NATION

PASSWORD

Family trees- rooting out interesting ancestors

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Furbish Islands
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 11, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Furbish Islands » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:19 am

Does anyone know where I can search birth, death, and marriage certificates from the USSR?
Ðe United Provinces and Territories of Ðe Furbiſh Iſlands
Sic semper tyrannis!
Population: 283.503.325
GDP: $10,095 trillion
Currency: Furbish Guilder, ƒ1 = $1,9655
Monarch: Willem van Orange-Nassau
Stadtholder: Adjoa Iſamaan
Prime Minister: Arthur Trudeau

A social liberal Pacific island paradise, formerly a
Dutch, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish colony.
Computer science major and stereotypical nerd.
Russian, born in Israel, currently in
Massachusetts, the best state in the US.

This country is mostly based on my RL beliefs.
FBC News: Dover Man Charged With Assault With Deadly Weapon After Throwing Alligator Through Denny's Drive-Thru Window | Three New High Speed Rail Corridors Clear Environmental Review

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:19 am

An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:We seem to have a disproportionate number of people related to gangsters.

Which is not too surprising. We're all connected if you go back far enough.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Estonland
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 29, 2017
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Estonland » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:20 am

My maternal great-grand uncle was a militia commander in the Cilician Theatre of the Franco-Turkish War(1919-1921).
My paternal great-great-grandfather was a mufti who served in Edirne(a pretty large city at the time).
Thats about all of my interesting ancestors. Luckily both sides of my family have well-maintained family trees, some going back seven-eight generations.
Kingdom Of Estonland
In Character: Constitutional Monarchy, Nordic Liberal Conservatism, Germanic, Anti-Communist, Anti-Fascist. A Germanic constitutional monarchy in the year 1968 CE
Out Of Character: Law student, Lutheran, Turkish. Socially centrist, economically left-wing.
National Factbook
NS Stats are NOT used

WOMAN

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:21 am

Major-Tom wrote:The one interesting family I supposedly have some relation to is the Kennedy Family, but who knows if my grandpa is correct or just making some shit up on that one (lets hope it's true?)

The best thing to do is to research it yourself rather than leave it in limbo. My maternal Grandmother told me about a rumour that her side of the family was Jewish, that she had heard it from her parents, etc, etc. She even told me a specific Jewish name that she had been told about. During researching my complete family tree, I did some extensive research in that area. Going back about 8 generations, I found no Jewish names whatsoever, not a shred of evidence of any Jewish heritage. Research your Kennedy connection, even if it proves to be untrue it is still very satisfying to put the rumour to bed once and for all.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:21 am

Furbish Islands wrote:Does anyone know where I can search birth, death, and marriage certificates from the USSR?

Don't know if this helps
https://www.archives.com/genealogy/family-heritage-russian.html
Everything is intertwinkled

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:22 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:The one interesting family I supposedly have some relation to is the Kennedy Family, but who knows if my grandpa is correct or just making some shit up on that one (lets hope it's true?)

The best thing to do is to research it yourself rather than leave it in limbo. My maternal Grandmother told me about a rumour that her side of the family was Jewish, that she had heard it from her parents, etc, etc. She even told me a specific Jewish name that she had been told about. During researching my complete family tree, I did some extensive research in that area. Going back about 8 generations, I found no Jewish names whatsoever, not a shred of evidence of any Jewish heritage. Research your Kennedy connection, even if it proves to be untrue it is still very satisfying to put the rumour to bed once and for all.

Considering the relationships he was in... if it turns out to be true, it is likely scandalous.
Name: Ted
I have hot takes, I like roasting the fuck out of bad takes, and I don't take shit way too seriously.
I M P E R I A LR E P U B L I C

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:25 am

Furbish Islands wrote:Does anyone know where I can search birth, death, and marriage certificates from the USSR?

Usually whatever specific country of the former-USSR has its own records. There are some records for Russia here: https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Ru ... gy_Records
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:26 am

Holy Tedalonia wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:The best thing to do is to research it yourself rather than leave it in limbo. My maternal Grandmother told me about a rumour that her side of the family was Jewish, that she had heard it from her parents, etc, etc. She even told me a specific Jewish name that she had been told about. During researching my complete family tree, I did some extensive research in that area. Going back about 8 generations, I found no Jewish names whatsoever, not a shred of evidence of any Jewish heritage. Research your Kennedy connection, even if it proves to be untrue it is still very satisfying to put the rumour to bed once and for all.

Considering the relationships he was in... if it turns out to be true, it is likely scandalous.

I don't trust any family tree that doesn't have a bit of scandal in it. ;)

Wave on, wave on

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nordengrund » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:29 am

Both sides of my family can be traced back to Scotland. My dad’s side came from the Highlands, and from what I have been told about one of my ancestors, he sounded very stereotypically Scottish. Our surname supposedly comes from the name of the clan he was apart of. He left or was kicked out and his descendants settled in what would become West Virginia. Also, unlike most of the clan, he was Protestant instead of Catholic.

My mom’s side were Ulster Scots who lived in Northern Ireland, though they probably lived in Scotland at one point. They supposedly arrived as immigrants from England and settled in South Carolina. There’s also some French, German, Cherokee and possibly Jewish on her side as well. I don’t really know where the French came from, as they could have come directly from France, or maybe they are descendants of Normans living in England, but my French side is also pretty solidly Protestant, so they could have been Huguenots at one point, or originally Catholics who later converted to Protestantism.

Supposedly I have one ancestor that was half-Cherokee, and my great great grandma was supposedly “half-Jewish”, or at least one of her parents was Jewish.
Last edited by Nordengrund on Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 John 1:9

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:12 am

Both sides of my family are from non-English speaking lands and only came here in the 20th century, so I can't go back very far. I have done research for in-laws and friends and some of the results turned up were interesting. Another thing I did, since I've lived in several old houses, has been to research the people who lived there before me. City directories and census data are great for this.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:18 am

Farnhamia wrote:Both sides of my family are from non-English speaking lands and only came here in the 20th century, so I can't go back very far.

Yup. In countries that don't have particularly good record keeping in terms of census data, birth and death certificates, etc, then it can stop the growth of a family tree very quickly; especially if religious institutions in the country also don't keep records of marriages and the like.

Wave on, wave on

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:25 am

Farnhamia wrote:Both sides of my family are from non-English speaking lands and only came here in the 20th century, so I can't go back very far.

Yup. In countries that don't have particularly good record keeping in terms of census data, birth and death certificates, etc, then it can stop the growth of a family tree very quickly; especially if religious institutions in the country also don't keep records of marriages and the like.

I guess I'm lucky that some of my relatives on my dad's side kept good records. I can trace my dad's side back to at least the 19th century.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:34 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Yup. In countries that don't have particularly good record keeping in terms of census data, birth and death certificates, etc, then it can stop the growth of a family tree very quickly; especially if religious institutions in the country also don't keep records of marriages and the like.

I guess I'm lucky that some of my relatives on my dad's side kept good records. I can trace my dad's side back to at least the 19th century.

Because of the meticulous record keeping in the UK I have traced some of my family back to the 12th. It is a bit of a lottery in terms of some countries, and means that it is family documentation alone that offers any hints for tracing ancestry, but even those can only go back so far, as most families do not make a habit of keeping birth certificates etc of grandparents or further back.

Wave on, wave on

Shayla
Secretary

Founded: Jul 30, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Shayla » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:37 am

I supposedly am related to Mary Chilton, a person on the Mayflower.
Shayla

7.58 on the WDI (Democracy Index)

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:38 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:I guess I'm lucky that some of my relatives on my dad's side kept good records. I can trace my dad's side back to at least the 19th century.

Because of the meticulous record keeping in the UK I have traced some of my family back to the 12th. It is a bit of a lottery in terms of some countries, and means that it is family documentation alone that offers any hints for tracing ancestry, but even those can only go back so far, as most families do not make a habit of keeping birth certificates etc of grandparents or further back.

On one of the trees I did for a friend, I got to a point where a previous research said, "We have no documents to tell us if Person B is the son of Person A. The names are close and the place is the same but it would be a leap of faith to make that connection." Naturally, I made the leap and ended up in the 8th century among kings and dukes and Viking princesses.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:40 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:I guess I'm lucky that some of my relatives on my dad's side kept good records. I can trace my dad's side back to at least the 19th century.

Cool. I'm not too sure about the state of recordkeeping here in the States though.
Farnhamia wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Because of the meticulous record keeping in the UK I have traced some of my family back to the 12th. It is a bit of a lottery in terms of some countries, and means that it is family documentation alone that offers any hints for tracing ancestry, but even those can only go back so far, as most families do not make a habit of keeping birth certificates etc of grandparents or further back.

On one of the trees I did for a friend, I got to a point where a previous research said, "We have no documents to tell us if Person B is the son of Person A. The names are close and the place is the same but it would be a leap of faith to make that connection." Naturally, I made the leap and ended up in the 8th century among kings and dukes and Viking princesses.

Ok, that is awesome.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Stretchington
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 02, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Stretchington » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:50 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Because of the meticulous record keeping in the UK I have traced some of my family back to the 12th. It is a bit of a lottery in terms of some countries, and means that it is family documentation alone that offers any hints for tracing ancestry, but even those can only go back so far, as most families do not make a habit of keeping birth certificates etc of grandparents or further back.
Cool. I'm not too sure about the state of recordkeeping here in the States though.

For the most part I've had a pretty easy time finding records in the states going back to the 1840s-1850s, but any further back and it gets pretty hairy.
Call me Stretch as that is who I am and who I shall remain for my entire life.

Genealogists are like monkeys: always in the trees.

Genealogy - it's only an obsession after all!

Genealogists don't die, they just lose their census.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:10 am

Stretchington wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:Cool. I'm not too sure about the state of recordkeeping here in the States though.

For the most part I've had a pretty easy time finding records in the states going back to the 1840s-1850s, but any further back and it gets pretty hairy.

That would make sense. A lot of records were probably lost one way or another.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:10 am

My grandparents worked on the Manhattan Project.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:12 am

USS Monitor wrote:My grandparents worked on the Manhattan Project.

Tom Lehrer's joke about that was, everyone who worked there was a spy.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:14 am

USS Monitor wrote:My grandparents worked on the Manhattan Project.

That is so cool. You have relatives who were a part of history.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Stretchington
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 02, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Stretchington » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:18 am

I believe one of the first direct line ancestors in the US in my tree albeit on one of my mother's lines would be #36 on this map.
http://www.ctgenweb.org/county/cofairfi ... ttlers.htm
Call me Stretch as that is who I am and who I shall remain for my entire life.

Genealogists are like monkeys: always in the trees.

Genealogy - it's only an obsession after all!

Genealogists don't die, they just lose their census.

AquilaJordyn
Envoy

Founded: Nov 06, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

Postby AquilaJordyn » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:19 am

I've done quite a bit of research on my family myself. As a history nerd, I have to admit I got really excited by it all.

My mother's friend is a historian with the same last name as me who did research on both of our families. We've always wanted to know if we're related, and while she didn't in her research find if we were related, she did find out we're related to a man named: Nicholas Jacques Pelletier. He's a great great something Uncle of mine who was essentially the test dummy for the French Guillotine, and people shouted at his execution: "Bring back the gallows." they booed the man's execution.

My Uncle made a family tree on Ancestry and found my Grandmother on my Father's side is related to all of the First-Reich Emperors. Charlemagne, Louis II the Pious, The Pepin line. We're also related to William the Conqueror, a few dukes & counts of Burgundy, three roman senators of Narbonne ( In Southern France) and some Gallic chieftains of Narbonne. My dad's paternal side of the family hails originally from Normandy France, but they came there from Scandinavia, as the Norman vikings who settled Normandy, the "north men", were from Scandinavia, while his mothers side lived in Southern France since pre-roman times, and eventually married into the royal family at some point or another. (If I recall, they married a Pepin). I'm also through my dad's mom related to four Saints, namely Charlemagne's wife, Clothild, Charlemagne himself, Saint Beggas of Austrasia, and Saint Arnulf of Metz, who is the patron saint of brewers, something I think is pretty funny. I have this picture of my Great grandfather on my Mother's Father's side who was from Bavaria dressed in lederhosen, with his arm around his brother's shoulder's on a keg. It's a pretty meme'able picture honestly. He was also of Eastern European Jewish descent, which, as it turns out, I'm more Jewish than I am actual German.

I myself took an ancestry DNA test, and apparently among other things, my maternal grandfather was Sicilian without knowing it, and maybe also a little Greek. On top of that, he was Hungarian and Finnish. My maternal grandmother was Irish, which we knew, but I neglected to tell her according to the test, I think we're about as English as we are Irish. Our family moved from England to Ireland before coming to America; we had originally lived in Ireland, but 'polluted' the blood pool a bit while in England. Which was a good idea on my part because her family lived in an area that rebelled against English rule. My Fathers mother was on top of being of Occitain blood, a little Castilian (Central Spanish) and I think it's ode to her that my test suggest I might have some middle eastern and north African descent in me. It's not much, less than 3% combined between both of those regions. Through my paternal grandfather was well, who would've guessed, French, but also Flemish, Scandinavian, and I think perhaps English, just considering the historical Norman invasion of England, that might explain a bit. See, I was raised to think I was German, French, Irish, and Quebecoise, so I don't know how to account for the fact that 61% of my genetics match up with the British Isles. My Irish grandmother was only supposed to be half Irish. I'm not sure exactly, but my family is either more Flemish than we think or is either more English than we think. That or we're Breton, I'm not sure. One of the most unsatisfying things about these DNA testing sites is you don't get precise results, or rather can't. Because if you're from Northern France or Holland, then you're in the same gene pool as people from England.
Last edited by AquilaJordyn on Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Overview Factbook|Emperor Vulcan saō Ðardanexia IX|Embassy Programme|Vis En Frites Seafood Restaurant Chain
|Intersectional Feminist|Environmentalist|White For Black Lives|Social Democrat|
Nationstates Stats & Policies are not Canon. The nation is called Syagros. Call the people Syagrots or Trojans.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:20 am

I had limited luck tracing my family tree. My English side did own some land in the 1790s, but pissed it away by the 1830s. I have a Welsh side that I couldn't trace further than running into the Welsh version of "John Smith" (there were at least 2000 possible births for the two possible years of birth I had from the marriage and death certificate respectively, and "born in Wales" didn't help -- I only had limited free access to the ancestry website).

I apparently have Irish heritage, too (according to family legend), but I didn't manage to trace that (there are a few illegitimate births, and a lot of children that might not be their fathers' biological children in my family tree; and a few marriages where the woman had a forename but no surname listed once we get back to 1840 or so -- which makes searching harder).

All in all, the ancestry I found is very run-of-the-mill.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:22 am

I'll have to. Usually gramps is the one with all the family tree charts (it's been his fascination ever since he retired). I'd have to ask him to see his research.

If I did have that relation, it would explain my bad luck. :p

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General