NATION

PASSWORD

[Abortion Thread] (YET ANOTHER POLL!) Taking measure.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What policies would you use to reduce abortion numbers?

Welfare Support for Single Mothers
17%
Free Pregnancy-Related Health Care
17%
Comprehensive Sex Education
21%
Free Contraception
17%
Monetary Incentives (Child Care, Tax Incentives, Kid-Related Healthcare, specify if needed)
13%
No Changes
2%
Procedure Ban (Not outlawing abortion itself, but specific procedures)
3%
Outright Ban (With exceptions or without)
10%

Total votes : 2870

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:17 pm

Medwind wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:So? Legal abortions are restricted at the 24 week mark anyway.

So everything else has failed, and now you are resorting to appeals to emotion? :eyebrow:

"everything else has failed" Really? How about the fact that it is child murder,

It's not. Murder is illegal killing. Where abortion is legal, it's not murder.

Medwind wrote:anti-Christian,

I can't tell you how little that means to non-Christians.

Medwind wrote:a violation of the unborn's rights,

What rights? Enumerate them.
Medwind wrote: irresponsible for the most part as they could have used contraceptives (although in rare cases this fails, and doesn't apply to rape obviously),

You just admitted they fail. Even under perfect use, they fail, and most times they are not utilized perfectly.
Medwind wrote:instead of stepping up and acting like an adult,

Abortion is a responsible, adult decision.

Medwind wrote:when realizing that they brought life into the world, and it is their duty to care for it

Nope. There is no life "brought into the world" if it is not born, and it is no one's duty to have or raise a child they don't want, can't afford, or potentially is ruinous to their health/fatal
Medwind wrote: it's unnatural, what animals kill their own offspring thru abortion because it's an inconvenience? Etc. etc. etc.

You shouldn't have brought up animals and nature.
Why Do Animals Sometimes Kill Their Babies?
Filial Cannibalism: Why Do Animals Sometimes Kill And Eat Their Own Young
Why Some Mannals Kill Babies of Their Own Kind
Why Some Animals Eat Their Young

Medwind wrote: there are plenty of people who would love to adopt a child

https://www.childrensrights.org/newsroo ... ster-care/
On any given day, there are nearly 443,000 children in foster care in the United States.

In 2017, more than 690,000 children spent time in U.S. foster care.

On average, children remain in state care for nearly two years and six percent of children in foster care have languished there for five or more years.

Despite the common perception that the majority of children in foster care are very young, the average age of kids entering care is 8.

In 2017, one third of children entering U.S. foster care were young people of color.

While most children in foster care live in family settings, a substantial minority — 11 percent — live in institutions or group homes.

In 2017, more than 69,000 children – whose mothers’ and fathers’ parental rights had been legally terminated – were waiting to be adopted.

In 2017, more than 17,000 young people aged out of foster care without permanent families. Research has shown that those who leave care without being linked to forever families have a higher likelihood than youth in the general population to experience homelessness, unemployment and incarceration as adults.

So along with all the appeal to emotion, your arguments are factually incorrect.
Medwind wrote:
Estanglia wrote:
It does in some cases.

Murder requires the action to be illegal.

Yeah, so I guess that means the holocaust didn't involve murder, as the Jews didn't have rights.

Don't Godwin. It's not clever and it's offensive. Also: the Jews, Romani, Political dissidents, mentally and physically challeged, twins, homosexuals and other "undesirables" murdered by the Nazis were just that -- murdered -- because they were born people.
Oxes Republic wrote:Adoption and after birth services need to be expanded, yes. Abortion is manslaughter after 24 weeks when the fetus becomes a sentient being. The murder of a sentient being with resonable provocation is manslaughter. Except most abortions occur due to unwanted fetuses, not because the woman’s life is on the line or she was raped.

Can you please stop making up new definitions to suit yourself?
Abortion is not manslaughter.
Oxes Republic wrote:This is my main argument the fetus is a human before 24 weeks in 1 article Enjoy!

No one has said it is not human. Enjoy!

Sanctity of life, man.
Last edited by Katganistan on Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:22 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:But, if someone hits me and I bruise, I am entitled to treat the results of the violation (the bruise) in any way I see fit and so remove the stain from my flesh (cold beef, ice pack, elevating the area, aloe vera… whatever).

The bruise may be "natural", but no-one says, "it's God's will you got hit, so you must bear the results for however long it takes".

So, if someone impregnates a woman (especially in a way that would be termed violating), surely -- by your own comparison -- she is entitled to treat the results, similarly to how she would a bruise, however she would choose, up to and including an abortion?

A bruise, however, is something that body corrects on its own and thus treatment is merely aiding that process. Abortions are not natural. The body has no mechanism for performing one.

The body does have a natural mechanism for aborting a foetus it cannot maintain: miscarriage (sometimes termed a "spontaneous abortion").

An induced abortion is merely aiding that process.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

The Republic of Fore
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Fore » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:20 am

Katganistan wrote:
The Republic of Fore wrote: I also wish we could focus on more important topics.

*shrug* No one's forced you to post here.

*Shrug* Never said I was forced to post here. My opinion was asked, and my opinion is that everyone should focus on more important topics.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:32 am

The Republic of Fore wrote:
Katganistan wrote:*shrug* No one's forced you to post here.

*Shrug* Never said I was forced to post here. My opinion was asked, and my opinion is that everyone should focus on more important topics.

Strange; but alright, whatever. :eyebrow:
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:42 am

Northern Davincia wrote:A bruise, however, is something that body corrects on its own and thus treatment is merely aiding that process. Abortions are not natural. The body has no mechanism for performing one.

About 50% of all pregnancies ends in a natural abortion.
The body certainly is quite able.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:07 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:A bruise, however, is something that body corrects on its own and thus treatment is merely aiding that process. Abortions are not natural. The body has no mechanism for performing one.

About 50% of all pregnancies ends in a natural abortion.
The body certainly is quite able.

Well, since it is natural, by all means, medical ones should be no big deal.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:10 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:But, if someone hits me and I bruise, I am entitled to treat the results of the violation (the bruise) in any way I see fit and so remove the stain from my flesh (cold beef, ice pack, elevating the area, aloe vera… whatever).

The bruise may be "natural", but no-one says, "it's God's will you got hit, so you must bear the results for however long it takes".

So, if someone impregnates a woman (especially in a way that would be termed violating), surely -- by your own comparison -- she is entitled to treat the results, similarly to how she would a bruise, however she would choose, up to and including an abortion?

A bruise, however, is something that body corrects on its own and thus treatment is merely aiding that process. Abortions are not natural. The body has no mechanism for performing one.

I know this has been stated before, but about 1/2 of pregnancies end in a natural abortion (Miscarriage).

Also, the human body views embryos and fetuses as parasites, so it spends 9-10 months trying to kill it.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Oxes Republic
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Oxes Republic » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:10 am

Yes but this “cancer” was a complete choice by you. You chose to give up some personal space and nutrients and money to create another human being to aid the world. If you chose this (which is why abortion should be legal for rape victims), this “clump Of cells” was meant to be their and therefore since it has predetermined potential and purpose, it is a human and deserves to live.
2023-2024 Buffalo Bills Season Failed

The V O I D
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 13, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The V O I D » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:16 am

Oxes Republic wrote:Yes but this “cancer” was a complete choice by you. You chose to give up some personal space and nutrients and money to create another human being to aid the world. If you chose this (which is why abortion should be legal for rape victims), this “clump Of cells” was meant to be their and therefore since it has predetermined potential and purpose, it is a human and deserves to live.

This, again? How many times do we have to say it: consent to sex is not, has never been, and will never be consent to pregnancy. You can desire to have sex without desiring to be pregnant, as well as fulfill this desire and end up pregnant despite precautionary measures. In these cases, abortion exists if a woman still desires to not be pregnant after the fact.

Even if (and that is a very, very, very, very strong 'if' there) consent to sex were consent to pregnancy - just as consent to sex can be revoked during the act of sex (making it rape if the other party continues), consent can be revoked from pregnancy and the fetus remaining inside the womb. Therefore: abortion.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:20 am

Oxes Republic wrote:Yes but this “cancer” was a complete choice by you.

Who...who are you talking to??

Oxes Republic wrote:You chose to give up some personal space and nutrients and money to create another human being to aid the world.

And that's fine for the women who choose that.

Oxes Republic wrote:If you chose this (which is why abortion should be legal for rape victims), this “clump Of cells” was meant to be their and therefore since it has predetermined potential and purpose.

And nobody has a problem with women choosing to continue with the pregnancy. I really don't see what you are trying to achieve by mentioning this, as it seems entirely redundant. It's as obvious and pointless as exclaiming "the sun shines!"...

Oxes Republic wrote:it is a human and deserves to live.

Wait, at first you were talking about the choice of the woman, and now you just drop this complete non sequitur in at the end? :eyebrow:
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Oxes Republic
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Oxes Republic » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:21 am

The only purpose of sex is to reproduce and have abortion, most other reasons are legal crimes. And by having it the only logical purpose should be to reproduce and therefore you must have consent from both sides. Once they initial action is over, consent is set in stone and you must produce a human being. If not you are not giving a fair chance to the fetus to live even though you already consented on their life and gave it purpose. You are taking millions of chances away from the fetus that by having the affair are given to the fetus.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:22 am

Oxes Republic wrote:The only purpose of sex is to reproduce and have abortion, most other reasons are legal crimes. And by having it the only logical purpose should be to reproduce and therefore you must have consent from both sides. Once they initial action is over, consent is set in stone and you must produce a human being. If not you are not giving a fair chance to the fetus to live even though you already consented on their life and gave it purpose. You are taking millions of chances away from the fetus that by having the affair are given to the fetus.

So you think non-reproductive sex should be illegal? Wtf dude.
Once they initial action is over, consent is set in stone and you must produce a human being

Uh no, you cannot just manufacture consent for someone else.
Last edited by Genivaria on Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:23 am

Oxes Republic wrote:The only purpose of sex is to reproduce and have abortion, most other reasons are legal crimes.

This statement should be received with nothing else except blatant, guffawing ridicule.
Last edited by Austria-Bohemia-Hungary on Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Oxes Republic
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Oxes Republic » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:24 am

In a logical and biological sense the only purpose of sex should be to reproduce because other than that it does absolutley nothing. I’m not saying it should be illegal but one must regard the consequences of having it, and shouldn’t have a cheat way out of it by ending a life

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:25 am

Oxes Republic wrote:The only purpose of sex is to reproduce and have abortion, most other reasons are legal crimes.

Sex for pleasure is a crime? Lol wut. :lol2:

Oxes Republic wrote:And by having it the only logical purpose should be to reproduce and therefore you must have consent from both sides. Once they initial action is over, consent is set in stone and you must produce a human being.

That doesn't follow, on account of the fact that sex is not just for preggers.

Oxes Republic wrote:If not you are not giving a fair chance to the fetus to live even though you already consented on their life and gave it purpose.

Consent for sex =/= consent to pregnancy. Seriously man, how many times do we have to say this?

Oxes Republic wrote:You are taking millions of chances away from the fetus that by having the affair are given to the fetus.

Word salad.

Wave on, wave on

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:25 am

Oxes Republic wrote:In a logical and biological sense the only purpose of sex should be to reproduce because other than that it does absolutley nothing.

:rofl:

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

The V O I D
Post Marshal

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The V O I D » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:25 am

Oxes Republic wrote:The only purpose of sex is to reproduce and have abortion, most other reasons are legal crimes. And by having it the only logical purpose should be to reproduce and therefore you must have consent from both sides. Once they initial action is over, consent is set in stone and you must produce a human being. If not you are not giving a fair chance to the fetus to live even though you already consented on their life and gave it purpose. You are taking millions of chances away from the fetus that by having the affair are given to the fetus.

No. Just... this is wrong in so many ways, I don't even know where to fucking begin.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:27 am

Oxes Republic wrote:In a logical and biological sense the only purpose of sex should be to reproduce because other than that it does absolutley nothing.

Either you have never done it or you were doing it wrong.

Wave on, wave on

Oxes Republic
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Oxes Republic » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:27 am

Sex for pleasure is basically having it on a laundry list of things and checking it off. Sex for reproduction should be the only logical reason for it because it literally produces life since humans should be respected. Sex for pleasure is nothing but just doing another thing when this “other thing” produces human life is what I’m trying to say
Last edited by Oxes Republic on Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:28 am

Oxes Republic wrote:Sex for pleasure is basically having it on a laundry list of things and checking it off.

More word salad.

Oxes Republic wrote:Sex for reproduction should be the only logical reason for it because it literally produces life since humans should be respected

Even more word salad.

Wave on, wave on

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:28 am

Oxes Republic wrote:Sex for pleasure is basically having it on a laundry list of things and checking it off. Sex for reproduction should be the only logical reason for it because it literally produces life since humans should be respected

And we reserve our deepest and most profound ridicule for this line of thought-terminating cliche.

MT/MagicT

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:29 am

Oxes Republic wrote:Sex for pleasure is basically having it on a laundry list of things and checking it off. Sex for reproduction should be the only logical reason for it because it literally produces life since humans should be respected

What does this even mean?

The V O I D
Post Marshal

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The V O I D » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:29 am

I don't know where you got this impression from, but, newsflash: sex for pleasure is the new normal. Sex for reproduction only happens when the woman feels good and ready to have a baby, and that usually (not always) means having a spouse as well as a financially stable position in the socioeconomic sphere of things at the least.

Far Easter Republic
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Far Easter Republic » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:29 am

San Lumen wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:I must disagree. A fetus is most certainly a person. The act of birth does not alter personhood.

If a fetus is a person why doesn’t the census count them?

Considering most pregnancies cannot be noticed until usually 6-8 weeks, and the census have never counted them.
[box]Welcome to the Far Easter Republic, where political angles can be left, right, acute or obtuse.
♂♀Copy and Paste this in your sig if you know there are 2 genders and didn't fail biology♂♀
Browns, Indians and Cavs fan.
8values: Centrist:https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=41.5&d=45.2&g=48.5&s=45.2
9axes:https://9axes.github.io/results.html?a=35&b=70&c=55&d=65&e=80&f=15&g=55&h=55&i=85
Compass:Left/Right:3.25; Authoritarian/Libertarian:1.28
https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=1159280
The difference between ISIS and Antifa is ISIS is Muslim, and Antifa wears jeans sometimes.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:30 am

Genivaria wrote:

What does this even mean?

Fuck knows. It's just meaningless noise.

Wave on, wave on

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General