NATION

PASSWORD

End the lies: The Confederacy was about slavery

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:39 pm

Raul Caribe wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:Article IV, Sec. 3:
(3) ...In all such territory the institution of negro slavery, as it now exists in the Confederate States, shall be recognized and protected by Congress and by the Territorial government...

those all protect slavery they do not mandate it. the only one that could even be seen as a mandate would be the Article IV, Sec. 3: but i see it as a further protection if the people so desire with words like may i see no mandate and as a territory at that time as it is now is covered under federal law this is only a further protection.

wtf are you on about?

Derscon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Derscon » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:47 pm

Phenia wrote:If war is murder, then by shooting and killing people at Fort Sumter, the Confederacy was the first to start murdering.

I actually don't think anyone died. ;)

And sure, I never denied that the Confederacy fired the first shots. However, by sending warships into sovereign waters, the Union effectively trespassed while armed and clearly threatening SC. SC was simply taking measures to prevent itself after its property - its waters - had been violated.

You then blaming Lincoln for that is, apart from being preposterous by any reasoning,

If "by any reasoning" you mean "Lincoln cultists and Union worshipers," than yes.

indeed a double standard since by blaming all the "murders" on him you're excusing the confederates of wrongdoing.

Not quite. I can blame Lincoln in the same reason I can blame the government and the Federal Reserve for creating the mandates and generating the moral hazard that caused the recent financial collapse.

It's a bit like arguing that a rape victim "provoked" her attacker and then that you're not excusing the rapist. You're just saying she's guilty of provoking him. ;) It doesn't fly. You're defending the right of the south to "murder" people by blaming every death on Lincoln.

No, actually, it's nothing like that, because the Union wasn't just an innocent victim.
NationStates remains an excellent educational tool for children. It can teach you exactly just how far people will go to gain extrajudicially what they could never gain legitimately. ~ Questers
And congratulations to Derscon, who has finally codified the exact basis on which NS issues work. ~ Ardchoille

瞞天過海

Raul Caribe
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Raul Caribe » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:48 pm

Phenia wrote:If war is murder, then by shooting and killing people at Fort Sumter, the Confederacy was the first to start murdering. You then blaming Lincoln for that is, apart from being preposterous by any reasoning, indeed a double standard since by blaming all the "murders" on him you're excusing the confederates of wrongdoing.

It's a bit like arguing that a rape victim "provoked" her attacker and then that you're not excusing the rapist. You're just saying she's guilty of provoking him. ;) It doesn't fly. You're defending the right of the south to "murder" people by blaming every death on Lincoln.

except the only death was one confederate horse. they didn't kill any people.

http://www.nps.gov/history/hps/abpp//battles/sc001.htm

Sdaeriji
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sdaeriji » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:49 pm

Derscon wrote:
Phenia wrote:If war is murder, then by shooting and killing people at Fort Sumter, the Confederacy was the first to start murdering.

Two Union soldiers died due to an explosion set off from a spark from the changing of the flag ceremony after the fort surrendered. They were the first official casualties of the Civil War.
Farnhamia wrote:What part of the four-letter word "Rules" are you having trouble with?
Farnhamia wrote:four-letter word "Rules"

Raul Caribe
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Raul Caribe » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:51 pm

Free Soviets wrote:
Raul Caribe wrote:
(3) ...In all such territory the institution of negro slavery, as it now exists in the Confederate States, shall be recognized and protected by Congress and by the Territorial government...

those all protect slavery they do not mandate it. the only one that could even be seen as a mandate would be the Article IV, Sec. 3: but i see it as a further protection if the people so desire with words like may i see no mandate and as a territory at that time as it is now is covered under federal law this is only a further protection.

wtf are you on about?

all im getting to is cat is misleading people saying the south mandated slavery. read the entire conversation then you would not have had to ask.

Derscon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Derscon » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:51 pm

Sdaeriji wrote:
Derscon wrote:

Two Union soldiers died due to an explosion set off from a spark from the changing of the flag ceremony after the fort surrendered. They were the first official casualties of the Civil War.

Interesting fact (no sarcasm, srs). Wouldn't that count as an accidental death, though?
NationStates remains an excellent educational tool for children. It can teach you exactly just how far people will go to gain extrajudicially what they could never gain legitimately. ~ Questers
And congratulations to Derscon, who has finally codified the exact basis on which NS issues work. ~ Ardchoille

瞞天過海

Sdaeriji
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sdaeriji » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:52 pm

Derscon wrote:
Sdaeriji wrote:
Derscon wrote:

Interesting fact (no sarcasm, srs). Wouldn't that count as an accidental death, though?

Certainly. But they're still the first recorded official deaths after hostilities had begun.
Farnhamia wrote:What part of the four-letter word "Rules" are you having trouble with?

Tech-gnosis
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 03, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Tech-gnosis » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:54 pm

Derscon wrote:And sure, I never denied that the Confederacy fired the first shots. However, by sending warships into sovereign waters, the Union effectively trespassed while armed and clearly threatening SC. SC was simply taking measures to prevent itself after its property - its waters - had been violated.

Oh please. By seceding SC and by extenstion the CSA provoked an attempt by the Union to restore itself.

If "by any reasoning" you mean "Lincoln cultists and Union worshipers," than yes.

Like the reasoning of the "crazy CSA cultists"?

Not quite. I can blame Lincoln in the same reason I can blame the government and the Federal Reserve for creating the mandates and generating the moral hazard that caused the recent financial collapse.

Seems to me like the CSA is to blame for any murders and property destruction.

No, actually, it's nothing like that, because the Union wasn't just an innocent victim.

And the CSA wasnt a victim at all.

Raul Caribe
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Raul Caribe » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:55 pm

Sdaeriji wrote:
Derscon wrote:

which source? the wiki site? or the .GOV site?

Derscon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Derscon » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:56 pm

Tech-gnosis wrote:Oh please. By seceding SC and by extension the CSA provoked an attempt by the Union to restore itself.

By defending oneself against a cop beating you, you provoke more beatings.

Seems to me like the CSA is to blame for any murders and property destruction.

Sherman would like to have a word with you.

And the CSA wasn't a victim at all.

Victim? Nah. States are never victims. :3

瞞天過海

Derscon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Derscon » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:57 pm

Sdaeriji wrote:
Derscon wrote:
Sdaeriji wrote:
Derscon wrote:

Certainly. But they're still the first recorded official deaths after hostilities had begun.

瞞天過海

Sdaeriji
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sdaeriji » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:58 pm

Raul Caribe wrote:
Sdaeriji wrote:
Derscon wrote:

The source is my brain, but I guess I can dig up a link if it's really an issue.

The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:59 pm

Raul Caribe wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:
Raul Caribe wrote:

wtf are you on about?

all im getting to is cat is misleading people saying the south mandated slavery. read the entire conversation then you would not have had to ask.

Jumping Jesus on a pogo-stick!

You are overreacting to a misreading of a flippant bit of hyperbole in the OP. What I said was:

2. Constitution of the Confederate States of America

The CSA Constitution is nearly identitical to that of the the U.S. Constitution at the time of secession. Curiously, however, you will search in vain for any significant increase in the rights of states or individuals under the CSA Constitution. Four very, very minor differences are made regarding the powers of states -- the power to enter into treaties with other states to regulate waterways, the power to tax foreign and domestic ships that use their waterways, the power to impeach federally-appointed state officials, and the power to distribute "bills of credit." These are hardly major victories for state's rights. Furthermore, nothing in the CSA makes any provision for secession.

On the other hand, sweeping new powers are granted to the CSA federal government. Foremost, is that states are REQUIRED to allow slavery. And any new state joining the Confederacy is to be a SLAVE state. So much for state's rights on that issue. Four different clauses stop just short of making owning slaves mandatory.
(bold at end added)

I thought I was clearly joking regarding the CSA requiring individuals to own slaves (and I did say "stop just short of"). The point, which you appear to have misssed, is that the CSA required all member states to allow slavery and required that any new states be slave states. Thus, no reasonable person can argue that the CSA was formed to protect the rights of states to decided whether or not to allow slavery. Duh.
I quit (again).
The Altani Confederacy wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:With that, I am done with these shenanigans. Do as thou wilt.

Can't miss you until you're gone, Ambassador. Seriously, your delegation is like one of those stores that has a "Going Out Of Business" sale for twenty years. Stay or go, already.*snip*
"Don't give me no shit because . . . I've been Tired . . ." ~ Pixies
With that, "he put his boots on, he took a face from the Ancient Gallery, and he walked on down the Hall . . ."

Derscon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Derscon » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:00 pm

Sdaeriji wrote:
Raul Caribe wrote:
Sdaeriji wrote:
Derscon wrote:

The source is my brain, but I guess I can dig up a link if it's really an issue.

Liberal bias -_-

瞞天過海

Phenia
Senator

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Phenia » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:00 pm

Derscon wrote:

And sure, I never denied that the Confederacy fired the first shots. However, by sending warships into sovereign waters, the Union effectively trespassed while armed and clearly threatening SC. SC was simply taking measures to prevent itself after its property - its waters - had been violated.

Hypothetically I declare my garage to be its own country. Now if the police come they are INVADING and I have a right to kill anyone in the US to protect my sovereignty. Every murder will be on.... uhm, the US government's hands, not mine.
You are fine with all of this and the reasoning for it?

You then blaming Lincoln for that is, apart from being preposterous by any reasoning,

I meant any reasoning, including your own adorably progressive and retroactively-applied morality "war is murders" argument.

indeed a double standard since by blaming all the "murders" on him you're excusing the confederates of wrongdoing.

What reason? All you're telling me is you're just as wrong with your economic position as you are with your position on Lincoln. Murder is not the same thing as a financial collapse.

Oh, it's not like blaming the victim because you think the victim deserves blame? Fascinating rebuttal man! :lol:

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:01 pm

Those power increases of the State's were pretty significant at the time.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Sdaeriji
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sdaeriji » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:02 pm

Derscon wrote:
Sdaeriji wrote:
Raul Caribe wrote:
Sdaeriji wrote:
Derscon wrote:

Liberal bias -_-

inorite

During the formal surrender of Fort Sumter Private Daniel Hough dies when the cannon he was loading (for the Union's 100-gun salute to the U.S. flag) discharges prematurely. He is the first man to die in the Civil War. A second man is mortally wounded.

http://blueandgraytrail.com/date/April_14

I can't believe I was actually asked to source something so utterly trivial. Literally. It was just a point of trivia.

Tech-gnosis
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Tech-gnosis » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:05 pm

Derscon wrote:By defending oneself against a cop beating you, you provoke more beatings.

If you punch a police officer and then resist arrest then don't expect to get off without any injuries.

Sherman would like to have a word with you.

I'd like to have a word with him.

Victim? Nah. States are never victims. :3

I know of no Slave states that provoked civil wars who are victims.

Derscon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Derscon » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:06 pm

Phenia wrote:Hypothetically I declare my garage to be its own country. Now if the police come they are INVADING and I have a right to kill anyone in the US to protect my sovereignty. Every murder will be on.... uhm, the US government's hands, not mine.
You are fine with all of this and the reasoning for it?

I'm not fine with it because you want to kill anyone in the US to protect your sovereignty. Obviously, defending your property from the invasion of an aggressive armed force though, is perfectly legitimate.

What reason? All you're telling me is you're just as wrong with your economic position as you are with your position on Lincoln. Murder is not the same thing as a financial collapse.

But the mandates and moral hazard is the same situation. Since this thread isn't about the economic collapse, I won't get into it. I'll take it you've never heard of the term "moral hazard?"

Oh, it's not like blaming the victim because you think the victim deserves blame? Fascinating rebuttal man! :lol:

Oh yeah, because the Union was obviously perfect in morality and Lincoln was a wonderful angel. Those evil, dirty southerners were the only thing wrong with the case.

No person who has even the feintest idea of that time period actually believes that shit. It's not a rape analogy at all.

瞞天過海

Tech-gnosis
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Tech-gnosis » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:06 pm

Derscon wrote:
Sdaeriji wrote:
Raul Caribe wrote:
Sdaeriji wrote:
Derscon wrote:

Liberal bias -_-

Just like reality

Derscon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Derscon » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:06 pm

Sdaeriji wrote:
Derscon wrote:
Sdaeriji wrote:
Raul Caribe wrote:
Sdaeriji wrote:
Derscon wrote:

Liberal bias -_-

inorite

During the formal surrender of Fort Sumter Private Daniel Hough dies when the cannon he was loading (for the Union's 100-gun salute to the U.S. flag) discharges prematurely. He is the first man to die in the Civil War. A second man is mortally wounded.

http://blueandgraytrail.com/date/April_14

I can't believe I was actually asked to source something so utterly trivial. Literally. It was just a point of trivia.

I lol'd a bit.

瞞天過海

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:06 pm

Tech-gnosis wrote:
Derscon wrote:
Sdaeriji wrote:
Raul Caribe wrote:
Sdaeriji wrote:
Derscon wrote:

Liberal bias -_-

Just like reality

Wait a minute....

Derscon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Derscon » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:08 pm

Tech-gnosis wrote:If you punch a police officer and then resist arrest then don't expect to get off without any injuries.

Hey, when the cop is pushing you into a corner and shoving you against a wall, what are you gonna do, just sit and take it?

I'd like to have a word with him.

I hear he's coming in for coffee Next Thursday.

I know of no Slave states that provoked civil wars who are victims.

I was more making a commentary that governments are immoral by nature, but okay.

瞞天過海

Derscon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Derscon » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:09 pm

Maurepas wrote:Wait a minute....

Don't worry about it. He's too busy being an Internet Tough Guy to realize I wasn't serious.

瞞天過海

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:13 pm

Derscon wrote:
Maurepas wrote:Wait a minute....

Don't worry about it. He's too busy being an Internet Tough Guy to realize I wasn't serious.

I was making a joke about applying a liberal/conservative bias to this at all, :lol2:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General