NATION

PASSWORD

[Abortion Thread] (YET ANOTHER POLL!) Taking measure.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What policies would you use to reduce abortion numbers?

Welfare Support for Single Mothers
17%
Free Pregnancy-Related Health Care
17%
Comprehensive Sex Education
21%
Free Contraception
17%
Monetary Incentives (Child Care, Tax Incentives, Kid-Related Healthcare, specify if needed)
13%
No Changes
2%
Procedure Ban (Not outlawing abortion itself, but specific procedures)
3%
Outright Ban (With exceptions or without)
10%

Total votes : 2870

Loben The 2nd
Senator

Founded: Apr 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Loben The 2nd » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:25 pm

Stagnant Axon Terminal wrote:
Godular wrote:
And what very specific circumstance is that? For I see a great many circumstances in which it is perfectly justifiable to take a human life in order to protect one's own bodily integrity, and the situation produced by an unwanted pregnancy does indeed fall under... damn near all of them.

When it comes to abortion, any reason that a pregnant person has to terminate is valid. I cannot think of a single reason someone could come up with that would be a bad reason to terminate.

as a fetish?
no quarter.
Satisfaction guaranteed.

Stagnant Axon Terminal
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Stagnant Axon Terminal » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:29 pm

Loben The 2nd wrote:
Stagnant Axon Terminal wrote:When it comes to abortion, any reason that a pregnant person has to terminate is valid. I cannot think of a single reason someone could come up with that would be a bad reason to terminate.

as a fetish?

While that's, uh, not a healthy fetish, there are excessively few individuals who would actually partake in such a fetish rather than fantasize. Still, abortion is amoral, so even if someone willingly gets pregnant specifically to have an abortion, they should not be denied an abortion and forced to give birth.
TET's resident state assessment exam
My sworn enemy is the Toyota 4Runner
I scream a lot.
Also, I'm gonna fuck your girlfriend.
Nanatsu No Tsuki wrote:the fetus will never eat cake if you abort it

Cu Math wrote:Axon is like a bear with a PH.D. She debates at first, then eats your face.
The Empire of Pretantia wrote:THE MAN'S PENIS HAS LEFT THE VAGINA. IT'S THE UTERUS'S TURN TO SHINE.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:35 pm

Stagnant Axon Terminal wrote:When it comes to abortion, any reason that a pregnant person has to terminate is valid. I cannot think of a single reason someone could come up with that would be a bad reason to terminate.

So are you the sort of person who believes that a pregnant woman should or could get an abortion if she so wished, even if perchance- the baby was only 1 day away from being born?
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Kernen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:36 pm

Saiwania wrote:

So are you the sort of person who believes that a pregnant woman should or could get an abortion if she so wished, even if perchance- the baby was only 1 day away from being born?

Why not?
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Get abortions, do drugs, own guns, but never misstate legal procedure.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:40 pm

Kernen wrote:Why not?

The vast majority of all people in the US would now think that you're on the wrong side of this issue, if you still support abortion so late into pregnancy past a certain point. People have evolved since 1974 to be even more pro-life. It is now more mainstream for people to support a cut off point for pregnancies where past that point, its impractical to keep allowing for abortion as an option.

I suspect the same is true in most other countries. We know more about fetus development than in the old days.
Last edited by Saiwania on Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Loben The 2nd
Senator

Founded: Apr 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Loben The 2nd » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:41 pm

Kernen wrote:
Saiwania wrote:

Why not?

kinda seems wastful.
no quarter.
Satisfaction guaranteed.

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:41 pm

Loben The 2nd wrote:

as a fetish?

Someone who has a fetish like that belongs in a mental asylum.

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:43 pm

Loben The 2nd wrote:

as a fetish?

That person probably shouldn't be a parent anyway.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Stagnant Axon Terminal
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Stagnant Axon Terminal » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:44 pm

Saiwania wrote:

First of all, bullshit question because there are roughly zero people on Earth who would wait 40 weeks to have an abortion. It's a nonsense question in the same vein as "should unicorns be sous chefs?"
To the best of my knowledge, abortion becomes increasingly more difficult and dangerous the further into pregnancy it happens. When you are that close to term, unless something happens that warrants the removal of the fetus without labor, it is easier and less dangerous to have a live birth, either by Cesarean or vaginal birth. But there are, again, so astronomically few cases of this happening (id est virtually none) that we can't even have statistics on it period.
I scream a lot.

Cu Math wrote:Axon is like a bear with a PH.D. She debates at first, then eats your face.
The Empire of Pretantia wrote:THE MAN'S PENIS HAS LEFT THE VAGINA. IT'S THE UTERUS'S TURN TO SHINE.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:44 pm

Abortion broadly speaking, isn't an amoral issue. People decide for themselves whether it is good or bad. The evangelical right takes the position that it is evil and should be banned. They've held firm on this for decades and won't be changing their mind. Just as the Catholic Church is never going to approve of condoms.
Sith Acolyte

Stagnant Axon Terminal
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Stagnant Axon Terminal » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:47 pm

Saiwania wrote:

The vast majority of all people in the US would now think that you're on the wrong side of this issue, if you still support abortion so late into pregnancy past a certain point. People have evolved since 1974 to be even more pro-life. It is now more mainstream for people to support a cut off point for pregnancies where past that point, its impractical to keep allowing for abortion as an option.

I suspect the same is true in most other countries. We know more about fetus development than in the old days.

Just to correct, there's been virtually no meaningful change in the number of prolife opinions. 21% in 1975 (iirc) vs 22% in 2019 according to Gallup.
I scream a lot.

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:02 pm

Saiwania wrote:

Why should their opinion factor into mine?

Loben The 2nd wrote:

kinda seems wastful.

The great thing about being a free individual is that you're generally allowed to make potentially bad or inefficient choices for yourself.
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:05 pm

Stagnant Axon Terminal wrote:
Godular wrote:
And what very specific circumstance is that? For I see a great many circumstances in which it is perfectly justifiable to take a human life in order to protect one's own bodily integrity, and the situation produced by an unwanted pregnancy does indeed fall under... damn near all of them.

When it comes to abortion, any reason that a pregnant person has to terminate is valid. I cannot think of a single reason someone could come up with that would be a bad reason to terminate.

Them being told to do so by e.g. their church, because being a single mom is a sin ?
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:06 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:

Them being told to do so by e.g. their church, because being a single mom is a sin ?

Sex selective abortions are also pretty sketchy.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:07 pm

Kernen wrote:Why should their opinion factor into mine?

It is to avoid being ostacized or worse by the wider community where you live. You can be as extreme as you want, but you often can't let that actually be known. This has a way of making you enemies. Always harder to be a public figure than a more private individual where you're mysterious.
Sith Acolyte

Stagnant Axon Terminal
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Stagnant Axon Terminal » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:09 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:

I'm talking about reasons a person has of their own desires. Being pressured into abortion or birth is obviously not good in any way ever and is precisely why I think appointments to discuss the procedures should take the stance of my own OBGYN - No one allowed to come back during the consult, no one allowed to come back during the procedure. That way there's a better chance of doctors/nurses getting information from patients.
I scream a lot.

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:10 pm

Saiwania wrote:
Kernen wrote:Why should their opinion factor into mine?

It is to avoid being ostacized or worse by the wider community where you live. You can be as extreme as you want, but you often can't let that actually be known. This has a way of making you enemies. Always harder to be a public figure than a more private individual where you're mysterious.

I have never once been ostracized for that belief, and it is widely known by those who know me personally. I suspect your experience is different, since your beliefs are actively harmful to others.

I'm a stand-up member of my community.
Last edited by Kernen on Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lawful Evil

Stagnant Axon Terminal
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Stagnant Axon Terminal » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:11 pm

Galloism wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

You're right, they're sketchy af. But I'd rather someone terminate a pregnancy than risk them giving birth to a child they're going to abuse because they "aren't the right gender."
I scream a lot.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:44 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:

Fornication is considered a sin, but being a single parent is not. There’s certainly a stigma around it in society, but you can be a good Catholic/Christian and a single parent. Certainly doesn’t say anywhere in the Catechism that being a single parent is a sin.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:44 pm

Galloism wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

They’re really bad because they lead to people actively going after baby girls, most of the time. Like in China and India, and I think even Canada has legalized it. Please correct me if I’m wrong.
Last edited by Luminesa on Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

The Grims
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grims » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:02 pm

Luminesa wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

Fornication is considered a sin, but being a single parent is not. There’s certainly a stigma around it in society, but you can be a good Catholic/Christian and a single parent. Certainly doesn’t say anywhere in the Catechism that being a single parent is a sin.

I vaguely remember stories about how single moms were forced to 'go to the nuns', where their babies were taken away by the Church though. And then strangled and tossed in a pit.

Stagnant Axon Terminal
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Stagnant Axon Terminal » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:09 pm

The Grims wrote:
Luminesa wrote:Fornication is considered a sin, but being a single parent is not. There’s certainly a stigma around it in society, but you can be a good Catholic/Christian and a single parent. Certainly doesn’t say anywhere in the Catechism that being a single parent is a sin.

I vaguely remember stories about how single moms were forced to 'go to the nuns', where their babies were taken away by the Church though. And then strangled and tossed in a pit.

I think that was the case predominantly in one place in Ireland back in the early-mid 20th century but I could be wrong on that. More frequently, it was unwed mother's who were sent to convents or schools for wayward girls (under the guise of being sent to a relatives home) wherein the girls would give birth in secret and told that they weren't allowed to keep their babies. Even older unwed mother's were subject to "baby snatching." The adoption market today is still wrought with this issue. In the late 90's a predominant adoption supporting group (I forget specifically who) wrote what was basically a guide on how clinics are supposed to go about increasing the number of women giving up their babies by means of essentially telling them they aren't fit to be mothers.
I scream a lot.

Thepeopl
Minister

Founded: Feb 24, 2019
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Thepeopl » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:16 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Galloism wrote:Sex selective abortions are also pretty sketchy.

They’re really bad because they lead to people actively going after baby girls, most of the time. Like in China and India, and I think even Canada has legalized it. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex-selective_abortion

Tl;Dr it suggests that asians even without sex selective abortions had more sons than daughters. 121-100

There are also naturally occurring more daughters 84- 100 for Nauru, Micronesia.
But a lot of African countries have also less sons born than daughters.

Also there are health issues which only afflict one gender and is dormant in the other.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:27 pm

Luminesa wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

Ireland would like to have a word with you~
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

San Lumen
Post Kaiser

Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby San Lumen » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:33 pm

Saiwania wrote:

abortions do not happen that late. Third term abortions should not be allowed unless there is a toxic pregnancy.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General