NATION

PASSWORD

US Ed Dept Takes Controversial Definition of "Anti-Semitism"

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Mardla
Minister

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Mardla » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:19 am

Lol, that's like saying it's racist to criticize jazz
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Western-Ukraine
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Western-Ukraine » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:50 pm

I must be the only one to support it here. In this kind of geopolitical environment we can't afford to have Americans indoctrinated in anti-Israeli dogma. Israel shares American values, unlike any other ME country. And whether or not it is stated, anti-Israeli criticism is mostly inspired by anti-semitism which we don't need.
Factbooks: National Politics
Region: U R N

Politics is a zero-sum game.

Mardla
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mardla » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:11 pm

Western-Ukraine wrote:I must be the only one to support it here. In this kind of geopolitical environment we can't afford to have Americans indoctrinated in anti-Israeli dogma. Israel shares American values, unlike any other ME country. And whether or not it is stated, anti-Israeli criticism is mostly inspired by anti-semitism which we don't need.

I tacitly support Israel, but whether or not they support our "values" is of course irrelevant.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:18 pm

Western-Ukraine wrote:I must be the only one to support it here. In this kind of geopolitical environment we can't afford to have Americans indoctrinated in anti-Israeli dogma. Israel shares American values, unlike any other ME country. And whether or not it is stated, anti-Israeli criticism is mostly inspired by anti-semitism which we don't need.

So in what way is criticising the government of Israel for purely political things anti-Semitic?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Western-Ukraine
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Western-Ukraine » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:50 pm

Vassenor wrote:

So in what way is criticising the government of Israel for purely political things anti-Semitic?

It isn't anti-Semitic in itself, but holding Israel to different standards or denying Israel the concessions made to the wrongdoings of other nations is nothing more than anti-Semitism. Israel deserves criticism, but not unfairly so. Whether you agree with my sentiment of that is meaningless, but there is truth in saying that some anti-Israeli criticism is tainted by anti-Semitic intent and standards.
Last edited by Western-Ukraine on Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:56 pm

Western-Ukraine wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

It isn't anti-Semitic in itself, but holding Israel to different standards or denying Israel the concessions made to the wrongdoings of other nations is nothing more than anti-Semitism. Israel deserves criticism, but not unfairly so. Whether you agree with my sentiment of that is meaningless, but there is truth in saying that some anti-Israeli criticism is tainted by anti-Semitic intent and standards.

Except "holding Israel to different standards" is apparently the standard given that we let them get away with shit that we call other countries out for all the damn time.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:02 pm

A position is not poisoned by who else may hold that position.
Insert trite farewell here

Western-Ukraine
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Western-Ukraine » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:03 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Western-Ukraine wrote:It isn't anti-Semitic in itself, but holding Israel to different standards or denying Israel the concessions made to the wrongdoings of other nations is nothing more than anti-Semitism. Israel deserves criticism, but not unfairly so. Whether you agree with my sentiment of that is meaningless, but there is truth in saying that some anti-Israeli criticism is tainted by anti-Semitic intent and standards.

Except "holding Israel to different standards" is apparently the standard given that we let them get away with shit that we call other countries out for all the damn time.

I've already seen Zionists being compared to Nazi collaborators in this discussion. Not to mention the all too common description of Israel as a racist apartheid state. Yet we don't hear critics of Israel calling out China or Myanmar for worse offenses, just to name those two examples. Israel is uniquely criticized among all the possible targets.

Crockerland
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Crockerland » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:09 pm

Western-Ukraine wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

I've already seen Zionists being compared to Nazi collaborators in this discussion. Not to mention the all too common description of Israel as a racist apartheid state. Yet we don't hear critics of Israel calling out China or Myanmar for worse offenses, just to name those two examples. Israel is uniquely criticized among all the possible targets.

What do you have against Myanmar exactly? Sounds like you bought into propaganda from the same sources that claim Israel is a racist apartheid state.
Free Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Tibet.
Gay not Queer / Why Abortion is Genocide / End Gay Erasure
PROUD SUPPORTER OF:
National Liberalism, Nuclear & Geothermal Power, GMOs, Vaccines, Biodiesel, LGBTIA equality, Universal Healthcare, Universal Basic Income, Constitutional Carry, Emotional Support Twinks, Right to Life

New Wrepland
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Wrepland » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:10 pm

Western-Ukraine wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Maybe it's because we expect them to know better?

Western-Ukraine
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Western-Ukraine » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:15 pm

Crockerland wrote:
Western-Ukraine wrote:I've already seen Zionists being compared to Nazi collaborators in this discussion. Not to mention the all too common description of Israel as a racist apartheid state. Yet we don't hear critics of Israel calling out China or Myanmar for worse offenses, just to name those two examples. Israel is uniquely criticized among all the possible targets.

What do you have against Myanmar exactly? Sounds like you bought into propaganda from the same sources that claim Israel is a racist apartheid state.

The Rohingya persecution. The UN has brought forward evidence of that, even accusations of ethnic cleansing and genocide. If we deny that, we might as well deny the wrongdoings of Israel too.
New Wrepland wrote:
Western-Ukraine wrote:I've already seen Zionists being compared to Nazi collaborators in this discussion. Not to mention the all too common description of Israel as a racist apartheid state. Yet we don't hear critics of Israel calling out China or Myanmar for worse offenses, just to name those two examples. Israel is uniquely criticized among all the possible targets.

Maybe it's because we expect them to know better?

Double standards, then? There is no reason we should give other countries a more lenient approach because of viewing them as ignorant or "expecting less of them".

Chestaan
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chestaan » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:22 pm

Western-Ukraine wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Israel literally ethnically cleansed parts of Palestine. They kicked people out of their homes, based on ethnicity, and settled those areas themselves. Saying that the state that carried out those actions is racist is not anti-semitic. As for calling out China or Myanmar, the same people who call out Israel also call out those states. The difference between Israel and Myanmar/China? Israel is backed by the west, whereas, for example, the recent issues with the Rohingya was called out by pretty much everyone.
Council Communist
TG me if you want to chat, especially about economics, you can never have enough discussions on economics.Especially game theory :)
Economic Left/Right: -9.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.62

Getting the Guillotine

Petrasylvania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrasylvania » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:37 pm

Mardla wrote:

I tacitly support Israel, but whether or not they support our "values" is of course irrelevant.

And by "support", you like Evangelicals mean "Spoil Israel until it's time to burn it down to light the Bat Signal For Jesus".
Crimes committed by Muslims will be proof of a pan-Islamic plot and Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand, crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of mentally ill lone wolves who do not represent their professed belief system at all.
The probability of someone secretly participating in homosexual acts is directly proportional to the frequency and loudness of their publicly professed disapproval and/or disgust for homosexuality.
If Donald Trump accuses an individual of malfeasance without evidence, it is almost a certainty either he or someone associated with him has in fact committed that very same malfeasance to a greater degree.

New Flag Courtesy of The Realist Polities

Mardla
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mardla » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:00 pm

Petrasylvania wrote:
Mardla wrote:I tacitly support Israel, but whether or not they support our "values" is of course irrelevant.

And by "support", you like Evangelicals mean "Spoil Israel until it's time to burn it down to light the Bat Signal For Jesus".

I mean Israel is a good check on Iran as long as Iran is run by a nutso government that wants to ignite the end of the world
Last edited by Mardla on Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Cosmopolitan borovan
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosmopolitan borovan » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:30 pm

that's fucked up the palestinian anti israel politicial groups wil be censored.

Petrasylvania
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Petrasylvania » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:31 pm

Cosmopolitan borovan wrote:that's fucked up the palestinian anti israel politicial groups wil be censored.

It's about hiding the Israeli government's shenanigans and corruptions behind the Semitic Shield.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be proof of a pan-Islamic plot and Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand, crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of mentally ill lone wolves who do not represent their professed belief system at all.
The probability of someone secretly participating in homosexual acts is directly proportional to the frequency and loudness of their publicly professed disapproval and/or disgust for homosexuality.
If Donald Trump accuses an individual of malfeasance without evidence, it is almost a certainty either he or someone associated with him has in fact committed that very same malfeasance to a greater degree.

Mardla
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mardla » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:32 pm

Petrasylvania wrote:
Cosmopolitan borovan wrote:that's fucked up the palestinian anti israel politicial groups wil be censored.

It's about hiding the Israeli government's shenanigans and corruptions behind the Semitic Shield.

Shut it down?
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Crockerland
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Crockerland » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:34 pm

Western-Ukraine wrote:
Crockerland wrote:What do you have against Myanmar exactly? Sounds like you bought into propaganda from the same sources that claim Israel is a racist apartheid state.

The Rohingya persecution. The UN has brought forward evidence of that, even accusations of ethnic cleansing and genocide. If we deny that, we might as well deny the wrongdoings of Israel too.

Myanmar deports less illegal Rohingya aliens than the USA deports illegal Mexican aliens, yet somehow it's ethnic cleansing and persecution when Myanmar does it but not when the USA does it, hmm...

And despite committing genocide, they are taking in over 1,000 Rohingya per week from Bangladesh? That doesn't quite add up.

The reality is, people get killed and then these crimes are simply automatically attributed to the Tatmadaw (Burmese military). There are many active insurgent and military groups active in Rakhine State and elsewhere throughout the country, such as the Arakan Army, which is at war with Myanmar's military, but also hates the Rohingya.

The thing is, the victims just see people attacking wearing camouflage and by the time they're talking to the UN or whoever else it's just "the army attacked us", so then the Tatmadaw gets blamed; Even when it is known they're not part of the Tatmadaw, nobody knows who these people are, look through articles on this and you will just see them credited as "paramilitaries" or "local militias" or "buddhist militias", never any groups or people to blame so it is just tallied as a government war crime.

Of course elements of the military do also occasionally commit crimes such as this, though in many cases when they do we have seen them actively investigated and prosecuted for doing so. Regardless, the military is essentially an armed political party, it holds seats in the legislation and for decades ruled the country in a military junta, in many ways the Burmese government is in opposition to it's own military, blaming the nation for the actions of the Tatmadaw is a bit like blaming the State of Palestine for the actions of the PFLP.
Free Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Tibet.
Gay not Queer / Why Abortion is Genocide / End Gay Erasure
PROUD SUPPORTER OF:
National Liberalism, Nuclear & Geothermal Power, GMOs, Vaccines, Biodiesel, LGBTIA equality, Universal Healthcare, Universal Basic Income, Constitutional Carry, Emotional Support Twinks, Right to Life

Petrasylvania
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Petrasylvania » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:37 pm

Crockerland wrote:
Western-Ukraine wrote:The Rohingya persecution. The UN has brought forward evidence of that, even accusations of ethnic cleansing and genocide. If we deny that, we might as well deny the wrongdoings of Israel too.

Myanmar deports less illegal Rohingya aliens than the USA deports illegal Mexican aliens, yet somehow it's ethnic cleansing and persecution when Myanmar does it but not when the USA does it, hmm...

And despite committing genocide, they are taking in over 1,000 Rohingya per week from Bangladesh? That doesn't quite add up.

The reality is, people get killed and then these crimes are simply automatically attributed to the Tatmadaw (Burmese military). There are many active insurgent and military groups active in Rakhine State and elsewhere throughout the country, such as the Arakan Army, which is at war with Myanmar's military, but also hates the Rohingya.

The thing is, the victims just see people attacking wearing camouflage and by the time they're talking to the UN or whoever else it's just "the army attacked us", so then the Tatmadaw gets blamed; Even when it is known they're not part of the Tatmadaw, nobody knows who these people are, look through articles on this and you will just see them credited as "paramilitaries" or "local militias" or "buddhist militias", never any groups or people to blame so it is just tallied as a government war crime.

Of course elements of the military do also occasionally commit crimes such as this, though in many cases when they do we have seen them actively investigated and prosecuted for doing so. Regardless, the military is essentially an armed political party, it holds seats in the legislation and for decades ruled the country in a military junta, in many ways the Burmese government is in opposition to it's own military, blaming the nation for the actions of the Tatmadaw is a bit like blaming the State of Palestine for the actions of the PFLP.

You mean people aren't doing that right now?

Auristania
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Auristania » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:00 pm

Vassenor wrote:

Because it ain't
Denying the Jewish people their right to self-determination, e.g., by claiming that the existence of a State of Israel is a racist endeavor.

Applying double standards by requiring of it a behavior not expected or demanded of any other democratic nation.
This is the example from Holocaust Memorial Comite HMC https://www.holocaustremembrance.com/working-definition-antisemitism
Criticizing Israeli Government is OK ifn and only if you criticise other Governments who do the same stuff.

The Glory is that SJW reject the HMC's definition claiming that it forbids all criticism of Israel which it don't.. SJW say forbidding Anti-Semitism restricts Freedom of Speech and SJW forbid Freedom of Speech all the time.

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:15 pm

Jews are not the only Semites in the world.

This is the deliberate use of a label, to promote a claim of victimhood

for a group which in the US obviously wields great power
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

West Leas Oros 2
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 15, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby West Leas Oros 2 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:18 pm

I assume many Jews are in opposition to this.
WLO Public News: Outdated Factbooks and other documents in process of major redesign! ESTIMATED COMPLETION DATE: <error:not found>
How many South Americans need to be killed by the CIA before you realize socialism is bad?
I like to think I've come a long way since the days of the First WLO.
Conscientious Objector in the “Culture War”

NationStates Leftist Alternative only needs a couple more nations before it can hold its constitutional convention!

Petrasylvania
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Petrasylvania » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:19 pm

West Leas Oros 2 wrote:I assume many Jews are in opposition to this.

Naturally they'll all be dismissed as Self Hating.

West Leas Oros 2
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 15, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby West Leas Oros 2 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:32 pm

Petrasylvania wrote:
West Leas Oros 2 wrote:I assume many Jews are in opposition to this.

Naturally they'll all be dismissed as Self Hating.

That’s what happens when someone refuses to divide everything into sections and pigeonhole others.
WLO Public News: Outdated Factbooks and other documents in process of major redesign! ESTIMATED COMPLETION DATE: <error:not found>
How many South Americans need to be killed by the CIA before you realize socialism is bad?
I like to think I've come a long way since the days of the First WLO.
Conscientious Objector in the “Culture War”

NationStates Leftist Alternative only needs a couple more nations before it can hold its constitutional convention!

Mardla
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mardla » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:13 pm

Pope Joan wrote:Jews are not the only Semites in the world.

This is the deliberate use of a label, to promote a claim of victimhood

for a group which in the US obviously wields great power

Pope Joan, I didn't know you were redpilled. You seem so milquetoast
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General