NATION

PASSWORD

MAGAThread XIV: All persons born or naturalized ...

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:59 pm

Chernoslavia wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:
Yes.

I’ve seen lots of people refer to him as a he.

Dude...she. You've seen people refer to her as "he", but she's a woman.
Last edited by Cannot think of a name on Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:59 pm

Manokan Republic wrote:
Shrillland wrote:
This isn't a question of a few miles. The nation's part of the border spans 75 miles and, at its furthest, the nation's northernmost boundary is over 100 miles from the border.

You build around it. What difference does it make. xP

But in reality the U.S. can legally build on the border itself as the actual border of the U.S. is not owned by that nation, it is merely adjacent to the border. It would be easy enough to build around it, as I said. Even if you build the wall around the entire thing, it's only a small amount added to the overall length of the wall. Mostly likely knowing trump he will just build it on the border and not really care.

And then we all laugh as SCOTUS declares that the wall is unconstitutional
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Manokan Republic
Minister

Founded: Dec 15, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Manokan Republic » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:00 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Manokan Republic wrote:You build around it. What difference does it make. xP

But in reality the U.S. can legally build on the border itself as the actual border of the U.S. is not owned by that nation, it is merely adjacent to the border. It would be easy enough to build around it, as I said.

No they can’t. Legal cases have set a precedent that those who own land that goes right up to the border must have final say

The government can take land at it's own disposal, and the border is already it's territory (and the border wall wouldn't be very thick), but even so, at worst you end up with a slightly misshapen border wall.

Manokan Republic
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Manokan Republic » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:01 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Manokan Republic wrote:You build around it. What difference does it make. xP

But in reality the U.S. can legally build on the border itself as the actual border of the U.S. is not owned by that nation, it is merely adjacent to the border. It would be easy enough to build around it, as I said. Even if you build the wall around the entire thing, it's only a small amount added to the overall length of the wall. Mostly likely knowing trump he will just build it on the border and not really care.

And then we all laugh as SCOTUS declares that the wall is unconstitutional

I'm doubt the supreme court will declare the wall unconstitutional, as it's not unconstitutional to have a wall. We already have 580 miles of border wall, for example with one in Texas, so the land has already been built on. But even so he's got the court stacked in his favor, and Ruth seems to be close to retiring on top of this. My guess is this doesn't happen.
Last edited by Manokan Republic on Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:03 pm

Manokan Republic wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:No they can’t. Legal cases have set a precedent that those who own land that goes right up to the border must have final say

The government can take land at it's own disposal, and the border is already it's territory (and the border wall wouldn't be very thick), but even so, at worst you end up with a slightly misshapen border wall.

No it can’t. While eminent domain exists it’s not a “I can do whatever the hell i want with any land” get out of jail free card. Eminent domain is able to be appealed in court.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Manokan Republic
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Manokan Republic » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:04 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Manokan Republic wrote:The government can take land at it's own disposal, and the border is already it's territory (and the border wall wouldn't be very thick), but even so, at worst you end up with a slightly misshapen border wall.

No it can’t. While eminent domain exists it’s not a “I can do whatever the hell i want with any land” get out of jail free card. Eminent domain is able to be appealed in court.

Yes, but in the case of a border wall, of which 580 miles of which already exist, time and time again it's been given to the government. Most likely it will just get the territory without question. It can take the land and will typically get it. Even if it's opposed, many times the court motions are quashed.
Last edited by Manokan Republic on Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:06 pm

Manokan Republic wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:And then we all laugh as SCOTUS declares that the wall is unconstitutional

I'm doubt the supreme court will declare the wall unconstitutional, as it's not unconstitutional to have a wall. We already have 580 miles of border wall, for example with one in Texas, so the land has already been built on. But even so he's got the court stacked in his favor, and Ruth seems to be close to retiring on top of this. My guess is this doesn't happen.

That’s not how SCOTUS works. The justices Trump appointed have no loyalty to Trump and have ruled against a few Republican Party issues.

Also just because something exists doesn’t mean it can’t be unconstitutional
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:10 pm

Manokan Republic wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:No it can’t. While eminent domain exists it’s not a “I can do whatever the hell i want with any land” get out of jail free card. Eminent domain is able to be appealed in court.

Yes, but in the case of a border wall, of which 580 miles of which already exist, time and time again it's been given to the government. Most likely it will just get the territory without question. It can take the land and will typically get it. Even if it's opposed, many times the court motions are quashed.

580 miles of fence. Not wall. And that’s out of nearly 2,000 miles. Not really impressive there dude. The Native nation’s have different rights than regular people. Their motion isn’t going to get tossed.

Now the financial burden of building a physical wall is going to be a killer. So get ready to either have a shit ton of debt or pay a shit ton of taxes.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011

Postby Bombadil » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:12 pm

What should the new thread title be?
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Cannot think of a name » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:14 pm

Bombadil wrote:What should the new thread title be?

Something that will be buried by seventeen newer scandals by the time its done.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:16 pm

I'm confused about how The Wall will magically end all violent crime in the US. Especially given how much of it is done by native born White people.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:16 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Bombadil wrote:What should the new thread title be?

Something that will be buried by seventeen newer scandals by the time its done.

I think a nod to the fact we’re halfway through at least the first iteration of this shitshow would work.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Chernoslavia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chernoslavia » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:17 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Chernoslavia wrote:
I’ve seen lots of people refer to him as a he.

Dude...she. You've seen people refer to her as "he", but she's a woman.

Shut up, Can.
Last edited by Chernoslavia on Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
What would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive? Or if during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand? The Organs would quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt!

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:18 pm

Vassenor wrote:I'm confused about how The Wall will magically end all violent crime in the US. Especially given how much of it is done by native born White people.

It won’t, but at this point I’m like give the little man his wall.. the pointlessness and expense of upkeep can be a legacy to his monumental stupidity.

十年

Chernoslavia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Chernoslavia » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:19 pm

Vassenor wrote:I'm confused about how The Wall will magically end all violent crime in the US. Especially given how much of it is done by native born White people.

You do realize a considerable amount are committed by other races right?
What would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive? Or if during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand? The Organs would quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt!

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:20 pm

Chernoslavia wrote:

Do both of you realize that nobody else cares who commits what crimes and how many?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Chernoslavia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Chernoslavia » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:22 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Chernoslavia wrote:

Do both of you realize that nobody else cares who commits what crimes and how many?

Vas does.

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:24 pm

Chernoslavia wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Do both of you realize that nobody else cares who commits what crimes and how many?

Vas does.

:eyebrow:

Get a room
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Kyrusia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Nov 12, 2007
Capitalizt

Postby Kyrusia » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:32 pm

New thread is live. iLock'd.
[KYRU]
old. roleplayer. the goat your parents warned you about.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General