NATION

PASSWORD

Should cities and governments help pay for sports stadiums?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should cities and government help pay for sports stadiums?

Yes
13%
No
87%

Total votes : 54

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 10, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Jerzylvania » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:56 pm

Ifreann wrote:
The South Falls wrote:You mean gigantic loss, once the event is over but maintenance is not?

It's my understanding that American football is never over.

After the brain autopsy it is.
Donald Trump has no clue as to what "insuring the domestic tranquility" means

The Baltimore Orioles are shocking the baseball world!

Jerzylvania is the NFL Picks League Champion in 2018 and in 2020 as puppet Traffic Signal and AGAIN in 2023 as puppet Joe Munchkin !!!

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:58 pm

The South Falls wrote:
Greed and Death wrote:Govnerment spending is meant to be a loss, and really only used because the people want it. Why sports stadiums must be an Exception to this rule is beyond me.

Such a loss that is causes bankruptcy? Cities are supposed to stay afloat.

I am curious which cities are you referring to ?
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 22, 2007

Postby United Dependencies » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:28 pm

Ifreann wrote:
The South Falls wrote:You mean gigantic loss, once the event is over but maintenance is not?

It's my understanding that American football is never over.

Excepting, of course, the 35 weeks of the year where it is, in fact, over.
Last edited by United Dependencies on Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alien Space Bats wrote:2012: The Year We Lost Contact (with Reality).

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

This is Nationstates we're here to help

Are you a native or resident of North Carolina?

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:28 pm

United Dependencies wrote:
Ifreann wrote:It's my understanding that American football is never over.

Excepting, of course, the 35 weeks of the year where it is, in fact, over.

That's 31, but splitting hairs. Anyway, those are the saddest weeks of the year.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

Coolao
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 02, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Coolao » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:46 pm

Depends on the situation.

In my town, we host some of the NJCAA games, and travelers to these games make up a significant portion of the town's economy.

So I was fine when the city government paid for updates to the stadium, considering it benefits local businesses as well.

This case, however, is a rare exception to my dislike of frivolous spending.
Last edited by Coolao on Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Avidius Legion
Attaché

Founded: Nov 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Avidius Legion » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:12 pm

Yeah. Well, depend really. For cities that may have little to no tourist attraction, doing such thing would really enhance the value of the cities. This practice is also known as municipal marketing, where cities "sell" landmark for sponsorship and for most part, it plays important part in how the city attract capital as well as the quality of life as its citizen.

I don't know much about sporting in US tho, so maybe the system fucked up somewhere along the line. Only in U.S after all, corporation can literally threaten to squeeze every penny from the government.
Hello, my name is Avidius Legion. You may call me Avidius Legion. This nation is for lore-building purposes and obviously does not represent my view.
If theres anyone scummier than the Germans, it's the English. Not only they are Anglos, but Saxons as well! Double the Germanic-ness, double the perfidity

"... what is Japan if not merely the Italy of the East?"

Mystic Warriors
Minister

Founded: May 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Mystic Warriors » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:27 pm

Sure. It generates tax revenue.
Proud Trump Hater. Ban Fascism in all its forms. Disagreeing with a comment because you hate who said it is childish.

Dagnia
Senator

Founded: Jul 27, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Dagnia » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:29 pm

It depends on a few things, but overall, I'd say no if it's just some fat cat owner trying to get a free stadium. I would be open to the idea of public funding for a stadium if certain conditions were met though. Did the public decide it wants this stadium, and is it entirely a public project to be owned by the city, province, or government entity funding it? When not being used for a major event like a game or concert, can any private citizen easily walk in and use it for their own purposes? If private, is the owner going to give the government some kind of return on investment, paying the total costs to build it back with interest or paying higher than usual taxes for the existence of the stadium? There are a few other things I would consider, but the more "yes" answers I would get to questions like these, the more likely I would be to consider it.
Wait an hour, and it will be now again

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:45 am

In terms of Olympic stadiums I'd say yes, provided that the stadiums are kept within budget and have a long-term viability strategy for after the games are finished. However, the question seems to be more about football/baseball stadiums and the like, and for that I would have to say no, the government shouldn't help pay for such stadiums, as such buildings are there because of private enterprise.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:36 am

Who else would?

Things like sports are an important and valued part of culture so I don't see why a city or the state shouldn't throw some money their way.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:41 am

Salus Maior wrote:Who else would?

Corporate sponsors?
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:05 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:Who else would?

Corporate sponsors?

Always fun, that. Invesco Field at Mile High until Invesco needed cash and sold the naming rights to Sports Authority, who endeared themselves to Bronco fans by putting up a sign in Kansas City colors. They went belly-up five years later and the team ended up buying the rights. Fun. All that after Pat Bowlen held a gun to the city's head by changing the team logos to eliminate any obvious reference to Denver and then demanding a new stadium.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:10 am

Farnhamia wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Corporate sponsors?

Always fun, that. Invesco Field at Mile High until Invesco needed cash and sold the naming rights to Sports Authority, who endeared themselves to Bronco fans by putting up a sign in Kansas City colors. They went belly-up five years later and the team ended up buying the rights. Fun. All that after Pat Bowlen held a gun to the city's head by changing the team logos to eliminate any obvious reference to Denver and then demanding a new stadium.

Don't worry, I am not advocating it, merely pointing it out as an option instead of/in addition to government funds. ;)

Wave on, wave on

Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 11, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:16 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Always fun, that. Invesco Field at Mile High until Invesco needed cash and sold the naming rights to Sports Authority, who endeared themselves to Bronco fans by putting up a sign in Kansas City colors. They went belly-up five years later and the team ended up buying the rights. Fun. All that after Pat Bowlen held a gun to the city's head by changing the team logos to eliminate any obvious reference to Denver and then demanding a new stadium.

Don't worry, I am not advocating it, merely pointing it out as an option instead of/in addition to government funds. ;)

Lottery funds helped a lot a London 2012, and in funding various sports.
When life gives you lemons, you BURN THEIR HOUSE DOWN!
Anything can be justified if it is cool. If at first you don't succeed, destroy all in your way.
"Your methods are stupid! Your progress has been stupid! Your intelligence is stupid! For the sake of the mission, you must be terminated!”

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:18 am

Dooom35796821595 wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Don't worry, I am not advocating it, merely pointing it out as an option instead of/in addition to government funds. ;)

Indeed it did, as well as many other sports-related projects around the country.

Wave on, wave on

Puldania
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Puldania » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:20 am

Fuck no.
That's how we ended up with the useless marlin's stadium.
Learn Puldanian: https://www.memrise.com/course/1603336/puldanian/
Instrumental Art Rock Album: https://soundcloud.com/enrique-poveda-8 ... l-releases
Join the International Northwestern Union, the largest Sh!tpost based economy on NS.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008

Postby Shofercia » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:34 am

Dooom35796821595 wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Don't worry, I am not advocating it, merely pointing it out as an option instead of/in addition to government funds. ;)

You know what would've really helped London? Their moronic organizers, led by Sebastian Coe, actually selling tickets. They failed to sell football (soccer) tickets to their national women's team. The games were held in Millennium Stadium, capacity 74,500. Number of tickets sold to the British Opening Game? 24,445. Coe's lame excuse? The allocated tickets were withheld from the sale. Sebby, Sebby, Sebby, do you know how to count? Only 25% of the tickets were allocated. So let's see here, (0.75 * 74,500) - 24,445 = 31,430. Similar results were there for the rest of the tournament.

My tip: don't blame rank amateurs for the failure of stadiums. And here's Coe doing what I think he does best - lying his ass off:

Empty seats at Olympic events were reported during the first two days of the games. Although events were reported to be sold out, many empty seats were observed in highly visible areas at multiple venues. Sebastian Coe, the Head of LOCOG, stated in a press conference on 29 July that the seats were reserved for "the Olympic family and sponsors" and that the events were otherwise "stuffed to the gunwales". The empty seats were also from NOCs which had not used up the entire allocation and had not returned the unallocated tickets. Coe stated that LOCOG would investigate the claims of empty seats.

Riiight. Somehow LA managed to have a profitable Olympics, not once, but twice. Oh, right, because LA had a great organizer, Peter Ueberroth. The Russians also made a profit: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-olym ... KR20150226

But how was that possible? Out of the $51 billion, the extreme majority was spent on improving infrastructure in the war torn Caucasus Region. The amount actually spent on Hosting the Olympics, the Olympic Infrastructure, and the Olympic Venues, was less than $10 billion. Out of that amount, the Russians made roughly $53 million in profit. And most of those venues are heavily used.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:36 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Corporate sponsors?

Brings back echoes of Jennifer Government, to me.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

The Great Imperator Jeffrey
Envoy

Founded: Jun 23, 2018
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Great Imperator Jeffrey » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:39 pm

Sports are a waste of time and money. I don't see why the government should pay for such frivolous things.
The Imperium is ruled by God-Imperator Jeffrey the Conqueror of Universes, Rightful Ruler of All, and Supreme Leader for All Eternity. The God-Imperator has control over a significant portion of the multiverse. Everyone is oppressed.
A Class 0.143 Civilization according to this index.
(Tier: 14 Type: 14)

Technology Level: FFT
Alignment: Lawful Evil
NS stats are a conspiracy against me.

HAIL THE IMPERATOR!

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:40 pm

The Great Imperator Jeffrey wrote:Sports are a waste of time and money. I don't see why the government should pay for such frivolous things.

Yes, who would even consider spending money to keep fit and/or be entertained? Absurd! Unthinkable! :roll:

Wave on, wave on

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:49 pm

The Great Imperator Jeffrey wrote:Sports are a waste of time and money. I don't see why the government should pay for such frivolous things.

Why, sports are too far below you?
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:57 pm

If they are getting a cut from all sales; sure why not?
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:15 pm

Sports stadiums should be privately owned and funded in a free market system. Sports shouldn't be on any government's agenda.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:38 pm

Lot of ways to slice this. Who owns the stadium for one? The sports team, or the city?

What kind of financing are we talking about? Direct subsidy? Tax breaks? Tax free bonding? And who is getting the subsidy, team ownership, a public or semi-public authority? What about infrastructure improvements? New subway line, highway exit, who pays for that?

I don't think it's a flat decision. Each case should be judged on it's merits.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008

Postby Shofercia » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:39 pm

Sports are neither a waste of time, nor money, if the investment is done right. I play sports, and go to sporting events, and I have a lot of fun. Claiming that sports are a waste of time and money is like claiming that anything of even the most basic entertainment value is a waste of time and money. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General