NATION

PASSWORD

Did we come from Incest

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Re: Did we come from Incest

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:14 pm

Holy Cheese and Shoes wrote:Yes we are all descended from Adam and Eve, but that's not incest because that would be wrong. You see, it is and it isn't, and God is 3 people but just 1 person, both dead, alive and reborn, vengeful, merciful, kind, jealous (but of no-one because there are no others), who we are grateful died (but didn't) for our sins (that he gave us no choice in having but was magnanimous enough to forgive). It all makes sense if you just forget about logic. I would, for the chance of free wine once a week.

I only remember stale smigdeons of bread and cheap ass wine for my communion.
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Marispatria
Attaché

Founded: May 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Marispatria » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:14 pm

Brogavia wrote:No, just some people. Like the British.

Nice to see the contributions of the Celts, Picts, Angles, Romans, Saxons, Vikings and Normans (as well as that of more recent immigrants) to the British gene pool go completely ignored. ;)
Last edited by Marispatria on Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hydrosteria
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hydrosteria » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:20 pm

Marispatria wrote:
Brogavia wrote:No, just some people. Like the British.

Nice to see the contributions of the Celts, Picts, Angles, Romans, Saxons, Vikings and Normans (as well as that of more recent immigrants) to the British gene pool go completely ignored. ;)

"British" implies your families lived here for more than two generations more or less.

Hell my families been here as far back as I can trace and I look Scandinavian!

Holy Cheese and Shoes
Attaché

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Cheese and Shoes » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:21 pm

Buffett and Colbert wrote:
Holy Cheese and Shoes wrote:Yes we are all descended from Adam and Eve, but that's not incest because that would be wrong. You see, it is and it isn't, and God is 3 people but just 1 person, both dead, alive and reborn, vengeful, merciful, kind, jealous (but of no-one because there are no others), who we are grateful died (but didn't) for our sins (that he gave us no choice in having but was magnanimous enough to forgive). It all makes sense if you just forget about logic. I would, for the chance of free wine once a week.

That sounds more like my student days (but with less communing)

It's still great value for money though! And you're getting a full meal if that wine transubstantiates.
Dumb Ideologies:Without the lowest common denominator, man would not be able to carry out basic calculations involving fractions. Think carefully before you dare criticize this wonderful invention and sully the names of those behind it.

Forget you were playing?

Brutanion
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 11, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Brutanion » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:23 pm

Hydrosteria wrote:
Dolbri wrote:
Hydrosteria wrote:We come from an initial bottle neck population which explains our low genetic diversity, after all, all women can trace their lineage back to a single woman via the Y chromosome. I'm not sure about us men.

Hm. Women don't have a Y chromosome. It's via the mitochondrial DNA.

:palm:

Sorry, stupid moment, Women are XX men are XY and YES your completely correct it's mitochondrial DNA.

I was wondering why I had the phrase "mitochondrial Eve" floating around in my head...

Although not in birds.
And in certain voles, where all are XX, even the men.

Although experiments on animals and observations on humans show that you have to be hardcore incestuous for a rather long time before it creates any problems. For really strange evidence, look at the Cheetah population.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:24 pm

Crownstar wrote:Now first to all Nsers I am 100% strong christian, but I was watching tv and somebody said if Adam and Eve were related and had kids does that mean we all came from Incest? Just a thought.

you are not meant to take the story of adam and eve literally. it makes no sense as a literal story.

its just there to answer the question "where did we come from?" and "why does life suck so much?"
whatever

Korintar
Minister

Founded: Nov 19, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Korintar » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:35 pm

Hydrosteria wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:No, because we didn't come from Adam and Eve.

Whether or not you believe in Adam and Eve doesn't exactly answer this question. Ancient humans roamed the earth in small units, many of them genetically related, it wouldn't be out of the question for incestuous relations to have occurred given the low population density of the Earth when man was first starting out.

We come from an initial bottle neck population which explains our low genetic diversity, after all, all women can trace their lineage back to a single woman via the Y chromosome. I'm not sure about us men.

Slight correction: it is the mDNA, or mitochondrial DNA, which is the matrilineal marker. For patrilineal it is the Y chromosome- one of the more damaged chromosomes I recall reading somewhere, but don't quote me on the damage thing. You are most right about the bottle neck, so I am sure that right after the events of 75,000 yrs ago (Toba supereruption) that incest probably did occur.
Factbook, Q&A; Nat'l Standards Warning: Agreeing to RP with me assumes an acceptance of Any-Tech Rping and/or the use of dragons in Warfare unless we come to an agreement beforehand.
Jolt Veteran. (-6.00,-.31), (-7.25,1.08) (economic, social)
'So.... a complete disregard for societal norms is.... communist? If that's true, then sign me up.'- Lunatic Goofballs
'If you're taking White Castle hanburgers rectally, you're really doing that wrong. They go in the other end of the alimentary system.'-Farnhamia
'Space Mussolini! Go, go, go!'- TSS @ GWO
Reppy's PG opinion of Jolt
The Gidgetisms: Go no fuck? The Parkus Empire: As in, go, go Gadget no fuck.
Oterro: International incidents->"New Thread"->[Thread title]->[Thread OP]->War->GWO intervention

Korintar
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Korintar » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:36 pm

Doh! beaten to it :palm:
Factbook, Q&A; Nat'l Standards Warning: Agreeing to RP with me assumes an acceptance of Any-Tech Rping and/or the use of dragons in Warfare unless we come to an agreement beforehand.
'So.... a complete disregard for societal norms is.... communist? If that's true, then sign me up.'- Lunatic Goofballs
'If you're taking White Castle hanburgers rectally, you're really doing that wrong. They go in the other end of the alimentary system.'-Farnhamia
Oterro: International incidents->"New Thread"->[Thread title]->[Thread OP]->War->GWO intervention

Hydrosteria
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Hydrosteria » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:43 pm

Brutanion wrote:
Although not in birds.
And in certain voles, where all are XX, even the men.

Although experiments on animals and observations on humans show that you have to be hardcore incestuous for a rather long time before it creates any problems. For really strange evidence, look at the Cheetah population.

Tigers and Lions as well I think, iis certianly true, especially with rabbits. I think the human genetics are slightly "iffy" since at the first sign of inbreeding we tend to go downhill prety quickly; good old genetic diversity... which we lack.

Korintar wrote:Doh! beaten to it :palm:

Heh, yes, the oppertunities to point out my foolishness are stupendously appealing!

Chumblywumbly
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 22, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Chumblywumbly » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:47 pm

Parthenon wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:Ancient humans roamed the earth in small units, many of them genetically related, it wouldn't be out of the question for incestuous relations to have occurred given the low population density of the Earth when man was first starting out.

Not out of the question, no, but I think we could raise doubts about brother-sister and parent-child incest, at the least.

A primatologist would know much better than I, but I don't think it's totally unfair to assume that small, spread-out populations of primates can survive without the close-proximity incest I describe above. After all, we're talking about humans with rather short lifespans, with the females of the groups (again, I imagine) being pregnant a lot, if not the majority, of the time that they could be.

Do we have any posters who could knowledgeably enlighten us?
I suffer, I labour, I dream, I enjoy, I think; and, in a word, when my last hour strikes, I shall have lived.

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:50 pm

Buffett and Colbert wrote:

Cheap ass wine?

That sounds disturbing. I mean... 'ass wine' sounds bad enough, but you have to wonder how it could be improved by being cheap...
I identify as
a problem

Phenia
Senator

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Phenia » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:57 pm

I didn't come from no incest.
I faked it.

OK, that was silly and I apologize.

Mortshnefran
Envoy

Founded: Apr 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mortshnefran » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:11 pm

in humans sibling incest is fairly rare, cousin or further incest is fairly common.
in non human primates sibling incest is also fairly rare due to the fact that one sex or the other usually leaves the natal group around adolescence.
Humans have an inbuilt incest mechanism whereby any children raised together in the same family during certain ages will tend to avoid mating.
there is a Y-chromosome Adam who lived in Africa about 60,000 years ago
Mitochondrial eve lived about 170,000 years ago
there is incest in human history but again it is mostly between cousins or further as these matings do not produce significantly more genetic problems than non related mating.
Last edited by Mortshnefran on Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." -G. Gordon Liddy
"If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us do it."
"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session." -Mark Twain

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." -Thomas Jefferson

Hydrosteria
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Hydrosteria » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:14 pm

Chumblywumbly wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:Ancient humans roamed the earth in small units, many of them genetically related, it wouldn't be out of the question for incestuous relations to have occurred given the low population density of the Earth when man was first starting out.

Not out of the question, no, but I think we could raise doubts about brother-sister and parent-child incest, at the least.

A primatologist would know much better than I, but I don't think it's totally unfair to assume that small, spread-out populations of primates can survive without the close-proximity incest I describe above. After all, we're talking about humans with rather short lifespans, with the females of the groups (again, I imagine) being pregnant a lot, if not the majority, of the time that they could be.

Do we have any posters who could knowledgeably enlighten us?

Our ancestors, I.E. the species which came before us and gave rise to us, suffered from a cataclysmic event whilst in Arfica which reduced the overall population to perhaps a few thousand lucky individuals. From this it is preusmed that a whole host of allele (DNA variations for those who aren't biology fluent) possibilities were lost, beneficial, detrimental and neutral, all of them were lost.

Of these few survivors they would have banded into groups, and as the groups came across each other they would have exchanged genetic material in a lust filled moonlight sprawl behind the bushes before moving on.

Overall, from these points, we can deduce that the genetic diversity of proto-humans was very low, however, the nature of groups of humans roving around and occassionally coming into contact and exchanging members of splitting up or even joining probably helped to keep the occourance of direct incest fairly low. However, over time individual "units" and "bands" would have grown to large numbers and with a very low amount of genetic diversity and startin members incest through cousins would have certainly occoured at a probable regular basis. Or at least I presume so, i'm not fully honed on about primate relationships, just the biology aspects.

Overall, the six billion or so humans on this planet come from a livestock of about a few thousand lucky buggers. We're all related, and our genetics are screwed, pardon the pun.

Glorious Freedonia
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Glorious Freedonia » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:19 pm

Crownstar wrote:Now first to all Nsers I am 100% strong christian, but I was watching tv and somebody said if Adam and Eve were related and had kids does that mean we all came from Incest? Just a thought.

Considering tha twe call can trace our ancestry to less than 900 mothers, I would think that we got some incest in the past.

Charles Stefan
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Charles Stefan » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:24 pm

We're decended from Capricans and Hera.
Proud Member of the Aeazen Combine

Phenia
Senator

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Phenia » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:27 pm

Glorious Freedonia wrote:Considering tha twe call can trace our ancestry to less than 900 mothers, I would think that we got some incest in the past.

How dare you talk about my mothers like that.

Charles Stefan wrote:We're decended from Capricans and Hera.

Kinda makes you think differently about that whole series, doesn't it?

Rodlandia
Civilian

Founded: Mar 20, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Rodlandia » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:30 pm

Even in the Bible there is a problem with the number of people around. Adam and Eve had three sons: Cain, Abel and Seth. Able died (lets gloss over the details) leaving three males and one female. You would assume at this point that we had divinely-sponsored incest to account for the rest of humanity. Maybe not.

The Bible mentions, obliquely I admit, the existence of other humans. Cain has a wife, unnamed, from the land of Nod. She had to be born somehow, from someone, unless we are to make the leap towards her also being divinely created. There were almost certainly other humans knocking about - they just didn't make it into the story.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:32 pm

Doesn't Adam mean man(as in man kind) and Eve mean woman (as in woman kind ) in Hebrew ?
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:34 pm

greed and death wrote:Doesn't Adam mean man(as in man kind) and Eve mean woman (as in woman kind ) in Hebrew ?

No, it more closely means 'earth' and 'spirit'.

Like, the story of the breathing life into the figure of the man made from clay.
I identify as
a problem

Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 09, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:35 pm

Adam and Eve were related? I don't recall any such mention. Further, should you read the creation story outlined in Genesis, Cain ran into another group of people, and intermarried with them. So, where's the incest?

What's more, perhaps that is the case, however there was no such Biblical Law against incest at the time. So, if you are going to be a Christian, you must be willing to recognize that the media will often portray arguments counter to many Christian beliefs, which is fine, no one needs to believe anything they don't want to.

The bigger issue is how much it really matters in the end. For example, why do so many Christians care so much about the evolution and creationism debate (when they need not be mutually exclusive) when the ultimate message of the Bible is really much more about Jesus' message of love, and grace, than a few of the fine details. You need to decide how important this is to you.
Last edited by Der Teutoniker on Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
South Lorenya wrote:occasionally we get someone who has a rap sheet longer than Jormungandr

Austin Setzer wrote:We found a couple of ancient documents, turned them into the bible, and now its the symbol of christianity.

ARM Forces wrote:Strep-throat is an infection in the throat, caused by eating too much refined sugar! Rubbing more sugar directly on it is the worst thing you can possibly do.

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Communism and anarchy; same unachievable end, different impractical means.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:38 pm

Assuming that we did come from Adam and Eve, then yes.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 09, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:40 pm

Dyakovo wrote:

Assuming that we did come from Adam and Eve, then yes.

Also assuming that Adam and Eve were related, but as the story recounts neither of them as having been born, it seems like they wouldn't've been related.
South Lorenya wrote:occasionally we get someone who has a rap sheet longer than Jormungandr

Austin Setzer wrote:We found a couple of ancient documents, turned them into the bible, and now its the symbol of christianity.

ARM Forces wrote:Strep-throat is an infection in the throat, caused by eating too much refined sugar! Rubbing more sugar directly on it is the worst thing you can possibly do.

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Communism and anarchy; same unachievable end, different impractical means.

Korintar
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Korintar » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:50 pm

Rodlandia wrote:Even in the Bible there is a problem with the number of people around. Adam and Eve had three sons: Cain, Abel and Seth. Able died (lets gloss over the details) leaving three males and one female. You would assume at this point that we had divinely-sponsored incest to account for the rest of humanity. Maybe not.

The Bible mentions, obliquely I admit, the existence of other humans. Cain has a wife, unnamed, from the land of Nod. She had to be born somehow, from someone, unless we are to make the leap towards her also being divinely created. There were almost certainly other humans knocking about - they just didn't make it into the story.

There are some who theorize that Eve was Adam's second wife to account for the fact that the creation human kind is mentioned twice in Genesis. It could be plausible then that Cain engaged in incest with his half-sister if the Genesis account were to be taken literally. All I recall was that Cain's wife was called A'wan according to Jubilees.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:51 pm

Simple answer... I don't know.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General