NATION

PASSWORD

The war begins..

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Which side are you on?

For the cats!
29%
For the humans!
18%
I'll lay low until I see how this pans out..
11%
Cats need to be controlled
16%
This is just nanny state anti-catist regulation
10%
I would put a Hasselhoff option but I did on the last and not a peep of thanks from Ethel Mermania so screw that..
4%
Poll.. let us decide all with polls!
9%
Other
3%

Total votes : 160

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

The war begins..

Postby Bombadil » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:13 pm

We thought Trump would bring about the end of the world but no, it's a regional council in New Zealand which has..

..proposed banning all domestic cats in an attempt to protect native animals.

The South Island council’s new “pest plan” calls for all domestic cats in the Omaui region to be neutered, microchipped and registered. Then, when a cat dies, residents would not be permitted to have another.

“We’re not cat haters,” John Collins, of the Omaui Landcare Trust told Newshub. “But we’d like to see responsible pet ownership and this really isn’t the place for cats.”

Cats are responsible for killing a lot of wildlife, it's not even for food a lot of the time, they just like hunting and killing things, they're cats. Here's a relatively amusing but actually somewhat shocking graphic cartoon on it all.. http://theoatmeal.com/comics/cats_actually_kill

Of course cats will retaliate to say if any mammal is responsible for the wholesale destruction of animals it's humans. And they will retaliate, not through op eds in the media, they know that doesn't work, they will simply murder us all. If cats killed as many humans as they do birds they would wipe out 41% of the population in a single year.

Technically this is whether we should actually curb the effect of cats on wildlife but I only ask that in the hope cats don't bother reading the next sentence.

How will we win the war!
Last edited by Bombadil on Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Dogmeat
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:27 pm

Just as planned.
Immortal God Dog
Hey boy, know any tricks?
天狗

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:30 pm

On one hand, cats are cute and funny and some of them make awesome pets. On the other, they are ecological disasters which kill for the fun of watching life die...

So... yeah... I guess I'm ok with this... maybe?

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:30 pm

Cats rule. All is as it should be.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Zanera
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Zanera » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:30 pm

Bombadil wrote:We thought Trump would bring about the end of the world but no, it's a regional council in New Zealand which has..

..proposed banning all domestic cats in an attempt to protect native animals.

The South Island council’s new “pest plan” calls for all domestic cats in the Omaui region to be neutered, microchipped and registered. Then, when a cat dies, residents would not be permitted to have another.

“We’re not cat haters,” John Collins, of the Omaui Landcare Trust told Newshub. “But we’d like to see responsible pet ownership and this really isn’t the place for cats.”

Cats are responsible for killing a lot of wildlife, it's not even for food a lot of the time, they just like hunting and killing things, they're cats. Here's a relatively amusing but actually somewhat shocking graphic cartoon on it all.. http://theoatmeal.com/comics/cats_actually_kill

Of course cats will retaliate to say if any mammal is responsible for the wholesale destruction of animals it's humans. And they will retaliate, not through op eds in the media, they know that doesn't work, they will simply murder us all. If cats killed as many humans as they do birds they would wipe out 41% of the population in a single year.

Technically this is whether we should actually curb the effect of cats on wildlife but I only ask that in the hope cats don't bother reading the next sentence.

How will we win the war!

The Egyptians were wrong.
Cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war!

The Kruegh
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 16, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kruegh » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:32 pm

Just tell them to keep their cats indoors, ffs. That way wildlife doesn't keep getting slaughtered and the people can keep their cats.
Kruegh-themed playlist
Mainly inspired by the Cravers (Endless Space) and the Hierarchy (Universe at War). Of course, this nation also uses some original ideas.
6.66 on this power scale (9-1-8 for each category, respectively)

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:33 pm

The Kruegh wrote:Just tell them to keep their cats indoors, ffs. That way wildlife doesn't keep getting slaughtered and the people can keep their cats.

It'd be cool if it was that easy. Feral (or crafty) cats and lazy owners are a thing though.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:34 pm

Honestly speaking, cats should be spayed/neutered as a matter of course. Cats can go in heat twice a year, and have litters of five-six kittens at a time. To prevent overpopulation, sterilizing is the best thing to do for the cats.
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:49 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Honestly speaking, cats should be spayed/neutered as a matter of course. Cats can go in heat twice a year, and have litters of five-six kittens at a time. To prevent overpopulation, sterilizing is the best thing to do for the cats.

And spaying/neutering has health benefits too, as well as preventing cats being a cute (but wildlife-slaughtering) little population bomb.

No need for a complete cat ban, though. Just mandating of sensible pet ownership (or cat-worship, to be more accurate with the cat's view).

I once read a quote (heavily paraphrased): "every room is improved by a sleeping cat".
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:52 pm

The Free Joy State wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Honestly speaking, cats should be spayed/neutered as a matter of course. Cats can go in heat twice a year, and have litters of five-six kittens at a time. To prevent overpopulation, sterilizing is the best thing to do for the cats.

And spaying/neutering has health benefits too, as well as preventing cats being a cute (but wildlife-slaughtering) little population bomb.

No need for a complete cat ban, though. Just mandating of sensible pet ownership (or cat-worship, to be more accurate).

I once read a quote (heavily paraphrased): "every room is improved by a sleeping cat".

I don't support a complete ban either. Unless feline presence in the island is proven to be harmful in excess of the local fauna.
Slava Ukraini

Pontous
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Pontous » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:27 pm

A complete cat ban seems completely reasonable and desirable. Dogs are clearly the superior pet species, you know, because they're loyal, practical (most of the time) and affectionate pets. Cats sometimes fulfill the criteria, but definitely not on a level that cancels out the terrible effect they have on local fauna.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:34 pm

On one hand, I can totally understand why. If unchecked, cats breed really quickly and it'll be trouble for the wildlife, and for us. We have to keep feeding these strays or they will just look at wildlife to kill.

With that said,

What the hell is this? So what, you can one cat in your life and that's it? That's not right... If anything, maybe capture the stray cats and put them up for adoption. They'll be in a safe environment being taken care of, have food that is NOT wild animals, and curbing the population.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:43 pm

Eh????

What about dogs?

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:48 pm

You laughed at Gareth Morgan.....now he laughs at your dead cats. TOP win every tiem

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:49 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:Eh????

What about dogs?

good callback

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:51 pm

Valentine Z wrote:On one hand, I can totally understand why. If unchecked, cats breed really quickly and it'll be trouble for the wildlife, and for us. We have to keep feeding these strays or they will just look at wildlife to kill.

With that said,

What the hell is this? So what, you can one cat in your life and that's it? That's not right... If anything, maybe capture the stray cats and put them up for adoption. They'll be in a safe environment being taken care of, have food that is NOT wild animals, and curbing the population.

NZ's One Cat Policy.
Slava Ukraini

The Holy Therns
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 09, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Holy Therns » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:10 am

What about dogs?

Not a comparable danger to native animals.
Platitude with attitude
Your new favorite.
MTF transperson. She/her. Lives in Sweden.
Also, N A N A ! ! !
Gallade wrote:Love, cake, wine and banter. No greater meaning to life (〜^∇^)〜

Ethel mermania wrote:to therns is to transend the pettiness of the field of play into the field of dreams.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011

Postby Bombadil » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:12 am

The Holy Therns wrote:

What about dogs?

Not a comparable danger to native animals.

..or humanity as a whole, the one thing we can probably count on is dogs being on our side.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:03 am

What about dogs?

Dogs that are pets, generally speaking, are not allowed to roam unsupervised for days or weeks at a time, hunting any small wildlife that crosses their path...
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:04 am

A cat ban? Well, I'm not moving to New Zealand now. I mean, I wasn't going to, anyways, because that would be expensive, and I don't have any real reason to go there. But now I'm definitely not doing that.
The Second Cataclysm: My New RP

Roll Them Bones: A Guide to Dice RPs

My mommy says I'm special.
Add 37 to my post count for my previous nation.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009

Postby Esternial » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:06 am

EGAD!

Just impose a minimal BMI on cats to make sure they can't be arsed to go out and hunt.

I for one would be fascinated to find out the results of the research projects trying to determine at what weight cats just stop bothering.
Last edited by Esternial on Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:07 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Valentine Z wrote:On one hand, I can totally understand why. If unchecked, cats breed really quickly and it'll be trouble for the wildlife, and for us. We have to keep feeding these strays or they will just look at wildlife to kill.

With that said,

NZ's One Cat Policy.

Ah well, TIL, really. But seriously, maybe they should just keep the cat populations in check, AND let the owners adopt them. Make a law or something that they can't go out and kill animals willy nilly.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Right wing humour squad
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Right wing humour squad » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:19 am

Advance nanotechnology to create replacements for the failing ecosystem, then we can all bow down to our furry feline overlords.
Currently adulting.
Reheated Donuts.
Minarchist and libertarian extremist.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:24 am

Valentine Z wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
NZ's One Cat Policy.

Ah well, TIL, really. But seriously, maybe they should just keep the cat populations in check, AND let the owners adopt them. Make a law or something that they can't go out and kill animals willy nilly.

Cats are known lawbreakers though. :p

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:29 am

Albrenia wrote:
Valentine Z wrote:

Cats are known lawbreakers though. :p

That is true. I used to have a cat that would lie on his tax returns.
The Second Cataclysm: My New RP

Roll Them Bones: A Guide to Dice RPs

My mommy says I'm special.
Add 37 to my post count for my previous nation.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General