NATION

PASSWORD

NFL Thread v2: The 2020 NFL Season!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Super Bowl Championship: Who’s the winner?

Kansas City Chiefs and Patty freaking Mahomes
56%
Seattle Seahawks, Let Russ Cool!
44%

Total votes : 9

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:21 pm

Sunday night's game will feature two pairs of brothers:

Center Maurkice Pouncey and LB TJ Watt of Pittsburgh face off with Center Mike Pouncey and FB Derek Watt of the Chargers.

Conceivably, TJ could tackle his brother in this game.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:33 pm

Idzequitch wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:She called him the n-word, got up in his face and started slapping him, then began following him around apparently. Yeah, he went too far but it seems he was prevoked.

The chiefs acted very quickly and didn't do enough to investigate it seems.

Provocation doesn't give him license to beat her up. The woman is not blameless by any means, but you just can't do what he did in response. It's illegal.

The Chiefs acted quickly because they already knew about the incident, had discussed it with Hunt, and what he told them didn't match what they saw. Employers don't like being lied to. Plus the video is pretty self-explanatory. I can't think of many circumstances that would have validated his actions.

That's true, but their is an organisation that's supposed to deal with issues of this kind, well...several actually. They're not the Kansas city chiefs.
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:36 pm

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:
Idzequitch wrote:Provocation doesn't give him license to beat her up. The woman is not blameless by any means, but you just can't do what he did in response. It's illegal.

The Chiefs acted quickly because they already knew about the incident, had discussed it with Hunt, and what he told them didn't match what they saw. Employers don't like being lied to. Plus the video is pretty self-explanatory. I can't think of many circumstances that would have validated his actions.

That's true, but their is an organisation that's supposed to deal with issues of this kind, well...several actually. They're not the Kansas city chiefs.

Sure, leave the legal process to the folks whose job it is. Meanwhile, if Hunt fails to live up to the personal conduct standards the Chiefs require of their employees, they're well within their rights to terminate him.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:00 pm

Idzequitch wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:That's true, but their is an organisation that's supposed to deal with issues of this kind, well...several actually. They're not the Kansas city chiefs.

Sure, leave the legal process to the folks whose job it is. Meanwhile, if Hunt fails to live up to the personal conduct standards the Chiefs require of their employees, they're well within their rights to terminate him.

It doesn't mean it isn't self-destructive idiocy though, gotta put the team above your moral code.
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:02 pm

Idzequitch wrote:Sure, leave the legal process to the folks whose job it is. Meanwhile, if Hunt fails to live up to the personal conduct standards the Chiefs require of their employees, they're well within their rights to terminate him.

It doesn't mean it isn't self-destructive idiocy though, gotta put the team above your moral code.

That's where we disagree. Success at all costs is not a good model. Especially since their reputation suffers when they continue to roster and start a man of questionable moral fiber.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

United Kingdom of Poland
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 08, 2012

Postby United Kingdom of Poland » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:12 pm

Just to point out as well, he's likely to be in a holding cell by the end of next week given the video. Why waste the roster spot?

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:48 pm

Idzequitch wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:It doesn't mean it isn't self-destructive idiocy though, gotta put the team above your moral code.

That's where we disagree. Success at all costs is not a good model. Especially since their reputation suffers when they continue to roster and start a man of questionable moral fiber.

I can only see it being a problem if other players refuse to sign with them because of it, or their's a large enough fan boycott.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:50 pm

United Kingdom of Poland wrote:Just to point out as well, he's likely to be in a holding cell by the end of next week given the video. Why waste the roster spot?

I heard the police weren't looking at charging him?

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 10, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Jerzylvania » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:55 pm

United Kingdom of Poland wrote:Just to point out as well, he's likely to be in a holding cell by the end of next week given the video. Why waste the roster spot?

Good point.
Also, most fans are actually sane and don't want to cheer for a wife beater or some other kind of felon.
Donald Trump has no clue as to what "insuring the domestic tranquility" means

The Baltimore Orioles are shocking the baseball world!

Jerzylvania is the NFL Picks League Champion in 2018 and in 2020 as puppet Traffic Signal and AGAIN in 2023 as puppet Joe Munchkin !!!

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:57 pm

Jerzylvania wrote:

Good point.
Also, most fans are actually sane and don't want to cheer for a wife beater or some other kind of felon.

If the Giants cut Barkley or Beckham for something of this kind I would not be happy in the slightest, let the police worry about the law and let the giants try and remember how to win football games.

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:25 pm

Jerzylvania wrote:
Good point.

If the Giants cut Barkley or Beckham for something of this kind I would not be happy in the slightest, let the police worry about the law and let the giants try and remember how to win football games.

Well, no. No one is happy about it. We all wish that all the best talent would be in the league. And probably it would be if these people could just follow the law.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:32 pm

Idzequitch wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:If the Giants cut Barkley or Beckham for something of this kind I would not be happy in the slightest, let the police worry about the law and let the giants try and remember how to win football games.

Well, no. No one is happy about it. We all wish that all the best talent would be in the league. And probably it would be if these people could just follow the law.

If he isn't charged for it he isn't charged for it.

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:35 pm

Idzequitch wrote:Well, no. No one is happy about it. We all wish that all the best talent would be in the league. And probably it would be if these people could just follow the law.

So they should just congratulate him for getting away with it? Especially in a case like this where there's no remotely rational way to deny he did it? No. That's not the world I want to live in. Thanks anyway.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:52 pm

Idzequitch wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:If he isn't charged for it he isn't charged for it.

So they should just congratulate him for getting away with it? Especially in a case like this where there's no remotely rational way to deny he did it? No. That's not the world I want to live in. Thanks anyway.

They should breathe a sigh of relief and warn him not to be such an idiot again.

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:55 pm

Idzequitch wrote:So they should just congratulate him for getting away with it? Especially in a case like this where there's no remotely rational way to deny he did it? No. That's not the world I want to live in. Thanks anyway.

They should breathe a sigh of relief and warn him not to be such an idiot again.

But they're not relieved. They're repulsed. As they should be. And with that, I think my thoughts on the matter are clear and I will end this discussion here.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 10, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Jerzylvania » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:30 pm

Jerzylvania wrote:
Good point.

IIRC you went through all of this nonsense the last time an NFL player got arrested and got the boot. Your argument is still no better than the last time.

Idzequitch wrote:Well, no. No one is happy about it. We all wish that all the best talent would be in the league. And probably it would be if these people could just follow the law.

They aren't the only people Kareem Hunt has to answer to in the matter. There is the Hunt family, no relation, which must consider PR. Most of the public doesn't want to cheer for a guy (making a huge salary playing football) which they saw beat a woman on video. And these people know their kids probably saw him beat a woman on Facebook or whatever. I don't blame the KC Chiefs here for making a business decision. Or the league, as they have rights too.
Last edited by Jerzylvania on Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donald Trump has no clue as to what "insuring the domestic tranquility" means

The Baltimore Orioles are shocking the baseball world!

Jerzylvania is the NFL Picks League Champion in 2018 and in 2020 as puppet Traffic Signal and AGAIN in 2023 as puppet Joe Munchkin !!!

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:36 pm

Jerzylvania wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:If the Giants cut Barkley or Beckham for something of this kind I would not be happy in the slightest, let the police worry about the law and let the giants try and remember how to win football games.

IIRC you went through all of this nonsense the last time an NFL player got arrested and got the boot. Your argument is still no better than the last time.

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:If he isn't charged for it he isn't charged for it.

They aren't the only people Kareem Hunt has to answer to in the matter. There is the Hunt family, no relation, which must consider PR. Most of the public doesn't want to cheer for a guy (making a huge salary playing football) which they saw beat a woman on video. And these people know their kids probably saw him beat a woman on Facebook or whatever. I don't blame the KC Chiefs here for making a business decision. Or the league, as they have rights too.

To be honest, this shows a stronger spine in the Chiefs' office than I believed any of the NFL front offices had. I hope other teams will make the same call if/when they face a similar situation. If players who beat people up don't stay on their teams, maybe players will think twice before beating someone up. Otherwise they can give up their giant salaries. Whichever they prefer, I suppose.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:46 pm

I've gotta stop thinking football teams from Georgia won't fuck up sure things...
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:49 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:I've gotta stop thinking football teams from Georgia won't fuck up sure things...

They learned from the best in the business :P

A shame though, honestly.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 29, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:14 pm

Idzequitch wrote:
Zurkerx wrote:
Storm the NFL Headquarters and do what's right!

In other news, one of the leagues best running backs, Kareem Hunt, maybe in deep trouble now since this Video appeared.

The really sad thing is that the league has been aware of this for months, but it takes a video surfacing to kick their sorry butts into gear. If it takes video to force the NFL to do something, that sets a terrible precedent, as many violent incidents are not recorded.

What, so they should cut and suspend him indefinitely based on a woman saying she got hit? It’s too easy to falsely accuse a guy of something and get away with it.
Fan of football, the Murican kind. But soccer is cool too! Just not really my thing. C(:^D/-<
I go by Ran. Unless, of course, you want to type out Ranoria. That's your decision.
Lumi is my NS mom
Champions: NSCF 20, 22, 27, 29, 30. World Bowl 42, 43, 46, WBC 57

Hosting: Co-Host WB 44, 47, Host WB 46, plus some NSCAA/NSCF conferences here and there

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:15 pm

Ranoria wrote:
Idzequitch wrote:The really sad thing is that the league has been aware of this for months, but it takes a video surfacing to kick their sorry butts into gear. If it takes video to force the NFL to do something, that sets a terrible precedent, as many violent incidents are not recorded.

What, so they should cut and suspend him indefinitely based on a woman saying she got hit? It’s too easy to falsely accuse a guy of something and get away with it.

No they shouldn't do anything at all if he wasn't charged for it.

Mystic Warriors
Minister

Founded: May 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Mystic Warriors » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:18 pm

Ranoria wrote:
Idzequitch wrote:The really sad thing is that the league has been aware of this for months, but it takes a video surfacing to kick their sorry butts into gear. If it takes video to force the NFL to do something, that sets a terrible precedent, as many violent incidents are not recorded.

Welcome to the metoo era.
Proud Trump Hater. Ban Fascism in all its forms. Disagreeing with a comment because you hate who said it is childish.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:27 pm

Mystic Warriors wrote:
Ranoria wrote:What, so they should cut and suspend him indefinitely based on a woman saying she got hit? It’s too easy to falsely accuse a guy of something and get away with it.

I think the metoo movement did a lot more harm than good, but that's for another thread.

Kohr
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2015
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:30 pm

Mystic Warriors wrote:

I think the metoo movement did a lot more harm than good, but that's for another thread.

I agree that's for another thread. I also think the Chiefs were absolutely in the right by getting rid of Hunt, but I'm not going to try to convince any of you of that.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:32 pm

Kohr wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:I think the metoo movement did a lot more harm than good, but that's for another thread.

I agree that's for another thread. I also think the Chiefs were absolutely in the right by getting rid of Hunt, but I'm not going to try to convince any of you of that.

Just hope that a team which appreciates his skill picks him up.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General