NATION

PASSWORD

End the lies: The Confederacy was about slavery

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:57 pm

Derscon wrote:
Muravyets wrote:> People ignoring the entire OP and claiming that the Civil War wasn't all about slavery.

Good to know you accept anything Cat Tribe posts as dogma. <snip>

False and inflammatory (mildly, more like in-warm-atory, really) dismissive attack indicates that you don't really have a counter-argument, and thus I'm not going to waste time on your point-by-point.

By the way, fyi, TC is a guy.
Kick back at Cafe Muravyets
And check out my other RP, too. (Don't take others' word for it -- see for yourself. ;) )
I agree with Muravyets because she scares me. -- Verdigroth
However, I am still not the topic of this thread.

Natapoc
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Natapoc » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:57 pm

Yootopia wrote:"Rights need oversight shocker"

False "rights" such as the right to keep another person as property often do.
Did you see a ghost?

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:58 pm

Phenia wrote:
Derscon wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Phenia wrote:
Derscon wrote:
Phenia wrote:And furthermore it is nothing but an act of war to then fire on that fort. But even IF as you say that Fort Sumter magically transferred authority and ownership to the Confederacy, then pray tell, why was the Confederacy attacking its own fort? Oh, right- just attacking the troops there. Golly, it's almost like they wanted to start a war or something!

It's also an act of war to send military ships into sovereign waters, which is what the Union was doing.

Whose sovereign waters?

The Confederacy's

Of course, Phenia doesn't recognize the Confederacy as a sovereign nation, and Lincoln was trying to have it both ways...

Hence the problem of who was actually the formal aggressor (although Lincoln was perfectly happy to kill everything in his path to "Preserve the Union," even if it meant murdering 600,000, according to his own definition, American citizens).

The 'formal' aggressor isn't a problem, that was the confederacy. They set in motion the war through secession, and initiated hostilities. Do you really think the secessionists thought that there wouldn't be a war? That would be awfully naive of them if they did.

Well, naive or no, many of them did believe they could avoid it, President Davis foremost among them...

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:58 pm

Parthenon wrote:State's rights...

It just so happens that slavery was one of these rights.

One, not the end all.

my favorite states' right that had to be protected was the right of southern states to force northern ones to return escaped slaves, in violation of the laws and democratic will of those northern states.

huzzah for liberty!

Melkor Unchained
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Melkor Unchained » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:58 pm

Muravyets wrote:
Derscon wrote:
Muravyets wrote:> People ignoring the entire OP and claiming that the Civil War wasn't all about slavery.

False and inflammatory (mildly, more like in-warm-atory, really) dismissive attack indicates that you don't really have a counter-argument, and thus I'm not going to waste time on your point-by-point.

LOL like your entire first post isn't a "dismissive attack?"
"I am the Elder King: Melkor, first and mightiest of the Valar, who was before the world, and made it. The shadow of my purpose lies upon Arda, and all that is in it bends slowly and surely to my will. But upon all whom you love my thought shall weigh as a cloud of Doom, and it shall bring them down into darkness and despair."

Bryn Shander
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Bryn Shander » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:00 pm

Derscon wrote:
Muravyets wrote:which have been organized specifically and solely for the purpose of maintaining slavery as an institution.

>Implying that slavery wasn't just the straw that broke the camel's back

Because nuances never happen in history amirite?

I'd argue that tariffs were a bigger issue. The North favored strong tariffs to protect its manufacturing industry from cheaper and higher quality European goods, and the South favored much weaker or no tariffs to benefit its agricultural economy.
The Jannarii Empire | Founder of the Hermes Alliance
Bryn Shander is the capital city. Jannath is the homeworld. The adjective for the people is Jannarii, while the adjective for the people that live in the capital and the ethnic group that lived in the Kingdom of Bryn Shander before planetary unification is Shanderan. Shanderan is also the name of the language spoken in the Jannarii Empire.
FT Map of the Milky Way | Qustions and Answers concerning the Jannarii Empire.
NS Futuretech on Facebook | NS Futuretech on IRC | NS Balls | NS Trainers
IBNFTW local 8492

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:01 pm

Derscon wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Phenia wrote:
Derscon wrote:
Phenia wrote:And furthermore it is nothing but an act of war to then fire on that fort. But even IF as you say that Fort Sumter magically transferred authority and ownership to the Confederacy, then pray tell, why was the Confederacy attacking its own fort? Oh, right- just attacking the troops there. Golly, it's almost like they wanted to start a war or something!

It's also an act of war to send military ships into sovereign waters, which is what the Union was doing.

Whose sovereign waters?

The Confederacy's

Of course, Phenia doesn't recognize the Confederacy as a sovereign nation, and Lincoln was trying to have it both ways...

Hence the problem of who was actually the formal aggressor (although Lincoln was perfectly happy to kill everything in his path to "Preserve the Union," even if it meant murdering 600,000, according to his own definition, American citizens).

The Confederacy was the formal aggressor because the waters and military properties they claimed had been the legal property of the whole United States of America until a subset of that nation decided to take for their exclusive use what had been available for the use of all Americans. Essentially, they were attempting unilaterally to convert "ours" into "theirs."

If they had managed to secede successfully by political means and to gain control of those waters and facilities by grant or treaty of the nation they had left, and then the Union invaded, you would have an argument. But they didn't do that. They just tried to take the territory, like thieves, and they failed.
And check out my other RP, too. (Don't take others' word for it -- see for yourself. ;) )

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:01 pm

Free Soviets wrote:
Parthenon wrote:State's rights...

It just so happens that slavery was one of these rights.

One, not the end all.

my favorite states' right that had to be protected was the right of southern states to force northern ones to return escaped slaves, in violation of the laws and democratic will of those northern states.

huzzah for liberty!

:hug:
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:01 pm

Phenia wrote:
Palledonia wrote:Who on here is defending the Confederacy?

after reading the OP I don't think anybody could possibly make a reasonable argument that the Confederacy wasn't about slavery. So I think in this thread, the answer will be either no-one or people who simply ignore/dismiss the entire OP. or trolls.

In other words anyone who disagrees with you or as you said trolls.
You know you've made it on NSG when you have a whole thread created around what you said.
On the American/United Statesian matter "I'd suggest Americans go to their nation settings and change their nation prefix to something cooler." - The Kangaroo Republic
http://nswiki.net/index.php?title=Blouman_Empire

DBC26-Winner

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:02 pm

Melkor Unchained wrote:
Muravyets wrote:
Derscon wrote:

*swipes image*
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Phenia
Senator

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Phenia » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:02 pm

Derscon wrote:
Phenia wrote:The 'formal' aggressor isn't a problem, that was the confederacy.

Only if you accept that SC never had the prerogative to leave the Union. Seeing as there is still legitimate debate over this issue, you cannot say that the South was the formal aggressor for certain.

There are debates over many 'issues' which I nonetheless stand by my opinion on. Can I say it for "certain?" Well, no, I can't even say that this reality is "certain." But I'm as certain of my position as you are of yours.

They set in motion the war through secession, and initiated hostilities. Do you really think the secessionists thought that there wouldn't be a war? That would be awfully naive of them if they did.

Totally irrelevant. For the South to be an aggressor simply by leaving, they would have to have wanted the war, and there is no indication that, as a whole, they wanted a war, even if they felt that it would be inevitable (after all, part of the reasoning behind leaving was because the North could and did push them around to no end and get away with it).

If they thought war was inevitable consequence of their secession (and it was) then their wishes are totally irrelevant: they knowingly put in motion events leading to war.

And fired the first shots. You can "debate" the sovereignty of their waters, but opening fire on and killing troops is irrefutably an act of war.

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:03 pm

Derscon wrote:
Muravyets wrote:which have been organized specifically and solely for the purpose of maintaining slavery as an institution.

No, urnotright. Try reading the OP.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:03 pm

Bryn Shander wrote:
Derscon wrote:

I'd argue that tariffs were a bigger issue. The North favored strong tariffs to protect its manufacturing industry from cheaper and higher quality European goods, and the South favored much weaker or no tariffs to benefit its agricultural economy.

Tariffs were a bigger issue 30 years prior, times had changed though, and although both sides had things they were unhappy about with the Nullification Crisis, the issue was no longer at the forefront...

Bryn Shander
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Bryn Shander » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:04 pm

Phenia wrote:If they thought war was inevitable consequence of their secession (and it was) then their wishes are totally irrelevant: they knowingly put in motion events leading to war.

Thus always to tyrants.
The Jannarii Empire | Founder of the Hermes Alliance
Bryn Shander is the capital city. Jannath is the homeworld. The adjective for the people is Jannarii, while the adjective for the people that live in the capital and the ethnic group that lived in the Kingdom of Bryn Shander before planetary unification is Shanderan. Shanderan is also the name of the language spoken in the Jannarii Empire.
FT Map of the Milky Way | Qustions and Answers concerning the Jannarii Empire.
NS Futuretech on Facebook | NS Futuretech on IRC | NS Balls | NS Trainers
IBNFTW local 8492

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:05 pm

Melkor Unchained wrote:
Muravyets wrote:
Melkor Unchained wrote:
Muravyets wrote:> People trying to make slavery look like it was someone else's fault, as if the UK somehow foisted it upon us and the poor southern states were helpless to do anything about it for nearly 100 years after the Revolution.

Can I answer this, or will you get all indignant again?

You can do whatever you want -- after all, it's a free country, thanks in part to Lincoln -- but don't expect me to answer you beyond this post.

Well, seeing as you were technically answering me with your own little straw man, I feel obligated to defend myself. If you're not interested in debate that's fine, but you should probably be prepared for one when you come in and twist someone's remarks into this kind of nonsense.

You were not the only person fronting that argument. You put it up and a few others +1'd to it, so I was referring to a group of people proposing that nonsense, and thus the claim that I was talking to you is wrong. So feel free to defend your position, if you can, but if you do it in the form of picking a fight with me, you will be wasting your time.
Last edited by Muravyets on Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:05 pm

Muravyets wrote:
Derscon wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Phenia wrote:
Derscon wrote:

Whose sovereign waters?

The Confederacy's

The Confederacy was the formal aggressor because the waters and military properties they claimed had been the legal property of the whole United States of America until a subset of that nation decided to take for their exclusive use what had been available for the use of all Americans. Essentially, they were attempting unilaterally to convert "ours" into "theirs."

If they had managed to secede successfully by political means and to gain control of those waters and facilities by grant or treaty of the nation they had left, and then the Union invaded, you would have an argument. But they didn't do that. They just tried to take the territory, like thieves, and they failed.

To be clear though, would you consider the Continental Congress thieves? If you do, then I have no argument with your assessment...

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:11 pm

Maurepas wrote:I can understand the position, it's not my position as there were Prominent members of this government that agreed with the Hypothetical person, Lee, Jackson, Longstreet, Beauregard, etc., for example, who had the power and ability to have that purpose changed, had things gone differently...

but, I understand the position...

Fine, but I would just end by pointing out that Lee, Jackson, Longstreet, Beauregard, etc., also could have avoided being tainted with the guilt of slavery if they really cared about it by doing the same thing as our Hypothetical Person -- not joining the Confederate army. At the time it was created, there was nothing forcing those men to join it and obey its orders, regardless of what they thought of the CSA's political and social aims. If they opposed slavery, they really didn't have to toss in their lot with a government that supported it.

EDIT: Damn these spoiler thingies.
Last edited by Muravyets on Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Melkor Unchained
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Melkor Unchained » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:13 pm

Muravyets wrote:
Melkor Unchained wrote:
Muravyets wrote:
Melkor Unchained wrote:
Muravyets wrote:> People trying to make slavery look like it was someone else's fault, as if the UK somehow foisted it upon us and the poor southern states were helpless to do anything about it for nearly 100 years after the Revolution.

Can I answer this, or will you get all indignant again?

You can do whatever you want -- after all, it's a free country, thanks in part to Lincoln -- but don't expect me to answer you beyond this post.

Well, seeing as you were technically answering me with your own little straw man, I feel obligated to defend myself. If you're not interested in debate that's fine, but you should probably be prepared for one when you come in and twist someone's remarks into this kind of nonsense.

You were not the only person fronting that argument. You put it up and a few others +1'd to it, so I was referring to a group of people proposing that nonsense, and thus the claim that I was talking to you is wrong. So feel free to defend your position, if you can, but if you do it in the form of picking a fight with me, you will be wasting your time.

So yes, you are (in effect) answering my points.

At any rate (for anyone with a genuine intellectual interest in the topic), I never said the South was "helpless" to make such a change. But slavery was commonplace in North America well before the revolution, so yes, it was "foisted" on us in a way, even though we didn't object overly at the time.

But to expect (as some seemingly do) that the US would instantly and overwhelmingly come to the correct moral decision and abolish slavery in 1777 is probably a bit unrealistic. Slavery has existed in some form just about as long as civilization has, and the idea that it's immoral is actually a relatively new one in the grand scheme of things. I'm not saying that's right, but to give the USA shit because they were all of thirty whole years (gasp!) behind the British in abolishing slavery (nevermind that British policy still allowed for slaves in India and a few other colonies) is more than a little myopic. Cultural and social change is usually slow and seldom arrives on time.
Last edited by Melkor Unchained on Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I am the Elder King: Melkor, first and mightiest of the Valar, who was before the world, and made it. The shadow of my purpose lies upon Arda, and all that is in it bends slowly and surely to my will. But upon all whom you love my thought shall weigh as a cloud of Doom, and it shall bring them down into darkness and despair."

The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:14 pm

Maurepas wrote:I've heard your agruments before, and they still rely on trying to paint everyone involved with the brush of the Elites in the South....

Unfortunately, alot more people were involved than the ones that wrote those documents, just as there were alot more people involved in the Revolution than just religious puritans...In effect it is the same fallacy that is used when they call all Communists, Stalinists, and it is just as much a fallacy here at is it is there...

Still, glad to see you're still around at least, you've been missed, :)

This is cute. Setting aside that I raised several new arguments including views of common soldiers, pray tell how we are to judge the purpose and meaning of the Confederacy and/or its actions if not by the OFFICIAL DOCUMENTS that created it and the statements of its popularly elected officials?
I quit (again).
The Altani Confederacy wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:With that, I am done with these shenanigans. Do as thou wilt.

Can't miss you until you're gone, Ambassador. Seriously, your delegation is like one of those stores that has a "Going Out Of Business" sale for twenty years. Stay or go, already.*snip*
"Don't give me no shit because . . . I've been Tired . . ." ~ Pixies
With that, "he put his boots on, he took a face from the Ancient Gallery, and he walked on down the Hall . . ."

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:15 pm

Melkor Unchained wrote:
Muravyets wrote:
Derscon wrote:

See my sig, and kindly return to the topic of the thread, thanks.

Derscon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Derscon » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:15 pm

Mur, what the fuck happened to that last post of yours? o.O

EDIT: Nevermind.
Last edited by Derscon on Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NationStates remains an excellent educational tool for children. It can teach you exactly just how far people will go to gain extrajudicially what they could never gain legitimately. ~ Questers
And congratulations to Derscon, who has finally codified the exact basis on which NS issues work. ~ Ardchoille

瞞天過海

Melkor Unchained
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Melkor Unchained » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:16 pm

Muravyets wrote:
Melkor Unchained wrote:
Muravyets wrote:
Derscon wrote:

See my sig, and kindly return to the topic of the thread, thanks.

*points up*

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:16 pm

Muravyets wrote:Fine, but I would just end by pointing out that Lee, Jackson, Longstreet, Beauregard, etc., also could have avoided being tainted with the guilt of slavery if they really cared about it by doing the same thing as our Hypothetical Person -- not joining the Confederate army. At the time it was created, there was nothing forcing those men to join it and obey its orders, regardless of what they thought of the CSA's political and social aims. If they opposed slavery, they really didn't have to toss in their lot with a government that supported it.

True, but, they felt that they had to defend themselves from a Federal Army that was gathering to take their homes, which they felt overrided that sort of thing...

Lee said so himself when he declined the request to lead said army...

Derscon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Derscon » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:17 pm

Bryn Shander wrote:
Derscon wrote:

Tariffs were a large issue, but they weren't the direct cause of secession. It did create a substantial animosity, though.
NationStates remains an excellent educational tool for children. It can teach you exactly just how far people will go to gain extrajudicially what they could never gain legitimately. ~ Questers
And congratulations to Derscon, who has finally codified the exact basis on which NS issues work. ~ Ardchoille

瞞天過海

The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:18 pm

Derscon wrote:So?

Basically, what I'm getting is that "People can have self-determination, unless I don't like their opinions." Cool story bro.

Slavery was the straw that broke the camel's back, yes, and the direct cause of secession. However, it is intensely intellectually dishonest to lay everything on the backs of "They just want to whip them negro folk." Did the states secede because of slavery? Yes. Was the War of Northern Aggression fought because of slavery? Not by a long shot.

So, other than just ignoring the evidence I've laid out, do you have anything to back up your opinion that the Civil War was not "by a long shot" about slavery.
I quit (again).
The Altani Confederacy wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:With that, I am done with these shenanigans. Do as thou wilt.

Can't miss you until you're gone, Ambassador. Seriously, your delegation is like one of those stores that has a "Going Out Of Business" sale for twenty years. Stay or go, already.*snip*
"Don't give me no shit because . . . I've been Tired . . ." ~ Pixies
With that, "he put his boots on, he took a face from the Ancient Gallery, and he walked on down the Hall . . ."

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General