NATION

PASSWORD

[Abortion Thread] (YET ANOTHER POLL!) Taking measure.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What policies would you use to reduce abortion numbers?

Welfare Support for Single Mothers
17%
Free Pregnancy-Related Health Care
17%
Comprehensive Sex Education
21%
Free Contraception
17%
Monetary Incentives (Child Care, Tax Incentives, Kid-Related Healthcare, specify if needed)
13%
No Changes
2%
Procedure Ban (Not outlawing abortion itself, but specific procedures)
3%
Outright Ban (With exceptions or without)
10%

Total votes : 2870

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:05 pm

Antityranicals wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
So why do women not have the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness?

They do, why does their child not?

Yet you want to deprive them of liberty by dictating what they can and cannot do with their own bodies.

Also you still haven't answered my question. What procedure is used to re-implant ectopic pregnancies, as required by the Ohio law?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Antityranicals
Minister

Founded: May 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Antityranicals » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:06 pm

Kernen wrote:
Antityranicals wrote:Marbury v. Madison is not in the constitution.

And yet, its a foundational basis for judicial review. A concept defended within the dicta of Marbury by plenty of extrinsic evidence, including the understanding of the Founders on the Court regarding the intended role of SCOTUS.

That they did not use strict textualism, as you may have wished, isn't relevant to the legal analysis. If you had sat a bar exam in your life, you'd probably be familiar with the concept.

What SCOTUS did in Marbury v. Madison was invent itself a power. Nobody should have listened to it. But it was a fine opportunity to expand the power of the central government, which the central government was happy to do.
Compass: Right: 9.94, Libertarian: -5.84
Catholic Libertarian. Gov't has no authority, all authority is from God. God grants us free will, gov't should not infringe upon it. Legislating morality is wrong. Only exception is protecting rights to life, liberty, and property. Abortion is killing an infant, one of the few things gov't should prevent. Pro-Trump, he's been an effective weapon against real enemies of freedom: The Left, but I wish he were more for free trade, more against deficits. Unrestrained capitalism is a great thing; it does wonders for standards of living of everyone, especially the poor.
HS student in the USA. Male. XC runner, 17:30 5k, 4:59 mile. I enjoy singing, sushi, eating large quantities of food, and eating large quantities of sushi.

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:08 pm

Alessandretta wrote:
Godular wrote:
I do not, and the US constitution says fuck that bullshit too.

We wouldn't have much need for the foster system if every kid found a forever home so quickly. While Gallo's statement that there are plenty of families waiting to adopt babies may be so, it doesn't assist those older children that could use help just as much.

Besides, it does not rectify the problem of an unwanted pregnancy

Yes... Bette kill them... Maybe your constitution Is not so great on that point

No, it's perfectly fine, I'd say. It could use a few points of improvement here and there, but not on that particular point. There are quite a large variety of situations in which it is perfectly permissible to terminate the life of another born person in order to protect one's life and property (and in some states even the life and property of others). If we apply similar criteria to a pregnancy, it becomes quite easily evident that the fetus does not deserve any kind of special treatment even if we were to accede to the argument that a fetus is a person.
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Kernen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:08 pm

Antityranicals wrote:
Kernen wrote:
And yet, its a foundational basis for judicial review. A concept defended within the dicta of Marbury by plenty of extrinsic evidence, including the understanding of the Founders on the Court regarding the intended role of SCOTUS.

That they did not use strict textualism, as you may have wished, isn't relevant to the legal analysis. If you had sat a bar exam in your life, you'd probably be familiar with the concept.

What SCOTUS did in Marbury v. Madison was invent itself a power. Nobody should have listened to it. But it was a fine opportunity to expand the power of the central government, which the central government was happy to do.

Thats one theory. It isn't the theory held by basically any legal scholars, so it does you about as much good as screaming at a wall.
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Get abortions, do drugs, own guns, but never misstate legal procedure.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:08 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Antityranicals wrote:They do, why does their child not?

Yet you want to deprive them of liberty by dictating what they can and cannot do with their own bodies.

Also you still haven't answered my question. What procedure is used to re-implant ectopic pregnancies, as required by the Ohio law?

Notably, it's not the first time we've required people do impossible things or face penalties, but it's the first one I can think of where the penalty is prison.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Alessandretta
Secretary

Founded: Apr 23, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Alessandretta » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:09 pm

Godular wrote:
Alessandretta wrote:
No, take abortion Is a way to avoid responsability

You are exceedingly incorrect. It is taking responsibility in recognizing that one is not ready for parenthood, and going through a process that is neither cheap nor particularly pleasant in order to rectify the situation.

No. I dont.

People became parents from the dawn of humanity. Ready or not... Is not a shame or a crime.

Killing babies Is.

There are solutions that do not require murder, maybe better take more responsables ones.

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:09 pm

Antityranicals wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
So why do women not have the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness?

They do, why does their child not?

It is not their child yet, and the rights held in the US constitution rather specifically state that they only take effect when one is born.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:10 pm

Alessandretta wrote:
Godular wrote:
You are exceedingly incorrect. It is taking responsibility in recognizing that one is not ready for parenthood, and going through a process that is neither cheap nor particularly pleasant in order to rectify the situation.

No. I dont.

People became parents from the dawn of humanity. Ready or not... Is not a shame or a crime.

Irrelevant.

Killing babies Is.

Which an abortion is not.

There are solutions that do not require murder, maybe better take more responsables ones.

Like getting an abortion, which is neither murder nor irresponsible! Astounding how that works.
New to F7? Click here!

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:10 pm

Alessandretta wrote:
Godular wrote:

No. I dont.

Killing babies Is.

Same question:

Galloism wrote:
Antityranicals wrote:But actually so nonetheless.

Here's an interesting question.

A guy who was drugged against his will goes crazy and breaks into my house and tries to rape my wife. I'm aware of this via the six o clock news. Through whatever means necessary, I can be very sure (but not absolutely positive) he won't kill her. She will be invaded, harmed, but almost certainly not killed.

I have a gun. Can I shoot him to protect her from that? Is it murder? Why or why not?
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:11 pm

Godular wrote:

It is not their child yet, and the rights held in the US constitution rather specifically state that they only take effect when one is born.

Constitution does not actually state that. That's a common law principle inherited from England.

Alessandretta
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Alessandretta » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:12 pm

Godular wrote:
Alessandretta wrote:
Yes... Bette kill them... Maybe your constitution Is not so great on that point

No, it's perfectly fine, I'd say. It could use a few points of improvement here and there, but not on that particular point. There are quite a large variety of situations in which it is perfectly permissible to terminate the life of another born person in order to protect one's life and property (and in some states even the life and property of others). If we apply similar criteria to a pregnancy, it becomes quite easily evident that the fetus does not deserve any kind of special treatment even if we were to accede to the argument that a fetus is a person.

There are many situations in which ending another life is an inevitable or logical solution.

But this assumption does not imply that all circumstances are legitimate to end a human life.

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:13 pm

Alessandretta wrote:
Godular wrote:

There are many situations in which ending another life is an inevitable or logical solution.

But this assumption does not imply that all circumstances are legitimate to end a human life.

It does suggest that ending a human life is permissible under certain circumstances, and that life is not, ipso facto, precious.
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Antityranicals
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Antityranicals » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:14 pm

Vassenor wrote:

Re-implanation is not required to save the life of a child in ectopic pregnancies. There have been hundreds of survivors.
Catholic Libertarian. Gov't has no authority, all authority is from God. God grants us free will, gov't should not infringe upon it. Legislating morality is wrong. Only exception is protecting rights to life, liberty, and property. Abortion is killing an infant, one of the few things gov't should prevent. Pro-Trump, he's been an effective weapon against real enemies of freedom: The Left, but I wish he were more for free trade, more against deficits. Unrestrained capitalism is a great thing; it does wonders for standards of living of everyone, especially the poor.
HS student in the USA. Male. XC runner, 17:30 5k, 4:59 mile. I enjoy singing, sushi, eating large quantities of food, and eating large quantities of sushi.

Antityranicals
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Antityranicals » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:15 pm

Kernen wrote:
Antityranicals wrote:What SCOTUS did in Marbury v. Madison was invent itself a power. Nobody should have listened to it. But it was a fine opportunity to expand the power of the central government, which the central government was happy to do.

Thats one theory. It isn't the theory held by basically any legal scholars, so it does you about as much good as screaming at a wall.

Legal scholars can go ahead and be wrong. Read the damn constitution.

Alessandretta
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Alessandretta » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:15 pm

Kernen wrote:
Alessandretta wrote:

It does suggest that ending a human life is permissible under certain circumstances, and that life is not, ipso facto, precious.

Life is precious if you need right, unavoidable cause for kill other people
Last edited by Alessandretta on Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:16 pm

Galloism wrote:
Godular wrote:

Constitution does not actually state that. That's a common law principle inherited from England.

Okay, mayhap I should rephrase.

This bit:

All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Seems to rather specifically state that one does not get full 'citizenship' until such time as they have popped through that birth canal or a C-section has been performed. Before this juncture, attempting to legislate restrictions on a woman's right to control her body, such as by getting an abortion if one is deemed necessary, to be working against this specific amendment.
New to F7? Click here!

Nuroblav
Minister

Founded: Nov 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nuroblav » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:17 pm

Alessandretta wrote:
Godular wrote:
Getting an abortion is taking responsibility whether you like it or not. Also, you should not presume that a woman only got pregnant because she and her partner were not using contraception.

This brings me back to a post I made a few weeks ago about some who hold this opinion on the far left. Oh well, that's one rather shit argument there. Wouldn't it be more responsible to have an abortion if she knows she won't be able to provide for her child?

Overall, if you don't like abortion, simply don't have an abortion.
Last edited by Nuroblav on Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your NS mutualist(?), individualist, metalhead and all-round...err...human. TG if you have any questions about my political or musical views.

Economic Left/Right: -4.75, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -9.03

\m/ METAL IS BASED \m/

Antityranicals
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Antityranicals » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:17 pm

Godular wrote:
Alessandretta wrote:
No. I dont.

Irrelevant.

Killing babies Is.

Like getting an abortion, which is neither murder nor irresponsible! Astounding how that works.

A fetus is a baby! A baby is defined as "a very young child," while a child is defined as "a young human being below the age of puberty or below the legal age of majority." A fetus is therefore a child, and a very young one at that, making him or her a baby.

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:17 pm

Alessandretta wrote:
Godular wrote:

It does not have to. I'm simply pointing out to you that it falls under those exact circumstances where it is very much permissible to do so.
New to F7? Click here!

Antityranicals
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Antityranicals » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:18 pm

Nuroblav wrote:
Alessandretta wrote:

This brings me back to a post I made a few weeks ago about some who hold this opinion on the far left. Oh well, that's one rather shit argument there. Wouldn't it be more responsible to have an abortion if she knows she won't be able to provide for her child.

No, it would be more responsible to put the child up for adoption, as, as already been stated, there are plenty of willing adoptive parents.

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:19 pm

Alessandretta wrote:
Kernen wrote:It does suggest that ending a human life is permissible under certain circumstances, and that life is not, ipso facto, precious.

Using lethal force to protect yourself from substantial physical harm is considered appropriate, even though you can often survive substantial physical harm.

An unavoidable cause, then, needn't be inherently deadly. Which opens up quite a bit of room to argue that avoiding a pregnancy is itself an unavoidable cause.

Lawful Evil

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:20 pm

Godular wrote:
Galloism wrote:Constitution does not actually state that. That's a common law principle inherited from England.

Okay, mayhap I should rephrase.

This bit:

All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Seems to rather specifically state that one does not get full 'citizenship' until such time as they have popped through that birth canal or a C-section has been performed. Before this juncture, attempting to legislate restrictions on a woman's right to control her body, such as by getting an abortion if one is deemed necessary, to be working against this specific amendment.

Not really no - that's about who is a citizen, but there's no requirement to be a citizen to have rights, otherwise aliens (legal or illegal) would have no rights at all. We could summary execute them just because.

Your argument is akin to saying legislating against citizens shooting illegal aliens "just because" is working against the 14th amendment, because they weren't born or naturalized in the United States.

Which would be retarded.

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:20 pm

Antityranicals wrote:
Godular wrote:
Irrelevant.

A fetus is a baby!

It has not yet been born, which is a very critical distinction. Before birth, it presents an imposition upon the rights of the woman within whom it resides. After birth, it does not. It is wrong to force a woman to allow another born person to use the woman's body without her consent, and it is by the same logic wrong to force a woman to allow an 'unborn' person to use the woman's body without her consent.
New to F7? Click here!

Antityranicals
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Antityranicals » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:20 pm

Kernen wrote:
Alessandretta wrote:

Using lethal force to protect yourself from substantial physical harm is considered appropriate, even though you can often survive substantial physical harm.

An unavoidable cause, then, needn't be inherently deadly. Which opens up quite a bit of room to argue that avoiding a pregnancy is itself an unavoidable cause.

No, lethal force is only justified if there is a substantial risk of death. Otherwise, it is not proportional.

Alessandretta
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Alessandretta » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:21 pm

Nuroblav wrote:
Alessandretta wrote:

This brings me back to a post I made a few weeks ago about some who hold this opinion on the far left. Oh well, that's one rather shit argument there. Wouldn't it be more responsible to have an abortion if she knows she won't be able to provide for her child?

But you can give child in foster care if you feel inadeguate as parent.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General