NATION

PASSWORD

What was the point of "males make the first move" anyway?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:03 am

West Leas Oros 2 wrote:
Geneviev wrote:Then that's your opinion and it's probably wrong.

And what makes your opinion right?

God likes cleanliness, it's next to godliness.
Though I hear more people screaming "oh God" during sex, than during cleaning.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:06 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
West Leas Oros 2 wrote:And what makes your opinion right?

God likes cleanliness, it's next to godliness.
Though I hear more people screaming "oh God" during sex, than during cleaning.

I mean, the ecstasy and adrenaline rush of orgasm is heavenly.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
WA Ambassador: Slick McCooley
Firearm Rights are Human Rights
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
My IFAK and Booboo Kit Starter Guide!
novemberstars#8888 on Discord
San Lumen wrote:You are ridiculous.
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:54 am

Costa Fierro wrote:
New haven america wrote:You think you know about stuff like this when you really don't.

I do know this stuff. I do know about this. Oddly enough, being on the spectrum and experiencing issues with interpersonal relationships (including friendships) gives someone an insight into how they work.

Scomagia wrote:How is it a recipe for guarantee failure? Explain yourself.

People with high-functioning autism have difficulties with a number of things that are essential in relationships, namely things like empathy, reading body language, communication, and emotional intelligence. These can make relationships difficult with people who don't have high-functioning autism, and having a desire for such things like emotional support and understanding but not receiving it from their partner (as is expected in relationships) will often lead to problems, which cannot always be resolved.

Soldati Senza Confini wrote:I mean he is right, but only at a "on paper" point of view.

On paper yes, it sounds hella bad, but in reality it just really depends a lot.

For instance, on paper yes, the odds of a fulfilling relationship sounds awful, but on the field this relationship stuff isn't quite as dire as it looks.

On paper statistics are studies from in the field with people who are and are not in relationships. There's a reason why people studying how it affects relationships point out the difficulties and the odds involved.

Oddly enough some of us are parents of kids on the spectrum. And there are plenty of kids in the many programs my kid has gone to over the years and they have dates and relationships. Primarily I suppose because they are open about them.

Now I have had a heart attack, so I know very well what my particular kind of heart attack feels like. I am expert on the feels of it. That said if someone else were having the exact same heart attack as I did, he would he a damm fool to ask me to how to fix it.

It is kind of the same with autism, just because you have it, does not make you expert in how to deal with it. And one thing you really need to work on, is your distrust of the world.
Last edited by Ethel mermania on Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Post War America
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 05, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Post War America » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:14 am

LimaUniformNovemberAlpha wrote:Needless to say, inverting the norm would go a long way to actually TESTING these theories of males and females. So for what purpose is it still the way it is?

Firstly, it seems to be emphasized a lot more to girls than to guys. I actually heard the opposite growing up, and was a little surprised at what the actual norm was. Could it have been done to delay teen sex as long as possible?

Might this social norm have been designed to prevent the same thing from happening among us as among other species?

If it did happen, would it be irreversible?

1) I believe that the rationale behind men making "the first move" as it were, is largely behind historical social norms that place emphasis on the more active masculine gender role, in comparison to the more passive feminine gender role. Men in this case are expected to actively pursue what they want, while women are expected to wait passively for someone reasonably within their standards to approach them. Is this standard fair, not really. In many ways it hurts both men and women who fail to meet social norms. However, it is upheld by long extant norms and not so easily undone, even if it has been loosened in recent years.

2) I've never heard that the opposite was true ever. I don't personally know where you grew up to hear that, but I know that its not something I've experienced. In fact it was quite surprising to find women approach me to ask for dates. As to why the social norm may be less enforced, I cannot really say why.

3) I doubt it, the concept of hypergamy as a concept wasn't really created until the 19th century. The notion that men should be the one to approach their romantic interests is older than that.

4) I don't think that humans are disposed to such actions. In fact I doubt that it is as common in the animal kingdom as we believe it is. Ergo, I doubt that we'd have such a situation exist in the first place, nevermind it remaining permanent.
Ceterum autem censeo Carthaginem delendam esse
Proudly Banned from the 10000 Islands
For those who care
A PMT Social Democratic Genepunk/Post Cyberpunk Nation the practices big (atomic) stick diplomacy
Not Post-Apocalyptic
Economic Left: -9.62
Social Libertarian: -6.00
Unrepentant New England Yankee
Gravlen wrote:The famous Bowling Green Massacre is yesterday's news. Today it's all about the Cricket Blue Carnage. Tomorrow it'll be about the Curling Yellow Annihilation.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:33 am

Costa Fierro wrote:
New haven america wrote:You think you know about stuff like this when you really don't.

I do know this stuff. I do know about this. Oddly enough, being on the spectrum and experiencing issues with interpersonal relationships (including friendships) gives someone an insight into how they work.

Scomagia wrote:How is it a recipe for guarantee failure? Explain yourself.

People with high-functioning autism have difficulties with a number of things that are essential in relationships, namely things like empathy, reading body language, communication, and emotional intelligence. These can make relationships difficult with people who don't have high-functioning autism, and having a desire for such things like emotional support and understanding but not receiving it from their partner (as is expected in relationships) will often lead to problems, which cannot always be resolved.

Soldati Senza Confini wrote:I mean he is right, but only at a "on paper" point of view.

On paper yes, it sounds hella bad, but in reality it just really depends a lot.

For instance, on paper yes, the odds of a fulfilling relationship sounds awful, but on the field this relationship stuff isn't quite as dire as it looks.

On paper statistics are studies from in the field with people who are and are not in relationships. There's a reason why people studying how it affects relationships point out the difficulties and the odds involved.

And two high functioning autistic people would be a guaranteed failure why? They'd both understand each other better than non-autistic people and likely wouldn't do the things (like excessive or prolonged hugging) that often make autistic people super uncomfortable. In a lot of ways a relationship between two autistic people of similar functionality would be better than the alternative.
Last edited by Scomagia on Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Insert trite farewell here

Nouveau Yathrib
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 27, 2016
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Nouveau Yathrib » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:08 am

Scomagia wrote:
Costa Fierro wrote:On paper statistics are studies from in the field with people who are and are not in relationships. There's a reason why people studying how it affects relationships point out the difficulties and the odds involved.

And two high functioning autistic people would be a guaranteed failure why? They'd both understand each other better than non-autistic people and likely wouldn't do the things (like excessive or prolonged hugging) that often make autistic people super uncomfortable. In a lot of ways a relationship between two autistic people of similar functionality would be better than the alternative.

Of course a relationship between two similarly functioning autistic people could work. For that to happen, they also need to find each other physically and mentally attractive. They also need to both be single at the same time.
I still can't believe that Brazil lost to Germany 1:7. Copy and paste onto your sig if you were alive when this happened.

This account is the predecessor state of Jamilkhuze and Syfenq. This is how they're different, and this is why they exist.

We are currently in the year 2181. About Us | Factbooks | Past and Future History | OOC Info | Public Relations | iiWiki | Q&A

"I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do."

-Edward Everett Hale

Uxupox
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Uxupox » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:10 am

Nouveau Yathrib wrote:
Scomagia wrote:And two high functioning autistic people would be a guaranteed failure why? They'd both understand each other better than non-autistic people and likely wouldn't do the things (like excessive or prolonged hugging) that often make autistic people super uncomfortable. In a lot of ways a relationship between two autistic people of similar functionality would be better than the alternative.

Of course a relationship between two similarly functioning autistic people could work. For that to happen, they also need to find each other physically and mentally attractive. They also need to both be single at the same time.

no need to be single. be a homewrecker.
Economic Left/Right: 0.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.00

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:33 am

Myrensis wrote:
Diopolis wrote:I am asserting as historical fact that humanity is perhaps 7,500 years old; certainly not much older than 8,000 years.

Out of curiosity, did Cain have some weird polyamorous relationship where he and Adam took turns having sex with Eve and making babies, or did he have to wait around in Nod until one of his baby sisters was old enough to breed?

The bible is delightfully nonspecific on this point.
Most scholars believe Cain's wife was eventually one of his nieces.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:08 pm

Nouveau Yathrib wrote:
Scomagia wrote:And two high functioning autistic people would be a guaranteed failure why? They'd both understand each other better than non-autistic people and likely wouldn't do the things (like excessive or prolonged hugging) that often make autistic people super uncomfortable. In a lot of ways a relationship between two autistic people of similar functionality would be better than the alternative.

Yes. And? All relationships require those variables to be just so, autistic relationships are no different. In fact, I'd argue that two autistic people of similar functionality are more likely to meet the required variables than one autistic person and one non autistic person.

Nouveau Yathrib
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 27, 2016
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Nouveau Yathrib » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:44 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Nouveau Yathrib wrote:

Yes. And? All relationships require those variables to be just so, autistic relationships are no different. In fact, I'd argue that two autistic people of similar functionality are more likely to meet the required variables than one autistic person and one non autistic person.

I think what Costa Fierro was trying to get at was that a relationship between two high-functioning autistic people can't work if they remind each other of their biggest insecurities. Or if either thinks they can do better than whatever options they currently have.
I still can't believe that Brazil lost to Germany 1:7. Copy and paste onto your sig if you were alive when this happened.

This account is the predecessor state of Jamilkhuze and Syfenq. This is how they're different, and this is why they exist.

We are currently in the year 2181. About Us | Factbooks | Past and Future History | OOC Info | Public Relations | iiWiki | Q&A

"I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do."

-Edward Everett Hale

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:08 pm

Nouveau Yathrib wrote:
Scomagia wrote:Yes. And? All relationships require those variables to be just so, autistic relationships are no different. In fact, I'd argue that two autistic people of similar functionality are more likely to meet the required variables than one autistic person and one non autistic person.

I think what Costa Fierro was trying to get at was that a relationship between two high-functioning autistic people can't work if they remind each other of their biggest insecurities. Or if either thinks they can do better than whatever options they currently have.

Which again is true of any relationships. The issues with a brain disorder of any sort do make relationships more difficult, no one is arguing against that, but those difficulties are not insurmountable to a successful relationship as numerous folks can tell you.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Kaggeceria
Minister

Founded: Feb 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaggeceria » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:17 pm

Because our culture sucks and too many women are entitled.
The Kaggecerian Realm (PMT)
I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe
NSG's only Jewish Nazi with the spookiest flag

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:25 pm

Nouveau Yathrib wrote:
Scomagia wrote:Yes. And? All relationships require those variables to be just so, autistic relationships are no different. In fact, I'd argue that two autistic people of similar functionality are more likely to meet the required variables than one autistic person and one non autistic person.

That's true of all relationships, though. It seems like Costa is simply manufacturing arguments against autistic relationships for no clear reason. There's nothing special about autistic relationships that make them more likely to fail than an autistic person being with a non autistic person. In fact, it would seem evident that the latter relationship has more reason to fail.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012

Postby New haven america » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:29 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Nouveau Yathrib wrote:

That's true of all relationships, though. It seems like Costa is simply manufacturing arguments against autistic relationships for no clear reason. There's nothing special about autistic relationships that make them more likely to fail than an autistic person being with a non autistic person. In fact, it would seem evident that the latter relationship has more reason to fail.

Costa believes all MxF relationships are doomed to fail though, he's just targeting relationships with autistic people because the idea was brought up.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:47 pm

Diopolis wrote:
Myrensis wrote:
Out of curiosity, did Cain have some weird polyamorous relationship where he and Adam took turns having sex with Eve and making babies, or did he have to wait around in Nod until one of his baby sisters was old enough to breed?

Eww.

Otira
Envoy

Founded: Jun 25, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Otira » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:52 pm

Diopolis wrote:
Myrensis wrote:

(And Here's Why That's A Good Thing)

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:33 pm

New haven america wrote:
Scomagia wrote:That's true of all relationships, though. It seems like Costa is simply manufacturing arguments against autistic relationships for no clear reason. There's nothing special about autistic relationships that make them more likely to fail than an autistic person being with a non autistic person. In fact, it would seem evident that the latter relationship has more reason to fail.

Costa believes all MxF relationships are doomed to fail though, he's just targeting relationships with autistic people because the idea was brought up.

Well that's a pathetic and self defeating view of relationships. Worthless, really.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012

Postby New haven america » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:26 pm

Scomagia wrote:
New haven america wrote:Costa believes all MxF relationships are doomed to fail though, he's just targeting relationships with autistic people because the idea was brought up.

Well that's a pathetic and self defeating view of relationships. Worthless, really.

He doesn't think so. He believe he's protecting himself and his possessions/money from the evil bloodsucking harpies known as "Women" who run this oppressive gynocentric society.

Let's just ignore the fact that he still lives with his mom...
Last edited by New haven america on Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:15 am

New haven america wrote:He doesn't think so. He believe he's protecting himself and his possessions/money from the evil bloodsucking harpies known as "Women" who run this oppressive gynocentric society.

He is not wrong to be suspicious of women, if he feels that he doesn't need that complication in a certain stage of their life. The Shaolin temple for example, refuses to take in any women for training and requires their monks to take a vow of celibacy and to adhere to that. I figure that it must be for a good reason. Temptation distracts from what is most needed for discipline in their training towards perfection of mind and body.

Shaolin has 1,500+ years of knowledge available to them, supposedly the act of ejaculation does more to weaken the male body than losing 10 drops of blood.
Last edited by Saiwania on Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Purgatio
Negotiator

Founded: May 18, 2018
Corporate Police State

Postby Purgatio » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:33 am

Kaggeceria wrote:Because our culture sucks and too many women are entitled.

Women not wanting to suffer sexual harassment in professional spaces makes them 'entitled'? Yeah, those stuck up women, complaining about being slapped on the ass by their co-workers without their consent, so spoiled, right?
Purgatio is an absolutist hereditary monarchy run as a one-party fascist dictatorship, which seized power in a sudden and abrupt coup d'état of 1987-1988, on an authoritarian eugenic and socially Darwinistic political philosophy and ideology, now ruled and dominated with a brutal iron fist under the watchful reign of Le Grand Roi Chalon-Arlay de la Fayette and La Grande Reine Geneviève de la Fayette (née Aumont) (i.e., the 'Founding Couple' or Le Couple Fondateur).

For a domestic Purgation 'propagandist' view of its role in the world, see: An Introduction to Purgatio.

And for a more 'objective' international perspective on Purgatio's history, culture, and politics, see: A Brief Overview of the History, Politics, and Culture of Le Royaume du Nettoyage de la Purgatio.

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:31 am

Saiwania wrote:
New haven america wrote:He doesn't think so. He believe he's protecting himself and his possessions/money from the evil bloodsucking harpies known as "Women" who run this oppressive gynocentric society.

He is not wrong to be suspicious of women, if he feels that he doesn't need that complication in a certain stage of their life. The Shaolin temple for example, refuses to take in any women for training and requires their monks to take a vow of celibacy and to adhere to that. I figure that it must be for a good reason. Temptation distracts from what is most needed for discipline in their training towards perfection of mind and body.

Shaolin has 1,500+ years of knowledge available to them, supposedly the act of ejaculation does more to weaken the male body than losing 10 drops of blood.

Losing ten drops of blood does little to weaken the male body.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:46 am

Saiwania wrote:

...Whut.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:38 pm

Saiwania wrote:

Your lack of contextual understanding for the Shaolin perspective is astounding. The influences on Shaolin thinking with regards to male energy you described are not rational but rather the result of Daoist thinking. The feminine is fertile, generative, and limitless. The masculine is structural, emergent from the feminine even as it is the counter balance to the feminine, and necessarily limited. Therefore, the masculine can be exhausted while the feminine is inexhaustible.

There are practical reasons for the admission of males exclusively. Combat is near universally the domain of men, especially in ancient times. Additionally, Shaolin and other monastic groups historically served more than just a religious role, they were also a repository for orphaned or unwanted males who, naturally, needed a structured and disciplined environment in order to avoid becoming elements of societal disruption.

Nioya
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 31, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Nioya » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:44 pm

I read a paper called “from front porch to back seat” by Beth bailey. It talks about how dating developed in the 20th century and the system of “calling” the preceded it. Upper class women had to have men speak to their parents first and then meet the woman. Dating was originally for lower class people. Men could work so they had the money to pay for entertainment. That’s the origin. It’s evolved overtime as a custom, to the point where some men deny women’s advances.
I like telegrams
First name: Matt
Sexual Orientation: gay
Nationality: American
Religious Orientation: Episcopalian
Relationship status: Single
Likes: Philosophy, history, world building, anime, audiobooks, aesthetics, coffee
Dislikes: SJWs, atheism, kids being loud
Random fact: I sleep with a body pillow

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:29 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:Oddly enough some of us are parents of kids on the spectrum.

And therefore "well I'm a parent" trumps "I actually have it"? Do enlighten me, O Wise One.

And there are plenty of kids in the many programs my kid has gone to over the years and they have dates and relationships. Primarily I suppose because they are open about them.

"Plenty" obviously being a deliberately vague term.

It is kind of the same with autism, just because you have it, does not make you expert in how to deal with it.

It does. That pisses you off because it's something that you can't experience and therefore cannot lecture people whom you believe are "inexperienced". It's almost like I know more than you and you can't handle that.

So to sum up this argument succinctly: you don't know a Goddamn thing.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General