NATION

PASSWORD

The Ultimate Football/Soccer Thread (2010/2011 Season)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Starblaydia
Game Moderator

Founded: Apr 05, 2004
Father Knows Best State

Postby Starblaydia » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:59 pm

Osarius wrote:
Aribs wrote:FIFA should add instant replay to avoid all this

Not that simple. Unless it can work in a few seconds, you'd have to stop the game to check the replay. That interrupts the flow of the game and potentially robs a team of good field position/goalscoring opportunity etc. I'd like to see replays used, and goal-line technology etc. But it can't work at the moment

Because every TV station that shows instant replays within 5 seconds of the incident somehow has magic technology, the likes of which FIFA will never have? Besides, once the ball's gone out of play both teams spend 5 minutes yelling at the ref anyway, so this time could be much better spent by a video ref watching replay in the style of rugby (where the game is equally as free-flowing) & cricket.
Six-Time World Cup Committee President (WCs 25-33, 46-51 & 82*)
Co-host of World Cups 20, 40 & 80 • Di Bradini Cup Organiser
World Cups 30, 63 & 83 Runner-Up • World Cup 27 Third Place • 25th Baptism of Fire Runner-Up
Seven-Time AOCAF Cup Champions • Two-time U21, One-Time U18 WC Champions • Men's Football Olympic Champions, Ashford Games
Five-Time Cherry Cup Champions • 1st Quidditch World Cup Champions • WGPC8 Drivers' Champion
The Protectorate of Starblaydia
Commended by WA Security Council Resolution #40
Five-Time NS World Cup Champions (WCs 25, 28, 41, 44 & 47)

Osarius
Senator

Founded: Mar 21, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Osarius » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:12 pm

Even if you had replays, refs would still have to view them and decide. That's simply not a five second process. There is scope for it to be implemented at some point, but at the moment, its not really viable, imo. Also, FIFA specified they want a 98% accuracy rate within 3 seconds for goal-line technology, but apparently nobody has managed it yet.

EDIT : oh, and of course, TV channels broadcasting live sports tend to have a small delay... so their window usually isnt actually 5 seconds, but probably double that, if not more.
Last edited by Osarius on Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Monarch: Alexander III | First Minister: Mathieu Lupin | Population: ~125 million | Capital: Burningham, Mount Crown
Civilisation Index: 13.43 • Tier 7, Level 2, Type 5
Current Project(s): a discord scorination bot, and a football manager knock-off

Useful NSSports Stuff | RabaSport.net

||A Loyal Citizen of Wakanda||

Aribs
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Aribs » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:35 pm

well if fifa would add instance replay the game will go way slower

Osarius
Senator

Founded: Mar 21, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Osarius » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:12 am

But why would we want to slow the game down? Haven't we spent the last how many years trying to speed it up? o_O
Monarch: Alexander III | First Minister: Mathieu Lupin | Population: ~125 million | Capital: Burningham, Mount Crown
Civilisation Index: 13.43 • Tier 7, Level 2, Type 5
Current Project(s): a discord scorination bot, and a football manager knock-off

Useful NSSports Stuff | RabaSport.net

||A Loyal Citizen of Wakanda||

Aribs
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Aribs » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:11 pm

Osarius wrote:But why would we want to slow the game down? Haven't we spent the last how many years trying to speed it up? o_O

true true

Sakurakoku
Envoy

Founded: Jul 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sakurakoku » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:24 pm

Congratulations to Japan for winning the WWC. I'm sad the US lost but Japan earned it, and I have to say there's no other team in the tournament I would have rather seen the US lose to than them.
WBC: 16, 18, 19, 20, 21, 23, 24, 26.
WB: 14 (BOI 8), 15
WCoH: 15

Aribs
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Aribs » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:46 pm

Sakurakoku wrote:Congratulations to Japan for winning the WWC. I'm sad the US lost but Japan earned it, and I have to say there's no other team in the tournament I would have rather seen the US lose to than them.

it was not meant to be for the usa women to win

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General