NATION

PASSWORD

MAGAThread XIV: All persons born or naturalized ...

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:09 pm

Proctopeo wrote:
New haven america wrote:If you stepped out of your US-centric bubble every once in a while you'd learn that that is far from the truth.

[x] doubt

Your guy's meme game sucks, get that weak ass shit out of here.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:09 pm

Sovaal wrote:
Valrifell wrote:
Know in the strictest sense of the word, there still exists a basic level of care for fellow man.
Yes. Nobody here is denying that. However as many can agree the internet detaches eachother from their humanity to the perception of the individual.

I'm confused what was the base topic of this conversation about?
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Proctopeo
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Proctopeo » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:11 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Proctopeo wrote:This does not, however, mean that we've in any way adapted to actually know beyond 150 or so people. We only began to actually progress to civilization a scant 10,000 years ago. Evolution does not work that fast, at least in organisms that reproduce so slowly as humans.

Know in the strictest sense of the word, there still exists a basic level of care for fellow man.

Basic, yes. However, people online you almost never meet face to face, so the level of care for a person you see in real life is higher than the level of care for a person you only ever met online.

New haven america wrote:
Proctopeo wrote:[x] doubt

Your guy's meme game sucks, get that weak ass shit out of here.

You already started with a shit meme, I was trying to improve the situation.
Arachno-anarchism || NO GODS NO MASTERS || Free NSG Odreria

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:12 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Sovaal wrote: Yes. Nobody here is denying that. However as many can agree the internet detaches eachother from their humanity to the perception of the individual.

Well, we were discussing with Tel if he can feel empathy towards people who aren't his immediate family or feel happy that people were actually helped by the ACA when he wasn't, he said yes, there was doubt, here we are now.
Last edited by New haven america on Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:12 pm

Sovaal wrote:
Valrifell wrote:
Yes. Nobody here is denying that. However as many can agree the internet detaches eachother from their humanity to the perception of the individual.

It's not a detachment from humanity, it's a degree of care. We all have a basic level of care for fellow humans, this isntrue, but as wars, and shootings and all kinds of other stuff show us, there are various layers to this care, each more intense than the last. We care about our families, and such more than we care about our neighbors, who we care more about than random strangers in town, who we would care more about than somebody we read about in another place in thevery world.

The simple fact is I would care far more about my child being harmed than the same harm befalling someone I have never heard of off in China.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:12 pm

New haven america wrote:
Sovaal wrote:1.You realize that the human brain hasn't dramatically evolved n the odd ten thousand years we stopped, huh?

2. Figured out what? 3.That evolutionary that we're still the same as we where some 80 thousand years ago when the first behaviorally modern humans evolved? 4.It appears you havent. 5.As for a single payer health system or not I really dont give a fuck, anything would proabbly be better than whats around now.

1. … Yeah, it kinda has, and will always do so.

I'm well aware of the modern trends towards smaller overall brain sizes in humans. Doesn't mean our progress hasn't outpaced natural evolution.
2. That you can be sympathetic and empathetic towards people who aren't part of your immediate in-group

And where did I ever deny that?
3. Except we're not, we've apparently moved from the Tribal stage of empathy to the Societal stage of empathy, I say apparently because the US shows otherwise

I can sympathize with people, it's just easier when they're presented to me and not just a set of words on the internet that can be true or false and I'd be none the wiser.
4. That's cute, and not an argument

Good thing I didn't present it as one now then, huh?
5. That's true, but others would disagree
Good for them. I'm not them, and they're not me.
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:14 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Sovaal wrote: Yes. Nobody here is denying that. However as many can agree the internet detaches eachother from their humanity to the perception of the individual.

That human perception isn't all knowing and can't comprehend the suffering that all 7 billion of us go through as individuals at one time.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

Sick Jumps
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Sick Jumps » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:15 pm

Oil exporting People wrote:
Sick Jumps wrote:Friedman is a bit of a meme. He's predicted some fairly wacky off-base stuff, read "the Coming War With Japan". I like Stratfor, though.

Japan has more destroyers than the Anglo-French combined, same for their GDP and their GDP PPP per capita also rivals the Anglo-French. They've begun projecting power elsewhere, openly admit the Helicopter Destroyers are backdoor carriers now, leaks say they're looking at missile tech and have been discussing acquiring nuclear weapons. They've also been making signals they'll follow their own policy in regards to foreign affairs. In the long run, friction over control of the Pacific is likely once China fades away.

Trump also doesn't read books, so I don't know how much of an influence Friedman could have had on him.

Source?

He predicted a military conflict with Japan within 20 years in that book (released in 1991). That hasn't happened. Their interests haven't even diverged substantially. I'm not saying that's not possible, but he did make a mistake. Friedman's big sin is extrapolating his views on contemporary trends into long term predictions. Everyone kind of does that though.

On Trump not being a big reader:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html
Last edited by Sick Jumps on Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:15 pm

Sovaal wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

That human perception isn't all knowing and can't comprehend the suffering that all 7 billion of us go through as individuals at one time.

You don't have to comprehend all of it, and indeed you can never truly comprehend the suffering of one person. All you need to do is grasp the basic idea, which isn't hard at all.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:15 pm

Proctopeo wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

Basic, yes. However, people online you almost never meet face to face, so the level of care for a person you see in real life is higher than the level of care for a person you only ever met online.

New haven america wrote:Your guy's meme game sucks, get that weak ass shit out of here.

No I didn't, I tried having a conversation.

I say it again, your meme game sucks, get better and take that dank shit outa here.
Last edited by New haven america on Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Proctopeo
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Proctopeo » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:16 pm

New haven america wrote:
Proctopeo wrote:Basic, yes. However, people online you almost never meet face to face, so the level of care for a person you see in real life is higher than the level of care for a person you only ever met online.

No I didn't, I tried having a conversation.

I say it again, your meme game sucks, get better and take that dank shit outa here.

Your convo was a meme :^)
Arachno-anarchism || NO GODS NO MASTERS || Free NSG Odreria

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:18 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Sovaal wrote:That human perception isn't all knowing and can't comprehend the suffering that all 7 billion of us go through as individuals at one time.

You don't have to comprehend all of it, and indeed you can never truly comprehend the suffering of one person. All you need to do is grasp the basic idea, which isn't hard at all.
NEver did I said it wasnt. My main point I guess is that someone can empatise best when they are directly confornted with soemthing, not when it's some sitution far removed personally from them. If that makes me a heartless monster or soemthing so be it.

Winston Churchill, 1947.

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:19 pm

Telconi wrote:
New haven america wrote:1. The problem is that your part of a bigger group that actively acts out masochistic tendencies, and will be fucked over by Trump. Yet you continue holding onto the delusion that him and the Republicans are going to help you when that's been historically proven to not be the case as recently as 2007.
2. No they won't, they're just going to suck, just like almost every other Republican President's decision since Nixon (Excluding HW, he was mostly ok).

1)What delusion is this then?

2)That was sarcasm

Also, please dont edit my post, you're perfectly welcome to drop the pretense of caring about me, but to edit it out of a post is wrong.

1. Can you not read?
2. That's an excuse I ain't buyin

I'm not doing anything malacious, so no. Also, I do care about you, you're scared of the world and change and we don't want you to be scared anymore.
Last edited by New haven america on Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Oil exporting People
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Oil exporting People » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:21 pm

Sick Jumps wrote:He predicted a military conflict with Japan within 20 years in that book (released in 1991). That hasn't happened. Their interests haven't even diverged substantially. I'm not saying that's not possible, but he did make a mistake. Friedman's big sin is extrapolating his views on contemporary trends into long term predictions. Everyone kind of does that though.

Indeed and I meant to put that his timing was off; in fairness, the Japanese debt bubble was unexpected, as was the development of China. Long term though I find his thinking has merit.

Big difference between being illiterate and not reading much.
National Syndicalist
“The blood of the heroes is closer to God than the ink of the philosophers and the prayers of the faithful.” - Julius Evola
Endorsing Greg "Grab 'em by the Neck" Gianforte and Brett "I Like Beer" Kavanaugh for 2020

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:23 pm

Sovaal wrote:
New haven america wrote:1. … Yeah, it kinda has, and will always do so.

1. I'm well aware of the modern trends towards smaller overall brain sizes in humans. Doesn't mean our progress hasn't outpaced natural evolution.
2. That you can be sympathetic and empathetic towards people who aren't part of your immediate in-group

3. Except we're not, we've apparently moved from the Tribal stage of empathy to the Societal stage of empathy, I say apparently because the US shows otherwise

3. I can sympathize with people, it's just easier when they're presented to me and not just a set of words on the internet that can be true or false and I'd be none the wiser.
4. That's cute, and not an argument

4.Good thing I didn't present it as one now then, huh?
5. That's true, but others would disagree
5. Good for them. I'm not them, and they're not me.

1. Doesn't mean we shouldn't try to be better than where we were 80,000 years ago.
2. You yourself literally just spent the last page or so trying to defend the fact that human empathy can only extend to ~150 or so people, no more. Go reread your posts.
3. Then that's your problem. I'd recommend trying to fix that.
4. Except it was.
5. No, not good for them, because they're the ones screwing others over.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:28 pm

New haven america wrote:
Sovaal wrote:1. I'm well aware of the modern trends towards smaller overall brain sizes in humans. Doesn't mean our progress hasn't outpaced natural evolution.

3. I can sympathize with people, it's just easier when they're presented to me and not just a set of words on the internet that can be true or false and I'd be none the wiser.

4.Good thing I didn't present it as one now then, huh?
5. Good for them. I'm not them, and they're not me.

1. Doesn't mean we shouldn't try to be better than where we were 80,000 years ago.

You can try all you want, the same base human behavior.
2. You yourself literally just spent the last page or so trying to defend the fact that human empathy can only extend to ~150 or so people, no more. Go reread your posts.

Most people's diret groups don't extend to 100, or at least that I know of, and you don't need to know everything about someone to emphasize.
3. Then that's your problem. I'd recommend trying to fix that.

What can I say, I'm a terrible person for finding trouble emphasizing with people and things that I can't verify exist as easily as I can with those I can verify for myself.
4. Except it was.

You have different definition of argument than I do, I apologies for the offence I caused then.
5. No, not good for them, because they're the ones screwing others over.

And youre not really convincing me to care anymore.

Winston Churchill, 1947.

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:38 pm

New haven america wrote:
Telconi wrote:
1)What delusion is this then?

2)That was sarcasm

Also, please dont edit my post, you're perfectly welcome to drop the pretense of caring about me, but to edit it out of a post is wrong.

1. Can you not read?

I'm not doing anything malacious, so no. Also, I do care about you, you're scared of the world and change and we don't want you to be scared anymore.

1)Well I read some stuff that doesn't apply to me, I thought you had something that does.
2)Well we'll throw it in the dustbin along with "I care about you" then.

Yes you are, you just don't care enough to even realize it. What was the phrase "that's an excuse I'm not buying"? I'd also point out that you haven't the slightest clue what I am, scared of, or otherwise.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:32 pm

Telconi wrote:
New haven america wrote:1. Can you not read?

1)Well I read some stuff that doesn't apply to me, I thought you had something that does.

3.Yes you are, you just don't care enough to even realize it. 4.What was the phrase "that's an excuse I'm not buying"? 5. I'd also point out that you haven't the slightest clue what I am, scared of, or otherwise.

1. No, it does apply to you. You see, this is part of "Trump's totally gonna help me even though I am of no use to him" thing you got going on
2. Just because you're incapable of empathy doesn't mean others are
3. Nope
4. Someone's getting defensive
5. Yes I do. You chose to place your bets on the party is infamous for fearmongering the idea that "The Other" is coming to hurt you and that change is bad. In that case it's not hard to deduce what scares you.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:39 pm

New haven america wrote:
Telconi wrote:

3.Yes you are, you just don't care enough to even realize it. 4.What was the phrase "that's an excuse I'm not buying"? 5. I'd also point out that you haven't the slightest clue what I am, scared of, or otherwise.

1. No, it does apply to you. You see, this is part of "Trump's totally gonna help me even though I am of no use to him" thing you got going on
3. Nope
5. Yes I do. You chose to place your bets on the party is infamous for fearmongering the idea that "The Other" is coming to hurt you and that change is bad. In that case it's not hard to deduce what scares you.

1) Except I don't believe that...
2)I'm not incapable of empathy, and I never said you were.
3)I'll remember that genius explanation.
4)Calling out liars for lying is 'defensive' now?
5)And yet you fail at it miserably. Makes you wonder doesn't it?
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:43 pm

Telconi wrote:
New haven america wrote:1. No, it does apply to you. You see, this is part of "Trump's totally gonna help me even though I am of no use to him" thing you got going on
3. Nope

1) Except I don't believe that...
2)I'm not incapable of empathy, and I never said you were.
3)I'll remember that genius explanation.
4)Calling out liars for lying is 'defensive' now?
5)And yet you fail at it miserably. Makes you wonder doesn't it?

1. No, you've fooled yourself into thinking he's gonna help the world. Emphasis on the term fooled yourself.
2. So then why would you throw me saying I care in the dustbin, hm...?
3. Good, it's all you require
4. Only one lying here it you. Specifically to yourself.
5. Except I haven't, because you've yet again fooled yourself into thinking those aren't fears of yours while while drinking the fearmonger's kool-aid. Way to go~
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:05 am

Oil exporting People wrote:Turkey and China have both been, for lack of a better term, hammered by the U.S. this year. Combined with Trump's stance on Japan, I wonder how much influence George Friedman's geopolitical thinking has had on Trump; we know back in 2012 Mitt Romney was reading up on his thinking. I personally own The Next 100 Years and The Next Decade, with Friedman largely being right with incredible accuracy so far.

Really? What has he predicted that has been accurate?
Everything is intertwinkled

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:11 am

Oil exporting People wrote:Turkey and China have both been, for lack of a better term, hammered by the U.S. this year. Combined with Trump's stance on Japan, I wonder how much influence George Friedman's geopolitical thinking has had on Trump; we know back in 2012 Mitt Romney was reading up on his thinking. I personally own The Next 100 Years and The Next Decade, with Friedman largely being right with incredible accuracy so far.

Apparently Trump is single-handedly responsible for every bad economic policy decision Erdogan has made.

Also Trump is responsible for the sun rising in the morning and setting in the evening. Worship him.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 20, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:01 am

An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:

Really? What has he predicted that has been accurate?

"Some nations will do well while others won't"

"That special someone will be in your vicinity, but will otherwise show no interest. Don't give up, change is on the horizon"
The name's James. James Usari. Well, my name is not actually James Usari, so don't bother actually looking it up, but it'll do for now.
Lack of a real name means compensation through a real face. My debt is settled
Part-time Kebab tycoon in Glasgow.

Zurkerx
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 20, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Zurkerx » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:22 am

I think we can do a better title people even though I have no ideas for it :p
A Golden Civic: The New Pragmatic Libertarian
My Words: Indeed, Indubitably & Malarkey
Retired Admin in NSGS and NS Parliament

Accountant, Author, History Buff, Political Junkie
“Has ambition so eclipsed principle?” ~ Mitt Romney
"Try not to become a person of success, but rather try to become a person of value." ~ Albert Einstein
"Trust, but verify." ~ Ronald Reagan

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:52 am

Zurkerx wrote:I think we can do a better title people even though I have no ideas for it :p

If there's one thing that maintains the slight grip Mods have on the edge of sanity it's putting up a shitty title, reading the complaints, sometimes going so far as to ask for suggestions and then changing NOTHING!

Sometimes they'll take it a tad further by responding 'that's not a bad title' as though patting a slightly below intelligence and unwanted puppy on the street.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General