NATION

PASSWORD

[Abortion Thread] (YET ANOTHER POLL!) Taking measure.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What policies would you use to reduce abortion numbers?

Welfare Support for Single Mothers
17%
Free Pregnancy-Related Health Care
17%
Comprehensive Sex Education
21%
Free Contraception
17%
Monetary Incentives (Child Care, Tax Incentives, Kid-Related Healthcare, specify if needed)
13%
No Changes
2%
Procedure Ban (Not outlawing abortion itself, but specific procedures)
3%
Outright Ban (With exceptions or without)
10%

Total votes : 2870

The Caleshan Valkyrie
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 07, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby The Caleshan Valkyrie » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:03 am

Mryasia wrote:I draw the line when you abort 12 or more months of the fetus, or aborting during birth, or aborting even after brith

Ho ho ho...
Godulan Puppet #2, RPing as technologically advanced tribal society founded by mongols and vikings (and later with multiple other Asian and Native American cultures) motivated by an intrinsic devotion to the spirit of competition. They'll walk softly, talk softly, and make soothing noises as they stab you in the back and take your stuff... unless you're another Caleshan, whereupon they'll only stab you in the back figuratively!

Used NS stats: Population. That’s it. Anything else not stated in the factbooks is not used.

Intro RP: Gravity Ships and Garden Snips (involved tribes: Plainsrider, Hawkeye, Wavecrasher)
Current RP: A Rock Out of Place (involved tribes: Night Wolf, Deep Kraken, Starwalker)

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:29 pm

Sacara wrote:
Katganistan wrote:I suppose I'm the exception that proves the rule, then, Godular. I was raised Catholic but very much definitely am pro choice.
Same with my mother. My grandparents, devout Catholics, are very pro-life, my mother is very pro-choice, and I am very pro-life. :blink:

My mom's pro-choice as well, which is surprising given her age.

The Caleshan Valkyrie
Ambassador

New York Times Democracy

Postby The Caleshan Valkyrie » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:48 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Sacara wrote:Same with my mother. My grandparents, devout Catholics, are very pro-life, my mother is very pro-choice, and I am very pro-life. :blink:

My mom started out pro-life. It was an actually reasonable argument from my grandma that made her take the pro-choice path, and that same argument makes me want to spit and laugh in the face of anyone who says a fetus does not inherently harm or threaten the woman within which it resides. Those people make fools of themselves in so doing.

Trust me, my person/self-defense argument is robust and fleshed out. So joke’s on you, Pretantia. I’ve GOT my evidence, you just never stopped to read back.

Last paragraph not intended for Kat, if it is unclear...
Last edited by The Caleshan Valkyrie on Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Godulan Puppet #2, RPing as technologically advanced tribal society founded by mongols and vikings (and later with multiple other Asian and Native American cultures) motivated by an intrinsic devotion to the spirit of competition. They'll walk softly, talk softly, and make soothing noises as they stab you in the back and take your stuff... unless you're another Caleshan, whereupon they'll only stab you in the back figuratively!

Used NS stats: Population. That’s it. Anything else not stated in the factbooks is not used.

Intro RP: Gravity Ships and Garden Snips (involved tribes: Plainsrider, Hawkeye, Wavecrasher)
Current RP: A Rock Out of Place (involved tribes: Night Wolf, Deep Kraken, Starwalker)

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:24 pm

The Caleshan Valkyrie wrote:
Katganistan wrote:

My mom started out pro-life. It was an actually reasonable argument from my grandma that made her take the pro-choice path, and that same argument makes me want to spit and laugh in the face of anyone who says a fetus does not inherently harm or threaten the woman within which it resides. Those people make fools of themselves in so doing.

My mother's pro-choice (and also Christian). Actually, my Dad's also pro-choice. Which, considering -- not only his age, but also his highly conservative views on any number of other postions -- is somewhat surprising.

My mother's mother didn't live long enough for me to have an in-depth conversation on the subject. But since she had a backstreet abortion in the 50s, I can guess her stance pretty well, too.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

The Caleshan Valkyrie
Ambassador

New York Times Democracy

Postby The Caleshan Valkyrie » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:31 pm

The Free Joy State wrote:

My mother's pro-choice (and also Christian). Actually, my Dad's also pro-choice. Which, considering -- not only his age, but also his highly conservative views on any number of other postions -- is somewhat surprising.

My mother's mother didn't live long enough for me to have an in-depth conversation on the subject. But since she had a backstreet abortion in the 50s, I can guess her stance pretty well, too.

Grandma’s fourth kid cost her a kidney. She decided then and there she could not afford to have another, and contraception access just wasn’t what it is now back in the 70s. So up comes mom as a teenager, ravening pro-life talking points, and grandma says “How dare you tell me what I can or cannot do with my own body? I have one functioning kidney because of my last pregnancy, and you can damn well bet I’ll get an abortion if I’m ever pregnant again. I like my remaining liver and I can’t share it anymore.”

Somewhat embellished, but mom agrees with the gist of my re-enactments.

Bip bam boom, mom dropped the pro-life crowd like a rotten tomato.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:58 pm

The Free Joy State wrote:My mother's pro-choice (and also Christian). Actually, my Dad's also pro-choice. Which, considering -- not only his age, but also his highly conservative views on any number of other postions -- is somewhat surprising.

Grandma’s fourth kid cost her a kidney. She decided then and there she could not afford to have another, and contraception access just wasn’t what it is now back in the 70s. So up comes mom as a teenager, ravening pro-life talking points, and grandma says “How dare you tell me what I can or cannot do with my own body? I have one functioning kidney because of my last pregnancy, and you can damn well bet I’ll get an abortion if I’m ever pregnant again. I like my remaining liver and I can’t share it anymore.”

Somewhat embellished, but mom agrees with the gist of my re-enactments.

Bip bam boom, mom dropped the pro-life crowd like a rotten tomato.

It was somewhat similar with granny. Apparently, she'd always had difficult pregnancies. My mother was premature. Not sure about the second. Mum remembers her being really ill with her third pregnancy, but I can't be sure as to how.

Anyway, her husband ups and buggers off and my granny discovers she's pregnant. She's already struggling to raise three young daughters on a pittance -- her husband's totally uncontactable. Her body's shot to hell from three previous pregnancies. So she has a backstreet abortion.

There are people who'd say difficult pregnancies and no financial means of supporting a new child isn't reason enough to abort (despite a lack of reliable contraception to prevent the situation). I'm sure my mother would have rather had her mother, than be shipped off to underfunded foster-care (or Australia) had her mother died due to pregnancy/childbirth related issues or been no longer been able to feed her.

I'm sure that's at least partly why my she's pro-choice. That, and, from her Christian perspective, when I was a child, one of her most-employed phrases (in general) was: "There but by the grace of God go I" (and then said, don't judge -- you could end up in the same situation through no fault of your own).
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:50 pm, edited 10 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:44 am

Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft wrote:
The V O I D wrote:
There's no right to kill, certainly, but there is a right to choose whether one remains pregnant or not. And it is always the woman's choice.

Plus, what do you define as human life? If you define it by consciousness and mental ability to suffer (as I personally do), then a foetus is not alive until 24-30 weeks. If you define it by autonomy (can it survive outside the womb?), then a foetus is not alive until viability (at the very least 20 weeks).

I define it by its species. Is it human? Then it cannot be killed unless it poses a threat to the mother, or society.

No other option is reasonable.

If we take your definition, then sleeping humans can be killed. The mentally challenged can be killed. Those who live only due to surgeries, in comas, or due to technological intervention can be killed.
Eastern Orthodox Christian
Christ is King
Glorify Him

capitalism is not natural
secularism is not neutral
liberalism is not tolerant

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:21 am

Distruzio wrote:
Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft wrote:Plus, what do you define as human life? If you define it by consciousness and mental ability to suffer (as I personally do), then a foetus is not alive until 24-30 weeks. If you define it by autonomy (can it survive outside the womb?), then a foetus is not alive until viability (at the very least 20 weeks).

If we take your definition, then sleeping humans can be killed. The mentally challenged can be killed. Those who live only due to surgeries, in comas, or due to technological intervention can be killed.

All of those are sentient and sapient, and are people. Fetuses aren't.

Humans being asleep doesn't take away their personhood. Humans having psychiatric difficulties doesn't take away their personhood. Humans being in comas doesn't take away their personhood.

Sleeping humans are sapient and sentient before, during, and after being asleep, the difference is that sapience and sentience is exercised in a dream state when asleep. Humans with psychiatric difficulties are sapient and sentient, it just doesn't function according to the average. Humans being in comas, unless clinically brain dead, are sapient and sentient in a dream-like state.

The fetus, on the other hand, up to a certain stage does not exhibit sentience or sapience, and is not defined as a person until after birth.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:33 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Distruzio wrote:If we take your definition, then sleeping humans can be killed. The mentally challenged can be killed. Those who live only due to surgeries, in comas, or due to technological intervention can be killed.

All of those are sentient and sapient, and are people. Fetuses aren't.

Humans being asleep doesn't take away their personhood. Humans having psychiatric difficulties doesn't take away their personhood. Humans being in comas doesn't take away their personhood.

Sleeping humans are sapient and sentient before, during, and after being asleep, the difference is that sapience and sentience is exercised in a dream state when asleep. Humans with psychiatric difficulties are sapient and sentient, it just doesn't function according to the average. Humans being in comas, unless clinically brain dead, are sapient and sentient in a dream-like state.

The fetus, on the other hand, up to a certain stage does not exhibit sentience or sapience, and is not defined as a person until after birth.

Irrelevant.

It's human. That's enough.

As your explanation amusingly illustrates, "personhood" is so supremely subjective that it is wholly without value as a quantifiable benchmark for consideration. I mean... the logic you just used counters itself as you admit that sapience and sentience are processes of being unique to time, situations and individuals. If both sapience and sentience are transitional in the manner you describe... why doesn't the same - do not kill - rule apply to those that will become sapient or sentience in time, under difference circumstances, depending on the individual?

In other words... if I cannot kill a sleeping person because he will wake up... why can I kill a fetus even though he will, also, "wake up"?
Christ is King
Glorify Him

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:44 am

Distruzio wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:All of those are sentient and sapient, and are people. Fetuses aren't.

Irrelevant.

As your explanation amusingly illustrates, "personhood" is so supremely subjective that it is wholly without value as a quantifiable benchmark for consideration.

It isn't subjective at all. All of those examples I just gave you fall within the definition I gave you several days ago.

Distruzio wrote:I mean... the logic you just used counters itself as you admit that sapience and sentience are processes of being unique to time, situations and individuals.

I didn't say that at all, I referenced them as a constant thing all the way through. The way they are expressed might be different, sure, but their core definition remains the same.

Distruzio wrote:If both sapience and sentience are transitional in the manner you describe... why doesn't the same - do not kill - rule apply to those that will become sapient or sentience in time, under difference circumstances, depending on the individual?

Personhood. And in all those other cases they either were or are sentient and sapient before or currently. The fetus has never exhibited sentience or sapience before or currently, and is not a person.

Distruzio wrote:In other words... if I cannot kill a sleeping person because he will wake up... why can I kill a fetus even though he will, also, "wake up"?

The first is a person, it'd be murder. The second is not a person, it is called abortion.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Hakons
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Hakons » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:50 am

Human rights are based on humanity, not some abstraction called personhood. It is contrary to God's will, nature, and basic morality to kill a fetus because that is killing a human. An abortion is undeniably the killing of a human life, and retreating to philosophical abstraction doesn't change that.
“All elements of the national life must be made to drink in the Life which proceedeth from Him: legislation, political institutions, education, marriage and family life, capital and labour.” —Pope Leo XIII

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:58 am

Hakons wrote:Human rights are based on humanity, not some abstraction called personhood.

Human rights exist as part of legal frameworks, and it is the same with abortion.

Hakons wrote:It is contrary to God's will, nature, and basic morality to kill a fetus because that is killing a human.

Not everyone shares your religion.

Hakons wrote:An abortion is undeniably the killing of a human life, and retreating to philosophical abstraction doesn't change that.

Sure, nobody is disputing that. It is not killing a sentient and sapient person however.

Wave on, wave on

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:59 am

Distruzio wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:All of those are sentient and sapient, and are people. Fetuses aren't.

Irrelevant.

As your explanation amusingly illustrates, "personhood" is so supremely subjective that it is wholly without value as a quantifiable benchmark for consideration. I mean... the logic you just used counters itself as you admit that sapience and sentience are processes of being unique to time, situations and individuals. If both sapience and sentience are transitional in the manner you describe... why doesn't the same - do not kill - rule apply to those that will become sapient or sentience in time, under difference circumstances, depending on the individual?

In other words... if I cannot kill a sleeping person because he will wake up... why can I kill a fetus even though he will, also, "wake up"?

You don't crawl inside someone else's body and get hooked up to their organs to take a nap.

Someone in a coma is not using someone else's body against their will.

This forced use of an unwilling person's body, not to mention forcing another person risk their mental and physical wellbeing, is where the issue is.

By the way, personhood does have a quantifiable benchmark. Someone is defined as being a person from birth in the US code:

U.S. Code › Title 1 › Chapter 1 › § 8

1 U.S. Code § 8 - “Person”, “human being”, “child”, and “individual” as including born-alive infant

US Code
(a) In determining the meaning of any Act of Congress, or of any ruling, regulation, or interpretation of the various administrative bureaus and agencies of the United States, the words “person”, “human being”, “child”, and “individual”, shall include every infant member of the species homo sapiens who is born alive at any stage of development.
(b) As used in this section, the term “born alive”, with respect to a member of the species homo sapiens, means the complete expulsion or extraction from his or her mother of that member, at any stage of development, who after such expulsion or extraction breathes or has a beating heart, pulsation of the umbilical cord, or definite movement of voluntary muscles, regardless of whether the umbilical cord has been cut, and regardless of whether the expulsion or extraction occurs as a result of natural or induced labor, cesarean section, or induced abortion.
(c) Nothing in this section shall be construed to affirm, deny, expand, or contract any legal status or legal right applicable to any member of the species homo sapiens at any point prior to being “born alive” as defined in this section.
(Added Pub. L. 107–207, § 2(a), Aug. 5, 2002, 116 Stat. 926.)

Likewise, UK law does not award rights to foetuses ("At present UK Law states that the unborn child only becomes a legal person invested with legal rights and full protections, like other human persons, at birth.")

The UN's first article states:
All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Key word: "born", as the UN has also discussed adding an amendment to codify that a foetus is not separate person in law.

So, I'd say that, rather than being abstract, personhood is pretty clearly defined in international law.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:16 am, edited 6 times in total.

Hakons
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hakons » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:15 am

Hakons wrote:Human rights are based on humanity, not some abstraction called personhood.

Human rights exist as part of legal frameworks, and it is the same with abortion.

Hakons wrote:It is contrary to God's will, nature, and basic morality to kill a fetus because that is killing a human.

Not everyone shares your religion.

Hakons wrote:An abortion is undeniably the killing of a human life, and retreating to philosophical abstraction doesn't change that.

Sure, nobody is disputing that. It is not killing a sentient and sapient person however.

Yes, not everyone shares my religion, but the truths espoused by my religion are not contained exclusively within it, but are universally true. In other words, God's will expressly applies to everyone, and not just Christians. Regardless, I also referred to nature (in this case the basic necessity of reproduction) and basic morality (killing of innocence).

I don't see the necessity of defining value by sapiency. Human life comes from human life. Since we know an infant is a human, we must necessarily recognize that a fetus is a human. The fault in your position is best expressed by how the phrase "I won't kill a person, but I will kill a human" is considered valid and moral under your system.
“All elements of the national life must be made to drink in the Life which proceedeth from Him: legislation, political institutions, education, marriage and family life, capital and labour.” —Pope Leo XIII

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:27 am

Hakons wrote:Yes, not everyone shares my religion, but the truths espoused by my religion are not contained exclusively within it, but are universally true. In other words, God's will expressly applies to everyone, and not just Christians.

No it doesn't. You might assume or hope that it does, but it doesn't.

Hakons wrote:Regardless, I also referred to nature (in this case the basic necessity of reproduction)

Reproduction as a whole, yes. Nature doesn't really give a shit about the deaths of individual fetuses though.

Hakons wrote:and basic morality (killing of innocence).

Innocence is irrelevant if the fetus is there without the consent of the woman.

Hakons wrote:I don't see the necessity of defining value by sapiency.

I do. Vegetarians and vegans do too, when they justify eating plants and not animals on the basis of consciousness.

Hakons wrote:Human life comes from human life. Since we know an infant is a human, we must necessarily recognize that a fetus is a human.

Nobody is disputing the former or the latter.

Hakons wrote:The fault in your position is best expressed by how the phrase "I won't kill a person, but I will kill a human" is considered valid and moral under your system.

I don't see how that is a fault. I would switch off the life support machine of a human who was brain dead...

Wave on, wave on

Hakons
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hakons » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:31 am

Hakons wrote:Yes, not everyone shares my religion, but the truths espoused by my religion are not contained exclusively within it, but are universally true. In other words, God's will expressly applies to everyone, and not just Christians.

No it doesn't. You might assume or hope that it does, but it doesn't.

Hakons wrote:Regardless, I also referred to nature (in this case the basic necessity of reproduction)

Reproduction as a whole, yes. Nature doesn't really give a shit about the deaths of individual fetuses though.

Hakons wrote:and basic morality (killing of innocence).

Innocence is irrelevant if the fetus is there without the consent of the woman.

Hakons wrote:I don't see the necessity of defining value by sapiency.

I do. Vegetarians and vegans do too, when they justify eating plants and not animals on the basis of consciousness.

Hakons wrote:Human life comes from human life. Since we know an infant is a human, we must necessarily recognize that a fetus is a human.

Nobody is disputing the former or the latter.

Hakons wrote:The fault in your position is best expressed by how the phrase "I won't kill a person, but I will kill a human" is considered valid and moral under your system.

I don't see how that is a fault. I would switch off the life support machine of a human who was brain dead...

I really can't talk with you if you think it's fine to kill humans. As is usual for this thread, carry on with your murderous barbarism.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:12 am

Hakons wrote:I really can't talk with you if you think it's fine to kill humans. As is usual for this thread, carry on with your murderous barbarism.

I mean you could respond to my arguments, but whatever. If you have upped and left the room then I guess I win our little debate by default.

Wave on, wave on

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:24 am

Elective and unrestricted as well as justified for all of the reasons given plus just plain old "not wanting (another) kid right now". Unfortunately, it is not possible to select all the justifiable reasons as well as whether or not it should be restricted.

And yes, everyone who doesn't want to be involved in a pregnancy should take appropriate precautions to prevent it, everyone should be educated about their options and everyone should have easy access to all their options. Unfortunately, we do not live in a perfect world, so precautions do not always work and the person who finds themselves pregnant should be able to stop it basically whenever.

Slagenmat
Civilian

Founded: Oct 09, 2018
New York Times Democracy

Postby Slagenmat » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:33 am

Hakons wrote:I really can't talk with you if you think it's fine to kill humans. As is usual for this thread, carry on with your murderous barbarism.

I mean you could respond to my arguments, but whatever. If you have upped and left the room then I guess I win our little debate by default.

I believe that abortion is murder and I think that if you want to do abortion you should have thought about that beforehand.

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:10 pm

The Free Joy State wrote:
Distruzio wrote:
Irrelevant.

You don't crawl inside someone else's body and get hooked up to their organs to take a nap.

But abortionists do crawl inside another persons body to dismember a second person.

Indeed. The abortionist believes that some magical property of the female person grants them the right to determine the value of life.

That's anti-egalitarian claptrap.

This forced use of an unwilling person's body, not to mention forcing another person risk their mental and physical wellbeing, is where the issue is.

No. The issue is the forced termination of life.

Human life.

Period.

By the way, personhood does have a quantifiable benchmark. Someone is defined as being a person from birth in the US code:

1 U.S. Code § 8 - “Person”, “human being”, “child”, and “individual” as including born-alive infant

US Code
(a) In determining the meaning of any Act of Congress, or of any ruling, regulation, or interpretation of the various administrative bureaus and agencies of the United States, the words “person”, “human being”, “child”, and “individual”, shall include every infant member of the species homo sapiens who is born alive at any stage of development.
(b) As used in this section, the term “born alive”, with respect to a member of the species homo sapiens, means the complete expulsion or extraction from his or her mother of that member, at any stage of development, who after such expulsion or extraction breathes or has a beating heart, pulsation of the umbilical cord, or definite movement of voluntary muscles, regardless of whether the umbilical cord has been cut, and regardless of whether the expulsion or extraction occurs as a result of natural or induced labor, cesarean section, or induced abortion.
(c) Nothing in this section shall be construed to affirm, deny, expand, or contract any legal status or legal right applicable to any member of the species homo sapiens at any point prior to being “born alive” as defined in this section.

Indeed. But that isn't the definition TNCR used, is it? If that's the definition you use for person... I rather think you're being incredibly disingenuous. Because this definition bares no mark on the efficacy of the question central to the thread: "where do you draw the line?"

You're hiding behind the legal definition as it stands. That's fine. Fair even. But doing that means that you have to implicitly acknowledge the just cause that I, or other anti-abortionists, have in seeking to amend or repeal certain parts of that definition.

If that's the hill you want to stand on. Do it. Cool. Just means that you're ill prepared to argue against the anti-abortionists.

You are, effectively, defending the right to kill on the basis that, at the moment in America, it is legal to kill.
Christ is King
Glorify Him

Estanglia
Senator

Founded: Dec 31, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Estanglia » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:36 pm

Distruzio wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:You don't crawl inside someone else's body and get hooked up to their organs to take a nap.

But abortionists do crawl inside another persons body to dismember a second person.

It's not a person.

Indeed. The abortionist believes that some magical property of the female person grants them the right to determine the value of life.

That's anti-egalitarian claptrap.

Again with this 'it's because it's a woman' line?
There happens to be a pretty big difference between men and women that means only women can have an abortion. And it's not an arbitrary 'it's a woman!' reason.

US Code

Indeed. But that isn't the definition TNCR used, is it? If that's the definition you use for person... I rather think you're being incredibly disingenuous. Because this definition bares no mark on the efficacy of the question central to the thread: "where do you draw the line?"

It does. Whether or not you see the fetus as a person can have a bearing on whether or not you support the legalisation of abortion.
You're hiding behind the legal definition as it stands. That's fine. Fair even. But doing that means that you have to implicitly acknowledge the just cause that I, or other anti-abortionists, have in seeking to amend or repeal certain parts of that definition.

Sure, you can try to change that definition.

If that's the hill you want to stand on. Do it. Cool. Just means that you're ill prepared to argue against the anti-abortionists.

How are we ill prepared?

You are, effectively, defending the right to kill on the basis that, at the moment in America, it is legal to kill.

Not really. We're defending the legalisation of abortion for many reasons. In terms of the personhood argument, we defend the legalisation of abortion on the basis that the fetus does not fulfil the definition of a person, as they do not fulfil the characteristics of being a person, whether or not that definition comes from the US government. Even if the definition of person changes, you'll still see people defending the right to choose an abortion on the basis that the fetus doesn't fulfil certain conditions. It just so happens that these conditions form the definition of personhood.
Yeah: Egalitarianism, equality
Meh: Labour, the EU
Nah: pointless discrimination, authoritarianism, Brexit, Trump, both American parties, the Conservatives
I flop between "optimistic about the future" and "pessimistic about the future" every time I go on NSG.

(Taken 29/08/2020)
Political compass test:
Economic Left/Right: -6.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.05

8values thinks I'm a Libertarian Socialist.

Torrocca wrote:"Your honor, it was not mein fault! I didn't order the systematic genocide of millions of people, it was the twenty kilograms of pure-cut Bavarian cocaine that did it!"

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:46 pm

Distruzio wrote:Indeed. But that isn't the definition TNCR used, is it? If that's the definition you use for person... I rather think you're being incredibly disingenuous. Because this definition bares no mark on the efficacy of the question central to the thread: "where do you draw the line?"

It does though. The argument has hinged on the question of personhood for a long time. Go back through the arguments in the hundreds of pages of this thread and the previous abortion thread, it has hinged around the question of personhood for a long time.

Distruzio wrote:You're hiding behind the legal definition as it stands. That's fine. Fair even. But doing that means that you have to implicitly acknowledge the just cause that I, or other anti-abortionists, have in seeking to amend or repeal certain parts of that definition.

We could make the accusation that you are hiding behind your insistence on focusing on species rather than personhood, but...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

At least we have some kind of legal framework that we are working off of. You, on the other hand, don't. In your case, it is more along the lines of "this definition needs to be changed, or we need to put more emphasis on human itself rather than personhood, etc". While that's fine, just know that you are having to change them or the overall legal focus from personhood to human to make your argument cogent; and it isn't necessarily "just" to do that from our perspective.

Distruzio wrote:If that's the hill you want to stand on. Do it. Cool. Just means that you're ill prepared to argue against the anti-abortionists.

I'd say that we are fighting our corner pretty well. If the problem of animosity comes down to differences of definition, then that really isn't our fault.

Distruzio wrote:You are, effectively, defending the right to kill on the basis that, at the moment in America, it is legal to kill.

Oh shit, the red underlined text is being used! :lol2:

Wave on, wave on

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:47 pm

Slagenmat wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:I mean you could respond to my arguments, but whatever. If you have upped and left the room then I guess I win our little debate by default.

I believe that abortion is murder and I think that if you want to do abortion you should have thought about that beforehand.

lolwut.

Wave on, wave on

The Caleshan Valkyrie
Ambassador

New York Times Democracy

Postby The Caleshan Valkyrie » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:57 pm

Slagenmat wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:I mean you could respond to my arguments, but whatever. If you have upped and left the room then I guess I win our little debate by default.

On what basis? And you haven’t responded to his points either.

San Lumen
Post Kaiser

Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby San Lumen » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:02 pm

Slagenmat wrote:

You'd force a victim of rape or incest to carry the child to term?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General