NATION

PASSWORD

MAGAThread XIV: All persons born or naturalized ...

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Valrifell
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 17682
Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Valrifell » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:47 pm

Loben wrote:
Valrifell wrote:
Friendly reminder that Prussia no longer exists at all, so.


Prussia was a fluke that died an unnecessary death at the hands of germany's post great war political structuring.

could be said that germany *also* died with it.


Prussia still existed as a state of the Weimar Republic, and her importance was re-elevated by the Nazis. One of the stipulations of the Treaty of Paris, iirc, was that Germany dissolve Prussia as a legal entity in its entirety, because Prussian militarism so easily helped the Nazis stoke the national tempers and take power.
Last edited by Valrifell on Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio
Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you

I did some things

User avatar
Loben
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1469
Founded: Sep 27, 2018
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Loben » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:49 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Loben wrote:
Prussia was a fluke that died an unnecessary death at the hands of germany's post great war political structuring.

could be said that germany *also* died with it.


Prussia still existed as a state of the Weimar Republic, and her importance was re-elevated by the Nazis. One of the stipulations of the Treaty of Paris, iirc, was that Germany dissolve Prussia as a legal entity in its entirely, because Prussian militarism so easily helped the Nazis stoke the national tempers and take power.


considering the weimar republic failed.....

User avatar
Farnhamia
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 97015
Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:53 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Loben wrote:
Prussia was a fluke that died an unnecessary death at the hands of germany's post great war political structuring.

could be said that germany *also* died with it.


Prussia still existed as a state of the Weimar Republic, and her importance was re-elevated by the Nazis. One of the stipulations of the Treaty of Paris, iirc, was that Germany dissolve Prussia as a legal entity in its entirety, because Prussian militarism so easily helped the Nazis stoke the national tempers and take power.

But you digress.
Freedom ... or cake. ~ Ashmoria (RIP)
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo| In support of Arch

User avatar
Bombadil
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8929
Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Bombadil » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:56 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Valrifell wrote:
Prussia still existed as a state of the Weimar Republic, and her importance was re-elevated by the Nazis. One of the stipulations of the Treaty of Paris, iirc, was that Germany dissolve Prussia as a legal entity in its entirety, because Prussian militarism so easily helped the Nazis stoke the national tempers and take power.

But you digress.


The Prussian issue for Trump comes with a silent 'p'.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

User avatar
Valrifell
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 17682
Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Valrifell » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:56 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Valrifell wrote:
Prussia still existed as a state of the Weimar Republic, and her importance was re-elevated by the Nazis. One of the stipulations of the Treaty of Paris, iirc, was that Germany dissolve Prussia as a legal entity in its entirety, because Prussian militarism so easily helped the Nazis stoke the national tempers and take power.

But you digress.


Naturally.

Though tangentially related to that, Trump's admiration of the military appears entirely rhetorical. No action has come from him to actually benefit the soldiers beyond jingoism to rally his base. Which is actually pretty circular considering the military swings conservative more oft than not.

But, anyway, such are signs of a politically stagnant or decaying republic.
Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio
Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you

I did some things

User avatar
Senkaku
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15975
Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Senkaku » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:02 pm

Loben wrote:
Senkaku wrote:Europe is the way it is in no small part because of militaristic dictatorships lol


its more of a reaction after them

Aversion to military service, outright disdain for the personnel and purposeful incompetence in procurement.

Yes, I know- what exactly do you think would happen here after our hypothetical one ends? :roll:
Instagay

Athrax wrote:
Gauthier wrote:How many times a month did Kennedy visit Dallas?


Only once. He got a mindblowing reception though

The Nuclear Fist wrote:Just try and find a seat without getting your bollocks stuck in a light socket.

Lunas Legion wrote:That's NS for you. It has 2 speeds; a rape train with no brakes or brakes with no train.

Diopolis wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:Sanders/Trump 2016

Mexico will pay for our universal healthcare!

The Empire of Pretantia wrote:
Dogmeat wrote:The strobe was a little much.

But then the beat dropped and it was just perfect.

User avatar
Vassenor
Post Czar
 
Posts: 39588
Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:04 pm

Loben wrote:
Senkaku wrote:Europe is the way it is in no small part because of militaristic dictatorships lol


its more of a reaction after them

Aversion to military service, outright disdain for the personnel and purposeful incompetence in procurement.


I thought we were talking about Europe, not Trump.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Hufflepuff/Team Mystic

User avatar
Loben
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1469
Founded: Sep 27, 2018
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Loben » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:06 pm

Senkaku wrote:
Loben wrote:
its more of a reaction after them

Aversion to military service, outright disdain for the personnel and purposeful incompetence in procurement.

Yes, I know- what exactly do you think would happen here after our hypothetical one ends? :roll:


something far more reliable stability wise and something that will, god willing, terrify our enemies into utter submission.

User avatar
Loben
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1469
Founded: Sep 27, 2018
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Loben » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:07 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Loben wrote:
its more of a reaction after them

Aversion to military service, outright disdain for the personnel and purposeful incompetence in procurement.


I thought we were talking about Europe, not Trump.


Hoo hoo hoo i fucking laughed.

User avatar
Vassenor
Post Czar
 
Posts: 39588
Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:12 pm

Loben wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
I thought we were talking about Europe, not Trump.


Hoo hoo hoo i fucking laughed.


Literal draft dodger who has overseen massive cuts to the VA and other support services and who ordered the new fleet of aircraft carriers be refitted at great cost to the taxpayer because he thought the new catapult system didn't look as cool as the old one.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Hufflepuff/Team Mystic

User avatar
Loben
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1469
Founded: Sep 27, 2018
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Loben » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:13 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Loben wrote:
Hoo hoo hoo i fucking laughed.


Literal draft dodger who has overseen massive cuts to the VA and other support services and who ordered the new fleet of aircraft carriers be refitted at great cost to the taxpayer because he thought the new catapult system didn't look as cool as the old one.


worth.

every.

fucking.

dollar.

User avatar
Vassenor
Post Czar
 
Posts: 39588
Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:14 pm

Loben wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
Literal draft dodger who has overseen massive cuts to the VA and other support services and who ordered the new fleet of aircraft carriers be refitted at great cost to the taxpayer because he thought the new catapult system didn't look as cool as the old one.


worth.

every.

fucking.

dollar.


Going back to an outdated and less efficient system purely because it looks cooler?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Hufflepuff/Team Mystic

User avatar
Senkaku
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15975
Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Senkaku » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:14 pm

Loben wrote:
Senkaku wrote:Yes, I know- what exactly do you think would happen here after our hypothetical one ends? :roll:


something far more reliable stability wise and something that will, god willing, terrify our enemies into utter submission.

So the American reaction to militarism after the fall of our own military dictatorship will be not to skew towards pacifism, but to double down on it, in contrast to pretty much every other country that's had similar experiences and in defiance of what one might expect looking at the data in those countries?

Seems like wishful thinking to me.
Instagay

Athrax wrote:
Gauthier wrote:How many times a month did Kennedy visit Dallas?


Only once. He got a mindblowing reception though

The Nuclear Fist wrote:Just try and find a seat without getting your bollocks stuck in a light socket.

Lunas Legion wrote:That's NS for you. It has 2 speeds; a rape train with no brakes or brakes with no train.

Diopolis wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:Sanders/Trump 2016

Mexico will pay for our universal healthcare!

The Empire of Pretantia wrote:
Dogmeat wrote:The strobe was a little much.

But then the beat dropped and it was just perfect.

User avatar
Bombadil
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8929
Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Bombadil » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:15 pm

Senkaku wrote:
Loben wrote:
something far more reliable stability wise and something that will, god willing, terrify our enemies into utter submission.

So the American reaction to militarism after the fall of our own military dictatorship will be not to skew towards pacifism, but to double down on it, in contrast to pretty much every other country that's had similar experiences and in defiance of what one might expect looking at the data in those countries?

Seems like wishful thinking to me.


Some people just assume they'll be part of the right team.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

User avatar
Loben
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1469
Founded: Sep 27, 2018
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Loben » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:17 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Loben wrote:
worth.

every.

fucking.

dollar.


Going back to an outdated and less efficient system purely because it looks cooler?


irc we're also switching back to pinks and greens because deadass they look cooler.

User avatar
Valgora
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6635
Founded: Mar 23, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Valgora » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:20 pm

Loben wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
Going back to an outdated and less efficient system purely because it looks cooler?


irc we're also switching back to pinks and greens because deadass they look cooler.

Switching to an older formal military dress is fine.
Switching to an outdated and less efficient system to launch aircraft from aircraft carriers simply because it looks cooler ain't fine.
Also, you trying to justify it with "we're also switching back to pinks and greens because they look cooler" is stupid.
REDNECK REVOLT
PUTTING THE RED BACK IN REDNECK
Libertarian Syndicalist
Not state capitalist

MT+FanT+some PMT
Multi-species.
Current gov't:
Founded 2023
Currently 2027

DISREGARD NS STATS
Link to factbooks-Forum Factbook-Q&A-Embassy
The Reverend Tim
Ordained Dudeist Priest
IRL Me
Luxemburgist/Syndicalist, brony, metalhead
Valgora =+/-IRL views
8 Values

Pro - Socialism/communism, Palestine, space exploration, left libertarianism, BLM, Gun Rights, LGBTQ, Industrial Hemp
Anti - Trump, Hillary, capitalism, authoritarianism, Gun Control, Police, UN, electric cars, Automation of the workforce
Sometimes, I like to think of myself as the Commie version of Dale Gribble.

User avatar
Loben
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1469
Founded: Sep 27, 2018
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Loben » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:24 pm

Valgora wrote:
Loben wrote:
irc we're also switching back to pinks and greens because deadass they look cooler.

Switching to an older formal military dress is fine.
Switching to an outdated and less efficient system to launch aircraft from aircraft carriers simply because it looks cooler ain't fine.
Also, you trying to justify it with "we're also switching back to pinks and greens because they look cooler" is stupid.


meh, if we have the luxury money to spend on a outdated way of launching aircraft with no fuss then i really dont worry.

User avatar
Senkaku
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15975
Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Senkaku » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:26 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Senkaku wrote:So the American reaction to militarism after the fall of our own military dictatorship will be not to skew towards pacifism, but to double down on it, in contrast to pretty much every other country that's had similar experiences and in defiance of what one might expect looking at the data in those countries?

Seems like wishful thinking to me.


Some people just assume they'll be part of the right team.

I mean, like, I wouldn't agree with just advocating for a junta for it's own sake either- but saying that we need to do it to avoid being "soft" or whatever like the Europeans, while simultaneously acknowledging that that perceived softness is a direct result of Europe's experiences with militarism and authoritarianism seems... counterintuitive.

Unless the idea is that THIS dictatorship really will finally be the one that successfully lasts for 10,000 years or whatever lol which is even dumber
Instagay

Athrax wrote:
Gauthier wrote:How many times a month did Kennedy visit Dallas?


Only once. He got a mindblowing reception though

The Nuclear Fist wrote:Just try and find a seat without getting your bollocks stuck in a light socket.

Lunas Legion wrote:That's NS for you. It has 2 speeds; a rape train with no brakes or brakes with no train.

Diopolis wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:Sanders/Trump 2016

Mexico will pay for our universal healthcare!

The Empire of Pretantia wrote:
Dogmeat wrote:The strobe was a little much.

But then the beat dropped and it was just perfect.

User avatar
Valgora
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6635
Founded: Mar 23, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Valgora » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:27 pm

Loben wrote:
Valgora wrote:Switching to an older formal military dress is fine.
Switching to an outdated and less efficient system to launch aircraft from aircraft carriers simply because it looks cooler ain't fine.
Also, you trying to justify it with "we're also switching back to pinks and greens because they look cooler" is stupid.


meh, if we have the luxury money to spend on a outdated way of launching aircraft with no fuss then i really dont worry.

We don't have the luxury money to do that.
And still going back to an outdated and less efficient system of launching aircraft because it looks cool is stupid even if you have the money.
But we don't actually have the money, which makes doing that even stupider.
REDNECK REVOLT
PUTTING THE RED BACK IN REDNECK
Libertarian Syndicalist
Not state capitalist

MT+FanT+some PMT
Multi-species.
Current gov't:
Founded 2023
Currently 2027

DISREGARD NS STATS
Link to factbooks-Forum Factbook-Q&A-Embassy
The Reverend Tim
Ordained Dudeist Priest
IRL Me
Luxemburgist/Syndicalist, brony, metalhead
Valgora =+/-IRL views
8 Values

Pro - Socialism/communism, Palestine, space exploration, left libertarianism, BLM, Gun Rights, LGBTQ, Industrial Hemp
Anti - Trump, Hillary, capitalism, authoritarianism, Gun Control, Police, UN, electric cars, Automation of the workforce
Sometimes, I like to think of myself as the Commie version of Dale Gribble.

User avatar
Loben
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1469
Founded: Sep 27, 2018
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Loben » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:28 pm

Senkaku wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
Some people just assume they'll be part of the right team.

I mean, like, I wouldn't agree with just advocating for a junta for it's own sake either- but saying that we need to do it to avoid being "soft" or whatever like the Europeans, while simultaneously acknowledging that that perceived softness is a direct result of Europe's experiences with militarism and authoritarianism seems... counterintuitive.

Unless the idea is that THIS dictatorship really will finally be the one that successfully lasts for 10,000 years or whatever lol which is even dumber


at least i dont want to target minorities.

User avatar
Bombadil
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8929
Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Bombadil » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:29 pm

Basically FOX is a part of this administration.. I imagine Hannity will be the next AG..

Donald Trump has decided to name the state department spokeswoman Heather Nauert as the ambassador to the United Nations, a source familiar with his decision told Reuters.

Trump will send a tweet on Friday morning about choosing Nauert to replace the outgoing UN ambassador, Nikki Haley, who announced her resignation in October, Fox News reported, citing multiple sources.

Nauert, whose nomination would require Senate confirmation, is a former Fox News Channel correspondent and anchor. She does not have prior political or policy-making experience.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

User avatar
Senkaku
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15975
Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Senkaku » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:29 pm

Loben wrote:
Senkaku wrote:I mean, like, I wouldn't agree with just advocating for a junta for it's own sake either- but saying that we need to do it to avoid being "soft" or whatever like the Europeans, while simultaneously acknowledging that that perceived softness is a direct result of Europe's experiences with militarism and authoritarianism seems... counterintuitive.

Unless the idea is that THIS dictatorship really will finally be the one that successfully lasts for 10,000 years or whatever lol which is even dumber


at least i dont want to target minorities.

I'm not saying you're a literal Nazi lol, I'm saying that if your idea is "let's not end up like Europe", then following the exact same steps that the Europeans followed to get to where they are seems pretty fucking stupid lol
Instagay

Athrax wrote:
Gauthier wrote:How many times a month did Kennedy visit Dallas?


Only once. He got a mindblowing reception though

The Nuclear Fist wrote:Just try and find a seat without getting your bollocks stuck in a light socket.

Lunas Legion wrote:That's NS for you. It has 2 speeds; a rape train with no brakes or brakes with no train.

Diopolis wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:Sanders/Trump 2016

Mexico will pay for our universal healthcare!

The Empire of Pretantia wrote:
Dogmeat wrote:The strobe was a little much.

But then the beat dropped and it was just perfect.

User avatar
Luminesa
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 51080
Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:45 pm

Valgora wrote:
Loben wrote:
irc we're also switching back to pinks and greens because deadass they look cooler.

Switching to an older formal military dress is fine.
Switching to an outdated and less efficient system to launch aircraft from aircraft carriers simply because it looks cooler ain't fine.
Also, you trying to justify it with "we're also switching back to pinks and greens because they look cooler" is stupid.

You say that, but “Do everything because it looks and sounds cool” worked for Gurren Lagann. >.>
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. Not that I need the coffee, but you know... :3

So apparently I am an ENFP!

Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson

User avatar
Luminesa
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 51080
Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:47 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Loben wrote:
its more of a reaction after them

Aversion to military service, outright disdain for the personnel and purposeful incompetence in procurement.


I thought we were talking about Europe, not Trump.

I hate to say this, but...those three things didn’t just happen under Trump.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. Not that I need the coffee, but you know... :3

So apparently I am an ENFP!

Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson

User avatar
Valgora
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6635
Founded: Mar 23, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Valgora » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:49 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Valgora wrote:Switching to an older formal military dress is fine.
Switching to an outdated and less efficient system to launch aircraft from aircraft carriers simply because it looks cooler ain't fine.
Also, you trying to justify it with "we're also switching back to pinks and greens because they look cooler" is stupid.

You say that, but “Do everything because it looks and sounds cool” worked for Gurren Lagann. >.>

The only anime I've ever seen was "Kill la Kill" and I think up to season 5 of "Fairy Tail".
REDNECK REVOLT
PUTTING THE RED BACK IN REDNECK
Libertarian Syndicalist
Not state capitalist

MT+FanT+some PMT
Multi-species.
Current gov't:
Founded 2023
Currently 2027

DISREGARD NS STATS
Link to factbooks-Forum Factbook-Q&A-Embassy
The Reverend Tim
Ordained Dudeist Priest
IRL Me
Luxemburgist/Syndicalist, brony, metalhead
Valgora =+/-IRL views
8 Values

Pro - Socialism/communism, Palestine, space exploration, left libertarianism, BLM, Gun Rights, LGBTQ, Industrial Hemp
Anti - Trump, Hillary, capitalism, authoritarianism, Gun Control, Police, UN, electric cars, Automation of the workforce
Sometimes, I like to think of myself as the Commie version of Dale Gribble.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: New haven america, Shrillland, Uiiop, Western Vale Confederacy

Advertisement

Remove ads