NATION

PASSWORD

The Ultimate Football/Soccer Thread (2010/2011 Season)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The blessed Chris
Minister

Founded: Jul 13, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The blessed Chris » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:26 pm

The House of Castile wrote:Argentina's attack is shaping up to be a real threat this year.

Messi, di Maria, Tevez, Aguero, Higuain and whoever else Maradona selects (I presume Riquelme and Veron, and would like to see Aimar myself), have the potential to be devastating, but whether they'll have sufficient possession and territory to make a real impact in the later stages of the World Cup is dubious. Veron and Riquelme lack the energy and physicality to dominate a contemporary midfield, and as good as Mascherano is, Cambiasso and Gago don't look equal to the task of securing sufficient possession against a team like Spain, Brazil or Germany.

Chumblywumbly
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 22, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Chumblywumbly » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:30 pm

After apparently being a nuisance in the pub (what's so wrong with supporting a footy team based on what fonts they use on their strips...?), I've been ordered by mates to choose a Premier League team to support.

Any suggestions?
I suffer, I labour, I dream, I enjoy, I think; and, in a word, when my last hour strikes, I shall have lived.

Londim
Minister

Founded: May 23, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Londim » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:32 pm

Breaking News:

Van Persie looks set to return from injury to face Tottenham this week. This could be a late boost for Arsenal's title challenge.
YES. I have returned.
Now a writer over at The Sixth Axis.

The blessed Chris
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The blessed Chris » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:32 pm

Chumblywumbly wrote:After apparently being a nuisance in the pub (what's so wrong with supporting a footy team based on what fonts they use on their strips...?), I've been ordered by mates to choose a Premier League team to support.

Any suggestions?

Spurs. Tottenham Hotspur for those who live under a rock. They've always been my second team (third, in fact, since I follow Fiorentina on the basis of their pretty purple shirts, but still), primarily because they play decent enough football and are good value for drama.

The House of Castile
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The House of Castile » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:40 pm

Londim wrote:Breaking News:

Van Persie looks set to return from injury to face Tottenham this week. This could be a late boost for Arsenal's title challenge.

YESSSSSSS!!!!!

Sorry for that, Arsenal's had some bad luck with injuries, I guess it's the price you pay for having a young, small squad.
Arsenal fan
Real Madrid fan
Juventus fan
Ardchoille wrote:It's one of my grievances, too. Thank you for the opportunity to air it. Yes, indeed,
TAGGING IS SPAM.

Sdaeriji wrote:
Emothica wrote:Why it isn't Italy up there? Sure, the U.S. isn't up there but that's because they don't play very well. But Italy is one of the best teams in the running and they won last year. The only way that the U.S. has a chance is if David Beckham dumps England and joins the American team.

There's like 8 things wrong with this post.

The House of Castile
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The House of Castile » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:45 pm

The blessed Chris wrote:
The House of Castile wrote:Argentina's attack is shaping up to be a real threat this year.

Messi, di Maria, Tevez, Aguero, Higuain and whoever else Maradona selects (I presume Riquelme and Veron, and would like to see Aimar myself), have the potential to be devastating, but whether they'll have sufficient possession and territory to make a real impact in the later stages of the World Cup is dubious. Veron and Riquelme lack the energy and physicality to dominate a contemporary midfield, and as good as Mascherano is, Cambiasso and Gago don't look equal to the task of securing sufficient possession against a team like Spain, Brazil or Germany.

I think Cambiasso can secure the midfield, Aimar I've heard good things about but I haven't really seen him play.

Chumblywumbly wrote:After apparently being a nuisance in the pub (what's so wrong with supporting a footy team based on what fonts they use on their strips...?), I've been ordered by mates to choose a Premier League team to support.

Any suggestions?

Arsenal, or Newcastle United when they return.
Last edited by The House of Castile on Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arsenal fan
Real Madrid fan
Juventus fan
Ardchoille wrote:It's one of my grievances, too. Thank you for the opportunity to air it. Yes, indeed,
TAGGING IS SPAM.

Sdaeriji wrote:
Emothica wrote:Why it isn't Italy up there? Sure, the U.S. isn't up there but that's because they don't play very well. But Italy is one of the best teams in the running and they won last year. The only way that the U.S. has a chance is if David Beckham dumps England and joins the American team.

Londim
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Londim » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:48 pm

Any suggestions?

What's the nearest Premier League team to you?
YES. I have returned.

The blessed Chris
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The blessed Chris » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:49 pm

The House of Castile wrote:
The blessed Chris wrote:

I think Cambiasso can secure the midfield, Aimar I've heard good things about but I haven't really seen him play.

Any suggestions?

Arsenal, or Newcastle United when they return.

Plays at Benfica with Angel di Maria, and played at Real Zaragoza and Valencia, before that. I prefer di Maria, since he's got more pace and is younger, but I've always liked Aimar as a player. Understated, elegant, and intelligent.

The House of Castile
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The House of Castile » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:52 pm

Sorry, it was Angel di Maria I was thinking of.
Arsenal fan
Real Madrid fan
Juventus fan
TAGGING IS SPAM.

Sdaeriji wrote:

Chumblywumbly
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 22, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Chumblywumbly » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:52 pm

Londim wrote:What's the nearest Premier League team to you?

Seeing as I live in Edinburgh, probably Newcastle when the move up to the Premier.

But I'm not bothered by geography, what with me not actually living in England.

The blessed Chris wrote:Spurs. Tottenham Hotspur for those who live under a rock. They've always been my second team (third, in fact, since I follow Fiorentina on the basis of their pretty purple shirts, but still), primarily because they play decent enough football and are good value for drama.

You're the second person to suggest that Spurs would be a fun team to support.

As the North London derby is on in a couple of days, I might well become an honorary Spurs fan for the match.
Last edited by Chumblywumbly on Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I suffer, I labour, I dream, I enjoy, I think; and, in a word, when my last hour strikes, I shall have lived.

Londim
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Londim » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:54 pm

Chumblywumbly wrote:
Londim wrote:What's the nearest Premier League team to you?

Seeing as I live in Edinburgh, probably Newcastle when the move up to the Premier.

The blessed Chris wrote:Spurs. Tottenham Hotspur for those who live under a rock. They've always been my second team (third, in fact, since I follow Fiorentina on the basis of their pretty purple shirts, but still), primarily because they play decent enough football and are good value for drama.

You're the second person to suggest that Spurs would be a fun team to support.

As the North London derby is on in a couple of days, I might well become an honorary Spurs fan for the match.

I say Newcastle then. I reckon they'll be a decent team in the Premier League once more. They needed to be relegated to bring focus back to the club.
YES. I have returned.

Chorridonia
Envoy

Founded: Mar 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Chorridonia » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:55 pm

The blessed Chris wrote:

Ever Banega is having a susprisingly good season. I would trust him over Gago, maybe even over Cambiasso.
Economic Left/Right: -6.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.79

The blessed Chris
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The blessed Chris » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:57 pm

Chorridonia wrote:
The blessed Chris wrote:

Ever Banega is having a susprisingly good season. I would trust him over Gago, maybe even over Cambiasso.

Never heard of him. Is he based in Europe?

Londim
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Londim » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:58 pm

The blessed Chris wrote:
Chorridonia wrote:
The blessed Chris wrote:

Playing at Valencia I do believe.
YES. I have returned.

Chorridonia
Envoy

Founded: Mar 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Chorridonia » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:03 pm

The blessed Chris wrote:
Chorridonia wrote:
The blessed Chris wrote:

Yes, he plays for Valencia. He signed with them two years ago (in the middle of the 2007-2008 season), but last year he was on loan to Atletico Madrid. He hadn't been any good in that season and a half, but this year he has been a starter for Valencia and is playing very solidly.
Economic Left/Right: -6.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.79

The House of Castile
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The House of Castile » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:04 pm

Chorridonia wrote:
The blessed Chris wrote:

I don't think he's better then Cambiasso.
Arsenal fan
Real Madrid fan
Juventus fan
TAGGING IS SPAM.

Sdaeriji wrote:

The House of Castile
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The House of Castile » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:04 pm

I've heard rumors of Arsenal trying to sign Guillermo Ochoa, Sebastien Frey, or Hugo Lloris.

I was wondering who would you guys take? Also Joe Harts been looking pretty good, I don't know if he'll stay at Man City any longer.
Last edited by The House of Castile on Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arsenal fan
Real Madrid fan
Juventus fan
TAGGING IS SPAM.

Sdaeriji wrote:

Londim
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Londim » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:26 pm

The House of Castile wrote:I've heard rumors of Arsenal trying to sign Guillermo Ochoa, Sebastien Frey, or Hugo Lloris.

I wondering who would you guys take? Also Joe Harts been looking pretty good, I don't know if he'll stay at Man City any longer.

Alex McCleish would love to keep him at Birmingham but I think Man City will take him back to be their secondary keeper.
YES. I have returned.

The blessed Chris
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The blessed Chris » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:37 pm

Londim wrote:
The House of Castile wrote:I've heard rumors of Arsenal trying to sign Guillermo Ochoa, Sebastien Frey, or Hugo Lloris.

I wondering who would you guys take? Also Joe Harts been looking pretty good, I don't know if he'll stay at Man City any longer.

Alex McCleish would love to keep him at Birmingham but I think Man City will take him back to be their secondary keeper.

I'm not convinced Hart will want to return as a secondary keeper, especially given how Foster has stagnated and declined competing with Kusczak to be second behind van der Sar at United. Given that City seem prepared to sell other academy developed English players, notably Richards, I could envisage him leaving if City are offered sufficient money, or part exchange for a player they fancy. They're welcome to Berbatov if they want; I've tried to warm to him, and I generally do like players with a streak of the laconic and sense of arrogance to them, such as Ibrahimovic, but he's starting to piss me off royally. Macheda, at 18, looks a more reliable player than him. As does Tevez...

The House of Castile
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The House of Castile » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:55 pm

The blessed Chris wrote:
Londim wrote:

I'm not convinced Hart will want to return as a secondary keeper, especially given how Foster has stagnated and declined competing with Kusczak to be second behind van der Sar at United. Given that City seem prepared to sell other academy developed English players, notably Richards, I could envisage him leaving if City are offered sufficient money, or part exchange for a player they fancy. They're welcome to Berbatov if they want; I've tried to warm to him, and I generally do like players with a streak of the laconic and sense of arrogance to them, such as Ibrahimovic, but he's starting to piss me off royally. Macheda, at 18, looks a more reliable player than him. As does Tevez...

If I were Foster, I would just leave United.

If I were United I would sign a striker like David Villa, people say Xavi's the most underrated footballer but Villa's been amazing and it's a shame he won't sign for a bigger club so he can get the recognition he deserves.
Arsenal fan
Real Madrid fan
Juventus fan
TAGGING IS SPAM.

Sdaeriji wrote:

Londim
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Londim » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:00 pm

The blessed Chris wrote:
Londim wrote:

Berbatov is a good player but he isn't United quality. He doesn't fit well into the team dynamic as well as Rooney and Tevez was also a player who fit well into the dynamic who could read the game well. He has really shone at City. Berbatov had all that arrogance at Spurs, but he really hasn't proved to me why he should be a United player. Compared to other strikers in the league like Rooney, Adebayor, Tevez or even Zamora and Bent this season, Berbatov just isn't exciting to watch nor is he offering good returns.
Last edited by Londim on Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YES. I have returned.

The House of Castile
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The House of Castile » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:55 pm

Being a Real Madrid fan, I'm used to seeing strikers flop, Huntelaar, Morientes, Júlio Baptista, Micheal Owen.

Shame about Micheal Owen, I was a fan of his.
Arsenal fan
Real Madrid fan
Juventus fan
TAGGING IS SPAM.

Sdaeriji wrote:

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:58 pm

Londim wrote:Berbatov is a good player but he isn't United quality. He doesn't fit well into the team dynamic as well as Rooney and Tevez was also a player who fit well into the dynamic who could read the game well. He has really shone at City. Berbatov had all that arrogance at Spurs, but he really hasn't proved to me why he should be a United player. Compared to other strikers in the league like Rooney, Adebayor, Tevez or even Zamora and Bent this season, Berbatov just isn't exciting to watch nor is he offering good returns.

The reason he doesn't fit into the United set up is that he wants the ball to his feet, not to have to chase it - I think he reads the game perfectly well, he's often in great positions, it's just that the team is used to passing it forward for Rooney to chase.

I think the English game is just so quick it's hard for anything but the best tippy-tap football,
I hear babies cry, I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll ever know
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 22, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby United Dependencies » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:00 pm

Any suggestions?

Wolverhampton.
Alien Space Bats wrote:2012: The Year We Lost Contact (with Reality).

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

This is Nationstates we're here to help

Are you a native or resident of North Carolina?

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:28 pm

The House of Castile wrote:If I were Foster, I would just leave United.

If I were United I would sign a striker like David Villa, people say Xavi's the most underrated footballer but Villa's been amazing and it's a shame he won't sign for a bigger club so he can get the recognition he deserves.

Villa is too old and too expensive for United, he's put forward a figure of $40M, which given RM's crazy spending last year doesn't seem too bad but I don't think clubs other than Man C., Chelsea or RM will be putting forward that sort of money - having said that, surely Arsenal have a money chest, I wonder what a Villa would do for them?

For goalkeepers, I really like that Burnley guy, reminds me of Schmeichel, sure he's a bit raw but put him through the system, guys got presence and shot-stopping ability,

Brian Jensen,
I hear babies cry, I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll ever know
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General