NATION

PASSWORD

Marie Le Pen ordered to undergo psychiatric examination

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Mardla
Minister

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Marie Le Pen ordered to undergo psychiatric examination

Postby Mardla » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:15 pm

A French court has ordered far-right leader Marine Le Pen to undergo psychiatric tests as part of an inquiry into her sharing images of Islamic State group atrocities.

Ms Le Pen tweeted pictures of the court order, calling the move “crazy”.

She posted the images back in 2015, including one showing the decapitated body of IS victim James Foley.

She has been stripped of her immunity as a parliamentarian and she could still face a fine or even jail.

https://www.theamericanconservative.com ... of-france/

Thoughts? Are you opposed to this?

Here is my take: the left prides itself on the idea of the "sovereign subject" and "consensual" society. This is impossible (I explain why in the OP of my sig). Therefore in order to maintain legitimacy the left must increasingly pathologize its opposition, i.e. say it is not of sound mind to say what it opposes or consents to. Dostoevsky noticed this and made sport of it in Notes from Underground. Paul Gottfried made an in-depth documentation of this danger in After Liberalism, with Theodore Adorno's The Authoritarian Personality as a important watermark. Tomorrow one can certainly imagine "homophobia" becoming classed as a pathology, and being used to invalidate opposition to homosexuality. Or "racism" as a pathology, used to invalidate opposition to immigration.
Last edited by Mardla on Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:48 pm

Marie Le Pen disgusts me, I find her ideology to be utterly vile, but I am absolutely against this. This is the state using psychiatry as a weapon against its enemies, that is scary shit.

Also, while I am not a fan of people tweeting gore images without some kind of content warning, I do not think that should be a crime.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

The of Japan
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The of Japan » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:50 pm

Page wrote:Marie Le Pen disgusts me, I find her ideology to be utterly vile, but I am absolutely against this. This is the state using psychiatry as a weapon against its enemies, that is scary shit.

Also, while I am not a fan of people tweeting gore images without some kind of content warning, I do not think that should be a crime.

exactly right on
Texan Communist and Internationalist

Mardla
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mardla » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:54 pm

Page wrote:Marie Le Pen disgusts me, I find her ideology to be utterly vile, but I am absolutely against this. This is the state using psychiatry as a weapon against its enemies, that is scary shit.

It must use psychiatry as a weapon. Liberalism has given it no other option, because liberalism says you can't compel without consent. Even punishment of criminals can only be justified in liberalism as treating people who are "confused".
Last edited by Mardla on Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Petrasylvania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrasylvania » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:00 am

It's French law, not a leftist conspiracy. :^]
Crimes committed by Muslims will be proof of a pan-Islamic plot and Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand, crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of mentally ill lone wolves who do not represent their professed belief system at all.
The probability of someone secretly participating in homosexual acts is directly proportional to the frequency and loudness of their publicly professed disapproval and/or disgust for homosexuality.
If Donald Trump accuses an individual of malfeasance without evidence, it is almost a certainty either he or someone associated with him has in fact committed that very same malfeasance to a greater degree.

New Flag Courtesy of The Realist Polities

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:02 am

Petrasylvania wrote:It's French law, not a leftist conspiracy. :^]

Is it? I'm not well-versed in French law, I'll admit, but is it standard procedure that a psychiatric evaluation comes with indictment for a crime? For shoplifting, vandalism, tax evasion too? Or just for certain crimes?
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Petrasylvania
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Petrasylvania » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:05 am

Page wrote:

Is it? I'm not well-versed in French law, I'll admit, but is it standard procedure that a psychiatric evaluation comes with indictment for a crime? For shoplifting, vandalism, tax evasion too? Or just for certain crimes?

French court orders Le Pen to submit to psychiatric evaluation

Le Pen was placed under formal investigation in March on suspicion of disseminating violent images. The law states that medical evaluations must be carried out in such probes.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be proof of a pan-Islamic plot and Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand, crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of mentally ill lone wolves who do not represent their professed belief system at all.
The probability of someone secretly participating in homosexual acts is directly proportional to the frequency and loudness of their publicly professed disapproval and/or disgust for homosexuality.
If Donald Trump accuses an individual of malfeasance without evidence, it is almost a certainty either he or someone associated with him has in fact committed that very same malfeasance to a greater degree.

Mardla
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mardla » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:06 am

Page wrote:

It is needed to get around parliamentary immunity here
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Sukberia
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 29, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sukberia » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:07 am

Mardla wrote:
A French court has ordered far-right leader Marine Le Pen to undergo psychiatric tests as part of an inquiry into her sharing images of Islamic State group atrocities.

She posted the images back in 2015, including one showing the decapitated body of IS victim James Foley.

She has been stripped of her immunity as a parliamentarian and she could still face a fine or even jail.

Here is my take: the left prides itself on the idea of the "sovereign subject" and "consensual" society. This is impossible (I explain why in the OP of my sig). Therefore in order to maintain legitimacy the left must increasingly pathologize its opposition, i.e. say it is not of sound mind to say what it opposes or consents to. Dostoevsky noticed this and made sport of it in Notes from Underground. Paul Gottfried made an in-depth documentation of this danger in After Liberalism, with Theodore Adorno's The Authoritarian Personality as a important watermark. Tomorrow one can certainly imagine "homophobia" becoming classed as a pathology, and being used to invalidate opposition to homosexuality. Or "racism" as a pathology, used to invalidate opposition to immigration.

The "left" didn't decide anything. Its french law. She knew damn well what she was about to do when she posted those vidéos.
But yeah, lets blame the "left".

And what "left" would That be, you conspiracy nut-job? Those who asked do This are from Macron's party since he has the majority. And Macron is a right-winger.

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:08 am

It's not about the topic, but the violent nature of these images.
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
We are not Albania and I am not Albanian, FFS!
Male, gearhead, classic rock fan, gamer, agnostic.
Not sure if left-libertarian, ex-libertarian or without a damn clue.
Where you can talk about cars!
"They're always saying I'm a Capitalist pig. I suppose I am, but, ah...it ah...it's good for my drumming, I think." - Keith Moon,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

Mardla
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mardla » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:19 am

Petrolheadia wrote:It's not about the topic, but the violent nature of these images.

In theory. The main goal is actually to get a negative psychiatric examination. There is a reason representatives normally have immunity from prosecution; it is obvious. The only thong that *can* be gained here is her being found unfit to be a representative (which is why she is so opposed to an examination to begin with, she isn't worried about the investigation per se). In fact depending on the law, she might not have broken it; but the prize here is the psychiatric evaluation. It is quite possible all representatives in France will be expected to submit to one in order to hold office
Last edited by Mardla on Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Mardla
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mardla » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:22 am

Sukberia wrote:
Mardla wrote:

The "left" didn't decide anything. Its french law. She knew damn well what she was about to do when she posted those vidéos.

And what "left" would That be, you conspiracy nut-job? Those who asked do This are from Macron's party since he has the majority. And Macron is a right-winger.

By what criteria is he a right winger? Please give me something that is not purely nominal
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Petrasylvania
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Petrasylvania » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:22 am

Mardla wrote:
Petrolheadia wrote:It's not about the topic, but the violent nature of these images.

In theory. The main goal is actually to get a negative psychiatric examination. There is a reason representatives normally have immunity for prosecution; it is obvious. The only thong that *can* be gained here is her being found unfit to be a representative (which is why she is so opposed to an examination to begin with, she isn't worried about the investigation per se). In fact depending on the law, she might not have broken it; but the prize here is the psychiatric evaluation. It is quite possible all representatives in France will be expected to submit to one in order to hold office

A long standing French law was enacted specifically to "get" Marine Le Pen now? Do tell us what evidence you have or what psychic powers you have.

Mystic Warriors
Minister

Founded: May 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Mystic Warriors » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:23 am

Mardla wrote:

I have no issue with this she broke the law, but you do seem to be using this as leverage to demonize the left, the left has nothing to do with this. And by definition both racism and homophobia could be seen that way, as you would be hating someone over the way they are born.
Last edited by Mystic Warriors on Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Trump Hater. Ban Fascism in all its forms. Disagreeing with a comment because you hate who said it is childish.

Mardla
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mardla » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:25 am

Petrasylvania wrote:
Mardla wrote:In theory. The main goal is actually to get a negative psychiatric examination. There is a reason representatives normally have immunity for prosecution; it is obvious. The only thong that *can* be gained here is her being found unfit to be a representative (which is why she is so opposed to an examination to begin with, she isn't worried about the investigation per se). In fact depending on the law, she might not have broken it; but the prize here is the psychiatric evaluation. It is quite possible all representatives in France will be expected to submit to one in order to hold office

A long standing French law was enacted specifically to "get" Marine Le Pen now? Do tell us what evidence you have or what psychic powers you have.

But you did not understand my op at all. I did not say this was just about Le Pen, but fundamental to the left (and French is very left)
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Mystic Warriors
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mystic Warriors » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:26 am

Mardla wrote:
Sukberia wrote:

By what criteria is he a right winger? Please give me something that is not purely nominal

Macron is not a right winger, his party is centrist to center left
Proud Trump Hater. Ban Fascism in all its forms. Disagreeing with a comment because you hate who said it is childish.

Sukberia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Sukberia » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:30 am

Mardla wrote:
Sukberia wrote:

He diminished taxes on the rich.
He stopped the aided jobs.
He diminished taxes on the big companies.
He's ally with MODEM, a center-right party.
He has made several statementd against secularism, a core tenent of the left.
He's constantly bashing the poor.
Most of his party are ex-UMPS, the conservalite party.
His PM is from UMP, as well as the Economy Minister and Public finances.
He's tough on immigration (This Is actually a good thing)
He's budsies with Trump.

Sukberia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Sukberia » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:31 am

Mystic Warriors wrote:
Mardla wrote:By what criteria is he a right winger? Please give me something that is not purely nominal

Bullshit, i'm more leftist than hum ad i voted le Pen

Mardla
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mardla » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:34 am

Mystic Warriors wrote:
Mardla wrote:

I have no issue with this she broke the law, but you do seem to be using this as leverage to demonize the left, the left has nothing to do with this. And by definition both racism and homophobia could be seen that way, as you would be hating someone over the way they are born.

I am not demonizing the left, rather I am noting that the left validates what it demonizes by pathologizing it. The reason it doee this is because the left wishes to eradicate coercion and make society purely consensual; so those who dissent are found unfit to decide to dissent or consent.

I myself recognize coercion is necessary, and that people can dissent and sometimes must be coerced, although that does not mean they are insane
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Mardla
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mardla » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:38 am

Sukberia wrote:
Mardla wrote:By what criteria is he a right winger? Please give me something that is not purely nominal

He diminished taxes on the rich.
He stopped the aided jobs.
He diminished taxes on the big companies.
He's ally with MODEM, a center-right party.
He has made several statementd against secularism, a core tenent of the left.
He's constantly bashing the poor.
Most of his party are ex-UMPS, the conservalite party.
His PM is from UMP, as well as the Economy Minister and Public finances.
He's tough on immigration (This Is actually a good thing)
He's budsies with Trump.

Cutting taxes when they're as insanely high as they are in France, hardly is enough to make you "right wing".

He is not really "tough" on immigration, he just isn't Merkel.

The rest is largely nominal
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Mystic Warriors
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mystic Warriors » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:40 am

Mardla wrote:
Mystic Warriors wrote:

I am not demonizing the left, rather I am noting that the left validates what it demonizes by pathologizing it. The reason it doee this is because the left wishes to eradicate coercion and make society purely consensual; so those who dissent are found unfit to decide to dissent or consent.

I myself recognize coercion is necessary, and that people can dissent and sometimes must be coerced, although that does not mean they are insane

The same could be said of the right. I have dealt with this personally where everything they are against is a mental disorder. I get tired of being told I need therapy because I am left wing.

Cedoria
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 22, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Cedoria » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:40 am

Not in favour of weaponising psychiatry against enemies, thanks.

Just because I think La Pen is crazy, doesn't mean the state should pathologise her as such. If this is the only way left to oppose her crap, we have bigger problems then we know.
In real life I am a libertarian socialist

Abolish the state!

Ni Dieu ni Maitre!
Founding member of The Leftist Assembly

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:41 am

Mardla wrote:
Mystic Warriors wrote:

No, you're demonizing the left.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Mystic Warriors
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mystic Warriors » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:41 am

Sukberia wrote:
Mystic Warriors wrote:

Bullshit, i'm more leftist than hum ad i voted le Pen

Hum? His party is en marche and is not right wing.

Mardla
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mardla » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:44 am

Mystic Warriors wrote:
Mardla wrote:I am not demonizing the left, rather I am noting that the left validates what it demonizes by pathologizing it. The reason it doee this is because the left wishes to eradicate coercion and make society purely consensual; so those who dissent are found unfit to decide to dissent or consent.

The same could be said of the right. I have dealt with this personally where everything they are against is a mental disorder. I get tired of being told I need therapy because I am left wing.

Yeah, that's popular lingo, not really comparable to actually clinically pathologizing.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General