NATION

PASSWORD

[Abortion Thread] (YET ANOTHER POLL!) Taking measure.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What policies would you use to reduce abortion numbers?

Welfare Support for Single Mothers
17%
Free Pregnancy-Related Health Care
17%
Comprehensive Sex Education
21%
Free Contraception
17%
Monetary Incentives (Child Care, Tax Incentives, Kid-Related Healthcare, specify if needed)
13%
No Changes
2%
Procedure Ban (Not outlawing abortion itself, but specific procedures)
3%
Outright Ban (With exceptions or without)
10%

Total votes : 2870

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:23 am

Christian Confederation wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:...

...that... really doesn't answer what I said. Did you read what I wrote? :eyebrow:

Yes there are two options for a unwanted pregnancy, peranting or adoption. Only if rape, incest, or certain death is involved Abortion can happen.

Since neither of those solve the issue of an unwanted pregnancy they are not options.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:43 am

Neutraligon wrote:
Christian Confederation wrote:Yes there are two options for a unwanted pregnancy, peranting or adoption. Only if rape, incest, or certain death is involved Abortion can happen.

Since neither of those solve the issue of an unwanted pregnancy they are not options.

An unwanted pregnancy can't really be solved by anything but the mothers death (obvious no), or the fetus' death (no.)
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Bezkoshtovnya
Senator

Founded: Sep 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezkoshtovnya » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:52 am

Vassenor wrote:
Christian Confederation wrote:Yes there are two options for a unwanted pregnancy, peranting or adoption. Only if rape, incest, or certain death is involved Abortion can happen.

Or we can stop treating women as baby factories and accept they have the unassailable right to control their own body.

As well as treating babies as punishment or only caring about the wellbeing of the fetus until it is actually born.
Dante Alighieri wrote:There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.
ΦΣK
------------------

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:18 pm

Genivaria wrote:So do you believe that person X who needs a kidney has a right to person Y's kidney?
Since choice is apparently out of the question?

No an organ required to live is different from a living person who requires you to servive.

No actually that is literally the same thing, a living person doesn't have a right to my organs or blood.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:18 pm

Genivaria wrote:So do you believe that person X who needs a kidney has a right to person Y's kidney?

No an organ required to live is different from a living person who requires you to servive.

No actually that is literally the same thing, a living person doesn't have a right to my organs or blood.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:20 pm

...that... really doesn't answer what I said. Did you read what I wrote? :eyebrow:

Yes there are two options for a unwanted pregnancy, peranting or adoption. Only if rape, incest, or certain death is involved Abortion can happen.

You've yet to show why abortion is not a valid option.

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:23 pm

I'm generally pro-choice as long as the decision to have an abortion isn't done on discriminatory grounds such as gender or neurotype.
Last edited by SD_Film Artists on Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator

Founded: Aug 03, 2016
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:27 pm

This argument hinges entirely on the idea that fetuses (feti?) are living people, which is largely a matter of opinion.

Bezkoshtovnya
Senator

Founded: Sep 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezkoshtovnya » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:33 pm

Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:
Christian Confederation wrote:No an organ required to live is different from a living person who requires you to servive.

This argument hinges entirely on the idea that fetuses (feti?)

I beleive the proper term is Abominable Wombthings.
Last edited by Bezkoshtovnya on Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dante Alighieri wrote:There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.
ΦΣK
------------------

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:44 pm

Griemvarant wrote:I've leaned pro-choice for a long time, but BS like women openly sobbing when it's ruled that their child having a heartbeat means they can't kill it? That pushes me in the other direction. Plus, there are far too many double standards. Men have no opportunity to renounce fatherhood, even legally, and despite a guy being on the hook for child support if the mother decides to keep the baby he has no say if she decides to abort it even if he'd adopt it and take sole custody. Little boys raped by their teachers will find themselves saddled with years of back child support upon turning 18, and if a man slips his partner the morning-after pill he can be tried for murder despite no such consequence when the woman does it of her own volition.

Plus, infanticide itself should be done away with and turned back into trial for murder: infanticide was only invented because juries were uncomfortable sentencing a mother for murder when she killed her child, so a lesser charge was created - one that almost exclusively applies to women while men are given the (rightful) sentence for murder when killing a baby.

Infanticide is literally "murdering a baby", so I am not sure what you're on about.
I don't get where "slipping someone a morning after pill" is murder either, so please source that?
Mithea III wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:How many times does this need to be reiterated in this thread: contraception can and does fail. Consent to have sex =/= consent to pregnancy.

I am not equating consent to sex as consent to pregnancy, I am equating responsibility. No one simply consents to pregnancy, as I stated in one part of my post. I am equating responsibility to consent to sex. The woman is still responsible for that fetus whether her intent is to get pregnant or not.

And if she did not intend to get pregnant, the RESPONSIBLE thing is to abort if she is not financially, emotionally or socially able to remain pregnant.
Last edited by Katganistan on Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christian Confederation
Senator

Founded: Dec 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Confederation » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:48 pm

Genivaria wrote:

You've yet to show why abortion is not a valid option.

It's not a valid option just because I don't want It.

But abortion is a necessary evil in the case of rape, insest, or danger to the mother and or unborn.
Founder of the moderate alliance
Open to new members, and embassy's.
My telagram box is always open for productive conversation.
IRL political views center right/ right.

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:51 pm

SD_Film Artists wrote:I'm generally pro-choice as long as the decision to have an abortion isn't done on discriminatory grounds such as gender or neurotype.

That's a silly exception.
Katganistan wrote:
Mithea III wrote:I am not equating consent to sex as consent to pregnancy, I am equating responsibility. No one simply consents to pregnancy, as I stated in one part of my post. I am equating responsibility to consent to sex. The woman is still responsible for that fetus whether her intent is to get pregnant or not.

And if she did not intend to get pregnant, the RESPONSIBLE thing is to abort if she is not financially, emotionally or socially able to remain pregnant.

That is the furthest possible thing from responsibility.
Genivaria wrote:You've yet to show why abortion is not a valid option.

But abortion is a necessary evil in the case of rape, insest, or danger to the mother and or unborn.

Define "necessary."
Hoppean Libertarian, Acolyte of von Mises, Protector of Our Sacred Liberties
Economic Left/Right: 9.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:51 pm

Genivaria wrote:You've yet to show why abortion is not a valid option.

Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:52 pm

The Dalek Republic of New Earth wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:...what?

Midlle school science. The fetus is not a part of the mother's body. It is a completely seperate organism.

If so, then she DEFINITELY has every right to have it removed. Alas, it is not "completely separate" when it draws nutrients from her bloodstream and uses her kidneys to removed waste from itself.
The Dalek Republic of New Earth wrote:
Estanglia wrote:
A completely separate organism that is entirely dependent on the mother.

Doesn't sound completely separate to me.

So parents should be allowed to kill a 6 year old child?

Stop comparing apples and space aliens.
Last edited by Katganistan on Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:55 pm

Katganistan wrote:
The Dalek Republic of New Earth wrote:Midlle school science. The fetus is not a part of the mother's body. It is a completely seperate organism.

If so, then she DEFINITELY has every right to have it removed. Alas, it is not "completely separate" when it draws nutrients from her bloodstream and uses her kidneys to removed waste from itself.

That's as silly as removing a breastfeeding newborn.
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:58 pm

Mithea III wrote:
Ors Might wrote:I don’t entirely disagree with the general principle but you might find the comparison between pregnancy and rape to be one that turns far more people away from your ideas than the opposite. The important difference between a fetus and a rapist is that the fetus is unaware. Innocent. A potential newborn. Of course people aren’t going to find the comparison convincing because nobody assigns the fetus the same moral responsibility as the rapist even if the circumstances have some similarity.
I absolutely disagree with the principle. I disagree that the use of the woman's uterus by the fetus is something the woman is allowed to consent to or not. Consent to sex may not equal consent to pregnancy, but it is consent to the possibility of pregnancy as a consequence. There are many things in life that I partake in which has many outcomes. I don't have to literally consent to each and every possibility in order to have to take responsibility for those outcomes. If I invest, I do so with the understanding that I could gain value or lose value. If I lose value, can I resort back to my original value simply by not consenting to losing it in the first place? I am bewildered by the effort to separate responsibility from sex. I would say the vast, VAST majority of people who participate in sexual relations do so with the understanding of what its biological purpose is. If the view of a pro-abortion individual is that a zygote isn't entitled to our natural rights, then one can consistently hold the opinion that a woman can take responsibility of her actions by having an abortion, but then that should be what the focus of the debate is on. I can find no common ground with the idea that a living organism with natural human rights can be restricted its development by the omission of it being in the uterus of a person who is responsible for its creation, and I do not care about the intention to get pregnant or not.

So when you get into a car, you consent to the possibility of being in an accident, and we should leave you bleeding in the vehicle because that's a possible consequence.

Or when you go to a baseball game, if a line drive hits you square in the face, you do not deserve medical attention for the traumatic brain injury you probably have just received, or for the shattered nasal, cheek, or eye-socket bones, because that's a possible consequence you agreed to when you bought your ticket.

That's good to know.

Northern Guaniet Sover wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
Legal precedent is that you cannot force an individual to give up the use of their body (in whole or in part) to preserve the life of another.

Techinachally the law is wrong

Nope, but you are.
The Free Joy State wrote:
Northern Guaniet Sover wrote:Here are the facts It is wrong to have an abotion it is not your body aand not your choice so this has nothing to do with some of you I would not even be talking to you if you were aborted think about and don't just say I would not care Because I would not have felt nothing

"Your mother didn't abort you"... Does one day go by when some pro-life person does not pull this cheap emotionalistic ploy out.

And, incidentally, I would not know. I would have felt nothing.

That is a fact.

The ultimate "I have no logical argument so have some feels."
Last edited by Katganistan on Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:04 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Mithea III wrote: I absolutely disagree with the principle. I disagree that the use of the woman's uterus by the fetus is something the woman is allowed to consent to or not. Consent to sex may not equal consent to pregnancy, but it is consent to the possibility of pregnancy as a consequence. There are many things in life that I partake in which has many outcomes. I don't have to literally consent to each and every possibility in order to have to take responsibility for those outcomes. If I invest, I do so with the understanding that I could gain value or lose value. If I lose value, can I resort back to my original value simply by not consenting to losing it in the first place? I am bewildered by the effort to separate responsibility from sex. I would say the vast, VAST majority of people who participate in sexual relations do so with the understanding of what its biological purpose is. If the view of a pro-abortion individual is that a zygote isn't entitled to our natural rights, then one can consistently hold the opinion that a woman can take responsibility of her actions by having an abortion, but then that should be what the focus of the debate is on. I can find no common ground with the idea that a living organism with natural human rights can be restricted its development by the omission of it being in the uterus of a person who is responsible for its creation, and I do not care about the intention to get pregnant or not.

So when you get into a car, you consent to the possibility of being in an accident, and we should leave you bleeding in the vehicle because that's a possible consequence.

Or when you go to a baseball game, if a line drive hits you square in the face, you do not deserve medical attention because that's a possible consequence you agreed to when you bought your ticket.

That's good to know.

The moral crowd in the pro-life movement is fully aware that expecting mothers need all the help they can get.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:04 pm

Christian Confederation wrote:Can't we all agree that unless the mother or child is in certain danger of death, Abortion is morally wrong.

Nope.

Absolutely not. The fetus requires the woman's uterus to survive.
So we are back to "Give me your kidney, I need it."
Vassenor wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:I can think of a good way of fixing the underfunding issue with the adoption system.

Yup. More robust taxation.

Which many conservatives scream about as being "parasitic" and "welfare queens".

So which is it?
Last edited by Katganistan on Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:08 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
Yup. More robust taxation.

Which many conservatives scream about as being "parasitic" and "welfare queens".

So which is it?

We could just cut spending in other areas. It wouldn't be that difficult.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:08 pm

Fortunately for the rest of civilized society, your ultimatum is untrue.
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:Since neither of those solve the issue of an unwanted pregnancy they are not options.

An unwanted pregnancy can't really be solved by anything but the mothers death (obvious no), or the fetus' death (no.)

An unwanted pregnancy can absolutely be resolved by ending the pregnancy.
Last edited by Katganistan on Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:11 pm

Katganistan wrote:

Fortunately for the rest of civilized society, your ultimatum is untrue.

Argumentum ad populum holds no sway here.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:13 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
Katganistan wrote:Fortunately for the rest of civilized society, your ultimatum is untrue.

Argumentum ad populum holds no sway here.

If their ultimatum was true then abortion wouldn't exist to begin with, but oh look, it exists. Ain't that fascinating?
Last edited by New haven america on Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:14 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
Katganistan wrote:So when you get into a car, you consent to the possibility of being in an accident, and we should leave you bleeding in the vehicle because that's a possible consequence.

Or when you go to a baseball game, if a line drive hits you square in the face, you do not deserve medical attention because that's a possible consequence you agreed to when you bought your ticket.

That's good to know.

The moral crowd in the pro-life movement is fully aware that expecting mothers need all the help they can get.

Only when they're expecting mothers.

Once they pop out the kid they couldn't give 2 shits about what happens to the parent or the kid.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:14 pm

New haven america wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:Argumentum ad populum holds no sway here.

If his ultimatum was true then abortion wouldn't exist to begin with, but oh look, it exists. Ain't that fascinating?

If his ultimatum were true, abortion would still exist under a handful of circumstances. That being said, we should all long for the day when it is no longer perceived as necessary.

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:16 pm

New haven america wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:The moral crowd in the pro-life movement is fully aware that expecting mothers need all the help they can get.

Only when they're expecting mothers.

Once they pop out the kid they couldn't give 2 shits about what happens to the parent or the kid.

[citation needed]

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General