NATION

PASSWORD

The war begins..

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which side are you on?

For the cats!
29%
For the humans!
18%
I'll lay low until I see how this pans out..
11%
Cats need to be controlled
16%
This is just nanny state anti-catist regulation
10%
I would put a Hasselhoff option but I did on the last and not a peep of thanks from Ethel Mermania so screw that..
4%
Poll.. let us decide all with polls!
9%
Other
3%

Total votes : 160

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:52 am

Krasny-Volny wrote:The reasons they gave for this could just as easily be applied to dogs.

A comic explaining the muderlust of the common housecat.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:26 pm

Durzan wrote:Actually, cats are vital to the survival of our species as a whole.

um.
how?
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Dogmeat
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:48 pm

The first casualty:
Immortal God Dog
Hey boy, know any tricks?
天狗

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:22 pm

Dogmeat wrote:The first casualty:

Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

-Manchukuo
Attaché

Founded: Aug 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby -Manchukuo » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:25 pm

Dogmeat wrote:The first casualty:

No, the first casualty is NSG, we lost our dignity, when we replied to this thread
Last edited by -Manchukuo on Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----------------------------------------------------------
The New California Republic wrote:OOC: In the same way that an empty vacuum container is full. ;)
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:So weird this game, in that it has people complaining that Nuclear Armageddon HASN'T happened. :)
Peptobismo wrote:banned for breathing
SNNNM:Dawetid wants news here.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:33 pm

Krasny-Volny wrote:The reasons they gave for this could just as easily be applied to dogs.

Dogs aren't nearly as skilled at ecological destruction as cats are. They can certainly do damage, but cats are far better at it.

Dogmeat
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:35 pm

Albrenia wrote:

Dogs aren't nearly as skilled at ecological destruction as cats are. They can certainly do damage, but cats are far better at it.

Challenge accepted.
Immortal God Dog
天狗

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:37 pm

Dogmeat wrote:
Albrenia wrote:

Challenge accepted.

Biting the leg of a super mutant isn't classed as "ecological destruction". ;)
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:38 pm

Dogmeat wrote:
Albrenia wrote:

Challenge accepted.

Bring me back some bloatfly meat, please. :p

Dogmeat
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:49 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Dogmeat wrote:Challenge accepted.

Biting the leg of a super mutant isn't classed as "ecological destruction". ;)

Hey, you don't see any giant ants around the commonwealth anymore, do you?
Immortal God Dog
天狗

Unnamedland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Unnamedland » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:51 pm

... ... ... Welp.

If a nuclear war ever breaks out New Zealand is no longer going to be the only non-dead, non-dystopian place left.
Join Driselbia!

* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania

D I R E C T R U L E F R O M T I B B L E S

RIP Agentugly/Fred Flea, unjustly deleted
Founder, Defender, Flea

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:00 pm

Dogmeat wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Biting the leg of a super mutant isn't classed as "ecological destruction". ;)

Hey, you don't see any giant ants around the commonwealth anymore, do you?

Probably due to developer oversight rather than act of dog. :lol2:

Wave on, wave on

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:36 pm

Forsher wrote:Flip flopper.

LMAO is that all you've got? No wonder I hardly respond to any of your posts anymore.

Dogs, shockingly, aren't allowed off properties.

Since when?

They're also better domesticated and far less tempted by random pray animals.

Tell that to all the dead kiwi that were killed by dogs because some asshole took said dog into a place where it wasn't allowed. Turns out dogs are just as capable of killing native animals, they just don't do it as often as cats do.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Dogmeat
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:38 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:

LMAO is that all you've got? No wonder I hardly respond to any of your posts anymore.

Since when?

Tell that to all the dead kiwi that were killed by dogs because some asshole took said dog into a place where it wasn't allowed. Turns out dogs are just as capable of killing native animals, they just don't do it as often as cats do.

Jesus. How drunk was I last night?
Immortal God Dog
天狗

Myrensis
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Myrensis » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:51 pm

Eh, it's not really unreasonable. New Zealand has no native land based predators, meaning none of the wildlife on the islands is at all adapted to dealing with them. So you take cats, murderous little fuckers to begin with, and put them in an environment where nothing knows how to react to them, and you get a small fuzzy/feathered holocaust.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011

Postby Bombadil » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:56 pm

Myrensis wrote:Eh, it's not really unreasonable. New Zealand has no native land based predators, meaning none of the wildlife on the islands is at all adapted to dealing with them. So you take cats, murderous little fuckers to begin with, and put them in an environment where nothing knows how to react to them, and you get a small fuzzy/feathered holocaust.

Well quite, especially when you have an island known for its birds that cannot even fly.. I mean what is the point of being a bird..
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Dogmeat
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:05 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Myrensis wrote:Eh, it's not really unreasonable. New Zealand has no native land based predators, meaning none of the wildlife on the islands is at all adapted to dealing with them. So you take cats, murderous little fuckers to begin with, and put them in an environment where nothing knows how to react to them, and you get a small fuzzy/feathered holocaust.

Well quite, especially when you have an island known for its birds that cannot even fly.. I mean what is the point of being a bird..

My favorite explanation of the Kakapo comes from Douglas Adams.
Immortal God Dog
天狗

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:08 pm

Dogmeat wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

My favorite explanation of the Kakapo comes from Douglas Adams.

Right.. similar to Ricky Gervais' observation on Pandas.. 'we're doing all we can to help protect them but.. well they're not meeting us halfway are they?'.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:31 pm

Bombadil wrote:Well quite, especially when you have an island known for its birds that cannot even fly.. I mean what is the point of being a bird..

These birds have evolved to fill niches that mammals did in most other places.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:10 am

Costa Fierro wrote:

Sensitive much.

Or perhaps it's paranoia since that is so obviously not really trying to talk to you in any way whatsoever... which is why it's weird we get these comments from a totally different post appended thusly...

Since when?

Try it. You'll get a notice from animal control before you can blink.

Oh? You're trying to pretend we're talking about taking a dog for a walk?

Quote Mining: it's his thing.

And they're much less deadly in a garden because, shockingly, dogs are not stealth predators. They're also better domesticated and far less tempted by random pray animals.

You don't reply to me because I find you a complete bore and hence don't make comments for you to reply to.

Also, I have barely been posting on NSG for months. Honesty. Not Costa's Thing.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:27 am

Forsher wrote:Sensitive much.

Do learn to get over yourself. And quit refraining from insinuating that people are liars.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:04 am

Retract those claws kitties..

In doing a modicum of research related to one of these posts I saw that ferrets and others are as much responsible for eating the eggs of these birds as cats are for killing them. We should train these cats as much as possible to eat rodents not birds.

十年

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:58 am

Costa Fierro wrote:
Forsher wrote:Sensitive much.

Do learn to get over yourself. And quit refraining from insinuating that people are liars.

You are a liar. I have seen you at it many times. But I don't see its relevance here at all. Quote mining is incredibly dishonest and reprehensible but it's not lying.

If you wish to actually respond to my points, please by all means do so. But this constant need to have the last word is... bizarre. You have flip flopped since the Gareth Morgan days where you were... quite vicious in your opposition to anti-cat proposals (including on a personal level, but of course)... and it should be understood as good natured ribbing to remark upon that. It did not call for self-serious comment. And how you chose to respond to ideas which are implicitly made for comment was... dishonestly done. That's on you, mate.

So, yes, sensitive much.

Bombadil wrote:In doing a modicum of research related to one of these posts I saw that ferrets and others are as much responsible for eating the eggs of these birds as cats are for killing them. We should train these cats as much as possible to eat rodents not birds.

Cats are not going to be trained any more than they already are. And, yes, everything is evil. Cats just happen be protected from their misdeeds in ways nothing else is. In misrepresenting what he was responding to Costa has pointed out how dogs are subject to much tighter controls as a result of how they are a problem. They are leashed and sometimes (iirc) banned from areas. Why? Because if you let a dog loose they can do some serious damage. And they have done. But cats are always loose and always doing damage... and every attempt to control cats and cat owners is met with.... outrage, claims of victimisation and, as we've seen in this thread, attempts to laugh it away.

It's been said that every child in NZ grows up hearing two stories. Firstly, of the Takahe discovered not extinct after all. Secondly, of the Stephens Island Wren, rendered extinct at the hands of a single cat (although, I believe, it's now thought to be a group of cats).
Last edited by Forsher on Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:25 am

Bombadil wrote:In doing a modicum of research related to one of these posts I saw that ferrets and others are as much responsible for eating the eggs of these birds as cats are for killing them. We should train these cats as much as possible to eat rodents not birds.

You can't really train cats to act against their instincts. While it's a nice idea, we're forgetting two things. One, we're relying on the general public to do the training and the general public is notoriously unreliable for that sort of thing (see how people train their dogs) and two, even if we were to achieve this, we'd still have issues with feral cats. And given that your average male cat can father over 2,000 offspring in his lifetime, that's a lot of potential offspring munching their way through the native bird populations.

In addition, the Department of Conservation (which is the government agency that's responsible for managing the government's conservation estate) recognises that while cats do pose a significant threat to bird life, mustelids and rodents pose a far greater threat too. Hence why DOC has been intensely trapping and aerially applying poisons such as sodium fluoracetate for over four decades.

Forsher wrote:You are a liar.

Look, you could have said that you weren't going to be civil about this and I needn't have wasted my time.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:43 am

Costa Fierro wrote:
Forsher wrote:You are a liar.

Look, you could have said that you weren't going to be civil about this and I needn't have wasted my time.

Firstly, calling you a liar is civil. There uncivil ways of accomplishing the same thing. Secondly, you're the one making this a Thing. As I just said, "flip flopper" is a throwaway remark which generated a completely disproportionate response.

This is exactly what you wanted from this, which is why every little word except the ones you want disappears from what you quote... as you know, misrepresentation works.

And this is why talking to you is a complete bore.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General