NATION

PASSWORD

[Abortion Thread] (YET ANOTHER POLL!) Taking measure.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What policies would you use to reduce abortion numbers?

Welfare Support for Single Mothers
17%
Free Pregnancy-Related Health Care
17%
Comprehensive Sex Education
21%
Free Contraception
17%
Monetary Incentives (Child Care, Tax Incentives, Kid-Related Healthcare, specify if needed)
13%
No Changes
2%
Procedure Ban (Not outlawing abortion itself, but specific procedures)
3%
Outright Ban (With exceptions or without)
10%

Total votes : 2870

Alouite
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Alouite » Wed May 15, 2019 3:13 pm

New haven america wrote:If Alabama could stop giving us reasons why it shouldn't exist, that'd be great.

What do you mean?
National Liberalism, National School Economics, National Dividend, Constitutional Originalism, Protection of US Domestic Trade, The Chinese Gov't in Exile in Taipei, and Ending the War on Nouns
Hyman Minsky
Totalitarianism, the Destruction of the Environment, Racism, and, most of all, people who end statements in questions?
The Patriot Act, The Illegitimate Communist Authorities in China, Economic Libertarianism, Absolutism and Communism

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Wed May 15, 2019 3:14 pm

Alouite wrote:
New haven america wrote:If Alabama could stop giving us reasons why it shouldn't exist, that'd be great.

What do you mean?

Gee, maybe allowing an abortion bill that doesn't make exceptions to rape or incest is a good place to start.
Last edited by New haven america on Wed May 15, 2019 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed May 15, 2019 3:15 pm

New haven america wrote:
Alouite wrote:
What do you mean?

Gee, maybe allowing an abortion bill that doesn't make exceptions to rape or incest is a good place to start.

Doubly so when it punishes being an abortion doctor worse than being a racist.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Napkizemlja
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkizemlja » Wed May 15, 2019 3:18 pm

Good job Alabama. Hopefully the new law gets challenged so that Roe v Wade itself can be challenged.
Last edited by Napkizemlja on Wed May 15, 2019 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't cry because it's coming to an end, smile because it happened.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed May 15, 2019 3:19 pm

Napkizemlja wrote:Good job Alabama. Hopefully the new law gets challenged so that Roe v Wade itself can be challenged.

Why? Keeping in mind that SCOTUS is generally loathe to reverse a precedent decision.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Wed May 15, 2019 3:20 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Napkizemlja wrote:Good job Alabama. Hopefully the new law gets challenged so that Roe v Wade itself can be challenged.

Why? Keeping in mind that SCOTUS is generally loathe to reverse a precedent decision.

Please don't reply to them.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Alouite
Postmaster-General

Postby Alouite » Wed May 15, 2019 3:22 pm

New haven america wrote:
Alouite wrote:
What do you mean?

That is a state law i.e. a statement that it cannot happen except in stated instances, not "reasons why it shouldn't exist" (semantics I know). But as far as I am concerned, if that is what Alabaman lawmakers want to do then I can see why they feel the way they do and it is their state to legislate over so good for them.
National Liberalism, National School Economics, National Dividend, Constitutional Originalism, Protection of US Domestic Trade, The Chinese Gov't in Exile in Taipei, and Ending the War on Nouns
Hyman Minsky
Totalitarianism, the Destruction of the Environment, Racism, and, most of all, people who end statements in questions?
The Patriot Act, The Illegitimate Communist Authorities in China, Economic Libertarianism, Absolutism and Communism

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Wed May 15, 2019 3:24 pm

Alouite wrote:
New haven america wrote:Gee, maybe allowing an abortion bill that doesn't make exceptions to rape or incest is a good place to start.

1. That is a state law i.e. a statement that it cannot happen except in stated instances, 2. not "reasons why it shouldn't exist" (semantics I know). But as far as I am concerned, 3. if that is what Alabaman lawmakers want to do then I can see why they feel the way they do and it is their state to legislate over so good for them.

1. It's also unconstitutional
2. Alabama shouldn't exist
3. Alabama is also in the lower 40's in education, public health, etc...
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Napkizemlja
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkizemlja » Wed May 15, 2019 3:26 pm

Vassenor wrote:

Because I'd like to see Roe v Wade repealed. First, it was introduced on shaky legal grounds and second I consider abortion done in instances other than to save the mother's life to be reprehensible and morally repugnant. I'm okay for keeping abortion legal for medical reasons, but others are not valid reasons. The worthiness of someone's life is not predicated upon their conception, who their mother is, their socioeconomic status, etc.

Napkizemlja
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkizemlja » Wed May 15, 2019 3:27 pm

New haven america wrote:
Alouite wrote:
1. That is a state law i.e. a statement that it cannot happen except in stated instances, 2. not "reasons why it shouldn't exist" (semantics I know). But as far as I am concerned, 3. if that is what Alabaman lawmakers want to do then I can see why they feel the way they do and it is their state to legislate over so good for them.

1. That has yet to be decided.
2. Not even remotely close to a valid argument.
3. See above.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed May 15, 2019 3:32 pm

Napkizemlja wrote:The worthiness of someone's life is not predicated upon their conception, who their mother is, their socioeconomic status, etc.

Fetuses are not people. That has been repeatedly shown in this thread and its previous iterations.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Alouite
Postmaster-General

Postby Alouite » Wed May 15, 2019 3:32 pm

New haven america wrote:
Alouite wrote:

1. I will defer to the Supreme Court on that matter rather than be so presumptuous as to pretend that I am an expert on the matter of whether that particular law crosses the threshold set in Roe v. Wade. Indeed, Roe v. Wade may soon be overturned now that the court is composed of 5 justices that might rule against it and 4 that would certainly uphold it. A single justice more being appointed by Trump will more than turn the tide if the matter was pressed.
2. Lol, maybe it doesn't :shock:
3. True, however, that doesn't really play a role in whether or not the state legislators have the power to pass a bill or not. If you are trying to say they are too stupid to write bills and the people of Alabama are too stupid to hold elections then you are more of a reactionary than I expected. But tbf I have seen crazier twists.
Hyman Minsky

Alouite
Postmaster-General

Postby Alouite » Wed May 15, 2019 3:34 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Napkizemlja wrote:The worthiness of someone's life is not predicated upon their conception, who their mother is, their socioeconomic status, etc.

Fetuses are not people. That has been repeatedly shown in this thread and its previous iterations.

Personhood is an abstract concept, so to say that your subjective view on when personhood begins should be universal is disingenuous and shows that you don't take criticism of your pro-choice perspective seriously.
Hyman Minsky

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed May 15, 2019 3:38 pm

Alouite wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Fetuses are not people. That has been repeatedly shown in this thread and its previous iterations.

Personhood is an abstract concept

It isn't an abstract concept at all. It is clearly defined in the law and elsewhere. I know you want to muddy the waters as a cheap debating tactic, but please don't.

Alouite wrote:so to say that your subjective view on when personhood begins should be universal is disingenuous

It isn't just my subjective view at all. And as I said, it is clearly defined in law, so therefore for such intents and purposes it is universal.

Alouite wrote:and shows that you don't take criticism of your pro-choice perspective seriously.

Wow. It really doesn't show that at all.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Wed May 15, 2019 3:39 pm

Alouite wrote:
New haven america wrote:1. It's also unconstitutional

1. I will defer to the Supreme Court on that matter rather than be so presumptuous as to pretend that I am an expert on the matter of whether that particular law crosses the threshold set in Roe v. Wade. Indeed, Roe v. Wade may soon be overturned now that the court is composed of 5 justices that might rule against it and 4 that would certainly uphold it. A single justice more being appointed by Trump will more than turn the tide if the matter was pressed.
2. Lol, maybe it doesn't :shock:
3. True, however, that doesn't really play a role in whether or not the state legislators have the power to pass a bill or not. If you are trying to say they are too stupid to write bills and the people of Alabama are too stupid to hold elections then you are more of a reactionary than I expected. But tbf I have seen crazier twists.

1. The Supreme Court has said it's unconstitutional back in the 70's
2. Unfortunately it does
3. Alabama keeps a lower educated population so that they vote for Reps. who will in term vote for shit like what Alabama has just past. You'll notice that Red States also tend to have the least well off populations.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Napkizemlja
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkizemlja » Wed May 15, 2019 3:39 pm

You have shown absolutely nothing other than appeal to authority.

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Wed May 15, 2019 3:40 pm

Don't get into it with them, por favor...
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Napkizemlja
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkizemlja » Wed May 15, 2019 3:40 pm

Alouite wrote:
Personhood is an abstract concept

It isn't an abstract concept at all. It is clearly defined in the law and elsewhere. I know you want to muddy the waters as a cheap debating tactic, but please don't.

It's not muddying anything. And logical fallacies are also cheap debating tactics, so please don't.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed May 15, 2019 3:41 pm

Napkizemlja wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Fetuses are not people. That has been repeatedly shown in this thread and its previous iterations.

You have shown absolutely nothing other than appeal to authority.

Using definitions isn't appeal to authority at all. If you don't like said definitions, then the onus is on you to say why they need to be changed.

Wave on, wave on

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Wed May 15, 2019 3:42 pm

Alouite wrote:
Godular wrote:
Pregnancy is an inherent threat to the life of a woman. There are any number of medical complications that can take a woman from zero to six feet under in the span of a breath. If she does not wish to take that risk, it is wrong to force her to undertake it just because you think her NOT experiencing such complications right fucking now is somehow a non-legitimate rationale.

The vast majority of pregnancies do not result in the death of a child and ultimately the point should be about when when life begins.

No. The point should be about whether a woman has full control over her body.

The reason people will never be convinced by arguments surrounding abortion is because they often have different perspectives on where life begins and are ultimately unprepared (on both sides) for a complex metaphysical argument on the matter.

I would say a large portion of pro-life types are unprepared to approach the problem from anything other than a knee-jerk emotional appeal. The issue could be dealt with in ways that do not trammel on the rights of women, but too often we see laws seeking to punish getting an abortion rather than dealing with the things that might lead a woman to consider abortion services necessary.
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed May 15, 2019 3:43 pm

Napkizemlja wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:It isn't an abstract concept at all. It is clearly defined in the law and elsewhere. I know you want to muddy the waters as a cheap debating tactic, but please don't.

It's not muddying anything. And logical fallacies are also cheap debating tactics, so please don't.

Of course it is; saying that personhood is an abstract concept when clear definitions exist in the law and elsewhere is muddying the waters.

And please don't just copy what I've said but change a few words here and there; it's just lazy. ;)

Wave on, wave on

Napkizemlja
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkizemlja » Wed May 15, 2019 3:43 pm

Napkizemlja wrote:You have shown absolutely nothing other than appeal to authority.

Using definitions isn't appeal to authority at all. If you don't like said definitions, then the onus is on you to say why they need to be changed.

Your definitions rest solely on "because the law currently says so" which a) means nothing considering how pro-life activists wish to change said definitions b) are not based on any ethical or moral backing, which is where a lot of people ITT seem to get lost.
Last edited by Napkizemlja on Wed May 15, 2019 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Wed May 15, 2019 3:44 pm

New haven america wrote:
Alouite wrote:

Speaking as someone who lives in Alabama, I couldn't agree more.
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

Alouite
Postmaster-General

Postby Alouite » Wed May 15, 2019 3:45 pm

The New California Republic wrote:It isn't an abstract concept at all. It is clearly defined in the law and elsewhere. I know you want to muddy the waters as a cheap debating tactic, but please don't.
It isn't just my subjective view at all. And as I said, it is clearly defined in law, so therefore for such intents and purposes it is universal.Wow. It really doesn't show that at all.

I know you want to muddy the waters as a cheap debating tactic

Right, this totally isn't a disingenuous way of responding to someone. No, not at all...
Hyman Minsky

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Wed May 15, 2019 3:46 pm

Napkizemlja wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Using definitions isn't appeal to authority at all. If you don't like said definitions, then the onus is on you to say why they need to be changed.

Your definitions rest solely on "because the law currently says so" which a) means nothing considering how pro-life activists wish to change said definitions

Do please convince us why it should be altered.

b) are not based on any ethical or moral back, which is where a lot of people ITT seem to get lost.

Considering that morality is rather completely subjective, it would seem that trying to use it as a basis for your position is rather counterproductive.
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General