NATION

PASSWORD

[Abortion Thread] (YET ANOTHER POLL!) Taking measure.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What policies would you use to reduce abortion numbers?

Welfare Support for Single Mothers
17%
Free Pregnancy-Related Health Care
17%
Comprehensive Sex Education
21%
Free Contraception
17%
Monetary Incentives (Child Care, Tax Incentives, Kid-Related Healthcare, specify if needed)
13%
No Changes
2%
Procedure Ban (Not outlawing abortion itself, but specific procedures)
3%
Outright Ban (With exceptions or without)
10%

Total votes : 2870

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Thu May 09, 2019 11:25 pm

Galloism wrote:
Alouite wrote:
As for the case regarding bone marrow transplants, I see what you mean, and that is certainly another moral predicament where a life is on the line. However, the difference lies in that in that in many abortions, the mother is not at risk and is making the decision for economic reasons, for the purpose of personal expediency (e.g. to pursue a career, to not have the responsibilities of a mother, to please parents unhappy with the father of the child, etc.), or as a form of birth control. Again, I am not the right person to debate with over the most extreme medical cases regarding abortion because it isn't one that I am fully prepared for. However, I will say that there are nuanced arguments both pro-life and pro-choice in such cases, and I will say that there are cases where that entire weight of the mother's life being on the line does not apply and that those cases of expediency are of a wholly different nature insofar as the moral trade-off is concerned. In the case where the mother is pursuing the abortion out of expediency, I would argue, that is not justifiable (though I do personally believe that society should provide assistance for low-income and young mothers to ensure they and their child have a proper quality of life and recognize that currently having a child can greatly alter a woman's life).

It’s worth note bone marrow donation is exceptionally low risk compared with pregnancy.

Severe Side Effects/Risks
According to the National Marrow Donor Program, 2.4% of people who donate bone marrow experience a serious complication. Very few bone marrow donors suffer any long-term complications from their donation.

Around the world, researchers looked at over 27,000 people who had donated bone marrow in 35 countries. Of these people, there was one death and 12 serious events (mostly heart related) that were felt to be related to bone marrow donation.

And the “inconvenience” is much lower.

Mild Side Effects/Risks
After donating bone marrow you may be sore in the region of your hip for a week or slightly more. Among those who donated bone marrow as part of the National Marrow Donor Program, the majority of people experienced some back and hip pain for a few days, as well as fatigue. Side effects of anesthesia may also include a sore throat and nausea.

The procedure may be done as an outpatient, or you may spend a few days in the hospital. Some medical centers recommend taking 7 to 10 days off of work following the procedure, but some people feel up to returning to work much sooner. The median time (that is, the time after which 50% of people had and 50% hadn't) to get completely back to "normal" was 20 days.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/the-risk ... ow-2252482

There’s no real argument that makes forced pregnancy allowable that makes forced marrow donation disallowable.

So why don't we actually ? Force people to donate blood, bonemarrow etc to save the lives of other humans that is ?
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Stagnant Axon Terminal
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Stagnant Axon Terminal » Mon May 13, 2019 3:17 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Galloism wrote:It’s worth note bone marrow donation is exceptionally low risk compared with pregnancy.

There’s no real argument that makes forced pregnancy allowable that makes forced marrow donation disallowable.

So why don't we actually ? Force people to donate blood, bonemarrow etc to save the lives of other humans that is ?

Because forcing people to do things with their body is a violation of the most basic right there is.
TET's resident state assessment exam
My sworn enemy is the Toyota 4Runner
I scream a lot.
Also, I'm gonna fuck your girlfriend.
Nanatsu No Tsuki wrote:the fetus will never eat cake if you abort it

Cu Math wrote:Axon is like a bear with a PH.D. She debates at first, then eats your face.
The Empire of Pretantia wrote:THE MAN'S PENIS HAS LEFT THE VAGINA. IT'S THE UTERUS'S TURN TO SHINE.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Mon May 13, 2019 3:28 am

Stagnant Axon Terminal wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

Because forcing people to do things with their body is a violation of the most basic right there is.

Can we repeat that louder for the people at the back?

So -- to summarise -- if we cannot and will not force people to donate bone marrow to the maintenance of another life (because it violates their basic rights), we cannot force a woman to donate her body to the maintenance of a foetus, because...
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon May 13, 2019 3:44 am

The Free Joy State wrote:
Stagnant Axon Terminal wrote:Because forcing people to do things with their body is a violation of the most basic right there is.

Can we repeat that louder for the people at the back?

So -- to summarise -- if we cannot and will not force people to donate bone marrow to the maintenance of another life (because it violates their basic rights), we cannot force a woman to donate her body to the maintenance of a foetus, because...

There will either be silence in response, or a pleading to emotion that this is somehow a special case because it involves an innocent or some other such shit.
Last edited by The New California Republic on Mon May 13, 2019 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Mon May 13, 2019 3:48 am

The New California Republic wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:Can we repeat that louder for the people at the back?

There will either be silence on response, or a pleading to emotion that this is somehow a special case because it involves an innocent or some other such shit.

Believe me, I don't expect the sentence to ever be finished.

I've been waiting a long time to hear why overturning McFall v. Shimp is not a pro-life priority (seeing as that ruling guarantees bodily sovereignty, even if a person's life is at stake, and all).
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Mon May 13, 2019 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Mon May 13, 2019 6:20 am

The New California Republic wrote:There will either be silence on response, or a pleading to emotion that this is somehow a special case because it involves an innocent or some other such shit.

Believe me, I don't expect the sentence to ever be finished.

I've been waiting a long time to hear why overturning McFall v. Shimp is not a pro-life priority (seeing as that ruling guarantees bodily sovereignty, even if a person's life is at stake, and all).

Because it's a completely different question.

Should you be required to save someone vs should you be allowed to actively end a person's life. You can moralize that without the donation they will likely die so you are morally suspect, but with abortion, you are specifically arguing whether bodily sovereignty should allow you to end a life. They simply aren't the same question.

Now if there's some case of someone demanding a donated organ back post-op, then yeah, that would be a comparable scenario and should be overturned.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon May 13, 2019 6:23 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Galloism wrote:It’s worth note bone marrow donation is exceptionally low risk compared with pregnancy.

Bodily autonomy?
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon May 13, 2019 6:24 am

Luna Amore wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:Believe me, I don't expect the sentence to ever be finished.

Should you be required to save someone vs should you be allowed to actively end a person's life. [...]

The fetus isn't a person.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Mon May 13, 2019 6:27 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Luna Amore wrote:Because it's a completely different question.

Should you be required to save someone vs should you be allowed to actively end a person's life. [...]

The fetus isn't a person.

Ok.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Mon May 13, 2019 7:25 am

Luna Amore wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:The fetus isn't a person.

Ok.

That's what the law generally says. You can disagree and want to change it, but that is what the law says.

Luna Amore wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:Believe me, I don't expect the sentence to ever be finished.

Should you be required to save someone vs should you be allowed to actively end a person's life. You can moralize that without the donation they will likely die so you are morally suspect, but with abortion, you are specifically arguing whether bodily sovereignty should allow you to end a life. They simply aren't the same question.

Now if there's some case of someone demanding a donated organ back post-op, then yeah, that would be a comparable scenario and should be overturned.

Actually, it is pretty comparable:

Robert McFall depended on the one person who could save his life -- his cousin, David Shimp.
The foetus depends on the mother for its life.

David Shimp was the only match.
The mother is the only person the foetus can be attached to (until very late in the pregnancy, it can't be removed and remain alive).

David Shimp opted not to allow his cousin to use his body for his medical use.
In an unwanted pregnancy, the mother opts not to let the foetus use her body for its medical use.

David Shimp had the right to do that because his personal autonomy could not be usurped (although the judge actually found his decision not to donate his body "morally indefensible").
The mother has the right to abort because her bodily autonomy cannot be usurped (although many pro-choice advocates are uncomfortable with abortion).

Bodily sovereignty allows someone to protect it using the minimal force necessary.

If someone is robbing you, you are allowed to defend yourself. If you suffer a home invasion, you are allowed to get that burglar out. If someone is raping you, you are allowed to use force to defend yourself (and, no, I am not saying the foetus is a rapist). If someone comes to stay in your home, and refuses to leave, you can get the police to evict them.

With a foetus, there is only one method that allows the woman to maintain her bodily sovereignty. Sadly, it leads to the death of the foetus.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Mon May 13, 2019 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Mon May 13, 2019 8:27 am

Luna Amore wrote:Ok.

That's what the law generally says. You can disagree and want to change it, but that is what the law says.

It's a pointless response.

Imagine if we were debating the death penalty and every time you made a contrary post someone responded with "It's legal."

We're discussing the concept. Whether it is currently legal doesn't speak to whether it is right. Otherwise, this thread should have been locked one post in with that as a response.

So I'm not engaging posts like that. They are the foam packing peanuts of discussion. I'd rather get down to something of substance.

I'll have to respond to your post in full later. Phone typing ain't fun.

The Grims
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Grims » Mon May 13, 2019 8:32 am

Luna Amore wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:That's what the law generally says. You can disagree and want to change it, but that is what the law says.

Imagine if we were debating the death penalty and every time you made a contrary post someone responded with "It's legal."

We're discussing the concept. Whether it is currently legal doesn't speak to whether it is right. Otherwise, this thread should have been locked one post in with that as a response.

So I'm not engaging posts like that. They are the foam packing peanuts of discussion. I'd rather get down to something of substance.

It is also not a person in the sense that it has no personality. No brain after all.
While someone who needs a blood transfusion is.
Last edited by The Grims on Mon May 13, 2019 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator

Founded: Aug 03, 2016
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Mon May 13, 2019 8:33 am

The Grims wrote:
Luna Amore wrote:It's a pointless response.

It is also not a person in the sense that it has no personality. Ko brain after all.

Technically late stage fetuses do have brains but having a brain is unrelated to being a person.

The Grims
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Grims » Mon May 13, 2019 8:41 am

Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:
The Grims wrote:
It is also not a person in the sense that it has no personality. Ko brain after all.

Technically late stage fetuses do have brains but having a brain is unrelated to being a person.

Why would not having a personality be unrelated to being a person?

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon May 13, 2019 9:05 am

Luna Amore wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:That's what the law generally says. You can disagree and want to change it, but that is what the law says.

It isn't just legal definitions. The entire concept of personhood would need to be fundamentally rewritten if a few dozen cells counts as a "person"...

Wave on, wave on

Alvecia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 17, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Alvecia » Mon May 13, 2019 9:24 am

Luna Amore wrote:

Whether something is or is not legal does not mean something is or is not right, this is true, but it can be one of many indicators.
Rarely are laws made irregardless of right or wrong, more they’re often informed by what is considered right or wrong.

Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Mon May 13, 2019 9:28 am

The Grims wrote:
Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:Technically late stage fetuses do have brains but having a brain is unrelated to being a person.

Having a brain and having a personality are two different things.
And yes, I do believe that it is unrelated on the grounds that the comatose are still people.
per·son
/ˈpərs(ə)n/
noun
a human being regarded as an individual.
"the porter was the last person to see her"
synonyms: human being, individual, man/woman, human, being, living soul, soul, mortal, creature, fellow; More
GRAMMAR
a category used in the classification of pronouns, possessive determiners, and verb forms, according to whether they indicate the speaker first person, the addressee second person, or a third party third person.

The second definition is entirely irrelevant here, and a fetus is not generally considered to be an "individual" until birth.

The Grims
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Grims » Mon May 13, 2019 9:34 am

Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:
The Grims wrote:

Having a brain and having a personality are two different things.
And yes, I do believe that it is unrelated on the grounds that the comatose are still people.
per·son
/ˈpərs(ə)n/
noun
synonyms: human being, individual, man/woman, human, being, living soul, soul, mortal, creature, fellow; More
GRAMMAR
a category used in the classification of pronouns, possessive determiners, and verb forms, according to whether they indicate the speaker first person, the addressee second person, or a third party third person.

The second definition is entirely irrelevant here, and a fetus is not generally considered to be an "individual" until birth.

A comatose person has a brain. If they do not we do not call them comatose, but dead. We acknowledge they were persons because they had a brain which gave them thoughts and feelings and dreams and likes and dislikes.

A fetus has none of those. Until rather late in the pregnancy

Alvecia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 17, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Alvecia » Mon May 13, 2019 9:36 am

The Grims wrote:
Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:Having a brain and having a personality are two different things.
per·son
/ˈpərs(ə)n/
noun
GRAMMAR

A comatose person has a brain. If they do not we do not call them comatose, but dead. We acknowledge they were persons because they had a brain which gave them thoughts and feelings and dreams and likes and dislikes.

Feel like you should clarify the difference between having a physical brain occupying space inside the skull, and having a working one, cause you’re starting to confuse me.

Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Mon May 13, 2019 10:19 am

The Grims wrote:
Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:Having a brain and having a personality are two different things.
per·son
/ˈpərs(ə)n/
noun
GRAMMAR

Having a brain and having a personality are two different things. Your computer might have a hard drive, but unless it's got some files and programs, it might as well not.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Mon May 13, 2019 8:44 pm

Luna Amore wrote:

(If I wanted to be a smart-arse, I could point out that the death penalty is legal in far fewer countries and so arguably open to more debate as to legality...)

That said, a broader discussion than legality would be interesting.

The New California Republic wrote:It isn't just legal definitions. The entire concept of personhood would need to be fundamentally rewritten if a few dozen cells counts as a "person"...

Criminal codes, too, if people do want to prevent grave miscarriages of justice:
-- Having a drink at a wedding while pregnant could be construed as reckless endangerment, the same as drinking-driving.
-- What of women who take necessary medication that has a small but known risk of harming the foetus (either not knowing they were pregnant, or because there's no alternative for their medication) -- Would that be child abuse? Would it be assault against the foetus (it's considered assault to force another person to ingest medication against their will).
--If the pregnant woman refused certain medical treatments that the doctor recommended, would that be criminal neglect?
-- And, if the woman has a miscarriage, did she commit a crime? Minimally, if she had said she didn't want it (if she wasn't eating right and taking her vitamins), possible depraved indifference. And, if there's a chance it was deliberate -- Murder.

Incidentally, this isn't out of the realm of possibility, based on of things that have happened where there is foetal personhood:

In a 2013 study in the Journal of Health Politics, Policy and Law, it was discovered that 413 pregnant women between 1973 and 2005 had been forced to undergo interventions (including jail, detention in psychiatric wards, medication and surgery).

From the study:
After repeated police interrogations, Greenup “confessed” that the baby was born alive, and it died because she had failed to provide it with proper care. Greenup was charged with second- degree murder and was incarcerated. Eventually counsel for Greenup obtained her medical records, which revealed that the fetus could not have been older than between eleven to fifteen weeks and that prior to the miscarriage Greenup had been given Depo- Provera, a contraceptive injection that may cause a miscarriage if administered to a woman who is already pregnant. Greenup was finally released, but only after she agreed to plead guilty to a misdemeanour
[...]
In 86 percent of the cases (n = 354), the efforts to deprive pregnant women of their liberty occurred through the use of existing criminal statutes intended for other purposes (see table 1). In those cases the charges most frequently filed were child abuse or child endangerment (n = 204).
Sixty- eight cases involved women who experienced miscarriage, stillbirth, or infant death. In all but six cases, prosecutors attributed the loss entirely to actions or inactions that occurred during the woman’s pregnancy. In forty- eight of those cases, women were charged under variations of the state’s homicide laws, including such crimes as feticide, manslaughter, reckless homicide, homicide by child abuse, and first-degree murder.
[...]
In Utah a feticide law was used as the basis for arresting and charging Melissa Rowland. Rowland gave birth to twins, one of whom was stillborn. Rowland was arrested on charges of criminal homicide, a first- degree felony, based on the claim that she had caused the stillbirth by refusing to have cesarean surgery two weeks earlier.
[...]
An Illinois abortion law stating that “an unborn child is a human being from the time of conception and is, therefore, a legal person for the purposes of the unborn child’s right to life” was cited as authority for forcibly restraining, overpowering, and sedating a pregnant woman in order to carry out a blood transfusion she had refused.

Full study here.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Mon May 13, 2019 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon May 13, 2019 8:47 pm

Alvecia wrote:
Luna Amore wrote:It's a pointless response.

Whether something is or is not legal does not mean something is or is not right, this is true, but it can be one of many indicators.
Rarely are laws made irregardless of right or wrong, more they’re often informed by what is considered right or wrong.

Taxes would be more interesting.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Stagnant Axon Terminal
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Stagnant Axon Terminal » Tue May 14, 2019 1:00 pm

All this talk of personhood is just part of anti-choicer tactics to distract you from the issue at hand: We are not incubators. Nothing, not even a person, has any right to use our bodies against our will.
TET's resident state assessment exam
My sworn enemy is the Toyota 4Runner
I scream a lot.
Also, I'm gonna fuck your girlfriend.
Nanatsu No Tsuki wrote:the fetus will never eat cake if you abort it

Cu Math wrote:Axon is like a bear with a PH.D. She debates at first, then eats your face.
The Empire of Pretantia wrote:THE MAN'S PENIS HAS LEFT THE VAGINA. IT'S THE UTERUS'S TURN TO SHINE.

Kowani
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Tue May 14, 2019 7:19 pm

American History and Historiography; Political and Labour History, Urbanism, Political Parties, Congressional Procedure, Elections.

Servant of The Democracy since 1896.

Historian, of sorts.

Effortposts can be found here!

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Tue May 14, 2019 7:26 pm

Stagnant Axon Terminal wrote:Consent to sex is not consent to pregnancy, period. You consent to an act - you do not consent to an unwanted outcome. And even if someone "consents" to getting pregnant, consent can be revoked. No one has the right to utilize the body of another person against their will, and fetuses are no exception.

"Not consenting to an unwanted outcome" -that is the most foolish logic I've ever seen in my life. If I use electricity, of course I consent to maybe being billed for it and being expected to pay for the cost of that energy being delivered. I know personal responsibility isn't a cool thing for a lot of people, but its still there.

Women who have sexual intercourse with men at mimimum, accept that there is a risk that they might get pregnant if they're not sterile. And a society is not obligated to give any woman an abortion if the majority within that society aren't inclined to do so. A woman who wants to avoid a pregnancy might have to pay a premium or to travel to some place that is willing to do that if where they're at doesn't like abortion in general and doesn't make it available.
Last edited by Saiwania on Tue May 14, 2019 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General