NATION

PASSWORD

Brazilian Candidate, Bolsonaro Suffers Assassination Attempt

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:59 am

Namyalidahs wrote:
Valrifell wrote:
You're right, he's worse. He's real and can affect the lives of real people.

I am not familiar with Brazilian politics you see. What makes him so bad?

I just like reading this thread but it sounds like a lot of his stances are extremely discriminatory and authoritarian.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:06 am

Petrolheadia wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
So this attempt boosted his chances, huh?

Well, there is no better argument for policies based on there being too much crime than the man spreading them nearly being killed during a speech.

I mean, ok, sympathy and all, but if you blow as a candidate, a mere assassination attempt shouldn't boost your chances. You still blow, it's just that you were attacked. Nothing much has changed.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:32 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Petrolheadia wrote:Well, there is no better argument for policies based on there being too much crime than the man spreading them nearly being killed during a speech.

I mean, ok, sympathy and all, but if you blow as a candidate, a mere assassination attempt shouldn't boost your chances. You still blow, it's just that you were attacked. Nothing much has changed.

And you base your policies on the view there is a high crime rate.

A politician being at the end of an assasination attempt is a good argument in this case.
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
We are not Albania and I am not Albanian, FFS!
Male, gearhead, classic rock fan, gamer, agnostic.
Not sure if left-libertarian, ex-libertarian or without a damn clue.
Where you can talk about cars!
"They're always saying I'm a Capitalist pig. I suppose I am, but, ah...it ah...it's good for my drumming, I think." - Keith Moon,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

Sahansahiye Iran
Minister

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Sahansahiye Iran » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:45 pm

Namyalidahs wrote:
Valrifell wrote:
You're right, he's worse. He's real and can affect the lives of real people.

I am not familiar with Brazilian politics you see. What makes him so bad?

Sahansahiye Iran wrote:
New Wrepland wrote:Sorry for him but I mean wasn’t he also glorifying various death squads? Seems like that’s not the kind of thing you want to do.

In addition to saying he wants to beat gays in the streets for kissing, believes torture to be a legitimate practice, has openly stated that he will launch a military coup if he gets elected, called refugees the "scum of humanity", has said that men and women should be paid different salaries, called the birth of his own daughter a "moment of weakness", has said he would rather his son die than be gay, and so, so many other fucked up things.

In summary: the man is horrible.
User formerly known as United Islamic Commonwealth and al-Ismailiyya.
Also known as Khosrow, Zarhust, or Lanian Empire.
Praetorian Prefect of EMN
Senator of EMN
Legatus of the Marian Legion
Integrator of EMN
A GCR Supreme General of the Contrarians
Iranian civic/cultural nationalist
Monarchist
Zoroastrian

Dahon
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Dahon » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:41 pm

Soyouso wrote:Okay, now this, this is why I fucking hate democracy. This right here is the type of shit that pisses me fuck off.

My Brazillian friend has been telling me how goddamn terrible this guy is and how terrified he is about what he's going to do to women's and LGBTQ rights if he gets elected. He already can't stand the state of politics in his country, doesn't like any of the candidates in the first place, and hates that he's going to win simply because he's running against the worst kind of people. And for someone to be stupid enough to try to then kill him, and not realize that would just make people actually feel sorry for him enough to go want to vote for him, especially since his hook is that he wants to actually do something about the crime there.

I swear, my friend's suffered enough, if he has to deal with this piece of shit now because of some idiot I swear I'm going to break some shit.

Can he fend for himself financially? If he can, this might be time to start seeking options outside Brazil in case of a Bolsonaro win.
Authoritarianism kills all. Never forget that.

-5.5/-7.44

al-Ibramiyah (inactive; under research)
Moscareinas (inactive)
Trumpisslavia (inactive)
Dahon the Alternative (inactive; under research)
Our Heavenly Dwarf (Forum 7)

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:58 pm

Trumptonium1 wrote:Bolsonaro should totally resurrect the 'Brasil, ame-o ou deixa-o' as a national motto for the lmaos.

(I actually wrote that before having to look it up if I wrote it correctly. Am I Portuguese now?)

It's ame-o ou deixe-o. But yeah, come to Brazil instead of Portugal :P
Awarded for Best Capitalist in 2018 NSG Awards ;')
##############################
Fmr. libertarian, irredeemable bank shill and somewhere inbetween classical liberalism and neoliberalism // Political Compass: +8.75 Economic, -2.25 Social (May 2019)

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:00 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:BTW, how is Bolsonaro doing?

No imminent risk of death and going through a solid recovery. He is a sturdy guy, so that's another bonus for him.
Fmr. libertarian, irredeemable bank shill and somewhere inbetween classical liberalism and neoliberalism // Political Compass: +8.75 Economic, -2.25 Social (May 2019)

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:01 pm

Petrolheadia wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

And you base your policies on the view there is a high crime rate.

A politician being at the end of an assasination attempt is a good argument in this case.

Sure, but that doesn't mean the candidate is any better. It's just that he can ride a wave of pity to the top, if anything.
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:01 pm

MERIZoC wrote:
Phoenicaea wrote:
I see, well, it seems a good resume to me, because it is straight and easy to understand. is Maria da Silva good, sensible candidate?

also, about the attempted candidate, is he going to run or ousted because of the morale wound

She's mediocre. Fairly uninspiring and with a nonexistent party base or infrastructure. She'd be a weak President.

Of course, better than the ghouls that are Bolsonaro and Alckmin.

Sorry but we need testosterone flowing on the veins of the next candidate, and she's got nothing :^)

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:02 pm

Great Minarchistan wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:BTW, how is Bolsonaro doing?

No imminent risk of death and going through a solid recovery. He is a sturdy guy, so that's another bonus for him.

That I did see. Someone posted a link to an article about him recovering. On of his kids posted a photo of him giving the thumbs up at the hospital.
Slava Ukraini

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:05 pm

Soyouso wrote:My Brazillian friend has been telling me how goddamn terrible this guy is and how terrified he is about what he's going to do to women's and LGBTQ rights if he gets elected.

Personal opinions != Actual policies.

Soyouso wrote:He already can't stand the state of politics in his country, doesn't like any of the candidates in the first place, and hates that he's going to win simply because he's running against the worst kind of people.

Good for him, the best of the worst will win! How can he consider Amoedo a shit candidate, anyways?

Soyouso wrote:I swear, my friend's suffered enough, if he has to deal with this piece of shit now because of some idiot I swear I'm going to break some shit.

What would he even do? Suicide because of an election that merely decided the head of state?

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:06 pm

Soyouso wrote:
Namyalidahs wrote:I think you are overreacting a little. He is not the devil you know....

You don't understand what my best friend already has to deal with with his family's excessive homophobia without this guy. It's gotten to the point where they actually constantly yell at him if they find out he shaved, has been taking "too much" care of his hygiene, hasn't been cutting his hair far down enough for their liking, walks a certain way they think is too "girly", or even goes into the fucking kitchen to make himself dinner. Because to them, all of that means he's gay, and his parents hate gay people so much it's actually scary, I don't know what they're going to do if they ever find out he's pansexual. Now imagine how much this guy winning would validate their bullshit.

...His family is in the minority. My grandparents' family is very very conservative and they don't get to this point.

Sahansahiye Iran
Minister

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Sahansahiye Iran » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:40 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Great Minarchistan wrote:No imminent risk of death and going through a solid recovery. He is a sturdy guy, so that's another bonus for him.

That I did see. Someone posted a link to an article about him recovering. On of his kids posted a photo of him giving the thumbs up at the hospital.

Actually, it was finger guns to "represent hardline policy on crime" or whatever.
User formerly known as United Islamic Commonwealth and al-Ismailiyya.
Also known as Khosrow, Zarhust, or Lanian Empire.
Praetorian Prefect of EMN
Senator of EMN
Legatus of the Marian Legion
Integrator of EMN
A GCR Supreme General of the Contrarians
Iranian civic/cultural nationalist
Monarchist
Zoroastrian

Petrasylvania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrasylvania » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:55 pm

Dahon wrote:
Trumptonium1 wrote:This is quite good. It means he now has ample reasons to pull off a police state and start restoring order to the broken state of Brazil with its millions of homicides. Step one, allow the military to shoot red handed criminals on the spot, however severe the crime.

He's a former military colonel, has all the praise for Brazil's 1960s dictatorship and thinks the country needs Duterte-like street killings of criminals. This is now a given, since he nearly lost his life.

... fuck.

Think it's possible the assassination attempt was staged to boost his credibility? After all he didn't die.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be proof of a pan-Islamic plot and Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand, crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of mentally ill lone wolves who do not represent their professed belief system at all.
The probability of someone secretly participating in homosexual acts is directly proportional to the frequency and loudness of their publicly professed disapproval and/or disgust for homosexuality.
If Donald Trump accuses an individual of malfeasance without evidence, it is almost a certainty either he or someone associated with him has in fact committed that very same malfeasance to a greater degree.

New Flag Courtesy of The Realist Polities

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:40 pm

MERIZoC wrote:She's mediocre. Fairly uninspiring and with a nonexistent party base or infrastructure. She'd be a weak President.

Of course, better than the ghouls that are Bolsonaro and Alckmin.

Sorry but we need testosterone flowing on the veins of the next candidate, and she's got nothing :^)

At the very least we need one that's got all their blood :^)

Trumptonium1
Senator

Founded: Apr 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Trumptonium1 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:41 pm

Petrasylvania wrote:
Dahon wrote:
... fuck.

Think it's possible the assassination attempt was staged to boost his credibility? After all he didn't die.

Oh Gauth you never cease to amaze me, you're right, the dude paid someone to stab him!

I wonder how much Reagan paid the guy who shot him and how much Thatcher swindled to Buenos Aires so she can send her ships out for a Erdoganesque mini-war.
Preferred pronouns: His Majesty/Your Highness

https://www.bolsonaro.com.br/
Resident Non-Pumpkin Character

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:45 pm

Trumptonium1 wrote:
Petrasylvania wrote:Think it's possible the assassination attempt was staged to boost his credibility? After all he didn't die.

Oh Gauth you never cease to amaze me, you're right, the dude paid someone to stab him!

I wonder how much Reagan paid the guy who shot him and how much Thatcher swindled to Buenos Aires so she can send her ships out for a Erdoganesque mini-war.

Disappointed you didnt say Thatcher paid the IRA to bomb her hotel room

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:47 pm

I doubt it was a 'false flag', seeing as how it was a stabbing and all. He very easily could have been killed and I don't think many would-be rulers want to gamble that hard when they could fake other things which would be equally sensational and not involve likely death.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:50 pm

MERIZoC wrote:
Trumptonium1 wrote:

I mean, I wouldn't put it past some people to do that. However, Bolsonaro was stabbed rather seriously. If I paid someone to stab me, I would at least make it so that I don't end up with intestinal damage and a stabbed liver. Meaning, I highly doubt he paid someone to stab him, and put his life in danger that way.
Slava Ukraini

Trumptonium1
Senator

Founded: Apr 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Trumptonium1 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:51 pm

MERIZoC wrote:
Trumptonium1 wrote:

A forgettable event, but would be a better post in hindsight.
Preferred pronouns: His Majesty/Your Highness

https://www.bolsonaro.com.br/
Resident Non-Pumpkin Character

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:57 pm

Sahansahiye Iran wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Actually, it was finger guns to "represent hardline policy on crime" or whatever.

Actually, it was his trademark.

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:57 pm

MERIZoC wrote:
Great Minarchistan wrote:Sorry but we need testosterone flowing on the veins of the next candidate, and she's got nothing :^)

At the very least we need one that's got all their blood :^)

That was a good comeback, I must concede.

Soyouso
Ambassador

Founded: May 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Soyouso » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:06 pm

Soyouso wrote:My Brazillian friend has been telling me how goddamn terrible this guy is and how terrified he is about what he's going to do to women's and LGBTQ rights if he gets elected.

Personal opinions != Actual policies.

Soyouso wrote:He already can't stand the state of politics in his country, doesn't like any of the candidates in the first place, and hates that he's going to win simply because he's running against the worst kind of people.

Good for him, the best of the worst will win! How can he consider Amoedo a shit candidate, anyways?

Soyouso wrote:I swear, my friend's suffered enough, if he has to deal with this piece of shit now because of some idiot I swear I'm going to break some shit.

What would he even do? Suicide because of an election that merely decided the head of state?

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:07 pm

Soyouso wrote:
Great Minarchistan wrote:Personal opinions != Actual policies.

?

Soyouso
Ambassador

Founded: May 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Soyouso » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:14 pm

Great Minarchistan wrote:?

Shitty Internet that randomly turns off as soon as I post, last time I pressed post the post was incomplete all over again, and I can't delete it now because it was replied to.

Great Minarchistan wrote:Personal opinions != Actual policies.

Are you trying to say someone who has to deal with homophobia every single day shouldn't be concerned when someone who could possibly win an election starts saying the sort of crazy shit they say about gay people?

What's the point of settling for the worst, period?

Actually, yes, he's already suicidal, thank you very much. That totally wasn't rude as hell.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General