NATION

PASSWORD

Memory's and Random Thoughts

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Xmara
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 31, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Xmara » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:51 pm

Back in middle school I somehow managed to convince myself that the teachers actually sit down and painstakingly count every single word in your essay, and I haven't been able to convince myself otherwise since then, even though I know that would take far too long to accomplish. So even when I would turn in handwritten work, I would sit down and count every word to make sure I met the minimum.

Fortunately all of my assignments now are typed, so the computer can count the words for me.
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
Status- Code Green- All clear
I mostly use NS stats, except for population and tax rates.
We are not Estonia.
A 16.8 civilization, according to this index.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:49 pm

Xmara wrote:Back in middle school I somehow managed to convince myself that the teachers actually sit down and painstakingly count every single word in your essay, and I haven't been able to convince myself otherwise since then, even though I know that would take far too long to accomplish. So even when I would turn in handwritten work, I would sit down and count every word to make sure I met the minimum.

Fortunately all of my assignments now are typed, so the computer can count the words for me.

That's one of the few things I like about Google Docs.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Klorgia1
Envoy

Founded: Aug 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Klorgia1 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:33 pm

I'm thoroughly convinced a Diplomacy game I'm doing is with a Sado-Masochist and a Psychopath. I know it's not, but I believe anyway.

There was a kid in Kindergarten I loved to play karate with. Perhaps I will elaborate later, but it's interesting (but sensical) how even though this is a forum about RANDOM thoughts, you expected a complete story, my Memory all fleshed out.

It's great when you tell people secrets and you honestly know they won't tell.
News: This Sig Still Exists.

Klorgia1
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Klorgia1 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:53 pm

Sometimes I make up some random songs or parodies of different things (and sing 'em, of course :). One line I just made up I found interesting, though depressing nonetheless:

"So take off your Hijab, become a Journalist for a job and get ready for one long Saudi Araaaabian niii-ght!"
Last edited by Klorgia1 on Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xmara
Negotiator

Postby Xmara » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:10 pm

My earliest memory was from my third birthday party.

Another college memory: back in September, I needed to access the science building computer lab, but since they keep it locked, I had to go find someone to let me in. The door is locked with a passcode. I watched the woman type in the passcode and memorized it. Now I can access the computer lab on my own without relying on faculty members (though I'm really not supposed to). Same way I've been able to unlock friends' phones. Someone today told me that was weird that I could do that, but whatever.
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
We are not Estonia.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

UniversalCommons
Senator

Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:12 pm

When I was six I stuck a fork in someones face because they were bullying me at the playground. I remember the playground had bullet shells which we would pick up and trade with the other kids.

Neihchfer
Secretary

Founded: Jan 05, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Neihchfer » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:45 pm

I remember, while hunting with my friends, we got drunk. When i woke up, I found a beheaded head of a deer.
This nation is what happens if I stretch my ideology, until I can't no longer agree with it. Including the Kaiser.
Traditionalist, Identitarian, CHAD, Ultra-Nationalist, Monarchist.
My political compass (I'm not a Nazi, I swear.)

Hey Kids, wanna be gay? Take a look at this Chad

Klorgia1
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Klorgia1 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:22 pm

I really like the atmosphere of this thread.

I have been in ~9 plays over the course of my life ( More if you count smaller things).

Xmara
Negotiator

Postby Xmara » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:21 pm

Here's a memory my uncle shared with me from when he was in college and it makes me laugh every time I think about it.

He was a freshman in a basic level chemistry class some 40 years ago and they were having their first exam. The guy who sat next to my uncle was pretty dumb. Midway through the test, they both get to the question about what atoms are made of (protons, neutrons, electrons).

Guy: (whispering to uncle) The three parts of an atom are protons, neutrons, and what else?
Uncle: (without missing a beat) Croutons.
Guy: Thanks! (he promptly writes it down on the paper)

The following day, the professor asks the guy if he can stop by his office.

Prof: This has got to be the dumbest test answer I've ever seen. Where did you come up with this stupid answer?
Guy: [uncle's name] told me.
Prof: And you were stupid enough to listen to him?

Later the guy confronts my uncle.

Guy: You made me look like an idiot. Why'd you tell me "croutons?"
Uncle: Well you were the one who was stupid enough to accept it as an answer.

The guy ended up dropping out of college after a few weeks.

Of course, my uncle knew what the right answer was. He just felt like trolling the guy because that's just my uncle.
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
We are not Estonia.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

UniversalCommons
Senator

Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:07 pm

I remember working in a hippy factory. We would cut up cabbage for sauerkraut and make carob bars. I did piece work cleaning jars. It was during the summer while I was in college. I quit after a while. Something about being made the manager did not agree with me. Hippies are hard to manage unless you have something fun to do because they won't put up with being cogs that well.

It was not until later that I figured I was not much use for anything but books, information, and intellectual nonsense. After cutting cabbage, I ended up being a real estate appraisal assistant before it was regulated. We would get paid for each house which we took photos and did appraisals on. We would work as fast as we could when there was work trying to bring in as much money per day as we could. We got in before there were regulations. Once there were too many regulations, the industry required certification and you could not make as much money. People had to follow a regular schedule and deal with banks and licenses in a different way. By then my boss had enough money to fix and flip houses and I had gotten an appropriate intellectual job. He would find the places which were undervalued using appraisal skills, buy them, fix them, then sell them.

Now is the time to invest in bitcoin if you have the time, before the banks and government regulate it into perdition and make it much harder to make and lose money. Regulation creates a lot less winners and also a lot less losers.
Last edited by UniversalCommons on Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:40 am

Albrenia wrote:I remember thinking "I am going to remember this" at one point when I was young (maybe 6 or something), and I remember that moment. I don't know what I was doing before or after, but I remember being near the sofa, and how everything looked in that moment.

Yeah, something similar was when I knew my thoughts were being dismissed by parents and teachers because "I was just a kid", and I swore I would remember that and not treat kids that way once I was older. As far as I know, I never did. But my kids now tell me I was too brutally honest with them
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Re: Memory's and Random Thoughts

Postby Yohannes » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:14 am

I don't usually think about NationStates things (it's just a writing exercise/hobby in real life :p )

However, a quite public NationStates debate/discussion (recently) where I disagreed heavily with the opinion of someone who I once (back in the day) would never dare to criticise has brought me to the following random thoughts two days ago: why am I more outspoken on NationStates (only for National and International Roleplaying related things; for non-RP things I would normally try to be humble) now?

I tried to think about it long and hard

Was it because I had turned into one of those "grumpy old guard" players? Not really, I realised. I still write with new players (happily) - and, in fact, the threads I've been participating in lately have been those made by (or involving) "normal writers" (e.g. typos, wrong grammars, like me I guess haha) -- that is, I like to write more with the normal RPers than the "big old RPers"

Was it because I've become more arrogant, at least NationStates wise (not real life, I hope :p )? Maybe yes. But, I've realised that when it comes to NationStates General, or the World Assembly/General Assembly (for things not relating to the NS forum RP communities), or NationStates Gameplay, or anything non-NS RP really, I tend to keep my head down and try to be humble (instead of voicing my opinion assertively and saying what I think)

So... in the end I realise that my assertive (and occasionally I guess arrogant) attitude -- it's only there for National and International Roleplaying related things (not including NSSports - I don't bother with NSSports at all :p )

Why then? I remember when I used to always do a lot of smileys like this ( :p :p :p ) and always tried to be excessively nice to other roleplayers (even when I knew they were wrong/I thought they were wrong) back in 2010-2013. I remember when I would keep my head down and try not to anger other people by disagreeing with them or criticising them

I realise that it all comes down to this: I respect those who I know are better NationStates in-character/fictional writers, or know more about NationStates RP related things than me. Once I've realised that I'm more capable than they are (or I know about a lot of things in comparison to them), or once I've realised that I'm the better writer, I tend to look down on other people (without thinking myself). Funnily, in real life I would never look down on others. And for non-RP related NationStates things, I couldn't see myself looking down on other people. I've realised that it's only for NationStates RP related things that I would look down on other people (and, in turn, I would treat them with less respect than I would treat those who are more knowledgeable/better writers than I am)

I know that this is bad. Why only NationStates RP though? Why not in real life writing or in real life activities too? Or even non-RP NationStates things on NationStates?)

I don't know. Maybe because subconsciously I treat the whole National and International Roleplaying forums (with the exception of NSSports) as my playground? Where I can exercise my knowledge of politics (and my writing abilities; my real life knowledge) to divide and conquer other in-character participants in the National and International Roleplaying game of NationStates?

Is this the reason for my increasing tendency (since 2017) to look down on others who I know are not as good an in-character writer as I am? Those who know less about politics, economics, etc. than I am? Is this the reason why I have become increasingly assertive and not spare the feeling of other people when I criticise their shortcomings (to meet my high standard)?

I remember back in 2010 I saw a bunch of arrogant "old guard" RPers (in the end they were either DEAT'd or DOS'd) and thought to myself: "I don't want to be like them."

Have I become just like them? No. In fact, looking at their old writings (forum searching old posts from old Jolt Archive, and NS forums 2009-2010), they were not even that good of a writer. Those DEAT'd and DOS'd "old guard" RPers -- if they are here right now, they're no match for me, my knowledge and my writing ability. And I can rule over them -- treat them with no respect, just like my dark side would to the rest of others who are not as good a writer and RPer/worldbuilder as I am

No, Yohannes, no. This is not who you are -- my good personality told me; she told me: "Please don't do this. You should be nice to everyone -- no matter if you know they're not as good as you are."

But my dark side -- he told me: "Go for it, my man. The National and International Roleplaying is your playground. It's all but just in-character, remember? As long as you follow the NationStates rules and out-of-character wise don't do anything wrong, you can do anything that you want in-character wise and divide and conquer them. Rule this whole thing and watch as they cower in fear."

My dark side, he whispered to me: "Remember the Lyras years of 2009-2012...? You can do even better than that now. The whole place will soon be your playground. Even those alternate accounts/alts/puppet holders -- they don't know that you have been playing around with them all along, all this time. You have been fooling them and taking the mickey out of them, without them knowing about this."

My dark side; he whispered to me: "Divide and conquer and rule the playground, Yohannes -- the Lyras years of 2009-2013 was nothing in comparison to what you can accomplish now. Now is your time to shine."

My good side, she told me: "Please don't do this... Yohannes. I believe in you. NationStates is not just a game. The "National and International Roleplaying forums" is not just a game -- it is a collection of communities of real life people, just like you... I love you. I know that you're better than that," she said with an emoji -- like this : )

My dark side told me: "Hah! NationStates? It's a political simulation game, silly! Even the Lord Max Barry said so! See? Divide and conquer now!"

Someone please help me.... my random thoughts from two days ago... I have two personalities and they're giving me conflicting ideas!
Last edited by Yohannes on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Pink Diary | Financial Diary | Embassy Exchange | Main Characters
The Archbishop and His Mission | Adrian Goldwert’s Yohannesian Peace | ISEC | Retired Storytelling Account
Currency | HASF Materials | Bank of Yohannes | SC Resolution # 237 | #teamnana | Posts | Views
Retired II RP Mentor | Yohannes’ [ National Flag ] | Commended WA Nation
♚ Moving to a new nation not because I "wish to move on from past events," but because I'm bored writing about a fictional large nation on NS. Can online personalities with too much time on their hands stop spreading unfounded rumours about this online boy?? XOXO ♚

Klorgia1
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Klorgia1 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:45 pm

A meta-ideology I made up. Please link this (or say I made it) if you ever use it:

Sucedism: Making your ideology supportable to the public comes first, so it may prosper. It can become as you want slowly, over time.

Purism: Your ideology will not be compromised, no matter what. Viewed by some as extremists.

The second one can also be called a political purist, which is kind of an ideology.
Last edited by Klorgia1 on Thu May 02, 2019 2:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Klorgia1
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Klorgia1 » Thu May 02, 2019 2:23 pm

Turns out a nation I mad in a forum ended up in an issue! If you ever see Quannpuck, you know who to thank (though I'd also like to thank the people from create a world's history for helping flesh out the world for the idea to thrive)!

Also, I just finished finals :)
Last edited by Klorgia1 on Thu May 02, 2019 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Thu May 02, 2019 4:22 pm

I remember when necro posts used to get locked.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Great Algerstonia
Minister

Founded: Mar 21, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Algerstonia » Thu May 02, 2019 6:09 pm

My then-4 year old sister was dancing and she tripped on a chair.
Anti: Russia
Pro: Prussia
Resilient Acceleration wrote:After a period of letting this discussion run its course without my involvement due to sheer laziness and a new related NS project, I have returned with an answer and that answer is Israel.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006

Postby Farnhamia » Thu May 02, 2019 6:20 pm

Klorgia1 wrote:Turns out a nation I mad in a forum ended up in an issue! If you ever see Quannpuck, you know who to thank (though I'd also like to thank the people from create a world's history for helping flesh out the world for the idea to thrive)!

Also, I just finished finals :)

Do not post in a thread in General that has not had a new post in more than four weeks.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General