NATION

PASSWORD

MAGAThread XIV: All persons born or naturalized ...

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:31 pm

Luminesa wrote:International law right now is a joke. The same countries that have lambasted America for basically everything (France, Germany, much of the EU, China, etc.) have oceans of blood on their hands. And if you’re worried about our reputation, we’ve been disliked by most of the world since this nation was founded. It’s a little too late, and useless, to worry about our reputation in the current year.

We've actually been much-beloved and the leader of the free world essentially since WW1. But w/e, whatever helps the argument that we should toss diplomacy out the window in exchange for Trump.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Petrasylvania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrasylvania » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:39 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
Luminesa wrote:International law right now is a joke. The same countries that have lambasted America for basically everything (France, Germany, much of the EU, China, etc.) have oceans of blood on their hands. And if you’re worried about our reputation, we’ve been disliked by most of the world since this nation was founded. It’s a little too late, and useless, to worry about our reputation in the current year.

We've actually been much-beloved and the leader of the free world essentially since WW1. But w/e, whatever helps the argument that we should toss diplomacy out the window in exchange for Trump.

It's troubling that half the country worships a spoiled brat that has ruined numerous lives and has never been held accountable or faced punishment for it.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be proof of a pan-Islamic plot and Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand, crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of mentally ill lone wolves who do not represent their professed belief system at all.
The probability of someone secretly participating in homosexual acts is directly proportional to the frequency and loudness of their publicly professed disapproval and/or disgust for homosexuality.
If Donald Trump accuses an individual of malfeasance without evidence, it is almost a certainty either he or someone associated with him has in fact committed that very same malfeasance to a greater degree.

New Flag Courtesy of The Realist Polities

Zurkerx
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 20, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Zurkerx » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:50 pm

Jerzylvania wrote:
Zurkerx wrote:
Is it though? I could have sworn he's only there for a short period of time, which Congress must approve someone in that time frame. Then again, I'm not entirely sure how this all works so...

It's not so simple here. It's DOJ and there's an investigation involving among other things Trump and pals. But besides that, to be by the book, er, the US Constitution, he needed to be confirmed at some time prior. That even seems to be the view of Kellyanne Conway's husband who is a legal scholar.

Oh to be a fly on their bedroom wall.

NO! WAIT!!!

I see, makes sense. Then his appointment violates the Appointments Clause within the Constitution.

But Jerzy, why you get me this image of the Conways... *shields eyes
A Golden Civic: The New Pragmatic Libertarian
My Words: Indeed, Indubitably & Malarkey
Retired Admin in NSGS and NS Parliament

Accountant, Author, History Buff, Political Junkie
“Has ambition so eclipsed principle?” ~ Mitt Romney
"Try not to become a person of success, but rather try to become a person of value." ~ Albert Einstein
"Trust, but verify." ~ Ronald Reagan

Petrasylvania
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Petrasylvania » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:58 pm

Zurkerx wrote:
Jerzylvania wrote:
It's not so simple here. It's DOJ and there's an investigation involving among other things Trump and pals. But besides that, to be by the book, er, the US Constitution, he needed to be confirmed at some time prior. That even seems to be the view of Kellyanne Conway's husband who is a legal scholar.

Oh to be a fly on their bedroom wall.

NO! WAIT!!!

I see, makes sense. Then his appointment violates the Appointments Clause within the Constitution.

But Jerzy, why you get me this image of the Conways... *shields eyes

"It's 'alternative positions'."
Crimes committed by Muslims will be proof of a pan-Islamic plot and Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand, crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of mentally ill lone wolves who do not represent their professed belief system at all.
The probability of someone secretly participating in homosexual acts is directly proportional to the frequency and loudness of their publicly professed disapproval and/or disgust for homosexuality.
If Donald Trump accuses an individual of malfeasance without evidence, it is almost a certainty either he or someone associated with him has in fact committed that very same malfeasance to a greater degree.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:31 pm

Senkaku wrote:
Luminesa wrote:I’ll admit she’s okay on the backing vocals for Finesse, but otherwise...naaaaaaaaah. Sorry bruh.

;__;

I mean having war criminals is one thing, if you’re sorry for your deeds and/or you want to help a better cause than the one you were helping. It’s still sketchy, but people CAN change.

That seems like bullshit to me, but it makes me kinda happy you have that kind of faith in people- however, I don't know why you then wouldn't have that for some specific Sri Lankan war criminals only.
But according to the article the UN not only hired war criminals, but did nothing about what they were actively doing in the region and in fact hid what they were doing in the region.

What exactly did NASA and the US government do about the rocket scientists we hired who oversaw slave labor at their missile facilities? Yes, it's terrible, but it's hardly unique or proof the whole institution must go. Otherwise most security agencies, intelligence services, and militaries around the world would have to be disbanded, along with a whole lot of other businesses and organizations.
And in the meantime Sri Lanka is still a wreck.

Sri Lanka's civil war has been over for a number of years.

I think it needs to be remade into something else, not taken down and left in ruins. We could make it into something far better.

Easy to say vague shit like this, hard to actually do the nitty-gritty. See also: Brexit.
If it’s supposed to prevent wars then it has failed miserably in most cases.

Literally untrue. We haven't had a great power war since 1945 and worldwide, deaths in battle have fallen dramatically. You just hear about the conflicts that are going on a lot more thanks to the modern global communications system and the media.
And if it’s not meant to solve wars then it has no use. We haven’t had nuclear warfare, and what makes you think NK or Russia would listen to a toothless organization if they truly felt like nuking other countries? Giving a sternly-worded letter to a couple countries isn’t going to stop them from killing each other, and hasn’t.

You're just not correct. The UN has done a fuckton of work to help avert major wars since the end of World War Two. Without it, we might be living in some crappy knockoff version of Fallout.
The bodies of millions of Rwandans lie long-dead as proof.

The UN was never supposed to go solve every country's internal problems, and it's never been given the tools to either, even though it's been asked to of late. Proceeding to complain when it inevitably fails is pretty much the shittiest, least helpful, least productive thing you could possibly do in response.

People have been turning away from us as far back as WWI. Trump didn’t start that fire.

...what?

Did you hit your head really hard in 1919 and are only just now coming 'round?

I can concede that the US likes overblown stunts, but I’m not sure if that’s the case in this case...actually it does seem to be part of the case at least, but there were other countries the US was mad at.

Please, come up with those rules, I'm sure it'll be a piece of cake. :roll:

Oh, and also, once the army is faced with incredibly restrictive rules of engagement and almost never deployed because the great powers (and the little ones too, for that matter) can never agree on how or when to use it and are all scared about the precedent that such a violation of sovereignty would set and what the implications for the international system would even be, and once the US probably pays for most of its equipment and training because no one else will, and once it probably fails to perform effectively in combat due to organizational problems and gets schmacked by some third world jackass and completely discredits the UN and possibly brings down the whole institution, please, complain loudly about it and blame the UN for it.

International law is not and never has been a joke. It's the fucking basis for the world order.

The idea that someone else behaving badly gives you the right to respond in kind is honestly at the root of a ton of human problems at every scale, whether it's a relationship or a schoolyard or political parties or the world order. Kindly stop advancing it.

Untrue and irrelevant.

Untrue.

Patently false and utterly ridiculous. Everyone worries about their reputation and with good fucking reason.

Kowani wrote:I don’t know man, the Marshall Plan really boosted our popularity. Add in music, Hollywood and most pop culture, and we’re pretty well liked. (Even though certain European snobs are still sticking to their “America has no culture” guns.

America used blue jeans and rock'n'roll! It's super effective!

The USSR has fainted!

What about hitting my head? Shoot, we could go back further. Remember how the French was one of our allies when we had literally just became the US, and because stuff happened the French ended-up hating us for a while? During Napoleon’s time. I’m saying if you’re worried about our reputation, people have and will always hate the US. I wouldn’t lose sleep over it.

Also I couldn’t have hit my head in 1919 because in 1919 my great-grandmother was a small girl and I wasn’t even a twinkle in God’s eye. Maybe in 1996 I hit my head, probably in 1998, and in 2006 specifically I got hit in the head with a dodgeball. That’ll do it in most cases. :lol2:
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014

Postby Luminesa » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:33 pm

Kowani wrote:

I don’t know man, the Marshall Plan really boosted our popularity. Add in music, Hollywood and most pop culture, and we’re pretty well liked. (Even though certain European snobs are still sticking to their “America has no culture” guns.

Depends on the country, many countries hate the globalization we’ve caused, and one can argue that in some cases globalization has also eroded some of the local cultures in distant countries. But you are right that we are popular. Just...not in a lot of places around the world.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:40 pm

On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:44 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Senkaku wrote:;__;

That seems like bullshit to me, but it makes me kinda happy you have that kind of faith in people- however, I don't know why you then wouldn't have that for some specific Sri Lankan war criminals only.

What exactly did NASA and the US government do about the rocket scientists we hired who oversaw slave labor at their missile facilities? Yes, it's terrible, but it's hardly unique or proof the whole institution must go. Otherwise most security agencies, intelligence services, and militaries around the world would have to be disbanded, along with a whole lot of other businesses and organizations.

Sri Lanka's civil war has been over for a number of years.

Easy to say vague shit like this, hard to actually do the nitty-gritty. See also: Brexit.

Literally untrue. We haven't had a great power war since 1945 and worldwide, deaths in battle have fallen dramatically. You just hear about the conflicts that are going on a lot more thanks to the modern global communications system and the media.

You're just not correct. The UN has done a fuckton of work to help avert major wars since the end of World War Two. Without it, we might be living in some crappy knockoff version of Fallout.

The UN was never supposed to go solve every country's internal problems, and it's never been given the tools to either, even though it's been asked to of late. Proceeding to complain when it inevitably fails is pretty much the shittiest, least helpful, least productive thing you could possibly do in response.

...what?

Did you hit your head really hard in 1919 and are only just now coming 'round?

Patently false and utterly ridiculous. Everyone worries about their reputation and with good fucking reason.

America used blue jeans and rock'n'roll! It's super effective!

The USSR has fainted!

What about hitting my head? Shoot, we could go back further. Remember how the French was one of our allies when we had literally just became the US, and because stuff happened the French ended-up hating us for a while? During Napoleon’s time.

That's cool and all but since the start of the 20th century America has become the world's leading economic, military, and cultural power, and correspondingly has become far more involved on the global stage, so what other countries (AKA potential partners or enemies) think of us has become rather more important.
I’m saying if you’re worried about our reputation, people have and will always hate the US. I wouldn’t lose sleep over it.

Yeah, cool, but I'm not really talking about it just like in the context of America stress-eating at 2 AM and agonizing about all her mistakes because one of the other girls called her a bitch in the groupchat or whatever.

Also I couldn’t have hit my head in 1919 because in 1919 my great-grandmother was a small girl and I wasn’t even a twinkle in God’s eye. Maybe in 1996 I hit my head, probably in 1998, and in 2006 specifically I got hit in the head with a dodgeball. That’ll do it in most cases. :lol2:

Was it like one of the squishy foam ones they use in like school gym classes and shit, or was it like a rubbery one or an actual hard one? Also was it like hard or not that hard? (And was it a good game of dodgeball?)
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:46 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Kowani wrote:I don’t know man, the Marshall Plan really boosted our popularity. Add in music, Hollywood and most pop culture, and we’re pretty well liked. (Even though certain European snobs are still sticking to their “America has no culture” guns.

Depends on the country, many countries hate the globalization we’ve caused,

many people, not necessarily whole countries as monoliths, and we were FAR from the sole cause but continue
and one can argue that in some cases globalization has also eroded some of the local cultures in distant countries.

I mean yea I think when you water it down like that it's hard for anyone to disagree :p
But you are right that we are popular. Just...not in a lot of places around the world.

And you know what a good thing about being liked is? It makes it a hell of a lot easier to get people to do what you want them to do than if they don't like you and you have to force them.
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:14 am

Conserative Morality wrote:Approval data

Mexican approval rates went down.

What a surprise.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:21 am

Uff.

Israel at that 70+ while Egypt is ~10.

Weird, I wonder why we support the Zionists these days.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Petrasylvania
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Petrasylvania » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:36 am

G-Tech Corporation wrote:

Uff.

Bat Signal For Jesus.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:51 am

Nakena wrote:

Mexican approval rates went down.

What a surprise.

Out of all the downward trends in opinions, you picked that one to comment on.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:56 am

G-Tech Corporation wrote:

Uff.

Tbf the Israelis should never be fully trusted or supported, given their propensity for selling American military technology to the Chinese.

Arouran
Secretary

Founded: Oct 03, 2018
Psychotic Dictatorship

Garland

Postby Arouran » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:17 am

Obama,bush,and Clinton only tried to please the party they are alligned with.And about Obama's pick..Garland,well we have enough liberal judges in this country so he would have been a horrible judge who sides with liberals but not the Constitution.I also feel abortion needs to be illegal in America.Only God decides your fate,not man.How can anyone kill a baby and think it's ok or use the ecuse of convenience because the woman can't keep her legs closed and that man cannot control himself. Killing a baby is in the same league as going out and shooting somebody dead, absolutely no damn difference what -so-ever.Its sick and so wrong.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:23 am

Arouran wrote:Obama,bush,and Clinton only tried to please the party they are alligned with.And about Obama's pick..Garland,well we have enough liberal judges in this country so he would have been a horrible judge who sides with liberals but not the Constitution.I also feel abortion needs to be illegal in America.Only God decides your fate,not man.How can anyone kill a baby and think it's ok or use the ecuse of convenience because the woman can't keep her legs closed and that man cannot control himself. Killing a baby is in the same league as going out and shooting somebody dead, absolutely no damn difference what -so-ever.Its sick and so wrong.

So what does any of that have to do with Trump?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Petrasylvania
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Petrasylvania » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:02 am

Vassenor wrote:
Arouran wrote:Obama,bush,and Clinton only tried to please the party they are alligned with.And about Obama's pick..Garland,well we have enough liberal judges in this country so he would have been a horrible judge who sides with liberals but not the Constitution.I also feel abortion needs to be illegal in America.Only God decides your fate,not man.How can anyone kill a baby and think it's ok or use the ecuse of convenience because the woman can't keep her legs closed and that man cannot control himself. Killing a baby is in the same league as going out and shooting somebody dead, absolutely no damn difference what -so-ever.Its sick and so wrong.

So what does any of that have to do with Trump?

BUT BUSH, BUT CLINTON, BUT OBAMA all in a single pack.

Sane Outcasts
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 19, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Sane Outcasts » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:04 am

Daily reminder that Trump is still an ass

There is no reason for these massive, deadly and costly forest fires in California except that forest management is so poor. Billions of dollars are given each year, with so many lives lost, all because of gross mismanagement of the forests. Remedy now, or no more Fed payments!

Thuzbekistan
Minister

Founded: Dec 29, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Thuzbekistan » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:14 am

Sane Outcasts wrote:Daily reminder that Trump is still an ass

There is no reason for these massive, deadly and costly forest fires in California except that forest management is so poor. Billions of dollars are given each year, with so many lives lost, all because of gross mismanagement of the forests. Remedy now, or no more Fed payments!

I was horrified by that statement. There is no way anyone can justify this.
Proud Member of The Western Isles, the Best RP region on NS.
An RP I'm Proud of: Orsandian Civil War
An INTJ, -A/-T

Economic Left/Right: -5.0
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.72

Petrasylvania
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Petrasylvania » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:15 am

Thuzbekistan wrote:

I was horrified by that statement. There is no way anyone can justify this.

But justify they will. Some by insisting Commiefornia deserves to burn.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:16 am

That is wrong, President Trump shouldn't have said that.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Thuzbekistan
Minister

Founded: Dec 29, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Thuzbekistan » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:20 am

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 7960870913

This is a very surprising statement.

In all fairness, Nancy Pelosi deserves to be chosen Speaker of the House by the Democrats. If they give her a hard time, perhaps we will add some Republican votes. She has earned this great honor!
Proud Member of The Western Isles, the Best RP region on NS.
An RP I'm Proud of: Orsandian Civil War
An INTJ, -A/-T

Economic Left/Right: -5.0
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.72

Petrasylvania
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Petrasylvania » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:22 am

Thuzbekistan wrote:https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1060162807960870913

This is a very surprising statement.

In all fairness, Nancy Pelosi deserves to be chosen Speaker of the House by the Democrats. If they give her a hard time, perhaps we will add some Republican votes. She has earned this great honor!

A cynical attempt to get Pelosi chosen Speaker again just so the Republicans still have a Two Minutes Hate they can rile up the base with.

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:29 am

Remedy the mismanagement of California's forests...now? When the forests are on fire?

That's...uh...that's impossible...
He/Him

beating the devil
we never run from the devil
we never summon the devil
we never hide from from the devil
we never

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:30 am

Ifreann wrote:

Remedy the mismanagement of California's forests...now? When the forests are on fire?

That's...uh...that's impossible...

That's the point. Set an impossible target to justify yanking all federal funding to the state because reasons.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General