NATION

PASSWORD

[Abortion Thread] (YET ANOTHER POLL!) Taking measure.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What policies would you use to reduce abortion numbers?

Welfare Support for Single Mothers
17%
Free Pregnancy-Related Health Care
17%
Comprehensive Sex Education
21%
Free Contraception
17%
Monetary Incentives (Child Care, Tax Incentives, Kid-Related Healthcare, specify if needed)
13%
No Changes
2%
Procedure Ban (Not outlawing abortion itself, but specific procedures)
3%
Outright Ban (With exceptions or without)
10%

Total votes : 2870

Crockerland
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Crockerland » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:31 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Women and girls should be able to get hold of emergency contraception more easily without the need for a consultation with a pharmacist, say women's health experts.

A report by the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists recommends the morning-after pill "should be sold straight off the shelf", like condoms.There are too many barriers to health services for women in the UK, it says.

The report, Better for Women, is also calling for women to be allowed to take the first abortion pill at home, as well as the second, if they know they are less than 10 weeks pregnant.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-50601735

I have heard conflicting reports/studies as to whether the morning-after pill will kill a fertilized embryo (unborn human) or not.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2013/02/22/172595689/morning-after-pills-dont-cause-abortion-studies-say
But it turns out, at least when it comes to Plan B, there is now fairly definitive research that shows the only way it works is by preventing ovulation, and therefore, fertilization.

"We've learned a lot about how these drugs work," says Diana Blithe, a biochemist and contraceptive researcher at the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development. "I think it's time to revise our speculations about how things might work in view of data that show how things do work."

For example, says Blithe, a study published just last year led the International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics to declare that Plan B does not inhibit implantation. And some abortion opponents in the medical community are beginning to accept that conclusion.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2014/10/yes-plan-b-can-kill-embryos-donna-harrison/
If Plan B is taken five to two days before egg release is due to happen, the interference with the LH signal prevents a woman from releasing an egg, no fertilization happens, and no embryo is formed.

Current studies do not demonstrate a harmful effect on the embryo if Plan B is taken after egg release.

Many authors focus on these two facts to make the sweeping claim that Plan B has no effect on a human embryo. What they are forgetting is Plan B’s effect at step 3, the two-day window in which embryos can form but positive pregnancy tests don’t occur. That’s the window during which the studies mentioned above suggest that Plan B has a likely embryocidal effect in stopping pregnancy.

Hopefully, if the UK's experts reach the conclusion that the morning-after pill has embryocidal effects, it will be banned except where prescribed by a doctor to a rape victim or woman with an ectopic pregnancy or other condition causing a reasonable belief she will suffer death or other grave injury beyond the normal effects of a healthy pregnancy.
Free Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Tibet.
Gay not Queer / Why Abortion is Genocide / End Gay Erasure
PROUD SUPPORTER OF:
National Liberalism, Nuclear & Geothermal Power, GMOs, Vaccines, Biodiesel, LGBTIA equality, Universal Healthcare, Universal Basic Income, Constitutional Carry, Emotional Support Twinks, Right to Life

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:49 am

Crockerland wrote:

I have heard conflicting reports/studies as to whether the morning-after pill will kill a fertilized embryo (unborn human) or not.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2013/02/22/172595689/morning-after-pills-dont-cause-abortion-studies-say
But it turns out, at least when it comes to Plan B, there is now fairly definitive research that shows the only way it works is by preventing ovulation, and therefore, fertilization.

"We've learned a lot about how these drugs work," says Diana Blithe, a biochemist and contraceptive researcher at the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development. "I think it's time to revise our speculations about how things might work in view of data that show how things do work."

For example, says Blithe, a study published just last year led the International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics to declare that Plan B does not inhibit implantation. And some abortion opponents in the medical community are beginning to accept that conclusion.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2014/10/yes-plan-b-can-kill-embryos-donna-harrison/
If Plan B is taken five to two days before egg release is due to happen, the interference with the LH signal prevents a woman from releasing an egg, no fertilization happens, and no embryo is formed.

Current studies do not demonstrate a harmful effect on the embryo if Plan B is taken after egg release.

Many authors focus on these two facts to make the sweeping claim that Plan B has no effect on a human embryo. What they are forgetting is Plan B’s effect at step 3, the two-day window in which embryos can form but positive pregnancy tests don’t occur. That’s the window during which the studies mentioned above suggest that Plan B has a likely embryocidal effect in stopping pregnancy.

Hopefully, if the UK's experts reach the conclusion that the morning-after pill has embryocidal effects, it will be banned except where prescribed by a doctor to a rape victim or woman with an ectopic pregnancy or other condition causing a reasonable belief she will suffer death or other grave injury beyond the normal effects of a healthy pregnancy.

Or we could stop legislating what women can do with their own bodies.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:56 am

Crockerland wrote:Hopefully, if the UK's experts reach the conclusion that the morning-after pill has embryocidal effects, it will be banned except where prescribed by a doctor to a rape victim or woman with an ectopic pregnancy or other condition causing a reasonable belief she will suffer death or other grave injury beyond the normal effects of a healthy pregnancy.

Why is that a thing that you hope for?
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:58 am

Crockerland wrote:

Why would it be banned? Surely the embyrocydal effects are just academic. Either way it's an important form of emergency contraception which should be available off the shelf.
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:05 am

Crockerland wrote:Hopefully, if the UK's experts reach the conclusion that the morning-after pill has embryocidal effects, it will be banned except where prescribed by a doctor to a rape victim or woman with an ectopic pregnancy or other condition causing a reasonable belief she will suffer death or other grave injury beyond the normal effects of a healthy pregnancy.

They won't, as you are basically hoping for the complete polar opposite to what they are recommending.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:44 pm

I mean, unless the UK majorly changes direction and takes its first steps to becoming a totalitarian theocracy -- and pray God we won't -- that' pretty certainly will never happen. You can already buy the morning-after pill from any pharmacist over the counter (unless they refuse to sell it, in which case, they should recommend the woman to another pharmacist).

The recommendations are just that they place the pill on the shelves, so it can be bought without supervision.

EDIT: And the morning-after pill would be useless for a woman with an ectopic pregnancy. It only has a hope in Hell of working within 72 hours of sex. By the time an ectopic pregnancy is diagnosed (about 12 weeks) -- or any pregnancy at all, now that I come to mention it -- you may as well give the woman sugar-water.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Crockerland
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Crockerland » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:06 am

Necroghastia wrote:

Why is that a thing that you hope for?

Well I don't think any human life should be ended outside of very specific circumstances, such as self-defense, consensual euthanasia, or war, so if the morning-after pill ends a human life (regardless of what stage of development it is at) outside of those circumstances, I would hope it would be banned because banning it would protect that life.

Vassenor wrote:Or we could stop legislating what women can do with their own bodies.

Like taking crack while pregnant so their baby is born a drug addict with permanent physical damage? No thanks.

You are free to do more or less whatever you want with your body up until the point you harm another party. IE: My foot is part of my body, but if I walk into court and kick a judge, my bodily autonomy does not protect me from prosecution.
PROUD SUPPORTER OF:
National Liberalism, Nuclear & Geothermal Power, GMOs, Vaccines, Biodiesel, LGBTIA equality, Universal Healthcare, Universal Basic Income, Constitutional Carry, Emotional Support Twinks, Right to Life

Totenborg
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 23, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Totenborg » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:36 am

Crockerland wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:Why is that a thing that you hope for?

Well I don't think any human life should be ended outside of very specific circumstances, such as self-defense, consensual euthanasia, or war, so if the morning-after pill ends a human life (regardless of what stage of development it is at) outside of those circumstances, I would hope it would be banned because banning it would protect that life.

Vassenor wrote:Or we could stop legislating what women can do with their own bodies.

Like taking crack while pregnant so their baby is born a drug addict with permanent physical damage? No thanks.

You are free to do more or less whatever you want with your body up until the point you harm another party. IE: My foot is part of my body, but if I walk into court and kick a judge, my bodily autonomy does not protect me from prosecution.

And how do you feel about antibiotics, anti-parasitics, or anti-fungals? How about eating meat? What about driving?
Do you feel that women do not constitute life?
Rabid anti-fascist.
Existential nihilist.
Lifer metalhead.
Unrepentant fan of birds.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:49 am

Crockerland wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:Why is that a thing that you hope for?

So basically women are baby factories and nothing more because your fee-fees say so?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:56 am

Crockerland wrote:I don't think any human life should be ended outside of very specific circumstances, such as self-defense, consensual euthanasia, or war, so if the morning-after pill ends a human life (regardless of what stage of development it is at) outside of those circumstances, I would hope it would be banned because banning it would protect that life.

This is a very specific circumstance. A foreign entity is inhabiting my body without my consent, it needs to get the fuck out. The fact that said foreign entity dies in the process of its removal is not enough to override my bodily sovereignty to create a situation of de facto enslavement of my body for 9 months. And the "human life" you are describing when the morning after pill is used is actually arguably non-existent:

Pregnancy does not happen during sex. Sperm can live inside your body for up to 6 days, waiting for an egg.

The morning after pills work in the time between the act of having sex and becoming pregnant. This can take anywhere up to 6 days. The pill temporarily stops the ovary from releasing an egg, thereby not allowing sperm the access it needs for fertilization. Without fertilization, a woman is unable to become pregnant.

https://www.birthcontrol.com/options/mo ... fter-pill/

Crockerland wrote:I would hope it would be banned because banning it would protect that life.

As I said earlier, you are hoping for the complete opposite of current reality, as well as the opposite of what the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists is recommending, so your hope is entirely unrealistic I'm afraid.

Crockerland wrote:You are free to do more or less whatever you want with your body up until the point you harm another party. IE: My foot is part of my body, but if I walk into court and kick a judge, my bodily autonomy does not protect me from prosecution.

The fetus is not a person. And even if, if, it was, you would be giving it a right that no other person has, i.e. the woman being forced to sign over her body for the medical necessity of another. See McFall v Shimp.

And what you are describing is a criminal offence, abortion is not.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:03 am

Vassenor wrote:
Crockerland wrote:Well I don't think any human life should be ended outside of very specific circumstances, such as self-defense, consensual euthanasia, or war, so if the morning-after pill ends a human life (regardless of what stage of development it is at) outside of those circumstances, I would hope it would be banned because banning it would protect that life.

So basically women are baby factories and nothing more because your fee-fees say so?

It would be interesting to see a Venn Diagram of anti-abortionists and an-cap/libertarians who want to abolish social welfare.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

Crockerland
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Crockerland » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:32 am

Crockerland wrote:I don't think any human life should be ended outside of very specific circumstances, such as self-defense, consensual euthanasia, or war, so if the morning-after pill ends a human life (regardless of what stage of development it is at) outside of those circumstances, I would hope it would be banned because banning it would protect that life.

This is a very specific circumstance. A foreign entity is inhabiting my body without my consent, it needs to get the fuck out. The fact that said foreign entity dies in the process of its removal is not enough to override my bodily sovereignty to create a situation of de facto enslavement of my body for 9 months.

Without your consent? As I said, rape victims should be able to get the pill or other forms of abortion.

If you had consensual sex, it's not "without consent", if it was then the deadbeat dads of the nation would certainly not consent to paying their child support, and women who starve their children to death just wouldn't consent to the breach of bodily autonomy necessary to feed their child.

The New California Republic wrote:And the "human life" you are describing when the morning after pill is used is actually arguably non-existent:
Pregnancy does not happen during sex. Sperm can live inside your body for up to 6 days, waiting for an egg.

The morning after pills work in the time between the act of having sex and becoming pregnant. This can take anywhere up to 6 days. The pill temporarily stops the ovary from releasing an egg, thereby not allowing sperm the access it needs for fertilization. Without fertilization, a woman is unable to become pregnant.

https://www.birthcontrol.com/options/mo ... fter-pill/

The morning after pill may also kill an embryo as I stated above:
Crockerland wrote:https://www.nationalreview.com/2014/10/yes-plan-b-can-kill-embryos-donna-harrison/

Hence why I made it very clear IF it is determined that the morning after pill DOES cause death, it should be banned, and otherwise, it should remain legal.

Crockerland wrote:You are free to do more or less whatever you want with your body up until the point you harm another party. IE: My foot is part of my body, but if I walk into court and kick a judge, my bodily autonomy does not protect me from prosecution.

The fetus is not a person.

A fetus is a living human being, but even non-human animals are entitled to legal protections. I cannot refuse to feed my dog and let it starve to death, regardless of my right to bodily autonomy. This does not make my dog a person.
The New California Republic wrote:And even if, if, it was, you would be giving it a right that no other person has, i.e. the woman being forced to sign over her body for the medical necessity of another. See McFall v Shimp.

If a woman refuses to feed her infant child and he starves to death, she can certainly try to claim in court that the precedence of McFall v Shimp protects her "right" to do so, since it would force her to surrender her autonomous ability to choose not to walk over to her child and give it food, dictating where her body can and cannot be, what she must and mustn't do with her legs and arms, etc. However, outside of perhaps New York or California, that defense would rather obviously not hold up to the scrutiny of any competent judge.

All children have a right to life, if you kill them, whether that be via depriving them of resources they need to survive, like food, water, or the numerous provisions the womb provides to the unborn, or drilling a hole in their head and sucking their brain out with a vacuum catheter, you have violated that right. Acknowledging that does not create any new right or bestow upon the unborn any right which is not already clearly and presently recognized for born children.
The New California Republic wrote:And what you are describing is a criminal offence, abortion is not.

1. It should be.
2. It is a criminal offense in many places. Do you mean just in the UK? Because if so I'm not sure why you cited a United States court case (McFall v Shimp) as if that has some effect on the UK's law. I guess other nations' laws are applicable when it's convenient for your argument, and not applicable when they aren't?
PROUD SUPPORTER OF:

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:59 am

Crockerland wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:This is a very specific circumstance. A foreign entity is inhabiting my body without my consent, it needs to get the fuck out. The fact that said foreign entity dies in the process of its removal is not enough to override my bodily sovereignty to create a situation of de facto enslavement of my body for 9 months.

Without your consent? As I said, rape victims should be able to get the pill or other forms of abortion.

If you had consensual sex, it's not "without consent"

Consent to sex =/= consent to pregnancy. We have said this time and time again. And you also seem to be forgetting that first line contraceptives like condoms can and do fail, hence the need for the morning after pill in such circumstances.

Crockerland wrote:Hence why I made it very clear IF it is determined that the morning after pill DOES cause death, it should be banned, and otherwise, it should remain legal.

No. It is necessary as a second line in case the first line fails.

Crockerland wrote:A fetus is a living human being, but even non-human animals are entitled to legal protections. I cannot refuse to feed my dog and let it starve to death, regardless of my right to bodily autonomy. This does not make my dog a person.

What a quite frankly weird and creepy comparison that is in no way equivalent to what we are talking about.

Crockerland wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:And even if, if, it was, you would be giving it a right that no other person has, i.e. the woman being forced to sign over her body for the medical necessity of another. See McFall v Shimp.

If a woman refuses to feed her infant child and he starves to death, she can certainly try to claim in court that the precedence of McFall v Shimp protects her "right" to do so, since it would force her to surrender her autonomous ability to choose not to walk over to her child and give it food, dictating where her body can and cannot be, what she must and mustn't do with her legs and arms, etc. However, outside of perhaps New York or California, that defense would rather obviously not hold up to the scrutiny of any competent judge.

On the basis of this and the previous example you gave, you seem to have a very confused understanding of what bodily autonomy is in regards to the abortion debate, as the scenario you are depicting here is not relevant at all.

Crockerland wrote:All children have a right to life, if you kill them, whether that be via depriving them of resources they need to survive, like food, water, or the numerous provisions the womb provides to the unborn, or drilling a hole in their head and sucking their brain out with a vacuum catheter, you have violated that right.

Born children do. A fetus is neither born nor a child.

Crockerland wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:And what you are describing is a criminal offence, abortion is not.

It is a criminal offense in many places. Do you mean just in the UK? Because if so I'm not sure why you cited a United States court case (McFall v Shimp) as if that has some effect on the UK's law. I guess other nations' laws are applicable when it's convenient for your argument, and not applicable when they aren't?

I'm citing it as an example since this thread usually discusses US law in relation to abortion. The precedent in the abortion threads is that US and UK law are usually discussed, and occasionally others.

Wave on, wave on

Crockerland
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Crockerland » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:33 am

Crockerland wrote:

If you had consensual sex, it's not "without consent"

Consent to sex =/= consent to pregnancy. We have said this time and time again.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_nauseam

Again, if consent to sex wasn't consent to pregnancy, men would be able to abandon their children without paying child support and women with born children would have no duty to care for them.

The New California Republic wrote:And you also seem to be forgetting that first line contraceptives like condoms can and do fail, hence the need for the morning after pill in such circumstances.

That's cool up until the point it harms another human being, born or unborn.
Crockerland wrote:Hence why I made it very clear IF it is determined that the morning after pill DOES cause death, it should be banned, and otherwise, it should remain legal.

No. It is necessary as a second line in case the first line fails.

As long as it doesn't kill an unborn child. The first line is just not having sex with anyone who you aren't willing to get pregnant by. After birth control pills, condoms, birth control implants, plan B is pretty far down the list.
Crockerland wrote:A fetus is a living human being, but even non-human animals are entitled to legal protections. I cannot refuse to feed my dog and let it starve to death, regardless of my right to bodily autonomy. This does not make my dog a person.

What a quite frankly weird and creepy comparison that is in no way equivalent to what we are talking about.

Killing unborn children is weird and creepy. A fetus not being a person would not mean you could now deprive it of sustenance until it died. The quality or lack thereof of personhood does not determine whether you can or cannot kill a living being. The meaning of the example is very obvious and I really shouldn't need to explain it to you.

Crockerland wrote:

On the basis of this and the previous example you gave, you seem to have a very confused understanding of what bodily autonomy is in regards to the abortion debate, as the scenario you are depicting here is not relevant at all.

Starving a child to death is a very relevant example. Either you should be able to kill human beings by depriving them of necessary sustenance or not.

Crockerland wrote:All children have a right to life, if you kill them, whether that be via depriving them of resources they need to survive, like food, water, or the numerous provisions the womb provides to the unborn, or drilling a hole in their head and sucking their brain out with a vacuum catheter, you have violated that right.

Born children do. A fetus is neither born nor a child.

Okay, so then you were completely wrong to say "And even if, if, it [unborn baby] was [a person], you would be giving it a right that no other person has", because this is a right we are recognizing that these born children have. Hence the entire point of why I was talking about that in the first place. That's also why I ended the paragraph with "Acknowledging that does not create any new right or bestow upon the unborn any right which is not already clearly and presently recognized for born children," though you conveniently clipped this off when quoting me.

Also "Born children"? Okay, if you need to specify that they're "born children", then there's another class of children, namely, unborn children. So yes, it is a child.
PROUD SUPPORTER OF:

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:38 am

Crockerland wrote:Okay, so then you were completely wrong to say "And even if, if, it [unborn baby] was [a person], you would be giving it a right that no other person has", because this is a right we are recognizing that these born children have.

Born children do not have the right to demand a bloodtransfusion or use of their mothers internal organs. Nor do adults for that matter.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:00 am

Crockerland wrote:Again, if consent to sex wasn't consent to pregnancy, men would be able to abandon their children without paying child support and women with born children would have no duty to care for them.

That does not follow at all, in the former because the man isn't the one getting pregnant (we are discussing bodily sovereignty after all), and in the latter because women can and do give up their children up for adoption, hence washing their hands of their "duty to care for them".

Crockerland wrote:That's cool up until the point it harms another human being, born or unborn.

You said earlier that "special circumstances" override it. Isn't having a foreign entity inhabiting one's body a "special circumstance"?

Crockerland wrote:As long as it doesn't kill an unborn child. The first line is just not having sex with anyone who you aren't willing to get pregnant by.

So we are back that same "pregnancy as punishment for sex" bs again. Everybody drink.

Crockerland wrote:The quality or lack thereof of personhood does not determine whether you can or cannot kill a living being.

But it does determine how we view the fetus in legal terms. Something with personhood has vastly more rights than those without, as shown that many rights are dependent upon it.

Crockerland wrote:Starving a child to death is a very relevant example. Either you should be able to kill human beings by depriving them of necessary sustenance or not.

It is not at all relevant to the bodily sovereignty argument. Quit it with the goalpost moving.

Crockerland wrote:Okay, so then you were completely wrong to say "And even if, if, it [unborn baby] was [a person], you would be giving it a right that no other person has", because this is a right we are recognizing that these born children have.

Children do not have the right to usurp the body of the woman by inhabiting them and leeching nutrients, and neither does anyone else, so I don't know what the fuck you are trying to say here.

Crockerland wrote:Hence the entire point of why I was talking about that in the first place. That's also why I ended the paragraph with "Acknowledging that does not create any new right or bestow upon the unborn any right which is not already clearly and presently recognized for born children," though you conveniently clipped this off when quoting me.

It was snipped off because it was nonsensical in relation to bodily sovereignty.

Crockerland wrote:Also "Born children"? Okay, if you need to specify that they're "born children", then there's another class of children, namely, unborn children. So yes, it is a child.

No it doesn't, I said that to emphasise that children are by definition born, so your interpretation of what I said is entirely spurious, and your conclusion does not follow.
Last edited by The New California Republic on Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:08 am, edited 3 times in total.

Wave on, wave on

Kernen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:05 am

Crockerland wrote:
Again, if consent to sex wasn't consent to pregnancy, men would be able to abandon their children without paying child support and women with born children would have no duty to care for them.

That society hasn't successfully managed to rectify an inequity doesn't mean we need to excuse further inequities.
Killing unborn children is weird and creepy. A fetus not being a person would not mean you could now deprive it of sustenance until it died. The quality or lack thereof of personhood does not determine whether you can or cannot kill a living being. The meaning of the example is very obvious and I really shouldn't need to explain it to you.

There's no penalty for a woman engaging in poor neonatal care, including depriving the fetus of necessary nutrients. The downstream consequences of that would be concerning. There's a difference between choosing to forego personal care that has an incidental effect on others and choosing to forego care of another.
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Get abortions, do drugs, own guns, but never misstate legal procedure.

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:10 am

Why do some people on this thread bizarrely believe that preventing ovulation (morning after pill) constitutes an abortion?
Labour Party (UK), Progressive Democrat (US)
Left Without Edge
Former Senator Barry Anderson (R-MO)

Governor Tara Misra (R-KY)

Representative John Atang (D-NY03)

Governor Max Smith (R-AZ)

State Senator Simon Hawkins (D-IA)

Join Land of Hope and Glory - a UK political RP project

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:14 am

Agarntrop wrote:Why do some people on this thread bizarrely believe that preventing ovulation (morning after pill) constitutes an abortion?

Some people get confused and think that emergency contraceptive pills, or morning after pills, are the same as “abortion pills”. They aren’t. Emergency contraception is used to prevent pregnancy before it begins, and works primarily or perhaps exclusively by delaying or inhibiting ovulation; it does not cause an abortion.

https://ec.princeton.edu/questions/morningafter.html

Wave on, wave on

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:16 am

Agarntrop wrote:Why do some people on this thread bizarrely believe that preventing ovulation (morning after pill) constitutes an abortion?

Some people get confused and think that emergency contraceptive pills, or morning after pills, are the same as “abortion pills”. They aren’t. Emergency contraception is used to prevent pregnancy before it begins, and works primarily or perhaps exclusively by delaying or inhibiting ovulation; it does not cause an abortion.

https://ec.princeton.edu/questions/morningafter.html

I know. That's what I said.
Left Without Edge

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:19 am

Agarntrop wrote:

I know. That's what I said.

Indeed, I was just giving it added context.

Wave on, wave on

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:20 am

Agarntrop wrote:I know. That's what I said.

Indeed, I was just giving it added context.

Oh okay.
Left Without Edge

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:27 am

Crockerland wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:This is a very specific circumstance. A foreign entity is inhabiting my body without my consent, it needs to get the fuck out. The fact that said foreign entity dies in the process of its removal is not enough to override my bodily sovereignty to create a situation of de facto enslavement of my body for 9 months.

What makes a zygote/embryo/fetus conceived via rape any different from one conceived through consensual sex?
Ah, wait, that's right, can't use the "sluts should be punished for opening their legs" logic.
If you had consensual sex, it's not "without consent",

Consent to an action is not consent to things that may arise from that action. Would you say that getting in a car is consenting to being in an accident, and thus hospitals should refuse to treat you and garages refuse to fix your car?
if it was then the deadbeat dads of the nation would certainly not consent to paying their child support, and women who starve their children to death just wouldn't consent to the breach of bodily autonomy necessary to feed their child.

In what world do you live in where kids can't be put up for adoption?

The fetus is not a person.

A fetus is a living human being, but even non-human animals are entitled to legal protections. I cannot refuse to feed my dog and let it starve to death, regardless of my right to bodily autonomy. This does not make my dog a person.

No one can stop you from killing a non-person animal in a humane way, though. That's kinda how meat farming works.

Taking potshots at NY and Cali for being lolberuhl, everybody drink.

1. It should be.

Nah. There's no logical reason for that.
2. It is a criminal offense in many places.

There's a lot of things that are law for no good reason in different countries. Should we all celebrate the Kims as the true gods of this planet just because North Korea does?
Last edited by Necroghastia on Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

Crockerland
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Crockerland » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:31 pm

Crockerland wrote:Again, if consent to sex wasn't consent to pregnancy, men would be able to abandon their children without paying child support and women with born children would have no duty to care for them.

That does not follow at all, in the former because the man isn't the one getting pregnant (we are discussing bodily sovereignty after all), and in the latter because women can and do give up their children up for adoption, hence washing their hands of their "duty to care for them".

A woman can wait 9 months, give birth, and then put her child up for adoption too.

Crockerland wrote:That's cool up until the point it harms another human being, born or unborn.

You said earlier that "special circumstances" override it. Isn't having a foreign entity inhabiting one's body a "special circumstance"?

That's not what I said at all. I said:
Crockerland wrote:I don't think any human life should be ended outside of very specific circumstances, such as self-defense, consensual euthanasia, or war,

"Very specific circumstances" not "special". "Meh, I don't really feel like having a child, guess I'll just murder it" is not among the specific circumstances.
Crockerland wrote:As long as it doesn't kill an unborn child. The first line is just not having sex with anyone who you aren't willing to get pregnant by.

So we are back that same "pregnancy as punishment for sex" bs again. Everybody drink.

Yes.

Crockerland wrote:The quality or lack thereof of personhood does not determine whether you can or cannot kill a living being.

But it does determine how we view the fetus in legal terms. Something with personhood has vastly more rights than those without, as shown that many rights are dependent upon it.

Well, I don't know of any definition of "people" which excludes children, and all unborn children are expressly conferred the title of "child" by the Unborn Victims of Violence Act signed into law by president Bush.

Crockerland wrote:Starving a child to death is a very relevant example. Either you should be able to kill human beings by depriving them of necessary sustenance or not.

It is not at all relevant to the bodily sovereignty argument. Quit it with the goalpost moving.

The goalpost was always "I don't think any human life should be ended outside of very specific circumstances". Your inability to score does not mean it moved.

Children do not have the right to usurp the body of the woman by inhabiting them and leeching nutrients, and neither does anyone else, so I don't know what the fuck you are trying to say here.

No right to leech nutrients? So if you refuse to give your newborn baby breast milk and it starves to death, you will not be charged with a crime?

Crockerland wrote:Also "Born children"? Okay, if you need to specify that they're "born children", then there's another class of children, namely, unborn children. So yes, it is a child.

No it doesn't, I said that to emphasise that children are by definition born, so your interpretation of what I said is entirely spurious, and your conclusion does not follow.

From the Lexico Oxford dictionary:
https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/child
Children
1. A young human being below the age of puberty or below the legal age of majority.

‘she'd been playing tennis since she was a child’
‘the film is not suitable for children’

From the Merriam-Webster dictionary
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/child
1 a : an unborn or recently born person

Well I specifically linked an article citing that two studies suggested it could kill a fertilized embryo... Twice.

Necroghastia wrote:
Crockerland wrote:

What makes a zygote/embryo/fetus conceived via rape any different from one conceived through consensual sex?

The rape. It's the rape that makes it different. A woman was raped.

Hope that clears things up for you.

Necroghastia wrote:Ah, wait, that's right, can't use the "sluts should be punished for opening their legs" logic.

Well, rape victims aren't sluts, no. I don't think it's immoral to have sex with your boyfriend, it's murdering the unborn child I take issue with.

Necroghastia wrote:
If you had consensual sex, it's not "without consent",

Consent to an action is not consent to things that may arise from that action. Would you say that getting in a car is consenting to being in an accident, and thus hospitals should refuse to treat you and garages refuse to fix your car?

You're absolutely right, if I get into my car and run a bunch of people down while driving blindfolded, I in no way consented to paying their medical bills.

:eyebrow:

Necroghastia wrote:
if it was then the deadbeat dads of the nation would certainly not consent to paying their child support, and women who starve their children to death just wouldn't consent to the breach of bodily autonomy necessary to feed their child.

In what world do you live in where kids can't be put up for adoption?

Adoption is not instantaneous. I can't think of any non-arbitrary distinction between forcing someone to provide for a born child in the time needed to put it up for adoption and forcing someone to provide for an unborn child for 9 months until birth.
Necroghastia wrote:

No one can stop you from killing a non-person animal in a humane way, though. That's kinda how meat farming works.

Are you killing the Fetus for meat? Well I suppose with Planned Parenthood at the helm of the industry it's possible.

But sure, you can euthanize an animal, assuming it's your animal, but the point is that the law requires you to provide for that animal up until the point at which you carry out that euthanasia. So to act like being required to provide for another living creature under penalty of law requires that that living creature be a legal person would be incorrect.

Necroghastia wrote:

Taking potshots at NY and Cali for being lolberuhl, everybody drink.

They're shitholes, and pretty far from Liberal. Liberal locales don't prosecute transgender men for being assaulted in transphobic hate crimes.

Necroghastia wrote:

1. It should be.

Nah. There's no logical reason for that.

Killing unborn children is reason enough.

Necroghastia wrote:
2. It is a criminal offense in many places.

There's a lot of things that are law for no good reason in different countries. Should we all celebrate the Kims as the true gods of this planet just because North Korea does?

No more than abortion should be legal everywhere just because it's legal in the UK.
PROUD SUPPORTER OF:

The V O I D
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 13, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The V O I D » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:40 pm

>tHe WoMaN sHoUlD jUsT wAiT aNd PuT tHe ChIlD uP fOr AdOpTiOn

That doesn't solve unwanted pregnancy! If a woman doesn't desire to be pregnant, her only recourse is to abort the pregnancy. Adoption doesn't solve it - and it also implies the woman has to stick with the unwanted pregnancy until birth.

Are women broodmares for having the audacity to get pregnant by accident when they take the necessary precautions, now? If so, since fucking when and I'd like your sourcing on such matters. Where in the Constitution or literally any legal document on Earth and in international law are women acknowledged as broodmares? Go on, I'll wait.

Contraceptives can and do fail. Sex is not just for reproduction; sex is an activity that happens and a great many people do it for fun, or because they love their partner and want to fuck. That doesn't mean they want kids, or are ready for kids.

Stop with this fucking stupid argument, it has been dismissed over and over and over, and at this point, it pisses me off to see it brought up again.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General