NATION

PASSWORD

NFL Thread v2: The 2020 NFL Season!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Super Bowl Championship: Who’s the winner?

Kansas City Chiefs and Patty freaking Mahomes
56%
Seattle Seahawks, Let Russ Cool!
44%

Total votes : 9

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 29, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Wed May 15, 2019 5:08 am

Idzequitch wrote:
Ranoria wrote:I mean, he isn’t wrong. That said, I’d give the guy pointers at any opportunity. A lot of veterans try to do that for the younger ones. Not just at QB either. Justin Tuck and Khalil Mack, AB and Juju to some extent before that went south.

Back in the day when we could still almost pretend that AB was a decent human being.

When I could still pretend, Idz. You were all telling me he was a cancer in the first place :p And you were right
Fan of football, the Murican kind. But soccer is cool too! Just not really my thing. C(:^D/-<
I go by Ran. Unless, of course, you want to type out Ranoria. That's your decision.
Lumi is my NS mom
Champions: NSCF 20, 22, 27, 29, 30. World Bowl 42, 43, 46, WBC 57

Hosting: Co-Host WB 44, 47, Host WB 46, plus some NSCAA/NSCF conferences here and there

Saint Ryvern
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Ryvern » Wed May 15, 2019 6:38 am

Ranoria wrote:

I mean, he isn’t wrong. That said, I’d give the guy pointers at any opportunity. A lot of veterans try to do that for the younger ones. Not just at QB either. Justin Tuck and Khalil Mack, AB and Juju to some extent before that went south.

The difference between Tuck-Mack and AB-JuJu is that there’s more than one DE or WR on the field at a time, the players at those positions rotate on and off the field more too. By giving newer players at those positions advice you’re not preparing them to take your job because you can co-exist on the roster. Obviously, that’s not the case with a QB. Flacco wants to keep his starting job, and it’s not his responsibility to train his replacement and accelerate his own departure. They have a QB coach for a reason.

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Wed May 15, 2019 9:55 am

Saint Ryvern wrote:
Ranoria wrote:I mean, he isn’t wrong. That said, I’d give the guy pointers at any opportunity. A lot of veterans try to do that for the younger ones. Not just at QB either. Justin Tuck and Khalil Mack, AB and Juju to some extent before that went south.

The difference between Tuck-Mack and AB-JuJu is that there’s more than one DE or WR on the field at a time, the players at those positions rotate on and off the field more too. By giving newer players at those positions advice you’re not preparing them to take your job because you can co-exist on the roster. Obviously, that’s not the case with a QB. Flacco wants to keep his starting job, and it’s not his responsibility to train his replacement and accelerate his own departure. They have a QB coach for a reason.

That’s a fair point actually that I didn’t think of. Normally I consider that. I don’t think Lock is much of a threat honestly. I doubt the guy’s going to amount to much, and a healthy Flacco is a solid player with a cannon for an arm.
Fan of football, the Murican kind. But soccer is cool too! Just not really my thing. C(:^D/-<
I go by Ran. Unless, of course, you want to type out Ranoria. That's your decision.
Lumi is my NS mom

Hosting: Co-Host WB 44, 47, Host WB 46, plus some NSCAA/NSCF conferences here and there

Saint Ryvern
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Ryvern » Wed May 15, 2019 10:17 am

Ranoria wrote:That’s a fair point actually that I didn’t think of. Normally I consider that. I don’t think Lock is much of a threat honestly. I doubt the guy’s going to amount to much, and a healthy Flacco is a solid player with a cannon for an arm.

I agree that Flacco will be better healthy and that Lock doesn't pose a significant threat to his job, but you can't blame the guy for being concerned. Though Elway has said Lock will be competing for the backup job. Hopefully it won't descend to the point of the Favre-Rodgers beef in Green Bay back in 2005, which resulted in Brett regularly pranking Aaron.

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 10, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Jerzylvania » Wed May 15, 2019 4:06 pm

Ranoria wrote:

I mean, he isn’t wrong. That said, I’d give the guy pointers at any opportunity. A lot of veterans try to do that for the younger ones. Not just at QB either. Justin Tuck and Khalil Mack, AB and Juju to some extent before that went south.

I think his attitude towards Lamar Jackson was similar but yet unspoken. Yet many of us could tell from body language and such. That being said, his current statements out in Broncolandia isn't too savvy. I don't understand what he's thinking. Perhaps he feels somewhat scared or even threatened by Lock after losing his job last year to a rookie. Joe's lost his job once since college. Poor baby. :eyebrow:

Saint Ryvern wrote:

One of the main slogans of Harbaugh and Billick in Baltimore is "next man up." Ray Lewis and his teammates always coached up their understudies. Flacco should know this mantra well by now. I have to assume he's emotionally immature to make these statements.

Saint Ryvern wrote:
Ranoria wrote:That’s a fair point actually that I didn’t think of. Normally I consider that. I don’t think Lock is much of a threat honestly. I doubt the guy’s going to amount to much, and a healthy Flacco is a solid player with a cannon for an arm.

I agree that Flacco will be better healthy and that Lock doesn't pose a significant threat to his job, but you can't blame the guy for being concerned. Though Elway has said Lock will be competing for the backup job. Hopefully it won't descend to the point of the Favre-Rodgers beef in Green Bay back in 2005, which resulted in Brett regularly pranking Aaron.

Yes, but one doesn't say this publicly, especially as a new player in the team. It's a dumb ass thing to say

Idzequitch wrote:

Back in the day when we could still almost pretend that AB was a decent human being.

There's no getting around this, it's a coarse world now.
Last edited by Jerzylvania on Wed May 15, 2019 4:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Donald Trump has no clue as to what "insuring the domestic tranquility" means

The Baltimore Orioles are shocking the baseball world!

Jerzylvania is the NFL Picks League Champion in 2018 and in 2020 as puppet Traffic Signal and AGAIN in 2023 as puppet Joe Munchkin !!!

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Wed May 15, 2019 5:39 pm

Unless Flacco is actually a lazy checkdown machine and the Broncos are too stupid to start the rookie I think they'll win their division.
Anarchist
Kiaculta wrote:Oh, Kar, you silly sack of shit.
Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Bickering ist krieg.
Infected Mushroom wrote:isn't this a bit extreme?
Finland SSR wrote:"Many dictatorships are oligarchies.
Many democracies are oligarchies.
Therefore, many dictatorships are democracies."

-said no one ever. I made these words up.
Genivaria wrote:"WHY!? Why do this!? Thousands of planets and trillions of innocent lives gone! For what!?"
"It seemed like fun at the time."

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Wed May 15, 2019 5:41 pm

Impaled Nazarene wrote:Unless Flacco is actually a lazy checkdown machine and the Broncos are too stupid to start the rookie I think they'll win their division.

We're not winning this division for a while. Not with Mahomes in it.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Wed May 15, 2019 5:48 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Unless Flacco is actually a lazy checkdown machine and the Broncos are too stupid to start the rookie I think they'll win their division.

We're not winning this division for a while. Not with Mahomes in it.

If Vic isn't a chump the division is yours to lose. Mahomes is not unbeatable and Denver's D is good enough to stop the rest of the Chiefs. San Diego only makes the playoffs because they always have an easy schedule and with Denver improving that is 2 less chances at free wins.
Anarchist

Genivaria wrote:"WHY!? Why do this!? Thousands of planets and trillions of innocent lives gone! For what!?"

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Wed May 15, 2019 7:19 pm

Impaled Nazarene wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:We're not winning this division for a while. Not with Mahomes in it.

If Vic isn't a chump the division is yours to lose. Mahomes is not unbeatable and Denver's D is good enough to stop the rest of the Chiefs. San Diego only makes the playoffs because they always have an easy schedule and with Denver improving that is 2 less chances at free wins.

Agreed. I’d also like to point out that no one is unstoppable in the NFL. Look at the Rams. Jesus. Or the 2015 Panthers, while we’re on the topic of the Broncos. Their defense was producing turnovers like a machine, Cam was MVP, and everything was working.

And frankly, I think the Chiefs have had more losses than that team, a team they weren’t as good as. Justin houston and Dee Ford are probably a net loss of around 10 sacks after their recent pickups probably. That’s going to hurt the coverage guys as well. Tyreek is done, Kareem Hunt is gone. Don’t underestimate what a threat of the run game and an ungodly fast receiver can do to a defense. And they themselves don’t have the defense to help out the O.

Don’t get me wrong, Ogbah was a savvy pick up and I’m not sure why the Browns let him go, especially when they’ve seen what a pass rush rotation can do first hand against the Ravens. But they don’t have too end talent anywhere besides DT on the defensive side of the ball. On offense, it’s Eric Fischer, Mahomes, Kelce, and...Watkins? I know I was doing the same thing last year with the Chiefs, but I don’t see this team doing what it did last season.
Last edited by Ranoria on Wed May 15, 2019 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lumi is my NS mom

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Postby Jerzylvania » Thu May 16, 2019 10:07 am

Ranoria wrote:
Impaled Nazarene wrote:If Vic isn't a chump the division is yours to lose. Mahomes is not unbeatable and Denver's D is good enough to stop the rest of the Chiefs. San Diego only makes the playoffs because they always have an easy schedule and with Denver improving that is 2 less chances at free wins.

Agreed. I’d also like to point out that no one is unstoppable in the NFL. Look at the Rams. Jesus. Or the 2015 Panthers, while we’re on the topic of the Broncos. Their defense was producing turnovers like a machine, Cam was MVP, and everything was working.

And frankly, I think the Chiefs have had more losses than that team, a team they weren’t as good as. Justin houston and Dee Ford are probably a net loss of around 10 sacks after their recent pickups probably. That’s going to hurt the coverage guys as well. Tyreek is done, Kareem Hunt is gone. Don’t underestimate what a threat of the run game and an ungodly fast receiver can do to a defense. And they themselves don’t have the defense to help out the O.

Don’t get me wrong, Ogbah was a savvy pick up and I’m not sure why the Browns let him go, especially when they’ve seen what a pass rush rotation can do first hand against the Ravens. But they don’t have too end talent anywhere besides DT on the defensive side of the ball. On offense, it’s Eric Fischer, Mahomes, Kelce, and...Watkins? I know I was doing the same thing last year with the Chiefs, but I don’t see this team doing what it did last season.

You're over the top on what happened in the playoffs to the Ravens with regard to 2019. They were operating on a makeshift playbook since Lamar came in with 7 games left in season. No one knew how far things would go or whether Flacco would get back in. It was week to week. If you really think NOW that Harbaugh and Greg Roman (new OC) will be unprepared (especially after the draft picks) then you are living in fantasy land. That being said there is a chance their plans fail, but that chance is much smaller than you think. Can't wait to see.

Jerzylvania is the NFL Picks League Champion in 2018 and in 2020 as puppet Traffic Signal and AGAIN in 2023 as puppet Joe Munchkin !!!

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Thu May 16, 2019 10:19 am

Patrick Peterson got busted for juicing. Out for 6 weeks.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Fire the Ameri.

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Postby Jerzylvania » Thu May 16, 2019 10:49 am

Ameriganastan wrote:Patrick Peterson got busted for juicing. Out for 6 weeks.

PP fails pee-pee test? That might piss some Cardinal fans off. But frankly, they aren't going anywhere in 2019. ;)

Baltimore-Ravens
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 21, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Baltimore-Ravens » Thu May 16, 2019 12:53 pm

Ravens sign former (2011-2014) ILB Pernell McPhee to a contract. McPhee, 30, was signed away by the Bears in 2015 with a lucrative contract. He was with the Redskins last year, spent most of the season injured like most of their players.
World's Unofficial #1 Ravens Fan!

An NFL thread alternate nation of ???

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Thu May 16, 2019 4:09 pm

Jerzylvania wrote:
Ranoria wrote:Agreed. I’d also like to point out that no one is unstoppable in the NFL. Look at the Rams. Jesus. Or the 2015 Panthers, while we’re on the topic of the Broncos. Their defense was producing turnovers like a machine, Cam was MVP, and everything was working.

You're over the top on what happened in the playoffs to the Ravens with regard to 2019. They were operating on a makeshift playbook since Lamar came in with 7 games left in season. No one knew how far things would go or whether Flacco would get back in. It was week to week. If you really think NOW that Harbaugh and Greg Roman (new OC) will be unprepared (especially after the draft picks) then you are living in fantasy land. That being said there is a chance their plans fail, but that chance is much smaller than you think. Can't wait to see.

The only thing I pointed out with the Ravens was that the Browns should have tried to emulate the pass rush rotation they had. Smith, Suggs, Tim Williams, etc. I didn’t say anything about their offense. Or the Ravens in the playoffs. I was saying the Chiefs offense isn’t going to be as potent as it was a year ago, and that their (weaker) D isn’t good enough to make up for that slippage.
Last edited by Ranoria on Thu May 16, 2019 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lumi is my NS mom

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Postby Jerzylvania » Thu May 16, 2019 5:23 pm

Ranoria wrote:
Jerzylvania wrote:

The only thing I pointed out with the Ravens was that the Browns should have tried to emulate the pass rush rotation they had. Smith, Suggs, Tim Williams, etc. I didn’t say anything about their offense. Or the Ravens in the playoffs. I was saying the Chiefs offense isn’t going to be as potent as it was a year ago, and that their (weaker) D isn’t good enough to make up for that slippage.

I think you mentioned the 23-17 playoff loss to the Chargers before in that light, but i could be mistaken. What i said is true tho. This will be some kind of interesting with the speed available. And time to concoct a full playbook.

As with the Chiefs, the defense. The Ravens will need to see ILB Kenny Young play as well and more than last year. In the middle of the field is the "?" Ravens will need more from Williams and Bowser. Ferguson must have some kind of decent impact. The back and front end of the D will be fine but can be great if the middle holds it's own.

BTW, how will things be with Mariota and the castaway Dolphin?
Last edited by Jerzylvania on Thu May 16, 2019 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Thu May 16, 2019 7:45 pm

Jerzylvania wrote:
Ranoria wrote:The only thing I pointed out with the Ravens was that the Browns should have tried to emulate the pass rush rotation they had. Smith, Suggs, Tim Williams, etc. I didn’t say anything about their offense. Or the Ravens in the playoffs. I was saying the Chiefs offense isn’t going to be as potent as it was a year ago, and that their (weaker) D isn’t good enough to make up for that slippage.

I think you mentioned the 23-17 playoff loss to the Chargers before in that light, but i could be mistaken. What i said is true tho. This will be some kind of interesting with the speed available. And time to concoct a full playbook.

As with the Chiefs, the defense. The Ravens will need to see ILB Kenny Young play as well and more than last year. In the middle of the field is the "?" Ravens will need more from Williams and Bowser. Ferguson must have some kind of decent impact. The back and front end of the D will be fine but can be great if the middle holds it's own.

BTW, how will things be with Mariota and the castaway Dolphin?

I don’t think anyone’s worried about Tannehill taking Mariota’s job. The issue is that Mariota has trouble staying on the field, and Tannehill is an excellent backup at least. My guess is that Mariota has a career year, pushes himself to the brink of MVP talk, maybe wins a playoff game, and then never stays healthy again.

I think Ferguson is going to be an animal for Bal. I wanted Tennessee or Cleveland to draft him+Metcalf bad, and we didn’t get either of them. I’m happy with Brown tho, I’ve been saying he’ll be a stud for years.
Last edited by Ranoria on Thu May 16, 2019 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lumi is my NS mom

Baltimore-Ravens
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 21, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Baltimore-Ravens » Fri May 17, 2019 9:16 am

Ravens sign former 2015 Bronco first round pick (23) LB Shane Ray. Denver declined to pick up his fifth year option.
World's Unofficial #1 Ravens Fan!

An NFL thread alternate nation of ???

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014

Postby Luminesa » Fri May 17, 2019 11:55 am

Jerzylvania wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:Patrick Peterson got busted for juicing. Out for 6 weeks.

PP fails pee-pee test? That might piss some Cardinal fans off. But frankly, they aren't going anywhere in 2019. ;)

^

He ain't missing anything, might as well go on vacation and chill.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Fri May 17, 2019 5:51 pm

Baltimore-Ravens wrote:Ravens sign former 2015 Bronco first round pick (23) LB Shane Ray. Denver declined to pick up his fifth year option.

And we’re back to their pass rush rotation. Ferguson, Bowser, Williams, and now Ray if I’m correct? And Michael Pierce+ the other DT who i should know the name of are no joke. And then you have Marshal Yanda, Ronnie Stanley, and Orlando Brown Jr, he was pretty good as a rookie wasn’t he?
Lumi is my NS mom

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014

Postby Luminesa » Sun May 19, 2019 5:00 pm

Ranoria wrote:
Baltimore-Ravens wrote:Ravens sign former 2015 Bronco first round pick (23) LB Shane Ray. Denver declined to pick up his fifth year option.

And we’re back to their pass rush rotation. Ferguson, Bowser, Williams, and now Ray if I’m correct? And Michael Pierce+ the other DT who i should know the name of are no joke. And then you have Marshal Yanda, Ronnie Stanley, and Orlando Brown Jr, he was pretty good as a rookie wasn’t he?

Yanda is like an eternity old, isn't he? I feel like I know that name.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Mon May 20, 2019 3:15 pm

Reuben Foster tore his ACL. Out for the season.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Mon May 20, 2019 6:15 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:Reuben Foster tore his ACL. Out for the season.

Redskins fans realizing the curse takes no days off.
Unit lost.
Anarchist

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Mon May 20, 2019 8:19 pm

Gerald McCoy's gone. It's only May Tampa, it's too early to go gun and liquor shopping.
Last edited by Impaled Nazarene on Mon May 20, 2019 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anarchist

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Tue May 21, 2019 11:54 am

So the Bucs drop McCoy and pick up Suh?

Weird.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Tue May 21, 2019 12:17 pm

Idzequitch wrote:So the Bucs drop McCoy and pick up Suh?

Weird.

Speaking of weird, some dude is bringing O.J's number out of storage.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General