NATION

PASSWORD

Is anonymity "gutless"?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
User avatar
LimaUniformNovemberAlpha
Senator
 
Posts: 4249
Founded: Apr 05, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Is anonymity "gutless"?

Postby LimaUniformNovemberAlpha » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:03 pm

This is inspired by Trump's remarks about the NYT editorial, but I'm leaving it out of any exiting megathread as I feel it touches on a much broader issue.

Putting your real name out there doesn't just subject you to all perceptions; valid or not; of what you're saying. It also subjects people's perceptions of everything you're saying to the effects of their perceptions of everything else you're saying.

So if they're biased against you on one subject, they're more likely to perceive it as "discrediting" you, and that's going to increase their bias against you on another subject.

I would think that would stack the deck against the opinions of those who speak out against the flaws of prevailing ideas, while stacking the deck in favour of those who conform to the crowd. I would think, therefore, that anonymity might be the only thing holding echo chambers back, regardless of whether or not that's people's intentions in being anonymous. (Hard to prove either way.)

What say you, NSG?
Last edited by LimaUniformNovemberAlpha on Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:1. The PRC is not a Communist State, as it has shown absolutely zero interest in achieving Communism.
2. The CCP is not a Communist Party, as it has shown absolutely zero interest in achieving Communism.
3. Xi Jinping and his cronies are not Communists, as they have shown absolutely zero interest in achieving Communism.

How do we know this? Because the first step toward Communism is Socialism, and none of the aforementioned are even remotely Socialist in any way, shape, or form.

User avatar
Kombinita Socialisma Demokratio
Diplomat
 
Posts: 829
Founded: Apr 14, 2016
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Kombinita Socialisma Demokratio » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:07 pm

It is often the most intelligent and wise thing to do. A whistle-blower, for instance, who remains anonymous can continue to gather more incriminating (or should be incriminating) evidence, but otherwise cannot. For someone to tell their identity in a circumstance similar to whistle-blowing is ill-advised, brave, and dumb.
❤Pro: Immigration, gun control, demilitarization, internationalism, socialism, direct democracy, disestablishmentarianism, feminism, open boarders, unity, peace, pacifism, vegetarianism, and lbgt+
Anti: Unfair wages/capitalism, war, military, violence, hate, ignorance, weapons, racism, imperialism, patriotism, nationalism, fascism, nativism, violent protest, ANTIFA, USA, and sexism
Collectivism score: 100
Authoritarianism score: 50
Internationalism score: 33
Tribalism score: -100
Liberalism score: 83
I apologize for all the hate and violence that has been caused and will be caused by humanity.
More detailed flag and Seal
[☮] and [_✯_] ☭
Kune ni sukcesos egale
Together we prosper equally

Вместе мы процветать в равной степени

User avatar
Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 192702
Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:14 pm

I can understand the idea that if you're going to criticize something, you should do so upfront and without subterfuge, which is probably the way some people feel about anonymity. ''Don't hide behind proxies, say it to my face'', sort of mentality. But anonymity is a necessity, more so in an age where someone with enough research skills can look you up online and threaten your family and livelihood with doxxing, just because you criticized an idea or a point or a game they really were behind with and that angered them.

We unfortunately live in petty times too. Criticism, and a name to go with, can result in very bad outcomes. However, I agree with your point, the fact that we can utter criticism of ideas and viewpoints, and do so anonymously, is probably one of the deterrents of places becoming echo chambers.
Code name: Ratatouille Strychnine
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Heartless, ''transgendered non-binary kawaii Chan'', & a d*ck.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

User avatar
Iridencia
Envoy
 
Posts: 332
Founded: Feb 22, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Iridencia » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:17 pm

No. In many situations, it's a useful form of protection that makes people more likely to speak up about things. For worse sometimes, sure, but also for better.

Inept people always decry pragmatic choices as "cowardly" because they know they're not smart enough to play on that level.
Last edited by Iridencia on Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Valentine Z
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 7855
Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:20 pm

After hearing many cases of doxxing or being Swatted (having SWAT called on you), it's not gutless, and rather, is a practical and sensible decision.

Yes, you should be able to say what you want up-front and without hiding your face, but no matter how well-intentioned, someone will always take it the wrong way and come after you with threats.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.



Valentine Z GIF Flag (Improved!)
The Valentine Z CV.
NationStates 1st Flag Bracket - 1st place!
Issues Thread 4th in Gen Sec

The Sixty! Opinions Deposit! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures! Cat Anthem! Valentian News.
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
Q & A Here! | Heights of NS! | F7 Etiquette

Clarissa mistaken for Smurf/Avatar: 10
Valentijn called She: 38
Disappointing F7 Responses: 225

• Eat my freaking tranquility. - Zenyatta
• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.

• Am I a pretty girl?

User avatar
Askina Velti
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 5
Founded: Aug 23, 2018
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Askina Velti » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:24 pm

All I have to say is, anonymity is a useful tool to protect yourself from those who would be vindictive about your decision of viewpoint.
If this nation represents my views I’ll eat my hat.

LITERALLY

User avatar
Internationalist Bastard
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 24522
Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Internationalist Bastard » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:26 pm

It’s only gutless in the same sense it’s gutless to take cover when someone is shooting at you instead of standing around hoping they miss
Call me Alex, I insist
I am a girl, damnit
Slut Pride. So like, real talk, I’m a porn actress. We’re not all bimbos. I do not give out my information or videos to avoid conflict with site policy. I’m happy to talk about the industry or my thoughts on the career but I will not be showing you any goodies. Sorry
“Whatever you are, be a good one” Abe Lincoln

User avatar
LimaUniformNovemberAlpha
Senator
 
Posts: 4249
Founded: Apr 05, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby LimaUniformNovemberAlpha » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:27 pm

Iridencia wrote:Inept people always decry pragmatic choices as "cowardly" because they know they're not smart enough to play on that level.

I have a new signature.
Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:1. The PRC is not a Communist State, as it has shown absolutely zero interest in achieving Communism.
2. The CCP is not a Communist Party, as it has shown absolutely zero interest in achieving Communism.
3. Xi Jinping and his cronies are not Communists, as they have shown absolutely zero interest in achieving Communism.

How do we know this? Because the first step toward Communism is Socialism, and none of the aforementioned are even remotely Socialist in any way, shape, or form.

User avatar
Lord Dominator
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5967
Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Corporate Police State

Postby Lord Dominator » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:31 pm

Counter question, are we not all somewhat anonymous when posting here? :p
Dee Vytherov-Skollvaldr | Forest | TBH Major and Council Member | WA Vizier | Ambassador to the WA

User avatar
Internationalist Bastard
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 24522
Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Internationalist Bastard » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:34 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:Counter question, are we not all somewhat anonymous when posting here? :p

How do you even know I’m real?
I could be an elaborate AI created by Soros to sell people on the Illuminati
Call me Alex, I insist
I am a girl, damnit
Slut Pride. So like, real talk, I’m a porn actress. We’re not all bimbos. I do not give out my information or videos to avoid conflict with site policy. I’m happy to talk about the industry or my thoughts on the career but I will not be showing you any goodies. Sorry
“Whatever you are, be a good one” Abe Lincoln

User avatar
Lord Dominator
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5967
Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Corporate Police State

Postby Lord Dominator » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:34 pm

Internationalist Bastard wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:Counter question, are we not all somewhat anonymous when posting here? :p

How do you even know I’m real?
I could be an elaborate AI created by Soros to sell people on the Illuminati

How do I even know Soros is real? ;)
Dee Vytherov-Skollvaldr | Forest | TBH Major and Council Member | WA Vizier | Ambassador to the WA

User avatar
Internationalist Bastard
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 24522
Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Internationalist Bastard » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:35 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:
Internationalist Bastard wrote:How do you even know I’m real?
I could be an elaborate AI created by Soros to sell people on the Illuminati

How do I even know Soros is real? ;)

Because I made him an AI so he could create me
Call me Alex, I insist
I am a girl, damnit
Slut Pride. So like, real talk, I’m a porn actress. We’re not all bimbos. I do not give out my information or videos to avoid conflict with site policy. I’m happy to talk about the industry or my thoughts on the career but I will not be showing you any goodies. Sorry
“Whatever you are, be a good one” Abe Lincoln

User avatar
The Lone Alliance
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7265
Founded: May 25, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Lone Alliance » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:35 pm

Really these days there's a lot of people who seem to want to end Anonymity, especially online in this era of "Everyone I doesn't like is a Russian\Soros bot".

In the era of social media mobs, political outrage from the chronically offended on both sides who'd love nothing more than to Dox, harass, and maybe even Swat people for going against "Their side" it's necessary.

Sure it's not as 'brave' as standing up and saying "I'm challenging your views" but take a look at how things are going these days, anyone who challenges views these days will get harassed by one side or another depending on their views...
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger." -Herman Goering
--------------
War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; -William Tecumseh Sherman

User avatar
LimaUniformNovemberAlpha
Senator
 
Posts: 4249
Founded: Apr 05, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby LimaUniformNovemberAlpha » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:36 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:Counter question, are we not all somewhat anonymous when posting here? :p

I think of it in terms of game theory. If some people are anonymous, and some people aren't, the anonymous people can smear non-anonymous people with impunity. Doesn't make it necessarily hypocritical to remain anonymous until a solution that requires everyone to give up anonymity comes along.

That said, if Facebook's anything to go by, it's not anonymity that's really the problem here anyway. It's the fact that we are typing from a keyboard and there is no evolutionary instinct that could prepare us to comprehend the consequences, even to ourselves, even when all logic dictates that they are present. (See also; people who get fired over social media posts.)
Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:1. The PRC is not a Communist State, as it has shown absolutely zero interest in achieving Communism.
2. The CCP is not a Communist Party, as it has shown absolutely zero interest in achieving Communism.
3. Xi Jinping and his cronies are not Communists, as they have shown absolutely zero interest in achieving Communism.

How do we know this? Because the first step toward Communism is Socialism, and none of the aforementioned are even remotely Socialist in any way, shape, or form.

User avatar
Lord Dominator
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5967
Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Corporate Police State

Postby Lord Dominator » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:36 pm

Internationalist Bastard wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:How do I even know Soros is real? ;)

Because I made him an AI so he could create me

Makes perfect sense to me
Dee Vytherov-Skollvaldr | Forest | TBH Major and Council Member | WA Vizier | Ambassador to the WA

User avatar
Aclion
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5644
Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Aclion » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:39 pm

Not unless you're trying to speak as an authority on the subject.
XKI: Recruiter, TITO Tactical Officer, Deputy WA Secretary, Emissary to Forest
TEP: Deputy Minister for WA affairs
Forest: Cartographer Emeritus
Oatland: Consul ,Caesar and Cartographer Emeritus
The people who participated in China's denial of their role in this outbreak deserve the same scorn and derision of those who've helped past regimes deny their own atrocities.

User avatar
Avuncula
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 15
Founded: Nov 11, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Avuncula » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:41 pm

The accusation "gutless" coming from trump is....ironic

User avatar
Internationalist Bastard
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 24522
Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Internationalist Bastard » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:45 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:
Internationalist Bastard wrote:Because I made him an AI so he could create me

Ah yes but truth is....I created you so you could do that, to sell people on the Fascist Nazi Zionist Illuminati who wanted to genocide the Zionists and Jews and fight Fascism because Fascism is our only hope!

Relevant
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IHQr0HCIN2w
Call me Alex, I insist
I am a girl, damnit
Slut Pride. So like, real talk, I’m a porn actress. We’re not all bimbos. I do not give out my information or videos to avoid conflict with site policy. I’m happy to talk about the industry or my thoughts on the career but I will not be showing you any goodies. Sorry
“Whatever you are, be a good one” Abe Lincoln

User avatar
Albrenia
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12609
Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Albrenia » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:17 pm

Depends on the context, like most things.

Anonymously trolling some random person hiding behind the internet is gutless. Anonymously outing the truth about something for which one would otherwise be horribly punished for revealing, is not... usually.

User avatar
Steffan
Minister
 
Posts: 2537
Founded: May 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Steffan » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:22 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:Yeah no, it's pragmatic and makes sense, and in my opinion does far more good than harm.

Anonymity is necessary a lot of the times, and in this specific case, I believe it was well-founded.


Still we're all aware who obviously wrote that article right?

No. I'm interested to hear who you think though...
And no. In this context, concealing yourself from a clearly unstable, petty, and vengeful president isn't "gutless".
Last edited by Steffan on Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Criticism is a powerful force for good. Nothing ever improves without coming to terms with it's flaws. Without critics telling us what's stupid and what isn't, we'd all be wearing boulders for hats and drinking down hot Ebola soup for tea." - Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw

[_★_]_[' ]_
( -_-) (-_Q) If you understand that both Capitalism and Socialism have ideas that deserve merit, put this in your signature.

User avatar
Cetacea
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6067
Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Cetacea » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:23 pm

Anonymity in this case was understandable but that’s because they had already taken the cowards path of not invoking the 25th Ammendment.

They need to hide their faces (and names) in shame as any bad thing that might happen as a result of Trumps supposed instability is now their fault.

They are traitors both to their employer and to their people

User avatar
Des-Bal
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 29586
Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Des-Bal » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:24 pm

"It's gutless to try and anonymously stop me from doing things that you think are horrible and bad for the country, come out where I can fire you."

Edit: Also calling for the press to give up a source with the nebulous threat of "national security" is like twelve different flavors of fuck no.
Last edited by Des-Bal on Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Steffan
Minister
 
Posts: 2537
Founded: May 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Steffan » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:27 pm

Des-Bal wrote:"It's gutless to try and anonymously stop me from doing things that you think are horrible and bad for the country, come out where I can fire you."

Edit: Also calling for the press to give up a source with the nebulous threat of "national security" is like twelve different flavors of fuck no.

And twelve different flavors of :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
"Criticism is a powerful force for good. Nothing ever improves without coming to terms with it's flaws. Without critics telling us what's stupid and what isn't, we'd all be wearing boulders for hats and drinking down hot Ebola soup for tea." - Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw

[_★_]_[' ]_
( -_-) (-_Q) If you understand that both Capitalism and Socialism have ideas that deserve merit, put this in your signature.

User avatar
Elwher
Senator
 
Posts: 4396
Founded: May 24, 2012
Corporate Bordello

Postby Elwher » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:29 pm

I personally think that it is cowardly, but that is not my biggest criticism of the author, whoever he may be.

An honorable man does not continue to take a salary while actively working against the person paying him. If one cannot do the job one was hired for due to ethical/moral considerations, the only path for a person with a sense of personal honor and responsibility is to resign. This seemed obvious to most people, both left and right, in the Kim Davis SSM case and I do not see a difference in principle here.

Admittedly, coherent and consistent principles seem sorely lacking in today's world.
CYNIC, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a cynic's eyes to improve his vision.
Ambrose Bierce

User avatar
Galloism
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 65625
Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:29 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:
Des-Bal wrote:"It's gutless to try and anonymously stop me from doing things that you think are horrible and bad for the country, come out where I can fire you."

Edit: Also calling for the press to give up a source with the nebulous threat of "national security" is like twelve different flavors of fuck no.


What a satanist.
He's the exact opposite of what Christ wanted. He played the Christian Right like fools.

I'm pretty sure Satan would find that insulting. He takes pride in his work, you know.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.


Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Abserdia, Austria-Bohemia-Hungary, B o r o v a n, Free Kolechia, Greater Miami Shores, Heloin, Infected Mushroom, LimaUniformNovemberAlpha, Liriena, Names Are Too Hard, New haven america, Nobel Hobos 2, Oastallbostarceshareis, Outer Sparta, Perchan, Picairn, Sobieliand, South Odreria 2, The Black Forrest, Washington Resistance Army

Advertisement

Remove ads