--------------
War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; -William Tecumseh Sherman

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:46 pm

The Caleshan Valkyrie wrote:I don't see a problem with it. If the studies are correct, it might actually help those companies in the long run to have at least one woman in the board room.

The benefits of having women in the boardroom are so minimal that it's not statistically significant. The business case for diversity is that it has no effect whatsoever, and thus diversity is purely for ethical reasons.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Dahon
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Dahon » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:52 pm

Mystic Warriors wrote:
Loben wrote:
how is this fixing apparent inequality?

Would you like half a board filled with people who know jack shit, or a board filled to bursting with people with knowledge and experience requisite for their position?

By no means am I demeaning women executives, but come on -- ability and compatibility must come first before sexual characteristics.
Authoritarianism kills all. Never forget that.

-5.5/-7.44

al-Ibramiyah (inactive; under research)
Moscareinas (inactive)
Trumpisslavia (inactive)
Dahon the Alternative (inactive; under research)
Our Heavenly Dwarf (Forum 7)

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:55 pm

Dahon wrote:
Mystic Warriors wrote:

Would you like half a board filled with people who know jack shit, or a board filled to bursting with people with knowledge and experience requisite for their position?

By no means am I demeaning women executives, but come on -- ability and compatibility must come first before sexual characteristics.

Problem: the current situation favors neither ability and compatibility nor sexual characteristics.

Let me rephrase that: 'nor sexual characteristics other than being born male'.
Last edited by Conserative Morality on Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dahon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dahon » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:05 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
Dahon wrote:

Problem: the current situation favors neither ability and compatibility nor sexual characteristics.

Let me rephrase that: 'nor sexual characteristics other than being born male'.

The problem here, as I see it, is that the whole process of selecting a boardroom executive is subjective: you may know how to run a company competently and in cooperation with others, but is it the same thing as being emotionally and otherwise prepared to do so?

Now the current system may lead to abuses of power by those who wield it within the uppermost echelons of any given structure, but shoehorning female executives who may be incapable of doing their job is not the solution. (Nor do I think the current way of doing things is problematic, even if it has undesirable side effects that play upon the subjective nature of selection.)

-5.5/-7.44

Moscareinas (inactive)
Trumpisslavia (inactive)

Democratic Empire of Romania
Envoy

Founded: Apr 03, 2017

Postby Democratic Empire of Romania » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:09 pm

If by absurdity, a company would have unqualified woman workers, they would have to put an unexperienced woman instead of a hard-working, qualified man ?

Ok, California. Here goes your relevancy.
Last edited by Democratic Empire of Romania on Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Played since 2017.

The Batorys
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Batorys » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:44 pm

Democratic Empire of Romania wrote:If by absurdity, a company would have unqualified woman workers, they would have to put an unexperienced woman instead of a hard-working, qualified man ?

Keep dreaming.
Mallorea and Riva should resign
This is an alternate history version of Callisdrun.
Here is the (incomplete) Factbook
Ask me about The Forgotten Lands!
Pro: Feminism, environmentalism, BLM, LGBTQUILTBAG, BDSM, unions, hyphy, Lenin, Ho Chi Minh, Oakland, old San Francisco, the Alliance to Restore the Republic, and fully automated gay luxury space communism
Anti: Misogyny, fossil fuels, racism, homophobia, kink-shaming, capitalism, LA, Silicon Valley, techies, Brezhnev, the Galactic Empire, and the "alt-right"

Medwedian Democratic Federation
Ambassador

Founded: May 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Medwedian Democratic Federation » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:11 am

As always, it’s a majority giving in to the demands of a leftist snowflake minority whose feelings it allegedly hurt. There are numerous studies saying that gender quotas are BS, and there are lots of women saying gender quotas are BS.

California is a big leftist social justice playground for deranged ex-hippies who want to unload their turd of “check your privilege” and “EQUALITY NOOOOWWWWE!!1!11!!! *screech*” onto hardworking, God-fearing people.

This attitude will never take us anywhere. It is extremely dangerous to listen to such toxic people as those who are in the Californian government right now.

What will be next? A ban on Christianity and turning all churches into Mosques? Forcing all to become vegetarian? Taking away the right to vote from white men? Only allowing pederasts (e.g. homoperverts) to serve in certain positions?

Dahon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dahon » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:15 am

Keep in mind that California is currently solidly Democratic and... at times exasperatingly liberal. To talk of a countervailing Republicanism or conservatism is counterfactual.

-5.5/-7.44

Moscareinas (inactive)
Trumpisslavia (inactive)

Medwedian Democratic Federation
Ambassador

Founded: May 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Medwedian Democratic Federation » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:20 am

Dahon wrote:Keep in mind that California is currently solidly Democratic and... at times exasperatingly liberal. To talk of a countervailing Republicanism or conservatism is counterfactual.

The Californian government is leftist. This does not necessarily apply to the disenfranchised populance.

In fact, the whole two-party system is a scam. It’s basically “the tail shaking the dog”, tricking people to believe there is an actual democracy in America.

There is none. The Rothschild/Zionist elites have already taken over the country decades ago.
Last edited by Medwedian Democratic Federation on Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Loben
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Loben » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:21 am

Medwedian Democratic Federation wrote:
Dahon wrote:Keep in mind that California is currently solidly Democratic and... at times exasperatingly liberal. To talk of a countervailing Republicanism or conservatism is counterfactual.

The Californian government is leftist. This does not necessarily apply to the disenfranchised populance.

In fact, the whole two-party system is a scam. It’s basically “the tail shaking the dog”, tricking people to believe there is an actual democracy in America.

There is none. The Rothschild/Zionist elites have already taken over the country decades ago.

what

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:22 am

The Batorys wrote:
Democratic Empire of Romania wrote:If by absurdity, a company would have unqualified woman workers, they would have to put an unexperienced woman instead of a hard-working, qualified man ?

Keep dreaming.

I never tire of hearing about our impending doom.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Dahon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dahon » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:49 am

Medwedian Democratic Federation wrote:

... OK. Ignoring the baiting (I've been through enough rabbit holes and am staring into an abyssal insomnia), who are the members of this "disenfranchised populace", why are they "disenfranchised", and why would they lean... conservative? let's try that... if the franchise is given back to them?

-5.5/-7.44

Moscareinas (inactive)
Trumpisslavia (inactive)

Isilanka
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 13, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Isilanka » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:56 am

*hears talks about the Californian government being leftist or even socialist*
*laughs in European*
Pagan, slightly matriarchal nation with near future technology. Northern-european inspired culture in the north, arabic-inspired in the south. Liberal, left-leaning, high-tech environmentalist nation.
Uses most NS stats.

Native of The Pacific. Usually non-aligned. Make of that what you will.

Dahon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dahon » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:02 am

Isilanka wrote:*hears talks about the Californian government being leftist or even socialist*
*laughs in European*

Gotta dance with what brung ya, or something less mangled in Texan English.

-5.5/-7.44

Moscareinas (inactive)
Trumpisslavia (inactive)

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Lamoni » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:09 am

Medwedian Democratic Federation wrote:As always, it’s a majority giving in to the demands of a leftist snowflake minority whose feelings it allegedly hurt. There are numerous studies saying that gender quotas are BS, and there are lots of women saying gender quotas are BS.

California is a big leftist social justice playground for deranged ex-hippies who want to unload their turd of “check your privilege” and “EQUALITY NOOOOWWWWE!!1!11!!! *screech*” onto hardworking, God-fearing people.

This attitude will never take us anywhere. It is extremely dangerous to listen to such toxic people as those who are in the Californian government right now.

What will be next? A ban on Christianity and turning all churches into Mosques? Forcing all to become vegetarian? Taking away the right to vote from white men? Only allowing pederasts (e.g. homoperverts) to serve in certain positions?

*** Official warning for baiting ***

You can talk about the LGBT community without addressing them as "homoperverts." I highly suggest that you read and comply with the rules, otherwise your time here will be short.
National Anthem
Resides in Greater Dienstad. (Former) Mayor of Equilism.
I'm a Senior N&I RP Mentor. Questions? TG me!
Licana on the M-21A2 MBT: "Well, it is one of the most badass tanks on NS."

Vortiaganica: Lamoni I understand fully, of course. The two (Lamoni & Lyras) are more inseparable than the Clinton family and politics.

Triplebaconation: Lamoni commands a quiet respect that carries its own authority. He is the Mandela of NS.

Part of the Meow family in Gameplay, and a GORRAM GAME MOD! My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General