NATION

PASSWORD

Judge Kavanaugh's confirmation Hearing Now with Poll

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you support the confirmation of Justice Kavanaugh

Yes I support his confirmation allegations against him are likely false or insufficient evidence
45%
Yes I support his confirmation even though the allegations against him are likely true but they are just too old
0%
Yes I support his confirmation because of judicial philosophy regardless of the allegations being true or false
5%
No I am against his confirmation because the allegations are likely true
10%
No I am against his confirmation because of his judicial philosophy (pick this if both please)
39%

Total votes : 238

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:13 pm

Kernen wrote:
El-Amin Caliphate wrote:>when you don't really care about this and just want the US legal system to have a total remake

The US system is the system you get when other countries go for a remake.

Not every country has the equivalent of the US Supreme Court.
Sovaal wrote:
El-Amin Caliphate wrote:>when you don't really care about this and just want the US legal system to have a total remake

Dude, only where from what we have is down. hell it almost didn't make it the first time.

No offense, but this doesn't make grammatical sense. Or am I just not understanding what you're saying?
Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:
Sovaal wrote:Dude, only where from what we have is down. hell it almost didn't make it the first time.

If I recall correctly, he's an advocate for Sharia Law.

Correct :)
Kernen wrote:

Well, he's wrong.

No I'm not.
Kernen wrote:Secular law is best law.

For the >insert word I can't say anymore< it is. Not for religious people.
Kernen wrote:I rather enjoy getting to listen to the hearings live where possible. Its a shame that they have to be so very scripted.

What?
Gig em Aggies wrote:
The South Falls wrote:>implies right never does anything wrong

Never said the right could never do wrong what I did imply was that ever since trump was elected the left has been more detrimental and destructive to American culture and democracy in everything from congress to Supreme Court Justice confirmations how many republicans urged their supporters to hound democrats no matter where they were, how many conservative groups go into Supreme Court confirmations and disrupt the proceedings. How many conservative people and groups go to people minding their own business and steal their personal property just because they don't like the president. How many conservatives say that if there voted into office the first thing they'll do is impeach a democratically elected president, instead of trying to make the lives of the citizens better.

How many leftists have been saying/doing this?
Kubumba Tribe's sister nation. NOT A PUPPET! >w< In fact, this one came 1st.
Proud Full Member of the Council of Islamic Cooperation!^u^
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS
https://americanvision.org/948/theonomy-vs-theocracy/ wrote:God’s law cannot govern a nation where God’s law does not rule in the hearts of the people

Democracy and Freedom Index
Plaetopia wrote:Partly Free / Hybrid regime (score 4-6) El-Amin Caliphate (5.33)

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:18 pm

Protestors give the the speaker an extra 20 seconds to speak. So it works out pretty well for the Republicans most likely to be disrupted.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Ngelmish
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2009
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Ngelmish » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:28 pm

TURTLESHROOM II wrote:
Greed and Death wrote:Last nominee to shoot off his mouth got a whole new verb named for him.

-and that's why a SCOTUS judge never answers any specific questions on what he believes or his policies on the Constitution. He doesn't want to get more Borked up than the Swedish Chef.

It wasn't just Bork's answers that were unpopular (though they were) or Kennedy's speech against his opinions (although that was part of it), polls showed that the public pretty consistently objected to his self-presentation, both the unkempt beard and (perceived or real) arrogance of manner. So it's not as though Bork was an a completely innocent victim -- he made no serious effort to anticipate and address probable concerns against him.

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:30 pm

Cory Booker made some really good questions.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:35 pm

Ngelmish wrote:
TURTLESHROOM II wrote:
-and that's why a SCOTUS judge never answers any specific questions on what he believes or his policies on the Constitution. He doesn't want to get more Borked up than the Swedish Chef.

It wasn't just Bork's answers that were unpopular (though they were) or Kennedy's speech against his opinions (although that was part of it), polls showed that the public pretty consistently objected to his self-presentation, both the unkempt beard and (perceived or real) arrogance of manner. So it's not as though Bork was an a completely innocent victim -- he made no serious effort to anticipate and address probable concerns against him.

I am sure if Einstein were brought before the Senate and questioned about relativity by Senators. He would be viewed as an arrogant know it all with unkempt hair. Before Bork judges were not required to dress pretty to prove they were qualified to sit on the Supreme Court.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Ngelmish
Minister

Postby Ngelmish » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:08 pm

Greed and Death wrote:
Ngelmish wrote:

I am sure if Einstein were brought before the Senate and questioned about relativity by Senators. He would be viewed as an arrogant know it all with unkempt hair. Before Bork judges were not required to dress pretty to prove they were qualified to sit on the Supreme Court.

Personally, I don't think that physical aesthetics should be relevant either. It remains, contrary to popular retelling, Bork's failure as a nominee was not only a liberal hatchet job. Would he have failed without dramatic Democratic opposition? Probably not. But that wasn't the only reason that Bork was unpopular with the public.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:18 pm

Ngelmish wrote:
Greed and Death wrote:

Personally, I don't think that physical aesthetics should be relevant either. It remains, contrary to popular retelling, Bork's failure as a nominee was not only a liberal hatchet job. Would he have failed without dramatic Democratic opposition? Probably not. But that wasn't the only reason that Bork was unpopular with the public.

Judges should not be subject to public popularity contests. Bork was one of the greatest judicial minds of his generation and the greatest conservative legal scholar of his generation. Bork's borking has caused the supreme court to be filled with candidates who have not publicly dealt with the most pressing legal issues of our day. This decreases the quality of the candidates and has turned this into a turf war between conservatives and liberals, a turf war the liberal side is about to lose.
Barack Obama

Ngelmish
Minister

Postby Ngelmish » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:53 pm

Greed and Death wrote:
Ngelmish wrote:

Judges should not be subject to public popularity contests. Bork was one of the greatest judicial minds of his generation and the greatest conservative legal scholar of his generation. Bork's borking has caused the supreme court to be filled with candidates who have not publicly dealt with the most pressing legal issues of our day. This decreases the quality of the candidates and has turned this into a turf war between conservatives and liberals, a turf war the liberal side is about to lose.

Without litigating the merits of Bork's nomination, the fact remains that he was genuinely unpopular for a high court nominee -- and had his own demeanor to blame, in part, not just Ted Kennedy.

As to the ideological composition of the court, it remains that that composition has changed more than once in American history. I have no doubt that the libertarian vision of the Constitution embodied by the Roberts Court will eventually change to something else. And partisan composition isn't always as predictive as it may seem. It was a Republican court that gave us Plessy.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:56 pm

Greed and Death wrote:
Ngelmish wrote:

For now.

That said I do tend to agree with your basic analysis.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:56 pm

Lets hope he has as much integrity as he claims he has.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:04 pm

Greed and Death wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:He'll be confirmed because there's a Republican majority in the Senate. Donald Trump could shoot someone in Times Square and Kavanaugh would still be confirmed.

But Kavanaugh can't shoot off his mouth in the hearing and be confirmed.

Oh he is a highly trained operative. He dodges questions like a champ. Mastered the filabuster and answering without saying anything.

I would have at least liked to hear explanations for some of his "odd" comments he wrote.

I once listened to Scalia. I didn't like the guy but he did at least give you a detailed explanation to question and his thinking on the matters.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:08 pm

Greed and Death wrote:
Ngelmish wrote:

Popularity? Sure they have been for a long time. Listen to the Reps; it's not because he would be one of the greatest scholars ever. He is a good pro-business pro-gun religious conservative who will support donnie in the upcoming problems.

The people have a right to get some insight to his ways and thinking. He will be changing the court.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:26 pm

Damn. You are right. Booker is hammering him.

I have listed to the morning stuff and I am still trying to get an idea to his thinking on things. So far its mainly precedence, the supreme court and kagen.......

US-SSR
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

God how I miss Al Franken

Postby US-SSR » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:43 pm

As long as the Republicans want to seat the most partisan justice on the most activist Supremacist KKKourt in living memory this will go through. Say goodbye to Roe v. Wade, voting rights, worker rights, public accommodations law, minority rights, immigrant rights, quite possibly same-sex marriage. Oh did you like those things? Sure hope you bothered to vote 22 months ago because as you know now elections have consequences.

There's also a distinct possibility the reason Kavanaugh was nominated was to stop the last hole through which impeachment could slip. Rest assured, if he's seated every contentious issue emerging from the Mueller investigation will be litigated all the way to the Supremacists and will be decided 5-4 in favor of Trump. Some day we will learn just how they bought Kennedy's premature retirement.
8:46

We're not going to control the pandemic!

It is a slaughter and not just a political dispute.

"The scraps of narcissism, the rotten remnants of conspiracy theories, the offal of sour grievance, the half-eaten bits of resentment flow by. They do not cohere. But they move in the same, insistent current of self, self, self."

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:46 pm

US-SSR wrote:As long as the Republicans want to seat the most partisan justice on the most activist Supremacist KKKourt in living memory this will go through. Say goodbye to Roe v. Wade, voting rights, worker rights, public accommodations law, minority rights, immigrant rights, quite possibly same-sex marriage. Oh did you like those things? Sure hope you bothered to vote 22 months ago because as you know now elections have consequences.

There's also a distinct possibility the reason Kavanaugh was nominated was to stop the last hole through which impeachment could slip. Rest assured, if he's seated every contentious issue emerging from the Mueller investigation will be litigated all the way to the Supremacists and will be decided 5-4 in favor of Trump. Some day we will learn just how they bought Kennedy's premature retirement.

Can't tell if real or satire.

US-SSR
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby US-SSR » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:04 pm

Napkiraly wrote:Can't tell if real or satire.

Frighteningly real.
8:46

We're not going to control the pandemic!

It is a slaughter and not just a political dispute.

"The scraps of narcissism, the rotten remnants of conspiracy theories, the offal of sour grievance, the half-eaten bits of resentment flow by. They do not cohere. But they move in the same, insistent current of self, self, self."

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011

Postby Bombadil » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:20 pm

This whole 'white power' hand signal is amusing..

Her husband wrote this..

Zina is Mexican on her mother’s side and Jewish on her father’s side. She was born in Mexico. Her grandparents were Holocaust survivors. We of course have nothing to do with hate groups, which aim to terrorize and demean other people — never have and never would.

It's just a bollocksy meme spreading around like wildfire.. but where does the bollocks even come from?

It's an alt-right troll.. they thought spreading the idea of the 'ok' sign being a white power signal across left wing social channels so people would believe it and then call out exactly this sort of thing. This would then show how triggered leftists are at bullshit.

Here's the original post from 4Chan on the ruse - https://knowyourmeme.com/photos/1249757-ok-symbol
(is linking to 4Chan allowed, I don't know so I've done a Knowyourmeme link instead)

This whole stupid subterfuge battle on both sides, whether the over-reaction to the over-reaction around Nike and just all of it.. it's just fucking stupid.
Last edited by Bombadil on Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008

Postby Shofercia » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:36 am

US-SSR wrote:As long as the Republicans want to seat the most partisan justice on the most activist Supremacist KKKourt in living memory this will go through. Say goodbye to Roe v. Wade, voting rights, worker rights, public accommodations law, minority rights, immigrant rights, quite possibly same-sex marriage. Oh did you like those things? Sure hope you bothered to vote 22 months ago because as you know now elections have consequences.

Wait, you think that Trump is nominating Kavanaugh to avoid impeachment!? :lol2:

That's funny. Last time I checked, it takes two thirds of the Senate to impeach, and considering that in the best case scenario for Democrats, Republicans retain 48 Senators, I really don't see that happening. You might be talking about the 25th Amendment, but if you are, I invite you to actually read it, rather than CNN's interpretation of it.

Trump is nominating Kavanaugh to run for a second term. Although the Republicans should end up with 54 Senate seats, they might lose some seats in the House, whereas Trump would prefer a gain. If Republicans gain in both in the midterms, Trump will get a boon in the 2020 General Election from the Republican Party. As far as Kennedy's premature retirement, NSG figured that one out:

Farnhamia wrote:He's the Anthony Kennedy pick. I betcha Kennedy told Trump, "Okay, I'll retire but I get to name my successor and I pick Brett Kavanaugh. You can spin it any way you like." Kavanaugh clerked in the CoA for the Third District and in the CoA for the Ninth, and of course for Kennedy. A curious mixture.

But please, continue with your conspiracies, US-SSR. That said, if Ginsburg retires, I can see a way for SCOTUS to overturn Roe, but that would require Ginsburg retiring. Not seeing that one happening.
Last edited by Shofercia on Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:23 am

I wonder how many quisling corporate Dems will vote to confirm him. Probably a lot.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:00 am

Page wrote:I wonder how many quisling corporate Dems will vote to confirm him. Probably a lot.

Kudos for using the word 'quisling' which I've not heard in a while. I don't know enough about the Judge or the ins and outs of the SCOTUS but I just hope if he is confirmed he's not an arsehole.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:45 am

The Black Forrest wrote:Damn. You are right. Booker is hammering him.

I have listed to the morning stuff and I am still trying to get an idea to his thinking on things. So far its mainly precedence, the supreme court and kagen.......

and when they critique his amicus or dissent he points out the supreme court adopted his view.
Barack Obama

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:52 am

Bombadil wrote:This whole 'white power' hand signal is amusing..

Her husband wrote this..

Zina is Mexican on her mother’s side and Jewish on her father’s side. She was born in Mexico. Her grandparents were Holocaust survivors. We of course have nothing to do with hate groups, which aim to terrorize and demean other people — never have and never would.

It's just a bollocksy meme spreading around like wildfire.. but where does the bollocks even come from?

It's an alt-right troll.. they thought spreading the idea of the 'ok' sign being a white power signal across left wing social channels so people would believe it and then call out exactly this sort of thing. This would then show how triggered leftists are at bullshit.

Here's the original post from 4Chan on the ruse - https://knowyourmeme.com/photos/1249757-ok-symbol
(is linking to 4Chan allowed, I don't know so I've done a Knowyourmeme link instead)

This whole stupid subterfuge battle on both sides, whether the over-reaction to the over-reaction around Nike and just all of it.. it's just fucking stupid.

The name Zina should have clued them in that maybe she would not be a white power flashing type of person. It is amusing that a joke post on 4chan has taken the left by storm.
Barack Obama

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:56 am

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:
Kernen wrote:The US system is the system you get when other countries go for a remake.

The US sitn every country.
Sovaal wrote:Dude, only where from what we have is down. hell it almost didn't make it the first time.

No offense, but this doesn't make grammatical sense. Or am I just not understanding what you're saying?

Ain’t no new generally agreed upon government coming into power. Americans like the one we already have well enough.

Correct :)
Kernen wrote:Well, he's wrong.

No I'm not.

They can get the hell out of my country then.
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:00 am

Napkiraly wrote:

Can't tell if real or satire.

With the use of KKKourt I’d hope satire.
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

Kernen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:30 am

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:
Kernen wrote:The US system is the system you get when other countries go for a remake.

I think you missed the joke.
Kernen wrote:Well, he's wrong.

No I'm not.

Obey it on your own time as a personal creed and leave the rest of the world out of it? Doesn't matter what the religious law is. Secular law is the most equitable by far.

What?

Every nominee since the 80s has been extensively prepared, and the Committee knows it. Everybody knows who will ask what and what Kavanaugh will say.
Last edited by Kernen on Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Get abortions, do drugs, own guns, but never misstate legal procedure.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General