NATION

PASSWORD

Should we monitor negative social media posts?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Sirocca
Spokesperson

Founded: May 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Should we monitor negative social media posts?

Postby Sirocca » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:55 pm

From Foxnews.com: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018/07/ ... =obnetwork
Can we talk? I'm a millennial and I'm struggling with the poisonous side of social media
By Kaylee Keller

Published July 16, 2018
FoxNews.com
Once upon a time, if you wanted to smear someone anonymously from a distance, you had to write on a bathroom wall. The words were still painful, but the scale was local. Today, cowards and bullies can conveniently deride human targets globally, hiding behind screen names and unknown caller IDs, more easily sending their poison out on social media with the clear intent of causing harm. I should know.

As a musical artist, one of the great joys of my life is meeting people across the country, sharing songs that tell a true stories of life’s joy, pain and potential. But as my work comes to the attention of more people, I also become a target as some use the most amazing technology the world has ever seen to smear virtual bathroom wall epithets.

I know I’m not alone. E-Online recently listed a number of people in the spotlight who have considered leaving social media altogether or took the drastic step of shutting down after repeated harassment – artists that include Justin Bieber, actress Ariel Winter, Stranger Things’ Millie Bobby Brown, Star Wars’ Kelly Marie Tran, Star Wars’ Daisy Ridley, Walking Dead’s Josh McDermitt, Ghostbusters Leslie Jones and others.

Words can really hurt. A study from the Center for Research on Media, Technology and Health at the University of Pittsburgh in Pennsylvania out this week found that “(e)ach 10 percent increase in a student's negative experiences on social media was associated with a 20 percent increase in the odds of depressive symptoms.” Sadly, positive experiences didn’t erase the negative very much.

The kind of derision and bullying that occupies social media isn’t something that you can easily opt out of as a world of people mobilize using the media that surrounds us.

Sure I can become a virtual hermit, but that’s a tough way to build a career. It would also be the same thing as cutting myself off from the vibrant life of my generation.

Millennials are plugged in. Today, 73 percent of my generation are on YouTube; 68 percent on Facebook; 78 percent on Snapchat; 71 percent on Instagram and close to half of us use Twitter, according to Pew. When basically 3 out of 4 of your peers are engaged in an activity, it affects you.

Social media absolutely impacts well-being, especially mental and emotional health, as stories of the bullied who end their lives make headlines illustrates. In fact, 8 in 10 people believe it’s easier to get away with bullying online rather than in person. Tragic.

But it’s not just as an entertainer that I’ve had to endure. Like most women, I’ve had a #MeToo season where I needed to defend myself against the games others wanted to play. As a high school student in Kansas, I became a target for a group of bullies who threatened me and harassed me anonymously in social media and at school, messing with my car and making their animus known in the cowardly quiet way that is possible with all the tools my generation loves.

Eventually I left the school. I was blessed. I had a mom who helped me move on and friends and family who stood with me.

That experience really plays out in my music, where I want to encourage those who feel like they are on the outside of life looking in without anyone to watch their back. In Diamond, a song that really celebrates rising from the ashes of those kinds of bad experiences, I try and encourage people to look past life’s trials to find their own, original beauty. It’s a message I also share when I speak at high school events where teens who are suffering can connect with strategies to not just endure, but to overcome harsh treatment.

I really appreciated it when, in First Lady Melania Trump’s “Be Best” campaign, she identified social media as an area that we need to focus on to achieve well-being. It was disappointing that the reactions of some was to mock the anti-bullying messages she was trying to share, probably in part based on the kinds of things she has had to endure.

Social media absolutely impacts well-being, especially mental and emotional health, as stories of the bullied who end their lives make headlines illustrates. In fact, 8 in 10 people believe it’s easier to get away with bullying online rather than in person. Tragic.

After seeing a video I made about sexual harassment, one of the guys who once tormented me reached out to apologize. “I know we made some amends,” he wrote me. “But Kaylee, I’m so terribly sorry for being a part of that.” We’ve reconciled.

There’s a dual message for my generation when it comes to social media. First, follow the Golden Rule 2.0: Don’t post about others what you wouldn’t want to see posted about yourself. And Second: Don’t take to heart everything that is said about you.

I’m not sure you can fix the problem of using social media as a weapon with a one-size-fits all law, but this demands a conversation. Social media becomes a positive force one person at a time, as each of us decides whether to use it to build people up or tear them down.

Kaylee Keller is a singer, song writer, musical artist, and public speaker for youth, anti-bullying and empowerment programs who knows there’s no place like Kansas. Follow her at @KayNoelKeller or on Facebook.

I just think these stories about my generation are sad. One thing our parents and grandparents generation had growing up is that at least you were able to escape from such bullying. I do think that we need to have some official group or committee to monitor or restrict some negative things to social media to lessen or reverse the dark side. I don't believe that it should be operated centrally like a government organization, but society really needs to do harder to soften or slow the negative effects. I'm philosophically skeptical about technology in general, even though I lean towards live-and-let-live. Not as much if the trend is causing an increase in bullying or other very negative behavior in this case.

What is the collective opinions of NS about social media monitoring?

The Lone Alliance
Powerbroker

Founded: May 25, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Lone Alliance » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:57 pm

I think social media brings out the worst in everyone. Why I don't use it.
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger." -Herman Goering
--------------
War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; -William Tecumseh Sherman

Rockwellshire
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rockwellshire » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:58 pm

No.

Sirocca
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Sirocca » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:02 pm

The Lone Alliance wrote:I think social media brings out the worst in everyone. Why I don't use it.

Are you a millennial?

Western-Ukraine
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Western-Ukraine » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:08 pm

That'd be going too far. Only monitor the illegal and the most inappropriate content like gore or sexual concepts. And the latter only to some extent. Negative articles, news and posts sure are a bit depressing, but people have a right to self-expression and it shouldn't be restricted without a very good reason. Or else we're off to a dangerous road.
Factbooks: National Politics
Region: U R N

Politics is a zero-sum game.

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:25 pm

No. That's a bit too close to having Big Brother Watching me.

The Lone Alliance
Powerbroker

Founded: May 25, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Lone Alliance » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:27 pm

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:No. That's a bit too close to having Big Brother Watching me.

I'll agree with that too, while I think Social Media is toxic as hell to a lot of people trying to censor it isn't going to stop it from being toxic, those toxic people will always exist in some form or fashion on the internet after all.
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger." -Herman Goering
--------------
War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; -William Tecumseh Sherman

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:28 pm

No
All shall tremble before me

Sirocca
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Sirocca » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:30 pm

Well, not really censoring but I'd like people in my generation to have an improved outlook than now.

Gig em Aggies
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 15, 2009
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Gig em Aggies » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:31 pm

the day any democratic nation in the west starts cracking down on negative media like Venezuela or China is the day we become 1984. if we start down that road we might as well just engineer humans to not have hands or mouths so we could never speak or write anything positive or negative.
“One of the serious problems of planning against Aggie doctrine is that the Aggies do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine.”
“The reason that the Aggies does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the Aggies practices chaos on a daily basis.”
“If we don’t know what we are doing, the enemy certainly can’t anticipate our future actions!”

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:56 pm

As sad and hateful as these are, no. I don't think negative social media posts should be de facto monitored. People who bully others are assholes and I don't like them personally but they should be allowed to post hateful comments. Freedoms and all.

I would, as a parent, pay attention closely if my child is being bullied online, but just monitor mere negative posts? Nope.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Chernoslavia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chernoslavia » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:57 pm

No
What would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive? Or if during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand? The Organs would quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt!

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:00 pm

I want to say no. Of course. Free speech and freedom and all of that. But I knew someone who committed suicide because of inappropriate and cruel posts on social media. It's a really serious problem so it needs to be corrected somehow and if that means monitering negative posts then so be it.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:02 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:It depends on the posts, in my eyes.

Usually, no, but if they present a danger to society and the liberties of others, i.e. people who believe in genocide or that the jews should be shot or the like...

Merely saying that online, as fucked up as it is, is not a danger to society per se. It sucks that in this day and age some people advocate such ideas, but they should have a right to post that in their social media if they want to without having to deal with the authorities and the like.

Now, if it goes beyond just posting such and enters the realm of killing someone just because that person is Jewish, then yes. Bring in the authorities. But just posting it? No.
Last edited by Nanatsu no Tsuki on Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:03 pm

How do conservative groups find the wimpiest millennials?
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:04 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:
Geneviev wrote:I want to say no. Of course. Free speech and freedom and all of that. But I knew someone who committed suicide because of inappropriate and cruel posts on social media. It's a really serious problem so it needs to be corrected somehow and if that means monitering negative posts then so be it.

What about cyber harassment/cyber bullying?

If it is death threats, telling someone to kill themselves, or anything like that then yes. It needs to go away whatever way is possible.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Engleberg
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Engleberg » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:05 pm

We should monitor the illegal stuff and defamatory stuff. Just plain negative posts shouldn't be censored.
Umbrellya wrote:"You are literally the most unashamed German I've ever met."

Wiena wrote:"Engleberg you surely are the most savage guy in the whole game."

West Leas Oros 2 wrote:Anything Left of Center: *exists*
Engle: FUCKING REDS!

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:06 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:
Geneviev wrote:If it is death threats, telling someone to kill themselves, or anything like that then yes. It needs to go away whatever way is possible.

What about "I wish you would kill yourself"?
Or stalking them with hostile intent?
I feel they could be dangerous in that regard.

The first is telling someone to kill themselves. Stalking and harrassment that can be considered threatening has to be illegal already.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:07 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Merely saying that online, as fucked up as it is, is not a danger to society per se. It sucks that in this day and age some people advocate such ideas, but they should have a right to post that in the social media if they want to without having to deal with the authorities and the like.

Now, if it goes beyond just posting such and enters the realm of killing someone just because that person is Jewish, then yes. Bring in the authorities. But just posting it? No.

No I mean if they post their intent to join or make a political party/organization that advocates that or they actually do, or other stuff like killing people in their own country for having different a religion.

Merely joining such a group is not a crime. I can say I'm going to joint the Capacracy Now Party, and that party advocates human sterilization en masse (hypothetical). That's not a crime, just saying I'm going to join such a party.

Now, if the party actually engages in kidnapping and sterilizing humans against their will, then yes, bring in the authorities. But just for saying something? Nah.
Slava Ukraini

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:08 pm

Illegal stuff probably should be monitored, or something fishy. If someone kept asking for an information about some rifle, where to get one, or on how to set up a bomb, you should probably report it to someone.

I might also want to add that anti-vax posts should be monitored just to check on the child. So many poor kids dying because of quackery.

Other than that, negative posts should not be monitored. Come on, I might have a bad day sometimes, let me vent it out.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Western-Ukraine
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Western-Ukraine » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:08 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Eternal Lotharia wrote:What about cyber harassment/cyber bullying?

If it is death threats, telling someone to kill themselves, or anything like that then yes. It needs to go away whatever way is possible.

It wouldn't be much of a reach to implement, anyway. Some individuals have already been punished for urging people to commit suicide, when it lead to that. Pre-emptive measures are used elsewhere too.
Factbooks: National Politics
Region: U R N

Politics is a zero-sum game.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:09 pm

Valentine Z wrote:Illegal stuff should be monitored and watched as per usual. I might also want to add that anti-vax posts should be monitored just to check on the child. So many poor kids dying because of quackery.

Other than that, negative posts should not be monitored. Come on, I might have a bad day sometimes, let me vent it out.

Parents have a final say, very often, on their kids's medical treatment. Anti-vaxxers suck, but you can't have the state devoting countless hours just babysitting parents that won't vaccinate their kids.
Slava Ukraini

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:10 pm

Western-Ukraine wrote:
Geneviev wrote:If it is death threats, telling someone to kill themselves, or anything like that then yes. It needs to go away whatever way is possible.

It wouldn't be much of a reach to implement, anyway. Some individuals have already been punished for urging people to commit suicide, when it lead to that. Pre-emptive measures are used elsewhere too.

What would be best is if it is punished before a suicide. Or after an unsuccessful suicide attempt.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:12 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Valentine Z wrote:Illegal stuff should be monitored and watched as per usual. I might also want to add that anti-vax posts should be monitored just to check on the child. So many poor kids dying because of quackery.

Parents have a final say, very often, on their kids's medical treatment. Anti-vaxxers suck, but you can't have the state devoting countless hours just babysitting parents that won't vaccinate their kids.

That is very unfortunate. It's only during the breakout you can help the kid.

But maybe we can still monitor it. I was thinking peer-monitoring. If state monitoring is akin to Big Brother watching them and they don't like it, some concerned friend still has the right to check up on them often.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:12 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Merely joining such a group is not a crime. I can say I'm going to joint the Capacracy Now Party, and that party advocates human sterilization en masse (hypothetical). That's not a crime, just saying I'm going to join such a party.

Now, if the party actually engages in kidnapping and sterilizing humans against their will, then yes, bring in the authorities. But just for saying something? Nah.

Going on hypotheticals let's assume an actual nazi party wins the senatorship in say new york.
They aren't acting on it yet, but it's part of their platform.
What about their social media accounts?
Social media can be used to elevate such groups to power, theoretically.

If they win power and control things now, your point would be moot, don't you think? However, I'm sure you would have a federal government actively paying attention to what you'll do in your state and as soon as you violate the constitution, they'll be knocking on your front door so...
Slava Ukraini

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General