NATION

PASSWORD

[Abortion Thread] (YET ANOTHER POLL!) Taking measure.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What policies would you use to reduce abortion numbers?

Welfare Support for Single Mothers
17%
Free Pregnancy-Related Health Care
17%
Comprehensive Sex Education
21%
Free Contraception
17%
Monetary Incentives (Child Care, Tax Incentives, Kid-Related Healthcare, specify if needed)
13%
No Changes
2%
Procedure Ban (Not outlawing abortion itself, but specific procedures)
3%
Outright Ban (With exceptions or without)
10%

Total votes : 2870

Antityranicals
Minister

Founded: May 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Antityranicals » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:30 pm

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:
Antityranicals wrote:Exactly. Similarly, thousands of people wishing it does not change the constitution.

That applies to you too.

Yes. Good thing I'm going by the letter, which says nothing about judicial review.
Compass: Right: 9.94, Libertarian: -5.84
Catholic Libertarian. Gov't has no authority, all authority is from God. God grants us free will, gov't should not infringe upon it. Legislating morality is wrong. Only exception is protecting rights to life, liberty, and property. Abortion is killing an infant, one of the few things gov't should prevent. Pro-Trump, he's been an effective weapon against real enemies of freedom: The Left, but I wish he were more for free trade, more against deficits. Unrestrained capitalism is a great thing; it does wonders for standards of living of everyone, especially the poor.
HS student in the USA. Male. XC runner, 17:30 5k, 4:59 mile. I enjoy singing, sushi, eating large quantities of food, and eating large quantities of sushi.

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:30 pm

Kernen wrote:
Antityranicals wrote:The constitution is constitutional law. Whatever experts make up and call constitutional law is not.

Also not how it works. Even Originalists disagree. So answering on the bar exam would cause you to fail the question, and making that argument before a court, appellate or trial, would result in your losing on the merits.

The entire premise of common law suggests otherwise, really.

You know Herr Antityranicals. I think I'm going to trust the resident legal guy over somebody wishing for the Moon to fall.
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:30 pm

Antityranicals wrote:
Galloism wrote:

That's an unintentional imposition (and, arguably, less of an imposition than an unwanted pregnancy). Is homicide a proportionate response?

Because there is a substantial risk of death, yes, though it is your obligation to try to avoid killing him while still stopping him. The risk of death in pregnancy is practially non-existent with modern technology, and to the extent that it does exist, it cannot be reduced by abortion.

Let's assume the risk of death in this scenario is less than pregnancy, and there's no way to stop without killing him.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:31 pm

Alessandretta wrote:
Godular wrote:
A pregnancy is inherently life-threatening.

No.

Yes.

It's near the bottom of the 20-44 age column, but the point is that it's there, which means that yes it very much is life-threatening.
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Alessandretta
Secretary

Founded: Apr 23, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Alessandretta » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:31 pm

Kernen wrote:
Galloism wrote:Most.

That strikes me as difficult to believe. The criminal statutes I'm familiar with seem to make, as a matter of course, exceptions for victims of potential sexual violence.

Alessandretta wrote:
No.

And yet, people go to doctors all the time when reproducing.

Humans and Animals give birth from the dawn of time.

Today we Aldo have a good level of medical care

So? We Need to kill a baby only because dont want loose your sarurday party?

Antityranicals
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Antityranicals » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:31 pm

Kernen wrote:
Antityranicals wrote:The constitution is constitutional law. Whatever experts make up and call constitutional law is not.

Also not how it works. Even Originalists disagree. So answering on the bar exam would cause you to fail the question, and making that argument before a court, appellate or trial, would result in your losing on the merits.

A group of people calling themselves originalists does not make them so.
Last edited by Antityranicals on Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Catholic Libertarian. Gov't has no authority, all authority is from God. God grants us free will, gov't should not infringe upon it. Legislating morality is wrong. Only exception is protecting rights to life, liberty, and property. Abortion is killing an infant, one of the few things gov't should prevent. Pro-Trump, he's been an effective weapon against real enemies of freedom: The Left, but I wish he were more for free trade, more against deficits. Unrestrained capitalism is a great thing; it does wonders for standards of living of everyone, especially the poor.
HS student in the USA. Male. XC runner, 17:30 5k, 4:59 mile. I enjoy singing, sushi, eating large quantities of food, and eating large quantities of sushi.

Kernen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:31 pm

Antityranicals wrote:
Kernen wrote:That strikes me as difficult to believe. The criminal statutes I'm familiar with seem to make, as a matter of course, exceptions for victims of potential sexual violence.

99% of times when people go to the doctor are not life-threatening incidents.

Are you arguing that pregnancy does not bear significant medical risks?
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Get abortions, do drugs, own guns, but never misstate legal procedure.

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:32 pm

Kernen wrote:

You know Herr Antityranicals. I think I'm going to trust the resident legal guy over somebody wishing for the Moon to fall.

Also wishing for America to turn into Paraguay but
*shrug*
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Antityranicals
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Antityranicals » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:33 pm

Kernen wrote:
Antityranicals wrote:99% of times when people go to the doctor are not life-threatening incidents.

Are you arguing that pregnancy does not bear significant medical risks?

No, I'm arguing that pregnancy does not bear significant risks of death. There are other things which can come of them, but death is exceedingly rare, and where it does happen, abortion would not help.

Antityranicals
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Antityranicals » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:33 pm

Kernen wrote:

Nothing's as easy as inventing a false metaphor...

Alessandretta
Secretary

Founded: Apr 23, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Alessandretta » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:34 pm

Godular wrote:
Alessandretta wrote:
No.

Yes.

It's near the bottom of the 20-44 age column, but the point is that it's there, which means that yes it very much is life-threatening.

Then I hope he asked your mother for forgiveness for attempting her life

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:34 pm

Galloism wrote:
Godular wrote:
Now you've misrepresented MY argument, though I can see how it might have been implied in my earlier misspeak.

My primary focus was in stating that it is wrong to deny the born woman her established rights in favor of an entity that has not yet qualified for those rights.

I'd say there's simpler and more defensible justifications.

However, to the original post - the constitution doesn't state nor imply you need to be born to have rights. The 14th does establish a right to citizenship based on birth at a specified location. That's it.

In fact, we inherited it from English common law. The constitution is absolutely silent on it.

SCOTUS wasn't - in Roe vs Wade, they decided that person in the constitution does not include the unborn - based on English Common Law.

And then it states that no citizen shall be deprived of their life/liberty/property without due process of law, nor deny equal protection.

It strikes me that forcing a woman to carry a pregnancy to term without her consent is not at all in keeping with equal protections under the law.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:34 pm

Antityranicals wrote:
Kernen wrote:

Someone calling themselves an originalist does not make them so.

No, but generally contributing to the theory is a great qualification, and the people making the Originalist argument in legal contexts, such as Scalia and Dworkin (to the extent that he is an originalist and not a textualist) are the ones making this argument.

Again, your argument is akin to shouting at a wall. No matter how much you yell, the wall isn't moving. No matter how much you argue that it's not constitutional because judicial review isn't an enumerated power, our system has accepted the power and the results.
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:35 pm

Antityranicals wrote:
Kernen wrote:Are you arguing that pregnancy does not bear significant medical risks?

No, I'm arguing that pregnancy does not bear significant risks of death. There are other things which can come of them, but death is exceedingly rare, and where it does happen, abortion would not help.

Ending the pregnancy beforehand would neatly avoid the risk.

Lawful Evil

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:36 pm

Alessandretta wrote:
Godular wrote:
Yes.

Then I hope he asked your mother for forgiveness for attempting her life

Strawman noted and summarily immolated.

My mother accepted the risks for herself, but is also one of the first people I know that will champion the woman's right to not be forced into accepting that risk against her will.
New to F7? Click here!

Antityranicals
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Antityranicals » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:37 pm

Godular wrote:
Galloism wrote:I'd say there's simpler and more defensible justifications.

However, to the original post - the constitution doesn't state nor imply you need to be born to have rights. The 14th does establish a right to citizenship based on birth at a specified location. That's it.

In fact, we inherited it from English common law. The constitution is absolutely silent on it.

SCOTUS wasn't - in Roe vs Wade, they decided that person in the constitution does not include the unborn - based on English Common Law.

And then it states that no citizen shall be deprived of their life/liberty/property without due process of law, nor deny equal protection.

It strikes me that forcing a woman to carry a pregnancy to term without her consent is not at all in keeping with equal protections under the law.

Nobody's forcing her to carry a pregnancy to term. If there were a way to end a pregnancy while the child survives, I'd be happy with it. But the law would force her not to kill the child. I suppose not allowing parents to kill their born children is also not at all in keeping with equal protections under the law, as the parent can be left with an unwanted burden...

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:38 pm

Alessandretta wrote:
Kernen wrote:That strikes me as difficult to believe. The criminal statutes I'm familiar with seem to make, as a matter of course, exceptions for victims of potential sexual violence.

Humans and Animals give birth from the dawn of time.

Today we Aldo have a good level of medical care

So? We Need to kill a baby only because dont want loose your sarurday party?

And women died in birth at a comparatively prolific rate. Part of that medical care involves being able to avoid taking risks in the first place. Like getting an abortion.

No, my wife and I aborted her pregnancy because we didn't want to make a financially insane decision.

Lawful Evil

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:39 pm

Antityranicals wrote:
Kernen wrote:Are you arguing that pregnancy does not bear significant medical risks?

Stop lying. The fact that the threat to life is extant at all and would not exist otherwise makes it sufficiently significant. If the woman does not wish to take such risks upon herself, an abortion very much rectifies the problem.
New to F7? Click here!

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:39 pm

Antityranicals wrote:
Godular wrote:

Nobody's forcing her to carry a pregnancy to term. If there were a way to end a pregnancy while the child survives, I'd be happy with it. But the law would force her not to kill the child. I suppose not allowing parents to kill their born children is also not at all in keeping with equal protections under the law, as the parent can be left with an unwanted burden...

Protections don't generally kick in until after birth, so its easy to make a legal distinction between a born child and a fetus.

Lawful Evil

Antityranicals
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Antityranicals » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:39 pm

Kernen wrote:
Antityranicals wrote:Someone calling themselves an originalist does not make them so.

No, but generally contributing to the theory is a great qualification, and the people making the Originalist argument in legal contexts, such as Scalia and Dworkin (to the extent that he is an originalist and not a textualist) are the ones making this argument.

Again, your argument is akin to shouting at a wall. No matter how much you yell, the wall isn't moving. No matter how much you argue that it's not constitutional because judicial review isn't an enumerated power, our system has accepted the power and the results.

Sadly, yes, the United States de facto abandoned the constitution a long time ago...
Last edited by Antityranicals on Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:39 pm

Antityranicals wrote:
Godular wrote:

"I'm not forcing her to carry to term, I'm just forcing her to carry to term."
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:40 pm

Antityranicals wrote:
Kernen wrote:No, but generally contributing to the theory is a great qualification, and the people making the Originalist argument in legal contexts, such as Scalia and Dworkin (to the extent that he is an originalist and not a textualist) are the ones making this argument.

Sadly, yes, the United States de facto abandoned the constitution a long time ago...

You'd make a shit lawyer.

Lawful Evil

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:41 pm

Antityranicals wrote:
Godular wrote:

Nobody's forcing her to carry a pregnancy to term.

Except you are arguing for very specifically that thing.

If there were a way to end a pregnancy while the child survives, I'd be happy with it. But the law would force her not to kill the child.

Which is forcing her to carry an unwanted pregnancy to term.
New to F7? Click here!

Antityranicals
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Antityranicals » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:42 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Antityranicals wrote:Nobody's forcing her to carry a pregnancy to term. If there were a way to end a pregnancy while the child survives, I'd be happy with it. But the law would force her not to kill the child. I suppose not allowing parents to kill their born children is also not at all in keeping with equal protections under the law, as the parent can be left with an unwanted burden...

"I'm not forcing her to carry to term, I'm just forcing her to carry to term."

Any solution which doesn't involve homicide is okay. If IVF is a thing, there's no real reason why the same cannot happen the other way around.

Antityranicals
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Antityranicals » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:44 pm

Godular wrote:
Antityranicals wrote:Nobody's forcing her to carry a pregnancy to term.

Except you are arguing for very specifically that thing.

If there were a way to end a pregnancy while the child survives, I'd be happy with it. But the law would force her not to kill the child.

Which is forcing her to carry an unwanted pregnancy to term.

Perhaps for now, similarly to how ending slavery forced slaveowners to accept lower profits. But as technology advances, there's no reason why there cannot be reverse IVF, or something akin to that...
Last edited by Antityranicals on Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General