NATION

PASSWORD

NFL Thread v2: The 2020 NFL Season!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Super Bowl Championship: Who’s the winner?

Kansas City Chiefs and Patty freaking Mahomes
56%
Seattle Seahawks, Let Russ Cool!
44%

Total votes : 9

Tombradyonia
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 15, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Tombradyonia » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:43 am

Breaking Badlands wrote:Nevertheless, to me as an NFL QB, Tom Brady is the g.o.a.t.. However, that being said, he is not at this juncture of his career. Time waits for no man, but for Tom as a QB in the NFL it's been the best ride. ;)

It certainly has been. Heck, even 10 consecutive 1-15 seasons won't wipe the smile off my face of all the joy me and my friends experienced from us winning and winning and winning and winning etc...
I also admit to having loved the Jets being hapless for all but three of the seasons with Brady as Pats QB. So much schadenfreude and the Buttfumble game being the absolute highlight (apart from the half a dozen Lombardis).
Inverted Flag Law: US Code Title 4 Section 8 Paragraph (a): The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
The United States of America has been in a state of dire distress since November 8, 2016. Flying the flag upside down is not only our right, it is our duty!
Make Maine Massachusetts again!
Either you are with the United States of America, or you are with Donald Trump

Breaking Badlands
Attaché

Founded: Mar 03, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Breaking Badlands » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:16 am

Impaled Nazarene wrote:
Breaking Badlands wrote:
George Blanda, 48, finals season 1975. Dude was mostly a kicker who could play QB if necessary.

Don't you talk shit about George Blanda. One of the best QBs of the old school. Had a fantastic mental strength too. A damn shame he and Jim Otto retired just a bit early.

You know next to nothing. He was what I said and I didn't say he was shit... but maybe I could have. First off, George Blanda was an interception throwing machine, son.

These are is int numbers for the 6 years the AFL existed before he was benched for Darryl Lamonica. Beginning with 1960: 22, 22, 42, 25, 27,30, 21 ints. Keep in mind these were only 14 game seasons. In 1962 he averaged 3 ints a game.

For his career as a QB he had a pathetic 47% completion rate. Yards per attempt was 6.7 with 236 TDs and 277 ints. Blanda also rushed for 344 yards in his career, whoopee! These numbers even sucked for his era.

Nope, I wouldn't put him up there with the best QBs Johnny Unitas or Bart Star or Len Dawson. No one with one clue would do that.

As for his kicking, he wasn't Justin Tucker or even Garo Yepremian either. Blanda converted 335 of 639 of FGAs for 52.4%, with his longest being 55 yards. He punted 22 times total for an average of 36.8 yards, with the last attempt being in 1956. Why? Because he sucked at punting.

So, why didn't i say he was shit? Mainly respect for his longevity and ability to play numerous positions (though not well) in a pinch.

He actually played a game for the original 1950 Baltimore Colts, which came into the NFL with the Browns and 49ers from the defunct AAFC. This team CTE'd in 1952 and was not related to the 1952 Dallas Texans who moved to Baltimore in 1953 becoming the Colts. They are the current Colts which took off for Indy in 1984. No relation to the 1960 AFL Dallas Texans who became the Chiefs. (The NFL didn't sue for copyright infringement back then bc they weren't quite filthy rich yet.)

Now you been schooled.

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:52 pm

Former Bengals and Bears RB Cedric Benson was killed in a motorcycle crash.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:54 pm

Breaking Badlands wrote:
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Don't you talk shit about George Blanda. One of the best QBs of the old school. Had a fantastic mental strength too. A damn shame he and Jim Otto retired just a bit early.

You know next to nothing. He was what I said and I didn't say he was shit... but maybe I could have. First off, George Blanda was an interception throwing machine, son.

These are is int numbers for the 6 years the AFL existed before he was benched for Darryl Lamonica. Beginning with 1960: 22, 22, 42, 25, 27,30, 21 ints. Keep in mind these were only 14 game seasons. In 1962 he averaged 3 ints a game.

For his career as a QB he had a pathetic 47% completion rate. Yards per attempt was 6.7 with 236 TDs and 277 ints. Blanda also rushed for 344 yards in his career, whoopee! These numbers even sucked for his era.

Nope, I wouldn't put him up there with the best QBs Johnny Unitas or Bart Star or Len Dawson. No one with one clue would do that.

As for his kicking, he wasn't Justin Tucker or even Garo Yepremian either. Blanda converted 335 of 639 of FGAs for 52.4%, with his longest being 55 yards. He punted 22 times total for an average of 36.8 yards, with the last attempt being in 1956. Why? Because he sucked at punting.

So, why didn't i say he was shit? Mainly respect for his longevity and ability to play numerous positions (though not well) in a pinch.

He actually played a game for the original 1950 Baltimore Colts, which came into the NFL with the Browns and 49ers from the defunct AAFC. This team CTE'd in 1952 and was not related to the 1952 Dallas Texans who moved to Baltimore in 1953 becoming the Colts. They are the current Colts which took off for Indy in 1984. No relation to the 1960 AFL Dallas Texans who became the Chiefs. (The NFL didn't sue for copyright infringement back then bc they weren't quite filthy rich yet.)

Now you been schooled.

Can we please take the uppity attitude elsewhere? It makes the thread a whole lot less fun.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Breaking Badlands
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Breaking Badlands » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:15 pm

Idzequitch wrote:
Breaking Badlands wrote:

Now you been schooled.

Can we please take the uppity attitude elsewhere? It makes the thread a whole lot less fun.

Perhaps, since you did say please, that is as long as your not defending stupid responses. Now, do you want to argue George Blanda was a great QB too?

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:11 pm

Breaking Badlands wrote:
Idzequitch wrote:Can we please take the uppity attitude elsewhere? It makes the thread a whole lot less fun.

Perhaps, since you did say please, that is as long as your not defending stupid responses. Now, do you want to argue George Blanda was a great QB too?

I'm fairly ignorant of pre-Super Bowl era football, so I haven't got an opinion on the matter.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

Breaking Badlands
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Breaking Badlands » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:02 pm

Idzequitch wrote:
Breaking Badlands wrote:

I'm fairly ignorant of pre-Super Bowl era football, so I haven't got an opinion on the matter.

Well then. Steeler fans didn't miss a thing. That being said, the 1970s made up for it.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:11 pm

Breaking Badlands wrote:
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Don't you talk shit about George Blanda. One of the best QBs of the old school. Had a fantastic mental strength too. A damn shame he and Jim Otto retired just a bit early.

Now you been schooled.

Eli Manning is an interception-throwing machine too. Still managed to win 2 Super Bowls.

Ben Roethlisberger also. Has two Super Bowls.

Brett Favre holds MULTIPLE RECORDS for most INTs thrown, and yet he has a Super Bowl and is REVERED in Green Bay for his play.

Nobody’s been schooled. Let people like who they like. Except the Raiders, Cowboys, Falcons, and Jets. All of those teams are bad and deserve to be wrecked by every team they play.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:47 pm

Breaking Badlands wrote:
Now you been schooled.

Really? Sounds more like you haven't watched any old football footage. I grew up watching footage from back when Jerz was a child. I've seen myself that the man was one hell of a QB obviously not as good as Unitas and the like but people like you always forget there's things between bad and hall of fame. Don't act like you've "schooled me" when all you've done is post an ignorant opinion after reading wikipedia.
Anarchist
Kiaculta wrote:Oh, Kar, you silly sack of shit.
Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Bickering ist krieg.
Infected Mushroom wrote:isn't this a bit extreme?
Finland SSR wrote:"Many dictatorships are oligarchies.
Many democracies are oligarchies.
Therefore, many dictatorships are democracies."

-said no one ever. I made these words up.
Genivaria wrote:"WHY!? Why do this!? Thousands of planets and trillions of innocent lives gone! For what!?"
"It seemed like fun at the time."

Breaking Badlands
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Breaking Badlands » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:17 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Breaking Badlands wrote:

Now you been schooled.

Eli Manning is an interception-throwing machine too. Still managed to win 2 Super Bowls.

Brett Favre holds MULTIPLE RECORDS for most INTs thrown, and yet he has a Super Bowl and is REVERED in Green Bay for his play.

Nobody’s been schooled. Let people like who they like. Except the Raiders, Cowboys, Falcons, and Jets. All of those teams are bad and deserve to be wrecked by every team they play.

Fish have been schooled. Ask any of the Dolphins' fans, that is if you can find one. :p

Subjectively, sure. Let people like what they like and not like what they don't like. For instance, I like Cheddar cheese but i don't like Cottage Cheese. This doesn't mean one is better than the other bc they are different.

However, when there is no delineation between a comment being objective or subjective in an accusatory response, then objective criticism should be assumed necessary and the response should be dealt with accordingly. The lone exception is if your student has an individualized education program (IEP) or is a 504. In that case, let them have their uninformed say and just move on. That's how schooling is done for a few pupils but not all.

Now, can we get back to the chemistry of football teams, if you will?

Zurkerx
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 20, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Zurkerx » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:56 am

I need to start thinking about my picks. I came in third last season so I'm going for the gold :D
A Golden Civic: The New Pragmatic Libertarian
My Words: Indeed, Indubitably & Malarkey
Retired Admin in NSGS and NS Parliament

Accountant, Author, History Buff, Political Junkie
“Has ambition so eclipsed principle?” ~ Mitt Romney
"Try not to become a person of success, but rather try to become a person of value." ~ Albert Einstein
"Trust, but verify." ~ Ronald Reagan

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:28 am

Zurkerx wrote:I need to start thinking about my picks. I came in third last season so I'm going for the gold :D

I'm needing some redemption!
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:00 pm

I like the Houston one. Like a nice reference to the old Oilers.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Breaking Badlands
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Breaking Badlands » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:25 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:

Bird named teams meet in St. Louie. Once they had the NFL St. Louis Cardinals for decades before the Rams shorter tenure. The city also had the NBA's St. Louis Hawks but for not as long time. I'm not so sure St. Louis Battle Hawks has that good a ring to it though.

All the other names are pretty good. I agree the best one is easily the Houston Roughnecks. One thing, the Dallas Renegades seems to be borrowing from two old USFL clubs simultaneously. First "Orlando" Renegades for it's name and colors, second, the logo design of the Oklahoma Outlaws, which was very decent. They did a nice job of merging these together.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:03 pm

Breaking Badlands wrote:
Luminesa wrote:Eli Manning is an interception-throwing machine too. Still managed to win 2 Super Bowls.

Fish have been schooled. Ask any of the Dolphins' fans, that is if you can find one. :p

Subjectively, sure. Let people like what they like and not like what they don't like. For instance, I like Cheddar cheese but i don't like Cottage Cheese. This doesn't mean one is better than the other bc they are different.

However, when there is no delineation between a comment being objective or subjective in an accusatory response, then objective criticism should be assumed necessary and the response should be dealt with accordingly. The lone exception is if your student has an individualized education program (IEP) or is a 504. In that case, let them have their uninformed say and just move on. That's how schooling is done for a few pupils but not all.

...You’re the one who started wandering into talking about IEPs and 504s. And trust me, as a teacher, I am quite familiar with both of those. Really your comment was not objective and was laced with quite a bit of condescension. This is a fun thread. You shouldn’t be here if you don’t want to have fun. And not only did you not address any of my counter-arguments, but you then assumed I’m the one who dragged the thread off-course. There’s no reason to act like you somehow know the game better than everyone else.

Only Jerzy can do that since he’s older than the game itself. >.>
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
-Alan Jackson

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:04 pm

Idzequitch wrote:Former Bengals and Bears RB Cedric Benson was killed in a motorcycle crash.

I saw that! Poor dude was quite young. May he Rest In Peace. :(
-Alan Jackson

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:47 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:

>Green and Yellow for Tampa
Fuck me how do you downgrade the state of Florida's Uniforms even more??? The Apollos while having a silly name had great uniforms and schemes.
LA is going to have an ugly scheme too but thats traditional for LA teams (pre-nfl fuckery of course) not named the Lakers to have uninspired or boring color schemes.
If not for Tampa, Houston and St. Louis would be fighting for #1 in my heart.

My affection prediction rankings
1: Tampa (native)
2: Houston (Oilers <3) / St. Louis (fuck you Kroenke)
3: Seattle
4: New York
5: DC
6: Dallas
7: LA
Last edited by Impaled Nazarene on Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anarchist

Genivaria wrote:"WHY!? Why do this!? Thousands of planets and trillions of innocent lives gone! For what!?"

Breaking Badlands
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Breaking Badlands » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:45 am

Luminesa wrote:
Breaking Badlands wrote:

...You’re the one who started wandering into talking about IEPs and 504s. And trust me, as a teacher, I am quite familiar with both of those. Really your comment was not objective and was laced with quite a bit of condescension. This is a fun thread. You shouldn’t be here if you don’t want to have fun. And not only did you not address any of my counter-arguments, but you then assumed I’m the one who dragged the thread off-course. There’s no reason to act like you somehow know the game better than everyone else.

Only Jerzy can do that since he’s older than the game itself. >.>

Nope. I corrected somebody's incorrect characterization of my comment on George Blanda and it should have been left at that. Please go back and read where this all started.

What grade or subject do you teach?

Breaking Badlands
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Breaking Badlands » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:45 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Idzequitch wrote:Former Bengals and Bears RB Cedric Benson was killed in a motorcycle crash.

I saw that! Poor dude was quite young. May he Rest In Peace. :(

This is horrible. I knew a couple guys who were eventually killed on bikes. Not a friendly death. My sincerest condolences go out to Benson's family.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:36 pm

The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Fire the Ameri.

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:38 pm

The team is winning the game.
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Breaking Badlands
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Breaking Badlands » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:55 pm

Ravens knocked off the Eagles up in Philly tonight 26-15. Makes sixteen preseason wins in a row and Lamar Jackson sat out this night off. Eagles are a good team. I think this win on the road means we are solid down the roster.

3rd string rookie QB Trace McSorley was 16/24 for 203 yards and 2 TDs in the first half while piling up a 26-0 lead. This guy is gonna amount to somebody in this league someday, something big as long as he stays healthy.

Bad weather stopped the game with around ten minutes to go. Good call. Speaking of calls, Ed Hockuli's kid is a head ref now, He must own a laundry business. Junior threw 20 flags in the first half alone, mostly on us. Damn, he's worse than Ed.

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:46 pm

Anarchist

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:10 pm

Well how bout that...
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 10, 2016

Postby Jerzylvania » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:13 pm

Colts are out of Luck? Time to finally turn that horseshoe upside down. It's been a bad karma team a long time.
Donald Trump has no clue as to what "insuring the domestic tranquility" means

The Baltimore Orioles are shocking the baseball world!

Jerzylvania is the NFL Picks League Champion in 2018 and in 2020 as puppet Traffic Signal and AGAIN in 2023 as puppet Joe Munchkin !!!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General