NATION

PASSWORD

On the Dachau Massacre

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Were the GIs in the right?

Yes, the SS was evil and deserved every bit of what they got.
34%
Yes, though putting the SS to trial would have been preferential.
24%
No, though it is understandable why they would take part in killing the guards, they should have left the sentencing to the courts
28%
No, the GIs are no better than the Nazis they killed and deserved to be put on trial for war crimes.
13%

Total votes : 267

Uxupox
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Uxupox » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:42 pm

Khataiy wrote:
Uxupox wrote:
That is absolutely unbelievable as there is no evidence nor there has been any suggestions that the pact of steel included Japan.

The thing is though, choosing Japan over China was rather illogical on Hitler's end.

His mistake which means our benefit.
Economic Left/Right: 0.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.00

Dogmeat
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:42 pm

Kanadorika wrote:
Dogmeat wrote:Yes, but "plausible" was at the onset before Wikipedia had been brought in. Quit making more out of this then there is.

The Wikipedia link was included upon posting the OP.

But not attesting to the quoted section of the Daily Mail. You should never use the Daily Mail as a source. It's sensationalist clickbate. That's all I was telling you.
Last edited by Dogmeat on Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Immortal God Dog
Hey boy, know any tricks?
天狗

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:42 pm

Khataiy wrote:
Sovaal wrote:The fucking Japanese carrier fleet was on its way to Pearl Harbor during the fucking negotiations. I’m no fan of FDR but he didn’t drag us into the fucking war. This is jut pathetic.

Yet again FDR armed the British and French for no reason and actively took steps to provoke Japan politically.

France and the UK are far more preferable neighbors than the Nazis were.
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

US-SSR
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

bad people on both sides

Postby US-SSR » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:42 pm

It was George S. Patton, in his capacity as Military Governor of Bavaria, who dismissed the charges brought against the US soldiers responsible for the atrocious killings of SS guards at Dachau. He conveniently died in a car crash some time later. The next of kin of those killed, perhaps the German government, might bring charges either in Germany or the US. However, one assumes most if not all of the perpetrators have also conveniently expired.

Which raises the question, how many responsible for, or witnesses to, or complicit in, the massacre of millions of Jews, Gypsys, political resisters, Russians, POWs, homosexuals, individuals with disabilities, etc. etc. etc. have similarly escaped justice? How many responsible for numberless atrocities throughout history?

It's important and significant to remember what happened to the SS guards at Dachau. It's important and significant to resolve that such things not be allowed to happen again, or to go unpunished if they do (remember Mai Lai?).

But in the grand scheme of things we are arguing over a drop of blood in a bucketfull.
8:46

We're not going to control the pandemic!

It is a slaughter and not just a political dispute.

"The scraps of narcissism, the rotten remnants of conspiracy theories, the offal of sour grievance, the half-eaten bits of resentment flow by. They do not cohere. But they move in the same, insistent current of self, self, self."

Khataiy
Minister

Founded: Apr 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Khataiy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:43 pm

Strength and Order wrote:
Khataiy wrote:That's exactly what I mean by standoffish and quite frankly just plain stupid, why bother even making a statement like that? The best thing to have done would have been to either stay silent or make a call for an immediate cease-fire and leave it at that.

So if your country was invaded by an aggressive foreign power bent on expansion you wouldn't want anyone to help you out? Duly noted.

That's not what I am saying at all, my country wouldn't have been invaded in the first place because I wouldn't have gone around acting like a tough guy with a badass facade that makes me look like an idiot on an international scale.

Bakery Hill
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Bakery Hill » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:43 pm

Khataiy wrote:
Auze wrote:"Fascist madmen are seeking to take over the world, and Britain and France are our Friends", is not a reason?

That's exactly what I mean by standoffish and quite frankly just plain stupid, why bother even making a statement like that? The best thing to have done would have been to either stay silent or make a call for an immediate cease-fire and leave it at that.

maybe they should have gone to the league of nations!
Founder of the Committee for Proletarian Morality - Winner of Best Communist Award 2018 - Godfather of NSG Syndicalism

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:44 pm

Khataiy wrote:
Sovaal wrote:So we should have just left the Nazis in charge eh?

Anyway, you’re right about one thing; we didn’t go far enough east.

I think things would be a lot more peaceful today

Doubt it. I would fully expect a Cold War between the Axis and what remains of the Allies as the two battled over expansion into Africa, South America, and Asia.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

Rhodevus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 19, 2013
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Rhodevus » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:44 pm

"Like any President, FDR’s foremost responsibility was to maintain the security of the United States against possible attack. Given the threats posed by fascist Germany and Japan, the relative size of our armed forces in comparison with other states and the reluctance of an “isolationist” Congress to authorize military expenditures in peacetime, this proved to be no easy task. Indeed, in June of 1939 the roughly 180,000-man US Army ranked 19th in the world-smaller than Portugal’s! To bolster America’s security, FDR not only called for an increase in the size of the nation’s military budget, and the repeal of the arms embargo provisions within the 1930s neutrality legislation, he also quietly sought to strengthen America’s ties with Great Britain-the one nation whose combined military, political and economic strength might serve as a bulwark against a possible Axis aggression in the Western Hemisphere.

Given the United States’ status today as the world’s lone superpower, it is hard for most Americans to imagine a time when we might look to Great Britain and the Royal Navy as America’s first line of defense; yet on the eve of the Second World War until well into the early 1940s, Great Britain’s combined military strength exceeded that of the United States."
-http://rooseveltinstitute.org/special-relationship-between-great-britain-and-united-states-began-fdr/

Essentiallt, the USA relied on great britain as the first line of defense against any European threat. FDR helped arm great britain and france because the nazis were seen as a legitimate threat to the US, and if they defeated Great Britain, then war could potentially reach North America. Better to send in some armaments and machines to help out, rather than face a potential war on home soil.

And yes, if you think back now, we wouldn't believe that Nazi germany would attack the USA. but at that time, it was a possibility.
She/Her
IATA Member Embassy Character Creation 101
Do not argue against me, you will lose...or win, depending on the situation
The Official Madman with a Box
Rodrania wrote:Rhod, I f*cking love you, man. <3
Divergia wrote:The Canadian Polar-Potato-Moose-Cat has spoken!
Beiluxia wrote:Is it just me, or does your name keep getting better the more I see it?

Factbook
International Exchange Student Program Member
XENOS MEMBER OF THE MULTI-SPECIES UNION!

Kanadorika
Minister

Founded: May 04, 2015
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kanadorika » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:44 pm

Dogmeat wrote:
Kanadorika wrote:
The Wikipedia link was included upon posting the OP.

But not attesting to the quoted section of the Daily Mail. You should never use the Daily Mail as a source. It's sensationalist clickbate. That's all I was telling you.

Actual sources back up what was included in the Daily Mail article, including a diary by one of the men who was there. It's hard to sensationalize a historical event of this type. Its inherently a sensational story.
Last edited by Kanadorika on Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
☠ JOIN ETHARIA. I'M NO LONGER ASKING ☠
Almost exclusively on discord these days. Everything here is outdated.
Welcome to Kanadorika! From the Arctic tundra of Leirhofn to the sandy dunes of Gulland, we have it all.
Treko wrote:"You look Kanadorikan! The women are usually tall with big breasts! you fit that description."

Strength and Order
Diplomat

Founded: May 13, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Strength and Order » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:45 pm

Khataiy wrote:
So if your country was invaded by an aggressive foreign power bent on expansion you wouldn't want anyone to help you out? Duly noted.

That's not what I am saying at all, my country wouldn't have been invaded in the first place because I wouldn't have gone around acting like a tough guy with a badass facade that makes me look like an idiot on an international scale.

So Czechoslovakia, Poland, Austria, China, Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, Denmark, and Norway were all "acting like tough guys with badass facades"? Interesting.
Are YOU an enemy of HYDRA?
Pro & Anti
This is an ALTERNATE UNIVERSE HYDRA; It was not the Nazi science division nor does it worship Hive, who does not exist in this universe. Please read the factbooks before making ignorant comments chocking it down to "Nazi Cultists".

8 1 9 12 8 25 4 18 1

Khataiy
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Khataiy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:45 pm

Sovaal wrote:
Khataiy wrote:Yet again FDR armed the British and French for no reason and actively took steps to provoke Japan politically.

France and the UK are far more preferable neighbors than the Nazis were.

That's a matter of perspective, and one based on decades of post-WW2 education, history belongs to the victors so that's the only reason you'd be saying that, the truth is no one can know for sure if that's actually the case, because if America never got involved and the Nazis won we'd either be discussing today how we should have or how good it is that the US didn't, my personal theory is that things would be better if the US didn't.

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:46 pm

US-SSR wrote:It was George S. Patton, in his capacity as Military Governor of Bavaria, who dismissed the charges brought against the US soldiers responsible for the atrocious killings of SS guards at Dachau. He conveniently died in a car crash some time later. The next of kin of those killed, perhaps the German government, might bring charges either in Germany or the US. However, one assumes most if not all of the perpetrators have also conveniently expired.

Which raises the question, how many responsible for, or witnesses to, or complicit in, the massacre of millions of Jews, Gypsys, political resisters, Russians, POWs, homosexuals, individuals with disabilities, etc. etc. etc. have similarly escaped justice? How many responsible for numberless atrocities throughout history?

It's important and significant to remember what happened to the SS guards at Dachau. It's important and significant to resolve that such things not be allowed to happen again, or to go unpunished if they do (remember Mai Lai?).

But in the grand scheme of things we are arguing over a drop of blood in a bucketfull.

Mai also had a bunch of bastards who killed innocent men women’s ans children escape justice. These men killed murders who where responsible for the deaths of millions. I really can’t see a fucking moral equivalent here.

Winston Churchill, 1947.

Khataiy
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Khataiy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:46 pm

Khataiy wrote:That's not what I am saying at all, my country wouldn't have been invaded in the first place because I wouldn't have gone around acting like a tough guy with a badass facade that makes me look like an idiot on an international scale.

So Czechoslovakia, Poland, Austria, China, Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, Denmark, and Norway were all "acting like tough guys with badass facades"? Interesting.

No they weren't and that's irrelevant because we are talking about FDR who made some really dumb choices in words.

Dogmeat
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:46 pm

Kanadorika wrote:
Dogmeat wrote:But not attesting to the quoted section of the Daily Mail. You should never use the Daily Mail as a source. It's sensationalist clickbate. That's all I was telling you.

Actual sources back up what was included in the Daily Mail article, including a diary by one of the men who was there. It's hard to sensationalize a historical event of this type. Its inherently a sensational story.

Again, I am not disputing your historicity. I'm saying "don't use them."

They're at best worthless, and often counterproductive.
Immortal God Dog
Hey boy, know any tricks?
天狗

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:47 pm

Khataiy wrote:
Sovaal wrote:France and the UK are far more preferable neighbors than the Nazis were.

That's a matter of perspective, and one based on decades of post-WW2 education, history belongs to the victors so that's the only reason you'd be saying that, the truth is no one can know for sure if that's actually the case, because if America never got involved and the Nazis won we'd either be discussing today how we should have or how good it is that the US didn't, my personal theory is that things would be better if the US didn't.

A fucking ‘matter of perspective’ if you’re a fucking white supremacist fascist maybe. And I serially doubt things would been better. A lot less Jews in Eurasia, which may be what you want.

Winston Churchill, 1947.

Bakery Hill
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Bakery Hill » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:47 pm

Khataiy wrote:
Sovaal wrote:France and the UK are far more preferable neighbors than the Nazis were.

Your personal theory is very misinformed on a number of levels. But primarily it's probably your values that are the most warped.
Founder of the Committee for Proletarian Morality - Winner of Best Communist Award 2018 - Godfather of NSG Syndicalism

Strength and Order
Diplomat

Founded: May 13, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Strength and Order » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:47 pm

Khataiy wrote:

No they weren't and that's irrelevant because we are talking about FDR who made some really dumb choices in words.

No, we're talking about an appropriate response to unwarranted and blatant imperialism.
Are YOU an enemy of HYDRA?
Pro & Anti
This is an ALTERNATE UNIVERSE HYDRA; It was not the Nazi science division nor does it worship Hive, who does not exist in this universe. Please read the factbooks before making ignorant comments chocking it down to "Nazi Cultists".

8 1 9 12 8 25 4 18 1

Khataiy
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Khataiy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:48 pm

Sovaal wrote:
Khataiy wrote:I think things would be a lot more peaceful today

Doubt it. I would fully expect a Cold War between the Axis and what remains of the Allies as the two battled over expansion into Africa, South America, and Asia.

The cold war occurred because the US empowered the Soviet Union, the development of atomic weapons by the US also added to the problems, in this scenario the US would have no need to develop atomic weapons because it wouldn't have been involved in the war, and the US wouldn't have had any issues in post war dividing and conquering like the way it did with the Soviets, there would have been no iron curtain, no arms race, and no proxy conflicts.

Reutoa
Minister

Founded: Jan 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Reutoa » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:48 pm

Khataiy wrote:

I highly doubt everything would be all heaven over in Europe & Asia if the Axis had Militarily defeated the Allies, if anything the Axis would most likely start a Cold War with the remaining Allies and try take over the World.
The Presidential Republic of Reutoa
19 year old Rockefeller Republican, College Student studying History to be a Teacher, Former Campaign Aide, aspiring pescatarian

WELD 2020
"Every time you stand up for an ideal, you send forth a tiny ripple of hope."
-Senator Robert F. Kennedy

Every post made before August 2020 is not canon for this Nation.

Kanadorika
Minister

Founded: May 04, 2015
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kanadorika » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:49 pm

Khataiy wrote:

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw, and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind." - Sir Arthur Harris
☠ JOIN ETHARIA. I'M NO LONGER ASKING ☠
Almost exclusively on discord these days. Everything here is outdated.
Welcome to Kanadorika! From the Arctic tundra of Leirhofn to the sandy dunes of Gulland, we have it all.
Treko wrote:"You look Kanadorikan! The women are usually tall with big breasts! you fit that description."

Khataiy
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Khataiy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:50 pm

Bakery Hill wrote:
Khataiy wrote:That's a matter of perspective, and one based on decades of post-WW2 education, history belongs to the victors so that's the only reason you'd be saying that, the truth is no one can know for sure if that's actually the case, because if America never got involved and the Nazis won we'd either be discussing today how we should have or how good it is that the US didn't, my personal theory is that things would be better if the US didn't.

Your personal theory is very misinformed on a number of levels. But primarily it's probably your values that are the most warped.

Being pragmatic and realistic is warped? I'm sorry I'm not an immature idiot with a trigger finger in the body of an old cripple.

Bakery Hill
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Bakery Hill » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:50 pm

Khataiy wrote:
Sovaal wrote:Doubt it. I would fully expect a Cold War between the Axis and what remains of the Allies as the two battled over expansion into Africa, South America, and Asia.

The cold war occurred because the US empowered the Soviet Union, the development of atomic weapons by the US also added to the problems, in this scenario the US would have no need to develop atomic weapons because it wouldn't have been involved in the war, and the US wouldn't have had any issues in post war dividing and conquering like the way it did with the Soviets, there would have been no iron curtain, no arms race, and no proxy conflicts.

Yes. The Nazis would have amassed all the power and capabilities they could and demilitarised. There would be no conflict between two superpowers.

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:51 pm

Khataiy wrote:
Sovaal wrote:Doubt it. I would fully expect a Cold War between the Axis and what remains of the Allies as the two battled over expansion into Africa, South America, and Asia.

The Manhattan project was well underway before 1941, and the Nazis as a similar project in the works as well. Honestly either your just in denial or purposefully trying to make the Nazis look better.

Winston Churchill, 1947.

Bakery Hill
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Bakery Hill » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:51 pm

Khataiy wrote:
Bakery Hill wrote:Your personal theory is very misinformed on a number of levels. But primarily it's probably your values that are the most warped.

Being pragmatic and realistic is warped? I'm sorry I'm not an immature idiot with a trigger finger in the body of an old cripple.

Actually thinking the world would be better if Generalplan Ost had been enacted is warped.

Khataiy
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Khataiy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:51 pm

Reutoa wrote:
Khataiy wrote:That's a matter of perspective, and one based on decades of post-WW2 education, history belongs to the victors so that's the only reason you'd be saying that, the truth is no one can know for sure if that's actually the case, because if America never got involved and the Nazis won we'd either be discussing today how we should have or how good it is that the US didn't, my personal theory is that things would be better if the US didn't.

I highly doubt everything would be all heaven over in Europe & Asia if the Axis had Militarily defeated the Allies, if anything the Axis would most likely start a Cold War with the remaining Allies and try take over the World.

Plausible but things to take into account would be the lack of American involvement in that cold war, as well as potential drifts after the death of Hitler in particular between Germany and Italy I think a cold war between Mussolini and Hitler would be more prevalent much like how after WW2 the Soviets and Americans drifted.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General