NATION

PASSWORD

Conservation VS Herclivation

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Vectrova
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 11, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Vectrova » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:35 pm

Hi xero. Still not acknowledging contradicting posts and just posting whatever you feel like no matter how silly of a source it is? Yes? Great.

Plants have no consciousness and can't feel pain. There's no identication whatsoever that they have any desires, just environments they thrive in and ones that they don't. We are humans ascribe 'desire' and 'want' to them in the same way we'd say a dog wants something, but the truth is it's a mental fiction. People have done studies on this xero. And all you can cite is opinion pieces and a mockumentary? Really? Really?

Good grief.
This is a signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
I hardy ever notice if someone else isn't being serious. By the same token, expect me to be serious.
If you want to know anything specific about me, send a TG and I'll respond when I can.
My nation is a caricature of what it should be. Do not take it terribly seriously.
I'm subject to disappear for periods of time with little to no explanation. This does not mean I conceded the argument; odds are that I just found something better to do.

Lackadaisical2 wrote::bow:
Clever bastard.

Collectively Awesome wrote:I'd install Vectrova as a political advisor.

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:He explained it better than I can.

Dogmeat
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:35 pm

Vectrova wrote:Hi xero. Still not acknowledging contradicting posts and just posting whatever you feel like no matter how silly of a source it is? Yes? Great.

Plants have no consciousness and can't feel pain. There's no identication whatsoever that they have any desires, just environments they thrive in and ones that they don't. We are humans ascribe 'desire' and 'want' to them in the same way we'd say a dog wants something, but the truth is it's a mental fiction. People have done studies on this xero. And all you can cite is opinion pieces and a mockumentary? Really? Really?

Good grief.

I don't know man. Sometimes I feel like I'm just an NPC.
Immortal God Dog
Hey boy, know any tricks?
天狗

Publica
Envoy

Founded: May 25, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Publica » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:35 pm

Vectrova wrote:Hi xero. Still not acknowledging contradicting posts and just posting whatever you feel like no matter how silly of a source it is? Yes? Great.

Good grief.

Dogs have a better case though. They are sentient, and have emotions.
So soon may I follow,
When friendships decay,
And from Love's shining circle
The gems drop away.
When true hearts lie withered,
And fond ones are flown,
Oh! who would inhabit
This bleak world alone?

Vectrova
Ambassador

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Vectrova » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:45 pm

Dogmeat wrote:

Good grief.

I don't know man. Sometimes I feel like I'm just an NPC.

You're not an npc, you're a follower and set to Essential. it's different.

Publica wrote:

Good grief.

They still can't be proven to have desires beyond instincts and behaviors taught to them. That handily disqualifies them. Ascribing reason desire and want to them doesn't mean they have it, no matter how much we wish it so.
I hardy ever notice if someone else isn't being serious. By the same token, expect me to be serious.
If you want to know anything specific about me, send a TG and I'll respond when I can.
My nation is a caricature of what it should be. Do not take it terribly seriously.
I'm subject to disappear for periods of time with little to no explanation. This does not mean I conceded the argument; odds are that I just found something better to do.

Clever bastard.

Publica
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Publica » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:03 pm

Vectrova wrote:
Dogmeat wrote:I don't know man. Sometimes I feel like I'm just an NPC.

Publica wrote:

They still can't be proven to have desires beyond instincts and behaviors taught to them. That handily disqualifies them. Ascribing reason desire and want to them doesn't mean they have it, no matter how much we wish it so.

I would hardly describe them as having reason, but wants? Sure. Why else would they scratch at doors to be let out if they didn't want to do it?
So soon may I follow,
When friendships decay,
The gems drop away.
And fond ones are flown,
Oh! who would inhabit
This bleak world alone?

Vectrova
Ambassador

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Vectrova » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:07 pm

Publica wrote:
Vectrova wrote:

I would hardly describe them as having reason, but wants? Sure. Why else would they scratch at doors to be let out if they didn't want to do it?

Let me introduce you to a thing called Operant Conditioning.

They scratch at the door because that's what's taught to them for going in. They go in because of instinctual desire to be closer to you. There's no cognizant 'want' or 'desire' there any more than exists in a plant. It's a pure mental fiction humans ascribe to packbond better.

Clever bastard.

Publica
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Publica » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:26 am

Vectrova wrote:
Publica wrote:

They scratch at the door because that's what's taught to them for going in. They go in because of instinctual desire to be closer to you. There's no cognizant 'want' or 'desire' there any more than exists in a plant. It's a pure mental fiction humans ascribe to packbond better.

I'm aware of Pavlov and Skinner. But who teaches them to scratch to go in? Humans certainly don't. And you just said they desire to be closer to you. That's them wanting something.
So soon may I follow,
When friendships decay,
The gems drop away.
And fond ones are flown,
Oh! who would inhabit
This bleak world alone?

Vectrova
Ambassador

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Vectrova » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:36 pm

Publica wrote:
Vectrova wrote:

I'm aware of Pavlov and Skinner. But who teaches them to scratch to go in? Humans certainly don't. And you just said they desire to be closer to you. That's them wanting something.

Humans absolutely do teach behavior, unconsciously and consciously.. A newborn puppy doesn't scratch a door. not all dogs scratch the door either. It's learned.

I said that because, as I also said, it's a mental fiction we ascribe. our language is full of these and it's inconvenient to try to avoid using them. The dog 'desires' to be close to you purely by its pack nature and genetics, the same way a plant 'desires' sunlight and adequate rainfall and grows to achieve this. Neither is a cognizant process, neither is a true "want".

A better counterargument would be dolphins, who engage in all manner of behaviors for no apparent reason beyond desire, fun, and pleasure. But dolphins are incredibly similar to humans, so that's also out the window.

Clever bastard.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:02 pm

The Free Joy State wrote:
Xerographica wrote:Anybody else watching American Vandal on Netflix? Here's a relevant snippet from season 2 episode 5...

Hot Janitor: These are lichens.
Peter: What's a lichen?
HJ: Well, it's kind of like an epiphyte. It grows on some of the Doug firs and the other trees around here, but it blows out in some of the high winds during storms, so I try to collect it and put it back, you know.
Peter: You put it back in the tree?
HJ: Yeah, I mean, that's where it wants to be.

Plants have preferences... just like people do.

It's apparently a mockumentary.

You expect us to really, seriously accept a few lines in a mockumentary as evidence for your theory, over actual scientific evidence?

And the previous blog excerpt does not prove that plants "want" anything. They lack the capacity. It has been said, and supported by sources.

From qualified scientists. Not mockumentary characters.

Also, lichen aren't (solely) plants.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Publica
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Publica » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:34 pm

Vectrova wrote:
Publica wrote:

Humans absolutely do teach behavior, unconsciously and consciously.. A newborn puppy doesn't scratch a door. not all dogs scratch the door either. It's learned.

I said that because, as I also said, it's a mental fiction we ascribe. our language is full of these and it's inconvenient to try to avoid using them. The dog 'desires' to be close to you purely by its pack nature and genetics, the same way a plant 'desires' sunlight and adequate rainfall and grows to achieve this. Neither is a cognizant process, neither is a true "want".

A better counterargument would be dolphins, who engage in all manner of behaviors for no apparent reason beyond desire, fun, and pleasure. But dolphins are incredibly similar to humans, so that's also out the window.

Why do dogs, say, retrieve thrown sticks then? Also, how is being too similar to humans a problem for this argument?
So soon may I follow,
When friendships decay,
The gems drop away.
And fond ones are flown,
Oh! who would inhabit
This bleak world alone?

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:56 pm

Publica wrote:
Vectrova wrote:

Why do dogs, say, retrieve thrown sticks then? Also, how is being too similar to humans a problem for this argument?

That and, isn't desire simply a trait we humans have due to our programming, no different from say a dog's desire?
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Dogmeat
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:35 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Publica wrote:

That and, isn't desire simply a trait we humans have due to our programming, no different from say a dog's desire?

Nearly. Dogs don't feel guilt for their desires.

One of the many ways we are a superior life form.
Immortal God Dog
Hey boy, know any tricks?
天狗

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General