NATION

PASSWORD

On the Dachau Massacre

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Were the GIs in the right?

Yes, the SS was evil and deserved every bit of what they got.
34%
Yes, though putting the SS to trial would have been preferential.
24%
No, though it is understandable why they would take part in killing the guards, they should have left the sentencing to the courts
28%
No, the GIs are no better than the Nazis they killed and deserved to be put on trial for war crimes.
13%

Total votes : 267

Kanadorika
Minister

Founded: May 04, 2015
Psychotic Dictatorship

On the Dachau Massacre

Postby Kanadorika » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:43 pm

The Dachau liberation reprisals were a series of incidents in which German prisoners of war were killed by American soldiers and concentration camp internees at the Dachau concentration camp on April 29, 1945, during World War II. It is unclear how many SS members were killed in the incident but most estimates place the number killed at around 35–50. In the days before the camp's liberation SS guards at the camp had forced 7,000 inmates on a death march that resulted in the murder of many from exposure and shooting.[1] When Allied soldiers liberated the camp, their reactions varied from being shocked, horrified, disturbed, and angered by the masses of dead they found and the combativeness of some of the remaining German guards who had initially fired on them and had refused to surrender.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dachau_li ... _reprisals

"American soldiers executed dozens of German guards at the Dachau WWII concentration camp after screaming: 'Let's get those Nazi dogs!'

The US troops opened fire on 50 members of the SS and the Wehrmacht with a machine gun after lining them up and saying: 'Take no prisoners!'

One commander shot dead four other Germans and became so hysterical that his own colonel had to hit him with the butt of his gun to stop him battering a fifth."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -book.html

It's 1945. The war is coming to its end, and American troops stumble upon the Dachau Concentration Camp. What they find leaves them horrified; thousands of corpses littering the camp and thousands more of imprisoned men women and children clinging to life.

Out of utter disgust and anger, the GIs line up the SS guards and begin shooting them. Other Nazis are beaten to a pulp. Even the prisoners jump in and beat their former captives to death.

After the incident, the event was put under investigation as a possible war crime, with court martials being considered for the GIs who took part. Nevertheless, these charges were dropped by General Patton, who burned the papers and believed that the men had done nothing wrong.

Were the GIs guilty of their crimes, and if so, should they have been punished by the law? Or did the SS prison guards deserve their fate as the staff of a concentration camp and mass murderers?

I personally am under the impression that while technically illegal, what the GIs did was the norm in the Eastern and Pacific theaters, where the Geneva and Hague Conventions meant absolutely nothing to those fighting. In major conflicts, all laws of war go out the window and the war becomes a matter of kill or be killed. In the event of the Dachau massacre, it is impossible to feel sympathy for the SS, and quite frankly, I believe they deserved it. If you are going to act like a savage animal, you will be treated like a savage animal.

Could they have awaited trial and execution later on? Perhaps, though how many would escape, commit suicide, have their charges dropped, or even be given light sentences?
☠ JOIN ETHARIA. I'M NO LONGER ASKING ☠
Almost exclusively on discord these days. Everything here is outdated.
Welcome to Kanadorika! From the Arctic tundra of Leirhofn to the sandy dunes of Gulland, we have it all.
Treko wrote:"You look Kanadorikan! The women are usually tall with big breasts! you fit that description."

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:54 pm

Iirc, Dachau has a lot more SS guards than just the thirty odd killed, and the killings where quickly stopped, which imho was unfortuanate. The SS often didn’t show any mercy, so frankly they shouldnt have been given any.
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

Oil exporting People
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Oil exporting People » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:59 pm

On a historical interest note, within a few months American GIs would be siding with German civilians and former military members in what amounted to street battles with Displaced Persons (DPs); most were former inmates of the camps. I forget the work, but I seem to recall a study the U.S. Army did in 1946 and found that soldiers in Germany had rapidly went to a Pro-German stance and expressed contempt for the DPs.
Last edited by Oil exporting People on Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
National Syndicalist
“The blood of the heroes is closer to God than the ink of the philosophers and the prayers of the faithful.” - Julius Evola
Endorsing Greg "Grab 'em by the Neck" Gianforte and Brett "I Like Beer" Kavanaugh for 2020

Kor Tele
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kor Tele » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:01 pm

The guards at Dachau deserved to have their genitals branded with a cauterizer, but that's unlawful. And it should be. Revenge is not law, law is law. Those guards, however pitiful the bastards they were, should have had the eyes of a tribunal on them. Americans should know justice is about granting the most heinous of criminals full due process. And if they're found guilty?
Then the revenge can be enacted.

Vozh
Envoy

Founded: Jul 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Vozh » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:02 pm

The only "crime" was that the GIs stopped shooting.

Bakery Hill
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Bakery Hill » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:03 pm

Oil exporting People wrote:On a historical interest note, within a few months American GIs would be siding with German civilians and former military members in what amounted to street battles with Displaced Persons (DPs); most were former inmates of the camps. I forget the work, but I seem to recall a study the U.S. Army did a study in 1946 and found that soldiers in Germany had rapidly went to a Pro-German stance and expressed contempt for the DPs.

I'd be interested to see the work. But that seems to be the case for any displaced group sadly enough. They become a Problem and that breeds resentment.
Founder of the Committee for Proletarian Morality - Winner of Best Communist Award 2018 - Godfather of NSG Syndicalism

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:04 pm

Oil exporting People wrote:On a historical interest note, within a few months American GIs would be siding with German civilians and former military members in what amounted to street battles with Displaced Persons (DPs); most were former inmates of the camps. I forget the work, but I seem to recall a study the U.S. Army did a study in 1946 and found that soldiers in Germany had rapidly went to a Pro-German stance and expressed contempt for the DPs.

Not surprising really.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

Runestasia
Secretary

Founded: Jul 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Runestasia » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:04 pm

"American soldiers executed dozens of German guards at the Dachau WWII concentration camp after screaming: 'Let's get those Nazi dogs!'

The US troops opened fire on 50 members of the SS and the Wehrmacht with a machine gun after lining them up and saying: 'Take no prisoners!'

One commander shot dead four other Germans and became so hysterical that his own colonel had to hit him with the butt of his gun to stop him battering a fifth."

The colonel should have let him shoot more.

The Burke Islands
Envoy

Founded: Apr 25, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Burke Islands » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:07 pm

Can’t say I blame them, I might have snapped and done the same thing under the circumstances, but that doesn’t make it right. They shouldn’t have taken the law into their own hands.
❤️~Remember, no one will ever be able to hate you more than you already hate yourself~❤️

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:09 pm

Sovaal wrote:

Not surprising really.

American soldiers were also responsible for a lot of rape in France post-liberation.. but..

..but.. I tend to find these debates to be 'see, both sides were equal' as a kind of excuse for the Nazis.. the antonym of 'fine gentlemen on both sides' approach.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Uxupox
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Uxupox » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:09 pm

Can't really blame them tbh. Would have probably gone berserk as well seeing that shit.
Economic Left/Right: 0.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.00

Khataiy
Minister

Founded: Apr 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Khataiy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:11 pm

Hypocritical and vindictive

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:13 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Sovaal wrote:Not surprising really.

American soldiers were also responsible for a lot of rape in France post-liberation.. but..

..but.. I tend to find these debates to be 'see, both sides were equal' as a kind of excuse for the Nazis.. the antonym of 'fine gentlemen on both sides' approach.

I’m saying it’s not surprising because these guys came from a society where white supremacy was alive and well. Just one that wasn’t (actively) commiting vast ethnic cleansings.

Anyway, I’d imagine France and American occupied Germany where absolute vacations compared to Red held territory.

Winston Churchill, 1947.

Strength and Order
Diplomat

Founded: May 13, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Strength and Order » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:13 pm

Understandable, but still unlawful.
Are YOU an enemy of HYDRA?
Pro & Anti
This is an ALTERNATE UNIVERSE HYDRA; It was not the Nazi science division nor does it worship Hive, who does not exist in this universe. Please read the factbooks before making ignorant comments chocking it down to "Nazi Cultists".

8 1 9 12 8 25 4 18 1

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:15 pm

Khataiy wrote:Hypocritical and vindictive

The SS often executed prisoners. Anyway, the killing was stopped pretty quickly. And honestly it was a far better fate than they deserved.

Winston Churchill, 1947.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:15 pm

Sovaal wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

I’m saying it’s not surprising because these guys came from a society where white supremacy was alive and well. Just one that wasn’t (actively) commiting vast ethnic cleansings.

Anyway, I’d imagine France and American occupied Germany where absolute vacations compared to Red held territory.

Yeah, there's a quote in Second Hand Time by Svetlana Alexeivich by a Russian soldier who says something along the lines of 'any baby born in Berlin in 1946 was half Russian'.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Khataiy
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Khataiy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:15 pm

Strength and Order wrote:Understandable, but still unlawful.

Your point is? So if it was "lawful" it would be okay because some random intellectual said so?

Dogmeat
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:15 pm

I find this story plausible, but the Daily Mail is not a reliable source for anything, and especially not this given their Nazi sympathies.
Immortal God Dog
Hey boy, know any tricks?
天狗

Strength and Order
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Strength and Order » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:16 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Sovaal wrote:Not surprising really.

Are you implying that soldiers are people and can be just as morally ambiguous as civilians? Madness.
Pro & Anti
This is an ALTERNATE UNIVERSE HYDRA; It was not the Nazi science division nor does it worship Hive, who does not exist in this universe. Please read the factbooks before making ignorant comments chocking it down to "Nazi Cultists".

8 1 9 12 8 25 4 18 1

Uxupox
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Uxupox » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:16 pm

The prisoners themselves literally swam across the whole entire compound and killed every German SS Soldier that they could get their hands on. A vengeance unfulfilled.
Economic Left/Right: 0.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.00

Khataiy
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Khataiy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:16 pm

Sovaal wrote:

The SS often executed prisoners. Anyway, the killing was stopped pretty quickly. And honestly it was a far better fate than they deserved.

Yet again vindictive and hypocritical, America should have never gotten involved.

Strength and Order
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Strength and Order » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:17 pm

Khataiy wrote:
Strength and Order wrote:Understandable, but still unlawful.

Your point is? So if it was "lawful" it would be okay because some random intellectual said so?

The Laws of War do not change.
Pro & Anti

8 1 9 12 8 25 4 18 1

Rhodevus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 19, 2013
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Rhodevus » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:17 pm

Yup. Completely understandable.
She/Her
IATA Member Embassy Character Creation 101
Do not argue against me, you will lose...or win, depending on the situation
The Official Madman with a Box
Rodrania wrote:Rhod, I f*cking love you, man. <3
Divergia wrote:The Canadian Polar-Potato-Moose-Cat has spoken!
Beiluxia wrote:Is it just me, or does your name keep getting better the more I see it?

Factbook
International Exchange Student Program Member
XENOS MEMBER OF THE MULTI-SPECIES UNION!

Dogmeat
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:17 pm

Khataiy wrote:
Sovaal wrote:The SS often executed prisoners. Anyway, the killing was stopped pretty quickly. And honestly it was a far better fate than they deserved.

Yet again vindictive and hypocritical, America should have never gotten involved.

For the record, Germany declared war on them.
Immortal God Dog
Hey boy, know any tricks?
天狗

Khataiy
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Khataiy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:17 pm

Uxupox wrote:

The prisoners themselves literally swam across the whole entire compound and killed every German SS Soldier that they could get their hands on. A vengeance unfulfilled.

That's more reasonable than the US soldiers doing it, considering they were actual victims.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General