NATION

PASSWORD

Woman Dictators

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Burke Islands
Envoy

Founded: Apr 25, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Burke Islands » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:27 am

Empress Theodora? I suppose you wouldn’t want to count her since she only came to power because of her husband, but it’s still impressive to go from prostitute to empress.

I honestly believe there aren’t that many female dictators simply because males are more aggressive and charismatic on average. There are outliers of course, but the group of dictator candidates is likely dominated by men.
❤️~Remember, no one will ever be able to hate you more than you already hate yourself~❤️

Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft
Minister

Founded: Jul 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:28 am

Avidius Legion wrote:
Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft wrote:The point of dictatorship is not by any means benevolent. In fact, typically the worse a dictator oppresses their people, the less likely they are to overthrow them (starving slum dwellers are far less effective revolutionaries than middle-class citizens). Please may you list one benevolent dictator in power today?

Depend on your definition of Benevolent, really.

benevolent

(Adjective)

1. Having a disposition to do good, i.e. "Chinese and Eastern mythologies describe dragons as benevolent"
2. Possessing or manifesting love for mankind.
3. Altruistic, charitable, good, just and fair.

Bad Seed of Troy
Civilian

Founded: Sep 21, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Bad Seed of Troy » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:28 am

The Opossum wrote:
Internationalist Bastard wrote:And with that I’d say we’re set, so NSG, we’re there any female dictators?

There are no female Hitlers and Mussolinis for the same reason that there aren't any female Jeff Dahmers.

Thank goodness.

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:30 am

I don't think it would be fair to describe Thatcher as a dictator since democracy continued to function normally in the UK while she was in power, but she was very authoritarian. Indira Ghandhi, I would say it would be fair to call her a dictator because there was a time period of autocratic rule under her.

Considering that women holding office has become more common recently and that the world is moving in an illiberal, anti-democratic direction, I would say there is a good possibility of several woman dictators within the next few decades.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Page
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:31 am

Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft wrote:
Avidius Legion wrote:Depend on your definition of Benevolent, really.

benevolent

(Adjective)

1. Having a disposition to do good, i.e. "Chinese and Eastern mythologies describe dragons as benevolent"

That definitely doesn't describe any dictator I know of and it doesn't describe many democratically elected leaders either.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

The Gipper
Envoy

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Gipper » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:31 am

Probably opening a can of worms because I will openly admit I'm not that well read on Myanmar / Burma, but I thought it was very strange how our media covered State Counsellor Suu Kyi during the refugee crisis a year or so back. From what I gathered from reporting, she's by far the most powerful political force in her nation, her position was invented out of thin air just for her. And yet when the western media discusses the horrible actions (what some have called genocide) against muslims in her country, she gets this half-hearted criticism because probably she would have spoke out against it if the men leading the military would let her. I just have a hard time swallowing that a male head of government would get the same reaction - I think he'd be talked about as being just as guilty as the military leaders if he kept silent and even toed the line on the issue a bit.

Like she's literally one of the most powerful forces in the nation, and to me it seemed like she's still seen by the world as a victim.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:35 am

I think Empress Wu Zetian is closer to the definition of a dictator than Express Dowager Cixi. Although Cixi definitely did autocratic things (such as -- reportedly -- ordering a royal consort to throw herself down the well), she did have a co-regrent for the vast majority of her reign (the Empress Dowager Ci'an).

Wu Zetian ruled in her own right as Empress Regent, horribly executed her opponents and apparently established her own secret police. That might meet the description for a dictator.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Petrasylvania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrasylvania » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:38 am

Based on what I read on NSG, apparently all females are inherently dictators.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be proof of a pan-Islamic plot and Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand, crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of mentally ill lone wolves who do not represent their professed belief system at all.
The probability of someone secretly participating in homosexual acts is directly proportional to the frequency and loudness of their publicly professed disapproval and/or disgust for homosexuality.
If Donald Trump accuses an individual of malfeasance without evidence, it is almost a certainty either he or someone associated with him has in fact committed that very same malfeasance to a greater degree.

New Flag Courtesy of The Realist Polities

Donnegall
Attaché

Founded: Jun 13, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Donnegall » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:38 am

Angela Merkel is a female dictator.
Not using NS Stats while you can use our Policies for reference.
Supporting: Unborn lives, British unionism, right to keep and bear arms, Brexit, Monarchy, Trump government, Orbán government, Polish government, Free Market, national border control
Opposing: Abortion, sodomy, the U.N., the EU, the CSTO, democracy, climate change belief, Russia's KGB government, Ukrainian government, CETA, Antifa, Sharia
Neutral: NATO, Israeli government, Syrian rebels, Erdogan, Shinzō Abe

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:38 am

Page wrote:
Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft wrote:benevolent

(Adjective)

That definitely doesn't describe any dictator I know of and it doesn't describe many democratically elected leaders either.

At least, most democratically elected leaders such as Donald Trump, Theresa May and Angela Merkel are legally forced to be far more benevolent (edit: in terms of their policies) than autocratic leaders such as Kim Jong-un, Xi Jinping and Ali Khamenei.
Last edited by Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft on Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kanaria
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Kanaria » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:38 am

Old Tyrannia wrote:Depending on how you chose to define "dictator," there have been plenty of women who could fit the title in history; there haven't been many modern dictators who have been female, however, probably because historically most societies have been fairly patriarchal and so women who have risen to power have normally done so either hereditarily- and women typically only assumed the throne in hereditary monarchies when there were no convenient male heirs- or by court intrigue. Modern dictators are typically appointed by their predecessors or seize autocratic power after being elected to office, or are military officers who take power by using the military to topple the civilian government. None of these routes were generally as available to women as they were to men, again due to the patriarchal nature of most societies well into the latter part of the 20th century.

I'm not terribly familiar with Indira Gandhi, but it's plainly ridiculous to call Margaret Thatcher a dictator. She came to power by legitimate democratic means and lost power by legitimate democratic means.

Gandhi declared a state of emergency in India from 1975 to 1977 to silence her opposition and presided over numerous human rights violations, centralized power in the country, and lost the 1977 election. She came back in another election in 1980 and in a power play over Punjabi Sikhs sent troops to remove Sikh militants from the Golden Temple, damaging the temple and killing hundreds of innocents in June 1984. Four months later two Sikh bodyguards of hers shot her. She treads the water of dictatorship pretty heavily I'd say, but her power was gained and lost legitimately.
Last edited by Kanaria on Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Federal Republic of Kanaria-
57 federal entities, 863.2 million people, $40.67 trillion GDP, Gini coefficient 0.38. North Pacific, 1,500 miles west of San Fransisco.

Federal Republic of Kanaria- 57 federal entities, $154 trillion GDP, Gini coefficient 0.39. Northern Ruson, Arctic/Anican/Pacific Ocean, 69 lightyears from San Fransisco, Chi Eridani system.
Liberal
Federalist
Republican
Democrat
Statist
Cishet male

American
And silly rabbit, Kanaria's a caliphate.

Kanaria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kanaria » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:39 am

Donnegall wrote:Angela Merkel is a female dictator.

Bullshit. Merkel's been legitimately elected, without use of force and has committed no rights violations, to my knowledge. "Letting nonwhites into great Germany" and "resolving the Eurozone crisis" are not violations of anyone's rights.
Last edited by Kanaria on Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

57 federal entities, 863.2 million people, $40.67 trillion GDP, Gini coefficient 0.38. North Pacific, 1,500 miles west of San Fransisco.

Federal Republic of Kanaria- 57 federal entities, $154 trillion GDP, Gini coefficient 0.39. Northern Ruson, Arctic/Anican/Pacific Ocean, 69 lightyears from San Fransisco, Chi Eridani system.
Liberal
Federalist
Republican
Democrat
Statist
Cishet male

American

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:40 am

Yes
All shall tremble before me

Page
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:41 am

The Gipper wrote:Probably opening a can of worms because I will openly admit I'm not that well read on Myanmar / Burma, but I thought it was very strange how our media covered State Counsellor Suu Kyi during the refugee crisis a year or so back. From what I gathered from reporting, she's by far the most powerful political force in her nation, her position was invented out of thin air just for her. And yet when the western media discusses the horrible actions (what some have called genocide) against muslims in her country, she gets this half-hearted criticism because probably she would have spoke out against it if the men leading the military would let her. I just have a hard time swallowing that a male head of government would get the same reaction - I think he'd be talked about as being just as guilty as the military leaders if he kept silent and even toed the line on the issue a bit.

Like she's literally one of the most powerful forces in the nation, and to me it seemed like she's still seen by the world as a victim.

Suu Kyi is absolutely complicit in the ethnic cleansing.

The Western media loves to praise anyone and anything which seems to move in a democratic direction, and they don't want to admit when they're wrong.

Take a look at the Arab Spring. When it started, the media shouting about how people are bringing democracy to the Middle East. When the bloodshed started and new governments became just as terrible as the old ones like in Egypt and Libya, the media went silent. They don't want to be exposed, so they just keep quiet.

Kanaria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kanaria » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:42 am

Hammer Britannia wrote:

Yes

No.

Liberal
Federalist
Republican
Democrat
Statist
Cishet male

American

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:42 am

Angela Merkel was democratically elected in Germany's 2005 national elections

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:42 am

The Gipper wrote:her position was invented out of thin air just for her.

I defer to Article 59f of the Constitution of Myanmar.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Petrasylvania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrasylvania » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:43 am

"So was Hitler" in 3... 2... 1...
Crimes committed by Muslims will be proof of a pan-Islamic plot and Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand, crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of mentally ill lone wolves who do not represent their professed belief system at all.
The probability of someone secretly participating in homosexual acts is directly proportional to the frequency and loudness of their publicly professed disapproval and/or disgust for homosexuality.
If Donald Trump accuses an individual of malfeasance without evidence, it is almost a certainty either he or someone associated with him has in fact committed that very same malfeasance to a greater degree.

New Flag Courtesy of The Realist Polities

Page
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:43 am

Petrasylvania wrote:Based on what I read on NSG, apparently all females are inherently dictators.

We are just two or three feminisms away from all men being castrated and put in concentration camps.

Kanaria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kanaria » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:44 am

Not to mention in 2009, 2013 and 2017.

Liberal
Federalist
Republican
Democrat
Statist
Cishet male

American

Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 11, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:45 am

Petrasylvania wrote:
Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft wrote:Angela Merkel was democratically elected in Germany's 2005 national elections

Actually, Hitler was never elected, he was appointed by Hindenburg and simply absorbed the presidency into his job when Hindenburg died.
When life gives you lemons, you BURN THEIR HOUSE DOWN!
Anything can be justified if it is cool. If at first you don't succeed, destroy all in your way.
"Your methods are stupid! Your progress has been stupid! Your intelligence is stupid! For the sake of the mission, you must be terminated!”

Kanaria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kanaria » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:45 am

Page wrote:
Petrasylvania wrote:Based on what I read on NSG, apparently all females are inherently dictators.

We are just two or three feminisms away from all men being castrated and put in concentration camps.

We'll never get there. don't worry. Besides, you'd need cooperative men for that to happen. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Liberal
Federalist
Republican
Democrat
Statist
Cishet male

American

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:46 am

Petrasylvania wrote:
Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft wrote:Angela Merkel was democratically elected in Germany's 2005 national elections

Subsequently, she has made no attempt to seize absolute power, caused no human rights abuses (allowing refugees into Germany is not a human rights abuse - rather, it vindicates the human rights of the refugees), and if she was voted out of power tomorrow she would step down.

The Gipper
Envoy

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Gipper » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:47 am

Page wrote:
The Gipper wrote:Probably opening a can of worms because I will openly admit I'm not that well read on Myanmar / Burma, but I thought it was very strange how our media covered State Counsellor Suu Kyi during the refugee crisis a year or so back. From what I gathered from reporting, she's by far the most powerful political force in her nation, her position was invented out of thin air just for her. And yet when the western media discusses the horrible actions (what some have called genocide) against muslims in her country, she gets this half-hearted criticism because probably she would have spoke out against it if the men leading the military would let her. I just have a hard time swallowing that a male head of government would get the same reaction - I think he'd be talked about as being just as guilty as the military leaders if he kept silent and even toed the line on the issue a bit.

Suu Kyi is absolutely complicit in the ethnic cleansing.

The Western media loves to praise anyone and anything which seems to move in a democratic direction, and they don't want to admit when they're wrong.

Take a look at the Arab Spring. When it started, the media shouting about how people are bringing democracy to the Middle East. When the bloodshed started and new governments became just as terrible as the old ones like in Egypt and Libya, the media went silent. They don't want to be exposed, so they just keep quiet.

I suppose maybe that's comparable. I do recall hearing far more caution about the Arab Spring potentially being a bad thing in media reporting here in the US as it was occurring, but maybe it is because the US has far more interest in the Middle East given recent history than in South East Asia.

I still can't help but feel that she had a little extra shielding from being called out because she was a female head of government, even if you're probably right that she also was shielded because she gained power through an election. My point was perhaps we are slower to recognize female authoritarians because of our own views about what it is to be feminine (even in the ultra-left US media).

Xiaodong
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 16, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Xiaodong » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:48 am

Ang Suu Kyi is complicit in genocide, but she herself is not the real power in Myanmar - the military still hold that role and if they wanted to could probably get rid of her if she kicked up a fuss. She's also lionised in the western press not because she is a women or came to power in elections, but because she has endured a Nelson Mandela-esque personal struggle (being under house arrest for decades unable to see her family after winning an election fairly in 1988) against a very nasty military government.

The Free Joy State wrote:I think Empress Wu Zetian is closer to the definition of a dictator than Express Dowager Cixi. Although Cixi definitely did autocratic things (such as -- reportedly -- ordering a royal consort to throw herself down the well), she did have a co-regrent for the vast majority of her reign (the Empress Dowager Ci'an).

Wu Zetian ruled in her own right as Empress Regent, horribly executed her opponents and apparently established her own secret police. That might meet the description for a dictator.

Both would be dictators - whilst Cixi was officially co-regent iirc she locked up the Emperor and exercised de facto control throughout her rule. De facto power is after all more important than official power (otherwise Stalin wasn't a dictator until WW2)
Last edited by Xiaodong on Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Auspicious Republic of Shangea | Weranian Confederation | Miersan Republic | Republic of Kaona | Region (Kylaris) | News and Articles on Shangea
OOC:
Economic Left/Right: -0.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.0
Left wing populism
British unionist, Sinophile, Francophile.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General