NATION

PASSWORD

[Abortion Thread] (YET ANOTHER POLL!) Taking measure.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What policies would you use to reduce abortion numbers?

Welfare Support for Single Mothers
17%
Free Pregnancy-Related Health Care
17%
Comprehensive Sex Education
21%
Free Contraception
17%
Monetary Incentives (Child Care, Tax Incentives, Kid-Related Healthcare, specify if needed)
13%
No Changes
2%
Procedure Ban (Not outlawing abortion itself, but specific procedures)
3%
Outright Ban (With exceptions or without)
10%

Total votes : 2870

Antityranicals
Minister

Founded: May 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Antityranicals » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:21 pm

Godular wrote:
Antityranicals wrote:A fetus is a baby!

It has not yet been born, which is a very critical distinction. Before birth, it presents an imposition upon the rights of the woman within whom it resides. After birth, it does not. It is wrong to force a woman to allow another born person to use the woman's body without her consent, and it is by the same logic wrong to force a woman to allow an 'unborn' person to use the woman's body without her consent.

Homicide is not proportional to an unintentional imposition.
Compass: Right: 9.94, Libertarian: -5.84
Catholic Libertarian. Gov't has no authority, all authority is from God. God grants us free will, gov't should not infringe upon it. Legislating morality is wrong. Only exception is protecting rights to life, liberty, and property. Abortion is killing an infant, one of the few things gov't should prevent. Pro-Trump, he's been an effective weapon against real enemies of freedom: The Left, but I wish he were more for free trade, more against deficits. Unrestrained capitalism is a great thing; it does wonders for standards of living of everyone, especially the poor.
HS student in the USA. Male. XC runner, 17:30 5k, 4:59 mile. I enjoy singing, sushi, eating large quantities of food, and eating large quantities of sushi.

Kernen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:22 pm

Antityranicals wrote:
Kernen wrote:
Thats one theory. It isn't the theory held by basically any legal scholars, so it does you about as much good as screaming at a wall.

Legal scholars can go ahead and be wrong. Read the damn constitution.

I have. As have they. Sufficiently that I get to practice law in many states, and for them, sufficiently that they get to be judges.

Yours is a theory. But it isn't remotely supported by basically anybody of repute. Which, again, does you about as much good as screaming at the wall.
Last edited by Kernen on Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Get abortions, do drugs, own guns, but never misstate legal procedure.

Alessandretta
Secretary

Founded: Apr 23, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Alessandretta » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:23 pm

Kernen wrote:
Alessandretta wrote:
Life is precious if you need right, unavoidable cause for kill other people

Using lethal force to protect yourself from substantial physical harm is considered appropriate, even though you can often survive substantial physical harm.

An unavoidable cause, then, needn't be inherently deadly. Which opens up quite a bit of room to argue that avoiding a pregnancy is itself an unavoidable cause.

Is not a life threat... Is a pregnancy.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:23 pm

Antityranicals wrote:
Godular wrote:
It has not yet been born, which is a very critical distinction. Before birth, it presents an imposition upon the rights of the woman within whom it resides. After birth, it does not. It is wrong to force a woman to allow another born person to use the woman's body without her consent, and it is by the same logic wrong to force a woman to allow an 'unborn' person to use the woman's body without her consent.

Galloism wrote:
Antityranicals wrote:But actually so nonetheless.

Here's an interesting question.

A guy who was drugged against his will goes crazy and breaks into my house and tries to rape my wife. I'm aware of this via the six o clock news. Through whatever means necessary, I can be very sure (but not absolutely positive) he won't kill her. She will be invaded, harmed, but almost certainly not killed.

I have a gun. Can I shoot him to protect her from that? Is it murder? Why or why not?

That's an unintentional imposition (and, arguably, less of an imposition than an unwanted pregnancy). Is homicide a proportionate response?
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:24 pm

Antityranicals wrote:
Kernen wrote:
Using lethal force to protect yourself from substantial physical harm is considered appropriate, even though you can often survive substantial physical harm.

An unavoidable cause, then, needn't be inherently deadly. Which opens up quite a bit of room to argue that avoiding a pregnancy is itself an unavoidable cause.

No, lethal force is only justified if there is a substantial risk of death. Otherwise, it is not proportional.

Objectively untrue. Lethal force is permissible in many nonlethal circumstances in most, and probably every, state.
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Antityranicals
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Antityranicals » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:24 pm

Kernen wrote:
Antityranicals wrote:Legal scholars can go ahead and be wrong. Read the damn constitution.

I have. As have they. Sufficiently that I get to practice law, and for them, sufficiently that they get to be judges.

Yours is a theory. But it isn't remotely supported by basically anybody of repute. Which, again, does you about as much good as screaming at the wall.

Anyone of repute is irrelevant. Judicial review is not an enumerated power in Article III, and that is what matters. If anything, judicial review falls to the states under the tenth amendment.
Catholic Libertarian. Gov't has no authority, all authority is from God. God grants us free will, gov't should not infringe upon it. Legislating morality is wrong. Only exception is protecting rights to life, liberty, and property. Abortion is killing an infant, one of the few things gov't should prevent. Pro-Trump, he's been an effective weapon against real enemies of freedom: The Left, but I wish he were more for free trade, more against deficits. Unrestrained capitalism is a great thing; it does wonders for standards of living of everyone, especially the poor.
HS student in the USA. Male. XC runner, 17:30 5k, 4:59 mile. I enjoy singing, sushi, eating large quantities of food, and eating large quantities of sushi.

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:24 pm

Galloism wrote:
Godular wrote:
Okay, mayhap I should rephrase.

This bit:

Seems to rather specifically state that one does not get full 'citizenship' until such time as they have popped through that birth canal or a C-section has been performed. Before this juncture, attempting to legislate restrictions on a woman's right to control her body, such as by getting an abortion if one is deemed necessary, to be working against this specific amendment.

Not really no - that's about who is a citizen, but there's no requirement to be a citizen to have rights, otherwise aliens (legal or illegal) would have no rights at all. We could summary execute them just because.

Your argument is akin to saying legislating against citizens shooting illegal aliens "just because" is working against the 14th amendment, because they weren't born or naturalized in the United States.

Which would be retarded.

Now you've misrepresented MY argument, though I can see how it might have been implied in my earlier misspeak.

My primary focus was in stating that it is wrong to deny the born woman her established rights in favor of an entity that has not yet qualified for those rights.
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:25 pm

Kernen wrote:
Antityranicals wrote:No, lethal force is only justified if there is a substantial risk of death. Otherwise, it is not proportional.

Objectively untrue. Lethal force is permissible in many nonlethal circumstances in most, and probably every, state.

Most.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:25 pm

Alessandretta wrote:
Kernen wrote:

A pregnancy is inherently life-threatening.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Alessandretta
Secretary

Founded: Apr 23, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Alessandretta » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:25 pm

Godular wrote:
Alessandretta wrote:

No.

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:26 pm

Antityranicals wrote:
Kernen wrote:I have. As have they. Sufficiently that I get to practice law, and for them, sufficiently that they get to be judges.

Anyone of repute is irrelevant. Judicial review is not an enumerated power in Article III, and that is what matters. If anything, judicial review falls to the states under the tenth amendment.

And yet, that isn't how constitutional law works. How you want it to work is entirely irrelevant.

Lawful Evil

Antityranicals
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Antityranicals » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:26 pm

Galloism wrote:
Antityranicals wrote:Homicide is not proportional to an unintentional imposition.

Galloism wrote:Here's an interesting question.

A guy who was drugged against his will goes crazy and breaks into my house and tries to rape my wife. I'm aware of this via the six o clock news. Through whatever means necessary, I can be very sure (but not absolutely positive) he won't kill her. She will be invaded, harmed, but almost certainly not killed.

I have a gun. Can I shoot him to protect her from that? Is it murder? Why or why not?

That's an unintentional imposition (and, arguably, less of an imposition than an unwanted pregnancy). Is homicide a proportionate response?

Because there is a substantial risk of death, yes, though it is your obligation to try to avoid killing him while still stopping him. The risk of death in pregnancy is practially non-existent with modern technology, and to the extent that it does exist, it cannot be reduced by abortion.

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:26 pm

Antityranicals wrote:
Godular wrote:

If it is the only means of rectifying the situation, then it falls under necessary force.
New to F7? Click here!

Tropical Isles
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 07, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tropical Isles » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:27 pm

option #'s 3 & 5
Alternative Front Page
list of countries I'm leader of
[$] -- Copy and paste this into your signature if you are a capitalist.
[☮] -- Copy and paste this into your signature if you are a pacifist.
[CIV] -- Copy and paste this into your signature if you play sid meier's civilization.
Participant in z-days 4 - 8.
Jay Myers (Hurricane Jay)

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:27 pm

Antityranicals wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
Yet you want to deprive them of liberty by dictating what they can and cannot do with their own bodies.

Also you still haven't answered my question. What procedure is used to re-implant ectopic pregnancies, as required by the Ohio law?

Re-implanation is not required to save the life of a child in ectopic pregnancies. There have been hundreds of survivors.

The law requires re-implantation. And EPs cause 10% of first trimester deaths. And those hundreds of survivors are due to surgical intervention.

Source:

Cecchino GN, Araujo Júnior E, Elito Júnior J (September 2014). "Methotrexate for ectopic pregnancy: when and how" in Archives of Gynecology and Obstetrics. Vol290(3) pp417–23
Last edited by Vassenor on Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Antityranicals
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Antityranicals » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:27 pm

Kernen wrote:
Antityranicals wrote:Anyone of repute is irrelevant. Judicial review is not an enumerated power in Article III, and that is what matters. If anything, judicial review falls to the states under the tenth amendment.

And yet, that isn't how constitutional law works. How you want it to work is entirely irrelevant.

The constitution is constitutional law. Whatever experts make up and call constitutional law is not.

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:27 pm

Galloism wrote:
Kernen wrote:Objectively untrue. Lethal force is permissible in many nonlethal circumstances in most, and probably every, state.

Most.

That strikes me as difficult to believe. The criminal statutes I'm familiar with seem to make, as a matter of course, exceptions for victims of potential sexual violence.

Alessandretta wrote:
Godular wrote:

No.

And yet, people go to doctors all the time when reproducing.

Lawful Evil

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:27 pm

Antityranicals wrote:
Kernen wrote:I have. As have they. Sufficiently that I get to practice law, and for them, sufficiently that they get to be judges.

Yet the Moon does not fall from its orbit and strikes down the World despite thousands of people (Giant Meteor 2020 anyone?) wishing for it.
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Antityranicals
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Antityranicals » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:28 pm

Godular wrote:
Antityranicals wrote:Homicide is not proportional to an unintentional imposition.

If it is the only means of rectifying the situation, then it falls under necessary force.

But it's not. There's also birth.

Antityranicals
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Antityranicals » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:29 pm

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:
Antityranicals wrote:Anyone of repute is irrelevant. Judicial review is not an enumerated power in Article III, and that is what matters. If anything, judicial review falls to the states under the tenth amendment.

Yet the Moon does not fall from its orbit and strikes down the World despite thousands of people (Giant Meteor 2020 anyone?) wishing for it.

Exactly. Similarly, thousands of people wishing it does not change the constitution.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:29 pm

Godular wrote:
Galloism wrote:Not really no - that's about who is a citizen, but there's no requirement to be a citizen to have rights, otherwise aliens (legal or illegal) would have no rights at all. We could summary execute them just because.

Your argument is akin to saying legislating against citizens shooting illegal aliens "just because" is working against the 14th amendment, because they weren't born or naturalized in the United States.

Which would be retarded.

Now you've misrepresented MY argument, though I can see how it might have been implied in my earlier misspeak.

My primary focus was in stating that it is wrong to deny the born woman her established rights in favor of an entity that has not yet qualified for those rights.

I'd say there's simpler and more defensible justifications.

However, to the original post - the constitution doesn't state nor imply you need to be born to have rights. The 14th does establish a right to citizenship based on birth at a specified location. That's it.

In fact, we inherited it from English common law. The constitution is absolutely silent on it.

SCOTUS wasn't - in Roe vs Wade, they decided that person in the constitution does not include the unborn - based on English Common Law.

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:29 pm

Antityranicals wrote:
Kernen wrote:And yet, that isn't how constitutional law works. How you want it to work is entirely irrelevant.

The constitution is constitutional law. Whatever experts make up and call constitutional law is not.

Also not how it works. Even Originalists disagree. So answering on the bar exam would cause you to fail the question, and making that argument before a court, appellate or trial, would result in your losing on the merits.

The entire premise of common law suggests otherwise, really.
Last edited by Kernen on Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lawful Evil

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:29 pm

Antityranicals wrote:
Godular wrote:

But it's not. There's also birth.

And time travel.
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:29 pm

Antityranicals wrote:
Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:Yet the Moon does not fall from its orbit and strikes down the World despite thousands of people (Giant Meteor 2020 anyone?) wishing for it.

Exactly. Similarly, thousands of people wishing it does not change the constitution.

That applies to you too.
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Antityranicals
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Antityranicals » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:30 pm

Kernen wrote:
Galloism wrote:Most.

That strikes me as difficult to believe. The criminal statutes I'm familiar with seem to make, as a matter of course, exceptions for victims of potential sexual violence.

Alessandretta wrote:
No.

And yet, people go to doctors all the time when reproducing.

99% of times when people go to the doctor are not life-threatening incidents.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General